Stage Select

The NRS Thread

It lowkey annoys me how much people try to counter pick in this game. We are in the bottom rank in KL and people wait to see who I pick like this is EVO grand finals lol. Took Kitana online to grind tower stuff and dude swapped straight to Liu Kang after losing the first set with Sindel. The best part is that his Liu was even worse than my no combos Kitana...he only did uppercut, fireball, and full screen flying kick 🤦🏽‍♂️ 

Also I enjoyed playing Kitana, but I can’t say I’m gonna continue yet. Wanna finish this tower so I can try out Mileena. 

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

It lowkey annoys me how much people try to counter pick in this game. We are in the bottom rank in KL and people wait to see who I pick like this is EVO grand finals lol. Took Kitana online to grind tower stuff and dude swapped straight to Liu Kang after losing the first set with Sindel. The best part is that his Liu was even worse than my no combos Kitana...he only did uppercut, fireball, and full screen flying kick 🤦🏽‍♂️ 

Also I enjoyed playing Kitana, but I can’t say I’m gonna continue yet. Wanna finish this tower so I can try out Mileena. 

Yeah, I hear you. It annoys me that 9/10 wins in KL result in my opponent going to the character select screen, and they often pick someone that isn’t even a better counter.

I do have to swap to Kitana if I’m against a good Jade that’s playing keep-away though, as that matchup is brutal for Mileena. It’s definitely her worse one, and I’d put it at like a 2-8 or something. It’s pretty hard to punish glow, or beat her in neutral.

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

Why don't you just blind pick?

39 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

MK11 is my unofficial proof that giving a multitude of characters easy anti-fb options just encourages new/bad players to develop poor fundamentals. In SFV and MK11 I see so many people who will try every trick under the sun to circumvent a fireball instead of just walk>block. 

Seems like everyone knows Twitter combos but loses to the basics. 

And then they have the nerve to complain that their instant, screen-clearing anti-FB move, which leads to a full combo on hit, is minus on block.

Y'all even play MK9 or earlier entries? The community at large has always been whiny babies, and demand stupid shit from NRS/Midway all the time. Hell I was on TYM just the other day to try and find something of value and they had a ban Jacqui thread in 2020, with a thing you can sign, and MULTIPLE people signed it and agreed with the poster.

In weird MK only news: I'm not sure why every MK character needs a fireball, and also an anti-fireball move, but god forbid you take away Baraka's ability to create a sparkler with his blades I guess.

13 hours ago, AYO?! said:

Y'all even play MK9 or earlier entries? The community at large has always been whiny babies, and demand stupid shit from NRS/Midway all the time. Hell I was on TYM just the other day to try and find something of value and they had a ban Jacqui thread in 2020, with a thing you can sign, and MULTIPLE people signed it and agreed with the poster.

Lol I’ve seen that thread and honestly I have no idea what to say. It really seems like a large portion of the MK base has never seriously strayed into another fighter...soooo many of the takes I see are straight outta scrub quotes.

Funny thing is that as good as she is I haven’t run into Jacqui even once yet. Scorpion and Sub are still a dime a dozen though.

Jesus Christ im struggling with Mileena. She’s real stubby and doesn’t have an abusable string or easy way in. On the other hand Sai and f1 are really good tools. I’m losing a lot but still doing much better than I expected simply off the strength of those tools. 

What I need to do is incorporate her command grab more. Having trouble finding  ways to set it up. 

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

What I need to do is incorporate her command grab more. Having trouble finding  ways to set it up.

It’s a tick-throw off her D1/3/4, when blocked, at pretty respectable ranges. D3 especially... Of course, you don’t want to get too predictable with it.

also, a blocked F1 will leave you at a good range for cmd grab or B1

Edited by Mattatsu

Reposting in the correct thread XD...

Monthly reminder that Jacqui’s damage is hilarious even in suboptimal variations. Using rockets and clinch you can get 330 in the corner meterless with no KB’s from S1. The way the rocket pops them up is straight out of looney toons lmao. 

I finally saved enough crystals to get Deception Shredder Subs, that is nice to have. 

Also been using Skarlet a lot with the blood grab, which does a good amount of damage off one bar. Not sure what else to use variation wise as she doesn't have many that interest me, gave her bloodport and I cycle the last slot around.

Had a good night. Ending up 4/1 with Mileena tonight with two flawless rounds and robbed the last guy I fought for 50 points. Dude was running Jade and had me to match point but i clutched the victory after I started blowing up his mistakes. Pro tips for my green hoes out there

1. Never raw glow. Also react to a projectile 

2. Hit confirm b2. 

Lol made some poor kid so mad he went to character select to spam “Noob” at me for winning with my 10 minute Jacqui. Mfs hate you no matter who you play.

It’s a shame but she ain’t for me. People act like picking her is a free win but I had to sweat for every win. Mfs make you struggle for every yard getting in and she has no fullscreen presence other that yolo Superman. Really fun once she gets going tho. Easy 300 off any touch means she is great at making comebacks even without FB (just like her pops 😂). 

Triple post since nobody else wants to talk...

I really like Rain. He has great buttons and his dashes are straight up insanity. I can’t wave dash consistently yet but the couple times I did in training he could cover lots of ground fast as shit. My only issue with him is he has a bunch of back firsts inputs and I still fuck those up a lot. 

I run Geyser, Restand, and rising water but I didn’t use either of the last two more than once in like a dozen sets against @misterBeelol 

On 1/5/2021 at 9:19 PM, Vhozite said:

Triple post since nobody else wants to talk...

I really like Rain. He has great buttons and his dashes are straight up insanity. I can’t wave dash consistently yet but the couple times I did in training he could cover lots of ground fast as shit. My only issue with him is he has a bunch of back firsts inputs and I still fuck those up a lot. 

I run Geyser, Restand, and rising water but I didn’t use either of the last two more than once in like a dozen sets against @misterBeelol 

I'll play you again soonish.  Been a bit busy. 🙃

Won 4 out of 5 today with two quitters among them lol. Halfway to Grand Master but idk if I’m gonna make it. Only need 1 more fatal blow, ~2k more blood spilled, and 1 more set of dailies to get my Kitana skin before Scottie beams me up outta KL for a few weeks

Having real trouble hitting regular BnB’s with Frost though. Stuff I I’ll hit 10 outta 10 in the lab I drop like half the time online. It’s so bad I’ve started doing suboptimals just to compensate

Edited by Vhozite

Got to Grand Master with Frost and got my Kitana skin so I can peace the fuck out. Won 8 outta my last 10 to get there. Got to the point where I was gaining only 15-20 points per win and I gotta win 4 or 5 times for every one loss because I’m gonna lose like 50+. 

My overall win rate is pretty good though. Season record is something like 41/20. According to the game my problem matchups are Fujin (I knew this one), Jax, and Shang. 

Didn't realize I obtained the KL Blood skin for Skarlet, rendering my current KL skin moot. Like well fuck maybe I'll get it in white instead lol.

Been mostly working on Subs and Scorps, debating Shang and a few others. I actually find Scorpion fun in this game but online he's like the Brazilian Ken of SFV, gets no respeck. Even when I use spacing, footsies, and chip smartly while doing actual combos, and don't teleport/uppercut like a maniac people still throw shade. 

Poor Scorpy, one day they will love you.

The player entered the tournament and got to Top 8 only doing Sheeva stomps.

When he was doing a Top 8 match on stream they saw his Variation Name was: WhyWouldNRSDoThis.

Because of that he was removed from the event and banned, he said nothing else nor broke any rules from the looks of it. So naturally people are upset by this.

For more reference/information if you want to see what's happening: https://www.reddit.com/r/MortalKombat/comments/l132av/there_is_no_excuse_whywouldnrsdothis/

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Bruh, I was expecting something edgy. He got banned for "WhyDidNRSdoThis" . I can't even call that soft because it isn't a strong enough term for this situation. This is some wet Charmin tissue nonsense right here.

Yeah it’s some real baby faced shit and is actually sad. Is there a word for something being beyond pathetic? 

Have the devs commented at all?