Stage Select

The NRS Thread

I've been having a good time with MK11 the past few weeks and I actually think it might be the best and most refined game NRS has made. The balance of offense and defense is really excellent and not too far to one side or the other, and getting caught slipping once doesn't mean instadeath like it does in MKX. The roster is great too. I'm maining Shang and Kano but playing through story mode, I wind up taking a crash course in some of the other characters just to get through the fights and end up really liking them.

Edited by DoctaMario
  • 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Man trying to find casual  matches on PC at 9:30 on Friday night Issa ghost town. Kinda sad I really wanted to play. 

Has the PC version of MK ever been super populated though? I've always been under the impression that it's primarily a console game in terms of the player base.

7 hours ago, Vhozite said:

JFC I forgot how dog water the variation system in MK11 is. 

Scorpion has a grand total of two specials without his variation slots lol. He also can’t equip his extra kombos without also equipping death spin for some reason. 

I'll agree it isn't as good as MKX's variation system is, but I do like that they make you make hard decisions about what kind of character you want to create if you want your variation to not be shitty

Yeah I never had an issue finding matches till yesterday, but according to Steam it’s been like a year since I last played.

3 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I'll agree it isn't as good as MKX's variation system is, but I do like that they make you make hard decisions about what kind of character you want to create if you want your variation to not be shitty

I’d say it makes decisions easy just as often as if forces hard choices lol. The gap between the good moves and the bad moves is enormous, so you usually end up ignoring like half the choices. 

I was looking at Sub’s custom stuff, and some of the choices are hilariously bad. Like who would ever choose to replace Slide, which is probably the best low special in the game and has his most important character-specific Krushing Blow? Or alternatively every Mileena player using command grab and extra strings because they those two choices are better than all the others combined lol. 

5 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Mortal Kombat 11 - Steam Charts

PC version averages around 2,000 players. 3,000 during peak hours. 

Interesting. They must have upped their pc port game because MKX was a bit of a mess and nobody played on there. I never hear people talk about the PC port of 11 so I assumed it was a bit of a ghost town. Last I played, I could get KLmatches generally one after the other on weekday mornings on the Switch port. But I guess mileage may vary.

4 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Yeah I never had an issue finding matches till yesterday, but according to Steam it’s been like a year since I last played.

I’d say it makes decisions easy just as often as if forces hard choices lol. The gap between the good moves and the bad moves is enormous, so you usually end up ignoring like half the choices. 

I was looking at Sub’s custom stuff, and some of the choices are hilariously bad. Like who would ever choose to replace Slide, which is probably the best low special in the game and has his most important character-specific Krushing Blow? Or alternatively every Mileena player using command grab and extra strings because they those two choices are better than all the others combined lol. 

Yeah there's definitely some gimmicky shit that isn't useful in competitively minded builds, but for some characters, some things work well in conjunction with others and depending on what you're going for, it may be worth it to replace something that seems like a staple of a character's moveset. And I'm sure before the game got more figured out, there was more room for different movesets than there is now.

With Shang, I usually go Shake, Ermac Lift, and Corpse Explosion rather than Ground Eruption because you can zone pretty well with corpses in concert with his regular fireballs, but the Explosion gives you more 50/50 potential because you can train them to block low and then bonk them with an overhead. But Warlock is probably his most used variant because it's pure zoning with Ground Eruption.

I guess some characters have good enough premade builds that you don't really need to spend a lot of time cooking up a custom, but then I've never really been interested enough in Sub Zero to dive into his moveset and see what he has, and I think most of the Subs I've played used the 1st variation anyway. 

Edited by DoctaMario
  • 1 month later...

Pros

- Best graphics yet

- Nice soft reboot / pseudo-sequel premise. Going back to the first MK tournament is going to be fun.

- The Press Release/FAQ is very upfront and detailed. Appreciate that from any company.

Cons

- No mention of Reptile on the base roster.

- Shang Tsung already a pre-order bonus, which is just stupid.

- Kameo Fighters sounds like a terrible mistake, a decision driven by greed rather than genuine progression for the franchise as a fighter.

12 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

How is having assist characters a product of greed?

Because the assist characters are their own roster of characters. They are not "playable" and they are not fully developed MK characters. It's another way of selling DLC and probably P2W.

People complained that we were not getting enough MK DLC and this is their response instead of actually just giving us MK characters.

4 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Am I the only one that is more worried than hyped by the Mortal Kombat 1:Part 3 announcement. It just left me with more questions than anything.

There's a lot of fishy stuff going on.

1- They're going back to the original MK tournament, but why is Johnny Cage alive?

2- Scorpion and Sub-Zero are different characters (not Bi Han or Hanzo) during this time period, yet they act like they know one another.

3- I'm not sure how I feel about them announcing 6 DLC characters and 5 Kameo DLC characters this early as well as 1 pre-order bonus. We know next to nothing about the game or the full base roster. 

4- They are already namedropping Hollywood with Van Damme. How many more before September?

5- In-game kurrency... Could go many ways with this one.
6- Assists just don't feel like MK, like if it was its own special mode sure, but why make a core mechanic.

3 minutes ago, Daemos said:

I will get it if Reptile is in the base roster. Otherwise, I'll just watch all the fatalities, and story stuff on youtube.

I’m literally watching the MK11 story on YT at work right now lol

Idk I like MK but it seems like they’re already going balls to the wall with DLC and we don’t even have gameplay footage. Call me a boomer but these days I don’t have as much money or time to spare so I’m trying to focus on the few things I really like.

Ah yes PC Guile hitting me with Drive rush combos into super and perfect SB’s literally every time 30 seconds after I’ve picked chun for the very first time XD

Didnt even get a chance to look at the movelist all the way

Edited by Vhozite
4 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Looks pretty damn awful, I have to be honest.

Half of the season is superhero guest characters, and two of them are different spins on "evil superman".

The more I learn. The less interested I become. I hope guest character stans are happy. We have Johnny Cage as a fucking Kameo character but half the Kombat Pack is guest characters. Miss me with this nonsense. It's not a Kombat Pack. It's a Combat Pack. A Kombat Pack would actually have MK characters. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
5 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

The characters of the season one pass got leaked

What the fuck? Seriously? Three fucking guests? This is so fucking stupid. Just make a crossover game at this point. Why treat your franchise like this? The fact the general audience eats this shit up, on top of all the greedy pre-order crap and scummy way currency works in MK, is a travesty. 

19 hours ago, Dracu said:

What the fuck? Seriously? Three fucking guests? This is so fucking stupid. Just make a crossover game at this point. Why treat your franchise like this? The fact the general audience eats this shit up, on top of all the greedy pre-order crap and scummy way currency works in MK, is a travesty. 

idk man it works for Fortnite.

I play Fortnite daily because of guest chars.