Stage Select

The NRS Thread

12 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Damn I really like Mileena. This character has too much personality. Might be ending my friendship with Kitana 🤣

Edit: this throw KB is dumb. Only 10s of ground fighting and you’ve got 300 damage locked and loaded. 

I’m glad i’m not alone lol.

be careful about that “ground fighting” thing though because she goes airborne in a few of her strings and resets the counter (F124, F43, 2334, etc)

Also, tips for mileena the variation system doesn’t explain.

Play Time, as well as adding a throw to 11, F23, and F43, also makes F43 special cancellable. Also, the throw after 11 is a true throw and will grab them if they’re blocking

Rolling Thunder does more damage and is a bit safer on block, but you lose gravity so you lose some of your optimal combo enders (such as dash D2, F124). However, if you hold 4, you maintain the regular ball (which doesn’t lose gravity) but it now goes full screen. I’ve caught a few scorpions throwing full screen spears with this

Edited by Mattatsu
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Just needling you man. It's what I do. I take shots at myself as well. Gotta get those LOLs. Can't really "class clown" in person these days 😉

It's all good man, I was joking too. 🤣

You still ain't found someone with 50 matches still on Rookie and without a single point to his name tho. 👀

45 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Also, tips for mileena the variation system doesn’t explain.

Play Time, as well as adding a throw to 11, F23, and F43, also makes F43 special cancellable. Also, the throw after 11 is a true throw and will grab them if they’re blocking

Rolling Thunder does more damage and is a bit safer on block, but you loose gravity so you lose some of your optimal combo enders (such as dash D2, F124). However, if you hold 4, you maintain the regular ball but it now goes full screen. I’ve caught a few scorpions throwing full screen spears with this

Yeah i only had about a half hour and to work with her but that grab after 11 being real was the first thing I noticed. What I need to see what can she do to enforce that mix up. I guess you can just stagger into another string that starts mid or low. 

What’s your load out for her? Like I said I didn’t have much time working with her but I do have some thoughts. 
* This has some mix but a lot of her moves are unsafe as shit. Feels like every special you can cancel into is -10 or more on block. 

* Seems like she does no damage without burning meter on roll. 11 xx any special is barely over 100 damage. 

* What’s the point of Khanum Dash? 

* Vanish seems busted or totally useless

* Sliding Sai seemed bad at first glance, but I think it’s worth noting that is creates space and is safe at -8. I’m hoping it’s something she can use to encourage people to block.

Right now command grab, throw strings, and Low Sai is my set but I feel like I’m gonna eventually ditch one of them for sliding Sai or Vanish. 

My main load-out is Cmd Grab, Play Time (throw strings), and Rolling Thunder. I have a few others where i kept the first two and swapped out Rolling Thunder for something else (such as low sais or air telekick).

regarding your points:

1) Yeah, she’s very unsafe on a lot of things. TBH, I feel like NRS was way too conservative with her (but i wouldn't be surprised if they buffed her). Low sais is good way to add a mix in, but it’s death on block if you don't burn the bar. I don’t think every character can punish the low amped sais, but Sub’s slide definitely can

2) Yes. she’s tied to meter and can’t do much in a combo without it. In those cases i typically end in Rolling Thunder (with releasing 4)  as you get a bit more damage than regular ball and get oki. You can end with regular sais too for the same damage and keep them standing, but you only have like a +2 hit advantage

3) i don't use kahnum dash. It replaces roll with a Low, which you can add to your mixes, but again, death on block. I don’t think you can launch with it either, so you sacrifice combo potential

4) one thing to note about Vanish, is i’m pretty sure you burn defence meter while it’s up and you also get a damage de-buff. Plus she leaves that purple aura around her, so you can still kinda tell where she is. I don’t use it myself.

5) sliding sai is good and you can do good oki setups with it (i think). Personally, i don't use it as it’s not my style, but Rooflemonger said he thinks its the best third ability to use (after grab and play time).

i like rolling thunder because it makes ball more versatile (can now go full screen if you hold 4, you can release 4 for a bit more damage if you don’t have meter, you can release 4 at anytime to hop over low projectiles, and the release version is actually a decent AA against far jumps).

i prefer normal sais over low sais as they’re faster, do more do damage, are safer on block, and are better chip killers, as well as good against projectile counters/guards that deflect only one projectile. The low sais add mixups options, has a good KB against high projectiles, and is a good counter-zoning tool though. I intend to use low sais for specific zoning match-ups, but havent sorted that stuff out yet.

also, air telekick is good for if someone with a projectle catches you jumping. You have to be early though as you’re open to be hit as you fall down through the floor. I have a loadout for hat, but nit sure i’ll use it over low sais or rolling thhunder.

tbh, i thought she was amazing when she came out, but she has some issues. I really do enjoy playing her though (she just takes a lot of work). I also just love her because she’s filled with personality. She reminds me a bit of Starscream from OG transformers, and that’s cool as shit to me (he was my favourite character after Prime... such a schemey dirtbag - i loved him). Also, her combos are fun to do for me. They have a nice feel to them.

Edited by Mattatsu

Yeah I was mostly interested in low sais as a counter zoning tool...I actually didn’t realize her teleport was a base move at first so having both is probably unnecessary and its indeed bad for mixups. 

Without that I gotta decide between sliding Sai and rolling thunder then. I’m tempted to go with the Sai since is seems to round her out but you make a really good case for rolling thunder. 

Vanish has a damage debuff but it doesn’t seem particularly aggressive. I tested damage on her throw and it did a whole 2 points less damage lol. I think the strength of that ability is based more not being able to see exactly what she is doing even though you know where she is. Is she walking forward or is that the start of her advancing low? Is she crouch blocking or not? I think of it as camo from a game like Halo or Titanfall...the value comes from the extra split second it takes the other guy to identify you and what you’re doing even though you’re still visible. Tbh i don’t think it’s amazing, especially costing a valuable defensive meter, but I’m sure it has its applications. 

Air tele seems bad to me just because she sinks into the ground before the teleport and I’m sure that makes her more vulnerable than other characters who can do that. One of the best things about Scorpion teleport is that he moves away from the other character during the startup frames so he can actually make the other person whiff whatever it is he’s trying to avoid. 

Edited by Vhozite

@Vhozite I just watched EC’s Mileena guide and he brought up good arguments of normals sais vs low sais, basically saying you can end her unsafe strings into normal sais and be completely safe if you burn the bar (and probably somewhat safe against lower player who may not be expecting it).

He also has a case for using sai slide in these cases as well because both back away as part of the special and it doesn’t cost bar (which you may have alluded to earlier), but you can eat a jump-in if the opponent is on their game.

it’s a pretty good guide. You should check it out

Edited by Mattatsu
5 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

@Vhozite I just watched EC’s Mileena guide and he brought up good arguments of normals sais vs low sais, basically saying you can end her unsafe strings into normal sais and be completely safe if you burn the bar (and probably somewhat safe against lower player who may not be expecting it).

He also has a case for using sai slide in these cases as well because both back away as part of the special and it doesn’t cost bar (which you may have alluded to earlier), but you can eat a jump-in if the opponent is on their game.

it’s a pretty good guide. You should check it out

I’ll watch it eventually. However when, I’m first learning a character I prefer to see what I can find on my own first. For me half the fun of any character is discovery. 

I’m having a ton of fun tonight playing KL with both Mileena and Kitana, swapping between them depending on the matchup. 

Edit: i also did a lot better with Mileena tonight. A lot less trying to rush down and attempting crazy reads that leads to ball rolls and telekicks getting blocked, as well as a lot more sais being tossed. Even made a Sub-Zero forfeit the set. It was fun.

Edited by Mattatsu
5 hours ago, Vhozite said:

One thing I really don’t like about Mileena is that she has like one variation. Command Grab and string addons are mandatory, and of the 7 remaining choices for the last slot at least 4 are gutter trash. 

Yeah, that’s true. I also don’t think you can main her completely as she’ll have some terrible matchups (Jade’s going to be like a 2-8).

Last night I was using Kitana against characters that had good neutral and longer pokes (Jade, Kabal, Joker, maybe Fujin, etc), and Mileena against zoners and characters that didn't have weapons like that  (Johnny Cage, Rambo, Rain, etc). I was largely successful as well. Between my Mileena with grab, strings, and rolling thunder, and my kitana with ground war, royal protection, and low fan, I think I’m going to cover a lot of bases. For people like Skarlet, I’ll probably use my kitana with the halfblood stance.

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Maan I was going to pony up for the PS4 version of Standard Edition but it's still $50. Guess I missed the sale 😭

If I bought the SE would I still be able to throw hands with you guys or would it make me upgrade to Ultimate?

Yes, we could play. It would download the current version of the game for free (which is Ultimate), so that we’d be playing the same version of the game, but you wouldn’t have access to the DLC characters, without buying them extra.

Took Frost into KL and THE VERY FIRST OPPONENT IS YOLO ONLINE KUNG LAO!

And i bodied him free. Dude DC’ed when I fatality-ed him after smacking him 4 rounds straight 🤣

MK11 is the only game I have trouble doing instant air specials

Lol made a Johnny pull the cord after the first set. Also got destroyed by a Skarlet and died cursing at my screen after dropping a kill combo 

edit 20: wtf I beat some guy and he got more points than me...

Edit 30: I fear for my computers well being if I drop another jail or combo due to lag.

Edited by Vhozite
1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

wtf I beat some guy and he got more points than me

Yeah, the kombat league point system is odd. They take hidden factors (such as your casual fight record, and even, I think offline single player fights) to determine how “good” you are. This plays in effect in all matchmaking (even online casual matches) and determines your odds of winning against another player and how many points you get for winning/losing.

in the first few KL ranks, you get points even if you lose and I believe it’s a set amount... you probably had such a high chance of winning against him that they barely gave you anything.

im really loving MK11 right now, but I’d really like it more if they had a permanent ranked mode that worked more like SFV’s and you didn’t earn points for losing and stupid shit like that... it’s also wack af you start losing points if you don’t play once within three days, once you reach champion 

10 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Yeah, the kombat league point system is odd. They take hidden factors (such as your casual fight record, and even, I think offline single player fights) to determine how “good” you are. This plays in effect in all matchmaking (even online casual matches) and determines your odds of winning against another player and how many points you get for winning/losing.

in the first few KL ranks, you get points even if you lose and I believe it’s a set amount... you probably had such a high chance of winning against him that they barely gave you anything.

im really loving MK11 right now, but I’d really like it more if they had a permanent ranked mode that worked more like SFV’s and you didn’t earn points for losing and stupid shit like that... it’s also wack af you start losing points if you don’t play once within three days, once you reach champion 

Yeah I’m definitely gonna end up losing points due to decay. I plan on playing a lot but there are times when I’m gonna go more than 3 days without playing due to life smh. 

Ended my KL session at 16/9 with Frost. I really enjoyed playing and I really like Frost when I’m not dropping shit due to lag. 

I really have to work on nailing these motions though. For some reason I drop back-forward inputs A LOT. Also gotta work on my offense. I’m great at staying safe but I struggle against people who keep blocking after jails and staggers. I know that’s what throw is for but I prefer not over relying on that.

3 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Yeah I’m definitely gonna end up losing points due to decay. I plan on playing a lot but there are times when I’m gonna go more than 3 days without playing due to life smh. 

Ended my KL session at 16/9 with Frost. I really enjoyed playing and I really like Frost when I’m not dropping shit due to lag. 

I really have to work on nailing these motions though. For some reason I drop back-forward inputs A LOT. Also gotta work on my offense. I’m great at staying safe but I struggle against people who keep blocking after jails and staggers. I know that’s what throw is for but I prefer not over relying on that.

Yeah, I pretty much play to get those rewards and once I get all of them, I’m already well into champion. I would like to grind to make it to at least get the Johnny skin this time as I desperately want more time crystals because Mileena wiped all of mine and I really want to get the classic ninja Frost when it pops up in the store

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Does anyone know how many frames it takes to block? Feels like there is sometimes significant delay or I’m just getting fucked by online. 

I swear some the people play this game like they know they’re lagging.

I agree with all this. It does feel like there’s a delay to block sometimes, but that could be a couple of frames of input delay due to being online.

I also wonder if standing/ducking is instantaneous, because it doesn’t seem that way. I could be wrong and maybe you’re in those states but there are animations in the first couple of frames to make it look smoother or something, but it seems like there’s something there.

Edited by Mattatsu

Mileena’s ball roll has some really wacky hit/hurtboxes to it.

Trying to roll under Sub-Zero’s ice ball (a high) consistently is basically impossible. It honestly seems like her hurtbox has different sizes to it in every frame of the roll animation and which frame you’re in when it goes over you determines if you get frozen or not.

Also, I had this weird interaction in KL last night. I tried recreating it in practice mode and in the 20 or so times I tried this (only getting frame perfect balls three of those times) there was never a trade and different players and sides got the win. As far as I can tell, there’s no rhyme or reason to this ball vs ball interaction. It’s almost like it randomly picks someone.

Edited by Mattatsu
55 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Mileena’s ball roll has some really wacky hit/hurtboxes to it.

Trying to roll under Sub-Zero’s ice ball (a high) consistently is basically impossible. It honestly seems like her hurtbox has different sizes to it in every frame of the roll animation and which frame you’re in when it goes over you determines if you get frozen or not.

Also, I had this weird interaction in KL last night. I tried recreating it in practice mode and in the 20 or so times I tried this (only getting frame perfect balls three of those times) there was never a trade and different players and sides got the win. As far as I can tell, there’s no rhyme or reason to this ball vs ball interaction. It’s almost like it randomly picks someone.

I’m just guessing based on my experience, but the roll that loses probably isn’t active on that specific frame where it loses. That’s how Vega’s roll in SFV works anyway...lots of gaps in what you’d think is a lot of active frames. 

24 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I’m just guessing based on my experience, but the roll that loses probably isn’t active on that specific frame where it loses. That’s how Vega’s roll in SFV works anyway...lots of gaps in what you’d think is a lot of active frames. 

But in this case, we both started the ball at the same time and since we move at the same speed, we should have met each other at the same frame.

4 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Oh I see...or I should say I don’t lol I have no idea 🤷🏽‍♂️ 

edit: you can extend that combo after the d2 btw

Oh i know... i keep dropping it though, lol. I prefer to hit F1~FDB2 for oki, but F124 is fun as hell. You can actually get F1, F124 but that’s hard for me to do.

Man Jacqui hits like a train. 

Girl can do over 200 unbreakable with no meter from S1 with Lethal Clinch. She also has a bunch of great krushing blows that are fairly easy to trigger. If she ever catches you without access to breakaway you’re going for a 400 damage ride to the corner. In fact if the stars align I’m pretty sure she can set up a triple KB combo lol. 

47 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Man Jacqui hits like a train. 

Girl can do over 200 unbreakable with no meter from S1 with Lethal Clinch. She also has a bunch of great krushing blows that are fairly easy to trigger. If she ever catches you without access to breakaway you’re going for a 400 damage ride to the corner. In fact if the stars align I’m pretty sure she can set up a triple KB combo lol. 

The brief I did try to play this game, I played Jacqui. I liked how Muay Thai woven in to her style. Plus she hit like a Mack Truck.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
7 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The brief I did try to play this game, I played Jacqui. I liked how Muay Thai woven in to her style. 

Funny you say this because my favorite move of hers is Hyper Knee. Looks cool, breaks armor, and has a hilariously easy KB requirement of ending an 8 hit combo (i.e. KB after rapid kick launcher basically guaranteed.) Also a mid alternative to Superman punch that leaves them a bit closer. 

I’m still sticking with Frost but I’d like a more unga character to play alongside her for a change of pace an Briggs seems cool. I really want to like Mileena but that characters move set feels phoned in by comparison. 

2 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Funny you say this because my favorite move of hers is Hyper Knee. Looks cool, breaks armor, and has a hilariously easy KB requirement of ending an 8 hit combo (i.e. KB after rapid kick launcher basically guaranteed.) Also a mid alternative to Superman punch that leaves them a bit closer. 

I’m still sticking with Frost but I’d like a more unga character to play alongside her for a change of pace an Briggs seems cool. I really want to like Mileena but that characters move set feels phoned in by comparison. 

Just think, Jacqui used to be stronger. She's gotten nerfed since the game released.

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

I really want to like Mileena but that characters move set feels phoned in by comparison. 

It is. Air Sais has been a special move of hers since she was introduced but now it requires a slot (and it’s not even that good right now anyway, though it would be much better if it could cancel from F12 or after telekick).

Kahnum Dash isn’t worth a slot at all, but would be if it had its own input and was safer, perhaps safe if spaced perfectly.

They really seemed lazy/uncreative with her specials and abilities to be honest, and her ball has some wonky ass hurtbox issues where it won’t trade with another ball, and you have like a 50/50 shot of it going under Sub’s high ice ball (and likely some others).

Edited by Mattatsu
10 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

It is. Air Sais has been a special move of hers since she was introduced but now it requires a slot (and it’s not even that good right now anyway, though it would be much better if it could cancel from F12 or after telekick).

The f12 thing is really strange and I’d say unintuitive for no reason. It just seems like it’s supposed to combo into air Sai or air tele. Its some weird that I still find myself trying to do it even tho I know it doesn’t work lol. I did those abilities might actually be worth picking.

I don’t even know if she’s low tier but she seems needlessly restricted for no good reason. It’s a shame...aesthetics are 11/10 but gameplay is like a 3/10.