Stage Select

The NRS Thread

7 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Christ this game is enormous. Copped on Steam sake and I never knew it was like 100 GB. 

Not a huge deal but Christ why is it so huge?

Probably bloated with all the cinematics of both story modes (which you probably download whether you have the aftermath story mode or not), plus two fatalities and a friendship for every character.

3 hours ago, Volta said:

Ground Ice being a banned move really killed my interest in playing Sub. His other moves are so awful that I just find myself picking his Thin Ice variation over a custom one.

Yeah, i don't like rising ice. I should clarify... i do like its potential and it’s not so much an execution thing, but doing the input and hitting amplify for the move you do, doesn’t feel fun to me... It’s like it doesn’t flow “right” or something... i know that’s a weird ass thing to nitpick and i can't even explain it clearly, but the move simply isn't fun for me to do (even though I enjoyed doing the rest of the combos out of it), and as a result, it breaks the fluidity feel of doing the combos, which is realized is often the fun part of doing the combo itself.

Edited by Mattatsu
On 11/26/2020 at 5:59 PM, Mattatsu said:

Yeah, Mileena is fun...

@BornWinner are you still up for games tonight? And if so, do you have an idea when?

Finally got around to getting the KP tonight and messing around with her and Rain and they're both fun, but especially her. Might have to keep her as one ofm y pocket characters. 

Gotta say, I don't know what's up with the default color tho. It's like sometimes they have shitty ones on purpose to get you to hit ToT and grind for a better one O_o

13 hours ago, Vhozite said:

I running through story mode again to unlock Frost and I’m already mad after Kotal’s first fight. He’s bodying the nameless fodder to look strong but deep down I know he’s a jobber 😭 

Banging Jade is like the only thing he has going for him smh 

Unlock again? Did you delete your save data?

28 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Unlock again? Did you delete your save data?

Nah copped on PC since it was cheap and really that is the main place I game. My PS4 isn’t even hooked up rn. 

Also to anyone interested I answer my question...you can combo into Auger KB, but as mentioned the range is tight. For example you can do B2 at just inside max range xx Auger, f2. So maybe you can buffer into it and get lucky, tho at the range you’re hitting converting is very difficult.

Also, is there a character with a slow fireball like a sonic boom or something unorthodox like Kum tuning ball? There are lots of characters with projectiles but it seems like most of them are your standard fast ones that you flood the screen with to zone from far away. Basically something that lets me move with a hitbox on the screen. 

The closest thing I’ve found is Frost cryogenic crown (I think that’s the name) , but that move seems kinda bad. 

Edited by Vhozite
15 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Also, is there a character with a slow fireball like a sonic boom or something unorthodox like Kum tuning ball? There are lots of characters with projectiles but it seems like most of them are your standard fast ones that you flood the screen with to zone from far away. Basically something that lets me move with a hitbox on the screen. 

The closest thing I’ve found is Frost cryogenic crown (I think that’s the name) , but that move seems kinda bad. 

Best example is Sheevas fireball stance. For a bar she tosses out a mega slow huge mid hitting fireball she can easily walk behind.

7 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

@VhoziteSkarlet can MB blood ball to have it travel faster or slower. So you can theoretically follow behind it like a traditional boom.

That is the MB version only so not like something you could use consistently. Also not sure how well her buttons play into whatever play style you're looking for; she feels kind of cast into a zoner role to me.

See I like zoning, just not in the “stand full screen and spam plasma” way. I find playing characters like Sagat, Peacock, and Deadshot super boring. Yet if I say I like zoning that’s automatically what people assume. 

What I really like doing is using projectiles to create offense. Walking behind your projectile as a shield, using delayed/slow hits to make normally unsafe options safe, forcing people to block on wake up, etc. Basically using them as a mock assist.

Another good example of what I like is Ramlethal swords. They are projectiles in the traditional sense, but they do a lot of the things I like to use slow plasma for. 

7 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

See I like zoning, just not in the “stand full screen and spam plasma” way. I find playing characters like Sagat, Peacock, and Deadshot super boring. Yet if I say I like zoning that’s automatically what people assume. 

What I really like doing is using projectiles to create offense. Walking behind your projectile as a shield, using delayed/slow hits to make normally unsafe options safe, forcing people to block on wake up, etc. Basically using them as a mock assist.

Another good example of what I like is Ramlethal swords. They are projectiles in the traditional sense, but they do a lot of the things I like to use slow plasma for. 

For what its worth I get what you mean, aided by what I know about Nash and your love-hate relationship with him. 😉

MK also may be a little weird for that kind of style due to how projectiles work overall. I don't think Skarlet plays that way due to her normals not really encouraging her to get into the scrum too much. Cassie can kind of do it with counter zoning forcing engagement with her awesome buttons. That Sheeva thing that EC mentioned may be something to look into too. 

All of that is my real limited experience with MK though so I defer to anyone with more kombat experience. 

Yeah I checked out Skarlet and I actually like the slow blood ball, but the fact that it costs meter and takes up two custom slots makes me hesitant 😅. Skarlet also seems kinda...plain. Like not too much mix and simple ass combos. Like her aesthetic tho. 

@MattatsuKitana can actually combo into Sai Toss with Fan-Nado (and still get ok damage). So you can load up that Highborn combo ender KB for a big ass combo probably without having to hit Sais raw. Timing is tight tho...probably something I’ll drop every time trying to flex 🤣

Edit: How tf is Kombat Pack 2 only $5 less than KP1 when the latter comes with 2x the characters and 6 skin packs?

Edited by Vhozite

That's interesting. I’ll look into that. I haven’t used Fan-Nado much because, well, I preferred the regular lift as Fan-Nado couldn't combo off of one of her more common strings (though i cant remember which one). I also never used Halfblood much, because i hated sacrificing Lift for Razors, and while it was always a counter-pick, i also hated how you had to use the same skin, which is fixed now.

I was playing around with her yesterday, and that nerf to up-fans really took my hype out of her custom variations, but man, replacing the Flutter in Fan-Fare with Low Fan is nice. Gives you a better meterless projectile, and a safe (when metered), close mix-up option. Plus that buff to royal protection is great. I made a second variation with Halfblood Stance and Ground War to counter strict zoners that i cant use Royal Protection against.

I really like Mileena but i am struggling with her hard. She has some stubby buttons and I’m dying anywhere between max-screen range and right up on their tits. She definitely has tools to play footsies with and force her way in, but it seems to take a lot of work and conditioning, and even then, your one-hit confirms have to be on point. Kitana and Mileena aren’t really all that different. I think Kitana has better neutral/footsies though and that’s better for me. Mileena is a bit more rush-down and YOLO orientated, which is getting me killed. She’s fun as shit though.

1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

That's interesting. I’ll look into that. I haven’t used Fan-Nado much because, well, I preferred the regular lift as Fan-Nado couldn't combo off of one of her more common strings (though i cant remember which one). 

In a perfect world you can stock up that KB and save it for when you want a big conversion off something that doesn’t combo into Nado. But yeah that is definitely the biggest problem with it, Nado doesn’t combo off her s1 or b3 (low starter) string iirc so there are clutch situations where you are losing damage. But between Sai, Nado, and Fan Toss she has a good amount of projectiles she toss out to zone so I don’t mind giving up a bit of damage. If I end up not liking it I’m gonna try advancing flutter and up fans for something super combo heavy. 

So far I’ve actually spent the majority of my time with Frost, though it’s been a lovehate relationship labbing her. She has a good spread of moves that I really like, but a few of them aren’t as good as I hoped when first seeing them. Burrowing Auger is pretty good, as it can force them to block on wake up, roll, or u3. However it only hits at a really specific range and is basically useless when you are close to the opponent. I do really like her dive kick though. Can be as safe as -4, and if you don’t hit them it goes into a slide attack that hits low and is safeish at -7 while going super far. So far I’ve been rocking that, Auger, and Core Overload but if I can find good setups for burrowing auger I might build around that. 

The other two characters I’m interested in are Jade and Kotal Khan, but there isn’t as much discovery going on.

With Jade I trying to find a good reason to use anything other than Deadly Assassin, air rangs, and Delia’s Dance. I want to play her more offensively with something like Vault and amp shadow kick, but then I have to give up Deadly Assassin or Delia’s Dance.
With Kotal it’s basically Ascension with a Totem, which isn’t bad but also not really new enough to be exciting. 

Also trying to decide which DLC characters I’m gonna buy. The only KP1 character I really liked was Nightwolf, but I I also haven’t had a chance to try out Spawn. I also am interested in Sheeva, Mileena, Rain, and maybe Fujin. Could just buy them all individually but I like getting the best bang for my buck. 

At the bare minimum I’ll probably cop KP3 since I’m really interested in two of the characters and I’m a bit Rambo-curious as well.

Edited by Vhozite

@Vhozite and @DoctaMario, i just realized that if you don’t have meter, low fan is a better  combo ender than ground wave midscreen  (if you can’t get a DF2 in anyway). The damage is a little less, but you have enough time to dash in and be near, whereas with a meterless wave, you’re dashing in from full screen.

you can also do B34 xx low fan midscreen, and dash up twice, cancelling the last dash into a B1 and counter a 7 frame wakeup D1.

may not be mich, but every little but helps

Edited by Mattatsu

Double post. 

Been messing around with Rain tonight and his third variation is pretty fun. The amplified Water ball shenanigans and Argus bubble dash thing are nice and he's got some interesting combos. 

I can't figure out what that water spout move is for though. Dunno if it's supposed to be like Shang's ground sparks or something but him being up in the air like that makes it seem a bit risky. 

I’ve narrowed my picks in default roster down to Frost and/or Kitana. I like Kotal but other than trolling people with sunlight and grabs I can’t say I have any real interest in playing him seriously. Jade has some interesting stuff to play with, but her combos are underwhelming and it makes landing hits with her ultimately unsatisfying to me. 

Frost and Kitana have interesting special moves that offer utility and both characters are capable of putting big numbers with long combos.

Frost especially has been getting the majority of my attention and is really growing on me. Air Ice Quake is favorite move in the game, and I really enjoy her aesthetics. The ice drills and swords are really cool (giggle), and I really love her cyborg attacks that highlight she is no longer human. Even the sound she makes while jumping is satisfying lol. The only thing I dislike is how she has no personality beyond “I’m better than Sub-Zero”. 

Havent gotten back into PvP yet, so everything is subject to change. Also still gotta check out Nightwolf, Sheeva, Mileena, Rambo, and Rain 🤣

8 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Havent gotten back into PvP yet, so everything is subject to change.

Yeah, I learned with Mileena that having fun in training mode (or against AIs) doesn't necessarily translate to fun when playing people. I do like Mileena though, I think she’s fun as hell (when you’re landing combos), and I actually love her design and personality... I just don’t think she’s suited to play the game how i want to play it, but hopefully I’m wrong because i do like playing her.

Edited by Mattatsu
7 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Yeah, I learned with Mileena that having fun in training mode (or against AIs) doesn't necessarily translate to fun when playing people. I do like Mileena though, I think she’s fun as hell (when you’re landing combos), and I actually love her design and personality... I just don’t think she’s suited to play the game how i want to play it, but hopefully I’m wrong because i do like playing her.

I’ve used Frost against real people before so I at least know I enjoy using her for real. I definitely know what you mean though. 

Kotal isn’t fun to lab but can be really fun in real matches. Jade is the opposite imo because of her low practical damage. Kitana is sort of in between...I found using her really frustrating against people who like to jump. 

Just copped KP2 so I’m gonna check out those characters soon. 

Yeah, I have a hard time with jumpers against Kitana... not just AAs but them jumping out of the way of my strings that seemingly go on forever on whiff.

I also don’t bother labbing her combos much. I just lab her confirms to warm up.

im kinda between a rock and a hard place tbh. I’d rather main Mileena but I struggle playing her with how I want (which equals frustration), but Kitana is next in line and plays closer to how I want, and as such, I’m more successful with her (doesn’t hurt that Kitana is likely in a higher tier as well).

edit: it is a testament to how much a character’s personality effects my decision though. I’ve always liked evil characters... they’re just more fun for me for whatever stupid reason.

Edited by Mattatsu

The thing about characters like Mileena sometimes is that they can be a really good excuse to branch out into a playstyle you wouldn't necessarily engage with. Even if it isn't something that you really click with there are always lessons you can bring back and apply to the playstyle/character you are more comfortable with. For example I learned a lot more about the up close game in SFV playing Laura than I ever would with anyone else I would have picked, and those lessons were really helpful with Poison.

So maybe it is less about playing Milenna how you want and more about embracing your inner gorilla and living that life for a bit. 

That’s the thing about MK...unlike every other franchise (including Street Fighter) there are an abundance of characters I like from a personality and aesthetic perspective. I don’t feel confined to only a few characters because half the roster is school girls, androgynous men, or some annoying happy-go-lucky SOB. Plenty of ninjas, robots, and other edgy shit to please my smooth 13 year old brain. 

Edit: even characters I wouldn’t say I’m a big fan of have something going for them. Sub-Zero isn’t my speed by I love how he shit talks with ice puns and other cold jokes.  

Also how are you trying to play Mileena? I haven’t had a chance to try her out yet.

Edited by Vhozite
34 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

That’s the thing about MK...unlike every other franchise (including Street Fighter) there are an abundance of characters I like from a personality and aesthetic perspective. I don’t feel confined to only a few characters because half the roster is school girls, androgynous men, or some annoying happy-go-lucky SOB. 

Also how are you trying to play Mileena? I haven’t had a chance to try her out yet.

I’m the say way with MK. There’s maybe 10 characters I have no interest in from a design standpoint, everyone else has a varying level of interest. Right now Mileena and Kitana are basically at the top, while still checking most of the tools on my list.

Mileena has great zoning and counter-zoning abilities. She is also a beast very close up (especially with B1 and command grab). In my opinion, she struggles in the sweep to mid-range area where you normally play neutral.

She has tools to force her way in (F1, B2, F2, F4, and ball) but I’m having issues with some of them. F2 is a pretty good low, but I seem to get hit out of it most of the time I throw it out. I was hoping you could use ball to whiff punish/counter people when they stick out a button, but I get hit out of that more than it connects (maybe it’s a better whiff punisher though, I should try that instead of trying to counter as well), F2 has amazing range for a 9f button, but it is a high and I’ve been D2 KB’d out of it a few times (and that even happened my first time using it). It seems you really have to condition the opponent with B2’s (overhead) to get them from crouching, but again, I get knocked out of it often too...

honestly, it’s possible I’m trying to rush in too much (focusing on how good she is close up)... She does have a godlike backdash though... she’s probably meant to bait and punish rather than just force her way in tbh.

Edited by Mattatsu
20 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Yeah I've played very little of this game outside of lobby sessions. Don't have much interest in it either. I'm still burnt out on the idea of playing randos. And maybe its just a different engine thing but the MK randos can be a little extra obnoxious. 

Yeah, this is a large reason why I mute the in-game mic by setting up a private PS4 party. It’s been a much better experience since I started doing this.

you still get the odd ragequit and person tea-bagging you, or doing a fatality after one win, but it’s nothing much worse than what I’ve experienced in SFV, in my experience anyway.

I do sometimes do a fatality if I won the set and I’m annoyed. It does seem to be a decent outlet to get rid of some anger and make the win feel like a win, whereas in SFV, I’d carry that salt into the next set.

Edited by Mattatsu
46 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

When it comes to playing MK11 online, my match count makes @Volt's SFV match count look like Trashbox's

TLDR: I haven't really played MK online.

This dude deadass @ me in the NRS Thread!?

I'm living rent-free on this dude's head, shame we're still on this pandemic, there's enough space here to run Evo. 🤣

1 hour ago, Volt said:

This dude deadass @ me in the NRS Thread!?

I'm living rent-free on this dude's head, shame we're still on this pandemic, there's enough space here to run Evo. 🤣

Just needling you man. It's what I do. I take shots at myself as well. Gotta get those LOLs. Can't really "class clown" in person these days 😉