Stage Select

The NRS Thread

Iā€™m real sorry about thatĀ @misterBee, my wife decided out of no where she had give one of our cats her meds now and I had to drop what I was doing, despite it being able to wait. She then started it without me, took off the catā€™s cone,Ā and then it escaped andĀ startedĀ running awayĀ so I hadĀ to jump off to grab her

Ā 

I was about to call GGs anyway, but Iā€™m sorry you had to wait like that.

Edited by Mattatsu
3 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Iā€™m real sorry about thatĀ @misterBee, my wife decided out of no where she had give one of our cats her meds now and I had to drop what I was doing, despite it being able to wait. She then started it without me, took off the catā€™s cone,Ā and then it escaped andĀ startedĀ running awayĀ so I hadĀ to jump off to grab her

Ā 

I was about to call GGs anyway, but Iā€™m sorry you had to wait like that.

Ā 

LOL no problem.Ā  GGs!

Ā 

terminator 2 ok GIF

Earlier today i tried a Kitana custom with ground war, low fan, and the downward air fan and i likedĀ it. Itā€™s not super strong, but once you catch a few peopleā€™s D2 AA attempts with it, it gets them second guessing. I pretty much need ground war and low fan, and i think thatā€™s probably the best other 1 slot move for her, for my playstyle anyway.

Ā 

Not givingĀ up mileena though.Ā they actually compliment each other very well. I cant think of too many horrible matchups with both of themĀ to pick from. My only struggle is from better players.

Edited by Mattatsu
1 hour ago, misterBee said:

I've been going through looking for more characters to play.

Ā 

Not enough command grabs.Ā šŸ˜”

Ā 

Anyone looking to play?

So you abandoned Kano? šŸ˜¤ I hear you though, I hate when I play a character no one plays and then they become popular.Ā 

Ā 

Doesn't Geras have some command grab stuff?Ā 

Just now, DoctaMario said:

So you abandoned Kano? šŸ˜¤ I hear you though, I hate when I play a character no one plays and then they become popular.Ā 

Ā 

Doesn't Geras have some command grab stuff?Ā 

Ā 

I won't want to be part of a Kano army.Ā  šŸ™ƒ

Ā 

I've got a replacement already but I decided to see if there are any other characters that might suit me.

12 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Ā 

I won't want to be part of a Kano army.Ā  šŸ™ƒ

Ā 

I've got a replacement already but I decided to see if there are any other characters that might suit me.

Yeah I get it. He's never been a terribly popular character (it's rare that I d ever run into more than a handful of Kano players in all the time I played MKX or this) that I'm aware of so it'll be weird seeing a bunch of people playing him. I think all the people saying he's godlike now are overstating the cases bit though.Ā 

Ā 

Edited by DoctaMario
3 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Yeah I get it. He's never been a terribly popular character (it's rare that I d ever run into more than a handful of Kano players in all the time I played MKX or this) that I'm aware of so it'll be weird seeing a bunch of people playing him. I think all the people saying he's godlike now are overstating the cases bit though.Ā 

Ā 

Command grab Kano is the ONLY Kano.Ā  I will not change my mind!

3 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Ā 

Command grab Kano is the ONLY Kano.Ā  I will not change my mind!

I started out playing Cutthroat in MKX and then gravitated toward Commando. I like command grab Kano but I don't understand why they didn't give him Vegemighty in his Ripper variation. Seema like a move tailor made for a character who wants to get in at all costs, especially in a game with a lot of pseudo-zoning like this.Ā 

Edited by DoctaMario

I havenā€™t played MK11 (or any FG) in a couple weeks but the princess has been calling my name every day lol. I love everything about Kitanaā€™s design and even though I donā€™t like all her variation moves I still really want to play her.Ā 
Ā 

Everyone simps over Chun-Li and Mileena but Kitanaā€™s the real queen.

Edited by Vhozite
2 hours ago, M A R T I A N said:

Could be cause negative edge is turned on still. That shit would always mess up my inputs.Ā 

Its not that since IĀ specifically turnedĀ off negative edge immediately after installing. Literally the first thing I did after booting the game since I hate that mechanic with every fiber of my being. Iā€™d pay 100 bucks to be able to turn it off in Street Fighter. Obviously I have no trouble hitting a raw FB but in a combo it drops like 1/4th of the time no matter how simple the combo is and idk why.

Ā 

In other news, I love Frostā€™s gameplay but itā€™s funny that she is not even in my top 5 aesthetically. She is probably my least favorite female ninja but the others all have gameplay issues that turn me off to them.Ā Jade has no damage without using her 28f launcher or burning a KB,Ā Skarlet has one combo, Kitana has almost no offense, and Mileena has basically one variation. Frost is the only one I find well rounded enough to be enjoyable.Ā 

Kombat Pack 2 is now mine from a very dear friend, now I just need Aftermath for the komplete kollection of character swag.

Rolling with Subs/Rain right now. I'm not entirely sure how good they are, I went to see if TYM improved since MK9 days but it is still....rough.

Doesn't seem like anyone is real shit in MK11 with the current patch which is nice though, and I'm having fun.

I'm hovering around trying MK 11 or SoulCalibur ( yes it's really dry for me when it comes to FG andĀ  i cba SFV at all )

Ā 

How good is Mileena in this game ? Or Sub Zero ?Ā  Well i don't really play characters based on tiers, just on looks and these two are my favorites, but i wanted to get a quick heads up.

Edited by Skort
33 minutes ago, Skort said:

I'm hovering around trying MK 11 or SoulCalibur ( yes it's really dry for me when it comes to FG andĀ  i cba SFV at all )

Ā 

How good is Mileena in this game ? Or Sub Zero ?Ā  Well i don't really play characters based on tiers, just on looks and these two are my favorites, but i wanted to get a quick heads up.

According to some current tier lists, Sub-Zero is in the top 10 and mileena is around mid-tier (some say sheā€™s upper mid, some say lower mid).

Ā 

Mileena is fun as hell to play imo. I like her a lot.

23 minutes ago, Skort said:

Ā 

Sub is good. He has probably the best overhead in the game, a low special he can make safe with meter, good unbreakable damage (ice ball), probably the best neutral/punish special in the game (slide), great KBs, and versatile buttons. His base kit is very well rounded and he is very easy to pickup and play. The only reason I donā€™t use him is that I find him too linear. HeĀ has basically one combo path, few strings, and only a couple decent variation moves,Ā and his ā€œholdĀ this high/lowā€ offenseĀ gets repetitive. Heā€™s basically the exact same character at 200Ā hours as he is at 2. Attitude and style wise heā€™s very cool tho šŸ˜‰Ā 
Ā 

Speaking of aesthetics, Mileena has the best in the game bar none. Great animations, voice lines, and gear/skins. Gameplay is wise she is imo kinda mediocre...not bad but definitely not as good as Sub. Command grab gives her a decent throw game, she has a base kit teleport, and her Sai projectile is really good. However her buttons are on the short side, and she has trash choices for variation moves...she effectively has one variation with 2 mandatory moves and your choice of a gimmicky/bad third move.Ā Tbh aesthetics are the only reason I pay her any mind, she does almost nothing I like gameplay wise.Ā 

9 minutes ago, Skort said:

Can you buy just Mileena without spending money on the entire Kombat pack ?Ā  And if so , how much does she cost ?

Last I checked all characters can be bought standalone for $5.99.Ā 
Ā 

And @Mattatsuthere no way Sub isnā€™t topĀ 10. He isnā€™t broken but he has literally everything except a teleport.Ā 

Edited by Vhozite
14 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Last I checked all characters can be bought standalone for $5.99.Ā 
Ā 

And @Mattatsuthere no way Sub isnā€™t topĀ 10. He isnā€™t broken but he has literally everything except a teleport.Ā 

Oh yeah, i think heā€™s top 10 as well. I just mentioned the tier listĀ to put more weight behind it. Honestly his F2 overhead is a little on the BS side (hi Scrubquotes).Ā Fastest overhead in the game, with the best conversions off of it, lol. He can get like 40-50% off an overhead in the corner without super lmao

Edited by Mattatsu
13 minutes ago, Volta said:

Sub's neutral game is awful though, he has not a single good mid poke which is vital in this game. Once people learn how to fuzzy guard the F2/B3 mixup it becomes pretty difficult to open them up.

You kinda canā€™t fuzzy guard the mixup most of the time though. IfĀ Sub delays the B3 by those few frames (and thatā€™s if you even have then read as to when the Sub player likes to push buttons),Ā then you better have the read on the high/low because you arenā€™t reacting to shit

43 minutes ago, Volta said:

Sub's neutral game is awful though, he has not a single good mid poke which is vital in this game. Once people learn how to fuzzy guard the F2/B3 mixup it becomes pretty difficult to open them up.

Tbh before I read this post I thought his b1 was a mid, but I just checked and itā€™s high. With that in mind his neutral is definitely not as good as I thought but I think itā€™s still good enough for what else he has. B1 and slide are still great whiff punish tools, eating even one of his projectiles leads to full combo punish, and has b3 as an admittedly slow ā€œmidā€ option in CQC anyway. He canā€™t abuse dumb mids like Liu or Jackie but thatā€™s it.

Hitboxes are a real mystery in this game sometimes. Iā€™m doing these Kitana combos and some of these juggles are straight up whiffing right through the model. Then other times it seems like you get vacuumed into a hitbox.Ā 
Ā 

Iā€™m also really close to finding a Kitana variation I like. Ground war and Up Fan are my go to for now, but Iā€™m not sure what I want for a third slot. Iā€™m using regular flutter but I feel like I can do better. Might try Twist or Nado.

Ā 

Edit: Damn I just remembered she has no armor break without ass. Twist also does less damage than ass. Iā€™ll probably use Nado or Dagger.Ā 
Ā 

Edit 2: Lol the princess pumping out almost 300 meterless midscreen from stand 1 with up fan. 292 is my top so far.Ā 
Ā 

@MattatsuIm getting tired and I need someone better than me to try and find a better combo.

Ā 

12 xx Lift, j2, dash cancel b14 xx Up Fan, f2222 (292) is my cap but it really feels like more is possible. I canā€™t figure out where to milk out 8 damage lol

Ā 

Edit 3 or 4: So you can do f2 xx quick execution for...a lot (I forget the number lol) but thatā€™s not what I want.Ā 

Edited by Vhozite
8 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

I wish i knew someone who could help you šŸ¤£

Ā 

honeslty, that combo you mentioned looks a lot like the one i was doing...

Ā 

Ā 

Itā€™s the same combo with a different starter I guess. I just wish there was a way to milk a bit more damage out of it. I also find this combo pretty hard to hit in general lolĀ 

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

Itā€™s the same combo with a different starter I guess. I just wish there was a way to milk a bit more damage out of it. I also find this combo pretty hard to hit in general lolĀ 

Yeah, the spacing andĀ timing is very tight. I honestly gave up trying to do it in a match and went for low fan instead, as itā€™s a better meterless projectile against grounded foes and is a fairly safe mixup option (the amped follow-up can be flawless blocked though)

45 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Yeah, the spacing andĀ timing is very tight. I honestly gave up trying to do it in a match and went for low fan instead, as itā€™s a better meterless projectile against grounded foes and is a fairly safe mixup option (the amped follow-up can be flawless blocked though)

See thatā€™s what everyone says but I really donā€™t like low fan. My whole problem with Kitana is that she has no offensive options and Low Fan doesnā€™t really remedy that.Ā As mentioned the amp can be flawless blocked and on hit you donā€™t get much amp or not...I find it pretty buns as an offensive tool. Itā€™s a decent projectile of course but she doesnā€™t really need that when regular toss is already pretty good.Ā 

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

See thatā€™s what everyone says but I really donā€™t like low fan. My whole problem with Kitana is that she has no offensive options and Low Fan doesnā€™t really remedy that.Ā As mentioned the amp can be flawless blocked and on hit you donā€™t get much amp or not...I find it pretty buns as an offensive tool. Itā€™s a decent projectile of course but she doesnā€™t really need that when regular toss is already pretty good.Ā 

With Kitana, I really abuse her B231 string. It works really well as a whiff punisher and after a shimmy on wakeup. It also has good range and normally allows me to get in.

Ā 

On hit, I do B231 ~ lift, but on block I do B231D2 (overhead), B231~low fan, B231, B2 walk in throw, B2~low fan, B2 walk inĀ D1, etc.Ā All of these options really frustrate a lot of my opponentsĀ Iā€™ve used it on. Theyā€™ll get so annoyed, and will startĀ mashing after the B2,Ā or forget to block the 3 attack low,Ā Ā even onĀ people thatĀ blocked the B231D2 properly, earlier on.

Ā 

Youā€™re right that the damage off low fan is piddly, but when I can break my opponentā€™s patience with it, then it becomesĀ invaluable.

Ā 

Mind you, this probably doesnā€™t work against high level players, but at leastĀ worksĀ well on low to mid.

Ā 

Also, while the B231 can be jumped out of and is death on whiff, if you dial in the whole string, you can cancel into a special before the 1 attacks come out, so Iā€™ll cancel into grounded wave if theyā€™re above/behind me to get away, or fans if itā€™s whiffing and theyā€™re in front.

3 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

I'll be dealing with that string again in Jan.

Well, Iā€™ve pretty much fully swapped to Mileena. I only use Kitana against bad matchups, and if youā€™re using Cassie, Iā€™d probably stick to Mileena.

Ā 

With that said, Iā€™m a hell of a lot better with Kitana thanĀ I am with Mileena... Mostly because I donā€™t have a versatile string like B231 to abuse lol

25 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Well, Iā€™ve pretty much fully swapped to Mileena. I only use Kitana against bad matchups, and if youā€™re using Cassie, Iā€™d probably stick to Mileena.

Ā 

With that said, Iā€™m a hell of a lot better with Kitana thanĀ I am with Mileena... Mostly because I donā€™t have a versatile string like B231 to abuse lol

Well we can get into the mind games of Cassie or Skarlet vs Mileena or Kitana.

Ā 

Or more likely I'll just keep picking whoever I end up feeling. Cassie is neat but I really enjoyed Skarlet the last time I took her out. I still could use a bit more variation customization with both.

Ā 

Regardless hopefullyĀ  in 2021 we can get the whole MS MK11 krew going.