Stage Select

The NRS Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to sit down and commit some stuff to sorta-muscle memory. The button strings thing is taking some getting used to but I'm fucking it up less now.

You know what isn't getting fucked up less? The people I play online. 😎 Between tutorials, a little bit of practice, getting rolled by Bee, and toiling in the salt mines of SFV I've been pretty well equipped to dunk on most folks the game has served me. That has been nice. Though I'm sure it'll get a lot harder whenever I start to run into more people who have a better handle on how to play the game.

@misterBee Still running the filthy criminal? Hows online been treating you?

4 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

Finally got a chance to sit down and commit some stuff to sorta-muscle memory. The button strings thing is taking some getting used to but I'm fucking it up less now.

You know what isn't getting fucked up less? The people I play online. 😎 Between tutorials, a little bit of practice, getting rolled by Bee, and toiling in the salt mines of SFV I've been pretty well equipped to dunk on most folks the game has served me. That has been nice. Though I'm sure it'll get a lot harder whenever I start to run into more people who have a better handle on how to play the game.

@misterBee Still running the filthy criminal? Hows online been treating you?

Been busy with some projects, but I'll test you again later this week. 😘

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Bump. 

I think the NRS titles are some of the most interesting and fun fighters these days. Interest in SF had long since waned, and outside of Samurai Shodown games and now MK11, I don't really mess with a lot of fighters anymore anyway. I bought MK11 for the single player content, but I've taken it online a few times. It's a fun game, I like the customization and I like that it's a little less long combo heavy as MKX was.

I like 11 a lot, but I hope they continue to patch it because while I feel it’s NRS’s best competitive fighting game to date, I think it still needs some TLC... It may be a long list but here are things i’d like to see worked on, roughly in order of priority:

- Give AAs better priority, it is really hard to AA some jump-in attacks with some characters, even when you have the read. The spacing or timing is way too finicky for a grounded/neutral-heavy game.

- I don’t personally like the regenerating meter, but while they won’t get it rid of it this title, i do feel their recharge time needs to slow the F down, especially after wakeup attacks or amplified specials

- Fix the odd hit/hurtbox interactions

- Custom variations in KL/tournaments

- Wifi filter in ranked (or at least allow the option to decline the match against wifi players, regardless if the ping is under 150ms or not)

- I personally think whiffed/blocked Fatal Blow attempts should be a lot more punishable. That should be almost guaranteed death.

- Replace Breakaways with Breakers, or delete them completely.

- Delete the BS about taking our points away if we don’t play KL for 3 days.

- Personally, I’d love to see a permanent ranked mode that never resets, and doesn't have rewards, but has similar ranks to climb (though the point system would have to change)

But hey, we’re getting a new reveal in 1.5 days, so hopefully there’s goodies there (outside of a few characters).

32 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I like 11 a lot, but I hope they continue to patch it because while I feel it’s NRS’s best competitive fighting game to date, I think it still needs some TLC... It may be a long list but here are things i’d like to see worked on, roughly in order of priority:

- Give AAs better priority, it is really hard to AA some jump-in attacks with some characters, even when you have the read. The spacing or timing is way too finicky for a grounded/neutral-heavy game.

- I don’t personally like the regenerating meter, but while they won’t get it rid of it this title, i do feel their recharge time needs to slow the F down, especially after wakeup attacks or amplified specials

- Fix the odd hit/hurtbox interactions

- Custom variations in KL/tournaments

- Wifi filter in ranked (or at least allow the option to decline the match against wifi players, regardless if the ping is under 150ms or not)

- I personally think whiffed/blocked Fatal Blow attempts should be a lot more punishable. That should be almost guaranteed death.

- Replace Breakaways with Breakers, or delete them completely.

- Delete the BS about taking our points away if we don’t play KL for 3 days.

- Personally, I’d love to see a permanent ranked mode that never resets, and doesn't have rewards, but has similar ranks to climb (though the point system would have to change)

But hey, we’re getting a new reveal in 1.5 days, so hopefully there’s goodies there (outside of a few characters).

Are you plus frames? 

Tbh AAs bring as they are almost seems like a feature rather than a bug, and I don't mind the meters refilling like they do but there's definitely a lot less if a penalty for misusing your meter or for jumping in. 

I agree 💯 about ranked mode though. I barely play it so any wins I get I basically lose because of that. Makes me less likely to want to pay KL.

7 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Are you plus frames? 

Yessir!

and i agree about AAs. I remember during some kombat kast they said that jump-ins were always strong in MK games, and I agree, but I’m not a fan. I got my ass beat in KL by a Johnny abusing J3, and when i brought it into training, i could not AA reliably after like an hour, and thats with the dummy doing jump-ins on repeat, predictably. I think I tried a bunch of different attacks, and while i don't remember specifics, i just remember the timing and spacing windows were very tight. It turned me off the game tbh.

Edited by Mattatsu
5 minutes ago, Volta said:

It's worth noting that some characters have much better D2s than others, even if the animation looks the same. Shang's D2 will hit most things clean out of the air, but if your particular character isn't blessed with a good D2, your AA game is pretty much non-existent.

That’s a good point. In my case, Kitana’s D2 had a hard time against it (unless you had the read solid and could hit it early) but maybe thing’s changed. I’m waiting to see what gets revealed this morning. If I get hyped enough, I may just lab AAs with a few different characters. Jade’s is godlike but I really don’t like her tournament variations... I love her when I customize it though

1 hour ago, Volta said:

It's worth noting that some characters have much better D2s than others, even if the animation looks the same. Shang's D2 will hit most things clean out of the air, but if your particular character isn't blessed with a good D2, your AA game is pretty much non-existent.

It's been that way since MK1. Kano, Liu Kang, Raiden and iirc Sonya had uppercuts that would reach pretty far out in front of them while Johnny & the ninjas you had to be closer to hit them. 

43 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Rain should be good. He's always been a fun character. 

Rambo should have been Smoke. Give my boy some love.

Tbh I'm iffy on guest characters. A lot of times they end up being either too good or completely awful because they aren't really a part of the main game universe and thus aren't constrained or benefit from that. And depending on who they are they really take me out of the atmosphere, and that's definitely the case for me with the MK11 guests. 

Samsho actually did pretty well in that department surprisingly enough.

Edited by DoctaMario
2 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

It is... I gotta say, I have a hard time understanding Mileena’s popularity. I’ve always liked her and think she should be base roster in basically every game, but I never understood why she touched so many people enough to induce the levels of harassment she did, or to actually have people cry because she’s in the game. I’m happy Lostygirl got that moment, but I can’t comprehend why there’s such an attachment in the first place.

there’s gotta be something about being an unwanted clone that maybe attracts people that weren’t their parents favourite kid or something? I really don’t get it. 

and to clarify it,  I am happy she made it, I just don’t get the fandom.

2 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

It is... I gotta say, I have a hard time understanding Mileena’s popularity. I’ve always liked her and think she should be base roster in basically every game, but I never understood why she touched so many people enough to induce the levels of harassment she did, or to actually have people cry because she’s in the game. I’m happy Lostygirl got that moment, but I can’t comprehend why there’s such an attachment in the first place.

there’s gotta be something about being an unwanted clone that maybe attracts people that weren’t their parents favourite kid or something? I really don’t get it. 

and to clarify it,  I am happy she made it, I just don’t get the fandom.

I think it is "firsties" syndrome.

Like I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Jessica Rabbit making me realize cartoon women could be stupid hot.

Some Mileena fans are doubtless attached to her because they had their first awkward monster girl boner due to her (probably specifically that MK9 outfit).

Or they like how she plays but let's be real no one actually plays Mileena. 😏

10 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

I think it is "firsties" syndrome.

Like I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Jessica Rabbit making me realize cartoon women could be stupid hot.

Some Mileena fans are doubtless attached to her because they had their first awkward monster girl boner due to her (probably specifically that MK9 outfit).

Or they like how she plays but let's be real no one actually plays Mileena. 😏

Lol, could be something like that. I really like X-Men’s Rogue for a similar reason....

spacer.png

1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

An MK11 purchase is in my near future. 

Who should I play? I like good pokes and a character that has 2 really good buttons. Honestly, much more than that I start to get decision fatigue. 

I don’t know the cast well enough to advise, but one thing i should mention is that the game doesn't quite revolve around pokes. There are some decent ones for sure, but neutral is more about using a couple different combo strings (usually 2-3 quick button presses) and confirming into a special. Most characters do have a decent D1 and/or D3 close poke but those are more for pressure (or getting out of it) and going for throw mixups.

Most characters do have weapons though, so there are a lot of characters with decent ranges pokes (raiden, jade, maybe sindel, come to mind), but they can’t really convert from their longest pokes. Though they usually have decent, mid-range pokes that will convert into strings.

Also, most strings do move your characters forward so you don’t have to be super close to get them going, but they’re reactable if you’re too far.

projects are very quick, they usually don't clash with other projectiles, and the recovery is somewhat quick too. This isn't really a projectile/jump+DP kind of a game, but that’s why characters like Scorpion have teleports.

throws have to be teched based on a forward or back throw, which is a guessing game in itself, but you can duck them completely  (if you’e not blocking) and go for an uppercut (D2). It’s a different throw-game than SF.

Edit: i’m wondering if theres a way for me to stream it and VC with you on discord so you can see me play a few matches? My upload speed isn't great though. It’d have to be like 360p for any hope of working.

Here is a set that me and Hawkingbird played a while back so you can see what it’s like at our level. I should note that Sub-Zero is more of a Ryu type with good mixups, and Kitana doesn't have great range and is more rush-down, but has some good mobility.

Edited by Mattatsu

@KingTubbi just checked and the only time you need L2 and R2 is the access your Kombat Kard (mostly to see in-game notifications and your stats) and the store (not just the PS4 store but the im-game store to unlock some items).

you will need the PS4 touchpad button to record training dummies though.

Honestly, with this game, there will be times you will want to use your controller anyway (like running around the krypt, or some of the single player challenge towers), so i keep a DS4 not too far away (depending on what I’m doing). You wont need it during any online matches though, or setting them up. You’re good with the buttons you have on your hitbox

52 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

watching a bit of that clip makes me want to get into this again. I absolutely love this game against good, respectable players... A bad run in kombat league made me forget that 🤣

Let's dust off the lounges. Of all the games we ever played somehow we never played MK even though you are such a big fan. 😀 Also we can play a game with good rollback for once.

Need to grab Aftermath but other than that I'm caught up. And it'd be nice to get back to it.

41 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Let's dust off the lounges. Of all the games we ever played somehow we never played MK even though you are such a big fan. 😀 Also we can play a game with good rollback for once.

Need to grab Aftermath but other than that I'm caught up. And it'd be nice to get back to it.

Sounds good! It’d be great to play you again. Let me know when you’re free. I’m usually good in the evenings (though work has been killer lately so that doesn't always hold up).

Also, if I remember correctly, I kept flip-flopping to find a main until I gave up and played something else lol. The problem was my heart was set on Kitana but she was kinda broken (in a bad way) at launch. They’ve patched her up a bit now though, so the flip-flopping is done.

@MattatsuAwesome. Pretty much every evening for me is the same (thanks covid) give or take most Thursdays. So just @ or message me here and we can go from there.

Also @KingTubbwhenever you pick this game up I still owe you games. For all my best intentions I don't remember if we ever played in anything. 

I'm starting pretty much from square one again which is fine by me. Last time I played was I think before any of the DLC chars even dropped. 

23 hours ago, M A R T I A N said:

Mileena is a fan favorite, and a legacy character at that. So there's always that. 

It does seem odd how much love she gets though even considering that. Like, nobody but me seemed to give a fuck that my boys Reptile AND Ermac got cut. 

It's weird not having ALL the legacy ninjas. 

What hurts about Ermac being cut is that he has a character model with a brand new design in the game. These guys really go to through the trouble to redesign Ermac just for him to be a dead body in the Krypt? C'mon.

On 10/8/2020 at 2:22 PM, GetTheTables said:

I don't ever care for NRS' guest characters (totally get it but not my thing) Stallone-voiced-Rambo is just dumb enough to maybe clear the hurdle for me. May be enough to get me to dust the game off for the first time in forever. At least MK11 has good netcode. @misterBeecan fuck me up a bunch with Kano again.

Ooh so @misterBeeis a Kano player too??

10 hours ago, misterBee said:

I played the game a lot at launch.  Kano 4 life.

Yeah I got it a few months ago. Haven't played it much in the last month or so since Tetris has taken over my life, but it's an easy enough game to pick back up. 

Which variation were you using? I started out using Ratbag, moved to Ripper after seeing how meter dependant Ratbag was and because I played Commando in MKX, and then after finally playing online a bit, moved onto Dirtbag. Dirtbag feels the most viable to me, but they all seem pretty useful.