Stage Select

The NRS Thread

To be fair, both Homelander and Omni-man, individually, are good guest characters for Mortal Kombat. Having both of them however leads to them stepping over each others design-wise. And then there's the other guy that I only know because I recall John Cena playing as him, who was totally not worth losing the spot of an actual MK character. Hsu Hao would have been a better pick over the John Cena dude, no joke.

Also, I'm kinda hoping for Nitara to come back and this character pass is a sausage fest. There's only two female characters in that pass, both are kameos, and they're Ferra and Khameleon.

My issue isn't Guest characters exactly... But the volume and frequency of them.

Half the pack is made up of guests, and this is the first pack. Would it kill them to have 1 guest per season? And then support the game for 3 seasons at least? 

The answer is: They don't plan on supporting the game for more than 2 seasons. They treat MK games as disposable when every other major fighting dev treats their game like an era and community to be fostered.

Edited by Daemos

Because they're conditioned to after 2 years. If NRS had said "we're committed to supporting this game for 4+ years and will have balance patches and new content in that time" people would probably stick around. But when they publicly say, "were done with this one" it's no wonder the players move on.

They also have WB money so they have the budget to be able to develop new games more frequently than Capcom or Arcsys can. I'm sure a lot of people would have preferred Capcom drop SFV after a couple years and move on given how polarizing that game seemed to be. NRS and their player base have that luxury for better or worse.

Edited by DoctaMario
2 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

To be fair, both Homelander and Omni-man, individually, are good guest characters for Mortal Kombat. Having both of them however leads to them stepping over each others design-wise. And then there's the other guy that I only know because I recall John Cena playing as him, who was totally not worth losing the spot of an actual MK character. Hsu Hao would have been a better pick over the John Cena dude, no joke.

Also, I'm kinda hoping for Nitara to come back and this character pass is a sausage fest. There's only two female characters in that pass, both are kameos, and they're Ferra and Khameleon.

Omni Man and Homelander won't overlap. NRS designed Superman, Supergirl and Zod for Injustice and all three do not play alike at all. I have faith.

1 hour ago, Daemos said:

The answer is: They don't plan on supporting the game for more than 2 seasons. They treat MK games as disposable when every other major fighting dev treats their game like an era and community to be fostered.

How can you say that knowing the support that MK11 got?

3 hours ago, Daemos said:

My issue isn't Guest characters exactly... But the volume and frequency of them.

Half the pack is made up of guests, and this is the first pack. Would it kill them to have 1 guest per season? 

I just hope Capcom wouldn't go that path even it's enticing for them

3 hours ago, Daemos said:

Half the pack is made up of guests, and this is the first pack. Would it kill them to have 1 guest per season? And then support the game for 3 seasons at least? 

The reason is guests are overwhelmingly more popular than the main roster, every single time.

Freddie sold the most in mk9

predator and jason outsold everyone else combined in mkx

People vote with their dollar, and overwhelmingly vote guest characters every single time. This is what the public at large wants.

The people who bought MK outnumber the people who bought Freddy. We wouldn’t buy this game if it wasn’t for the MK characters.

Maybe if they put out a decent kombat pack of well designed MK characters people would purchase it for it rather than the novelty of hollywood slashers

5 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I think if they left more time between games it would make people stick longer. But when they know a new game is on the horizon within 2 years, of course they'll move on.

Also this:

That tweet is wrong.

Mortal Kombat 1 refers to the 1st Mortal Kombat tournament on Earth. Mortal Kombat (1992) was the 10th Mortal Kombat tournament.

Yes, this takes place in roughly 1492 for the 1st Mortal Kombat tournament according to Mortal Kombat's (1992) prologue.

Edited by Jion_Wansu
6 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

It definitely feels like they're running out of interesting guests though. They got their horror movie characters in X, then the nostalgia bait ones in 11, and now they're kinda left with characters that have become popular recently.

yeah, i wonder why they didnt repeat other character to return, im thinking it might be the rights that holding them back

8 hours ago, EvilCanadian said:

The reason is guests are overwhelmingly more popular than the main roster, every single time

yeah maybe its time for a hollywood 90s fighter or a horror fighter like terrordrome

15 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

It definitely feels like they're running out of interesting guests though. They got their horror movie characters in X, then the nostalgia bait ones in 11, and now they're kinda left with characters that have become popular recently.

Nothing to do with 'interesting' it's who's cutting them a check. Amazon paid 600 million dollars to license the Tomb Raider IP. I'm sure they cut a nice check for Omni Man and Homelander. I wish I had the kind of money. I'd cut a check to have Kombat Packs with only MK characters. Crazy that's the only way that sort of thing will happen.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
3 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

MK is something like technically it's a reboot but it's still in continuity due to liu kang and the mythos allowed it and its a possible occurance

This isn’t completely accurate because Fire God Liu Kang originates from the second timeline. His existence in the third new timeline by default makes it a continuation. For all other characters it is a new universe, but for him it is the sequel. 

4 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

MK is something like technically it's a reboot but it's still in continuity due to liu kang and the mythos allowed it and its a possible occurance

I'm missing something here.

If MK9 to MK11 is the reboot trilogy, and MK1 (not the new one, the old one) to MK7 (Armageddon) is the original series, where is MK8?

Do they count the MKvsDC one as a main game of the series?

Gotta say it takes some balls to put a preorder up when you haven't really shown much/any gameplay footage or talked at all about what modes the game will have. Being a Shang main has me considering the preorder but I just don't feel like I have enough information about the game yet to decide.

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Gotta say it takes some balls to put a preorder up when you haven't really shown much/any gameplay footage or talked at all about what modes the game will have. Being a Shang main has me considering the preorder but I just don't feel like I have enough information about the game yet to decide.

Is the pre-order bonus time sensitive? If it isn’t I’d just wait until like a day or two before release and buy it then. That’s what I did for Anthem (lol I know). 

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Is the pre-order bonus time sensitive? If it isn’t I’d just wait until like a day or two before release and buy it then. That’s what I did for Anthem (lol I know). 

I imagine you can preorder up through when the game's released, so I'm not sweating it. Just feel like it's premature to have a preorder up when we don't know much about the game.

Well MK11 actually has characters from the 1st timeline from 1992 (Shang Tsung for example) and characters from the 2nd timeline.

Still think that MK1 is going to be a full circle event in regards to lore where Fire God Liu Kang gives his powers to Raiden and they will say that Liu Kang (1992) is a descendant from Fire God Liu KAng somehow. Kinda like the Reverse Flash/Flash origins and such.

EDIT:

They'll make an UKK for Shang Tsung later on lol...

Edited by Jion_Wansu

So, I ran into this supposed leaked list of characters that was published on an Italian news site but not on international ones.

I'm assuming it's not particularly trustworthy, but it's fun to speculate and I got nothing to do until SF6 releases anyway, so...

Aside from the leaked DLCs from Amazon, this random guy says that a portion of the starting roster will have:

Spoiler
  • Liu Kang
  • Raiden
  • Johnny Cage
  • Reptile
  • Kano
  • Scorpion
  • Sub Zero
  • Sonya Blade
  • Kung Lao
  • Ashrah
  • Nitara
  • Havik
  • Kitana
  • Mileena
  • Cassie Cage
  • Rain
  • One of the Cyborg dudes
  • Shang Tsung (Bonus Pre-Order)
  • Kira (Kameo)
  • Hsu Hao (Kameo)

I guess it wouldn't be bad if true, but then again it's probably just random bullshit.

On 5/20/2023 at 7:14 PM, EvilCanadian said:

The reason is guests are overwhelmingly more popular than the main roster, every single time.

Freddie sold the most in mk9

predator and jason outsold everyone else combined in mkx

People vote with their dollar, and overwhelmingly vote guest characters every single time. This is what the public at large wants.

Honest question, is this looking at individual DLC sales only? Because I have an assumption that most MK fans will but the whole KP. It will be the random casual that will buy MK11 + Robocop, or whatever

I haven’t posted here in months, but I’m not excited for the game yet. I was basically immediately disappointed when I saw that we’re continuing with the Fire God Liu Kang, New Era stuff… Despite it being obvious that’s what they were going to do.

I really wanted NRS to wipe the slate clean and go back to actual MK1 (Raiden being the thunder god and protector of Earthrealm; and no one knowing shit about Kronika, and revenants, and all the other wack story elements NRS introduced).

I don’t care what they call it, this is MK12 in my opinion - it’s a continuation of MK11.

The game looks great graphically, but this is the first MK game (MK vs DC aside) that I do not care about the story. I just don’t care, and that sucks. Also, it seems like they’re going to retcon everyone’s origin to oblivion. I am just tired of NRS NRS’ing.

I also assume this game is going to be just as grindy as MK11 was, probably worse, and the leaked KP1 looks awful to me.

I’ll pick this up if the combat and mechanics seem really good, and it’s not a grindy mess, but we’ll see… Not having crossplay at launch is also a reason why I don’t want to pre-order… I’ll see what happens, but right now, I’m assuming I’ll wait until MK2 (2028) gets announced and then I can buy Ultimate MK12 for $10.

and despite being a grumpy old man, I’m happy to be here, and happy there is a new MK game… I just wish I cared, hopefully the gameplay is great

Edited by Mattatsu
3 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

So, I ran into this supposed leaked list of characters that was published on an Italian news site but not on international ones.

I'm assuming it's not particularly trustworthy, but it's fun to speculate and I got nothing to do until SF6 releases anyway, so...

Aside from the leaked DLCs from Amazon, this random guy says that a portion of the starting roster will have:

Reveal hidden contents
  • Liu Kang
  • Raiden
  • Johnny Cage
  • Reptile
  • Kano
  • Scorpion
  • Sub Zero
  • Sonya Blade
  • Kung Lao
  • Ashrah
  • Nitara
  • Havik
  • Kitana
  • Mileena
  • Cassie Cage
  • Rain
  • One of the Cyborg dudes
  • Shang Tsung (Bonus Pre-Order)
  • Kira (Kameo)
  • Hsu Hao (Kameo)

I guess it wouldn't be bad if true, but then again it's probably just random bullshit.

Sounds fake. I think this game takes place in 15th century Earth. So there won't be automated weapons. This invalidates a lot of characters as we knew them who hinge on technology like Kano and Cyborgs. This also means Cassie is probably out since her entire fighting style is tech.

I can see Johnny Cage coming back because they may want to talk more about his ancestors that passed down the powers that beat Shinnok in MKX.

I'd love if Havik is there, but I think his inclusion along with Ashrah, Nitara, Kira, and Hsu Hao reads like a fan wet dream.

I think NRS are going to do what SF6 are doing, place their bets on their strongest, most well known IPs and do them justice. Then relegate the rest for DLC and/or Kameos.

At least that's what I think would be a smart decision when rebooting.

Edited by Daemos
17 hours ago, BornWinner said:

In Mortal Kombat 1, you can not only fatality your opponent but your storage as well.

Something is wrong here. The recommended specs for the CPU is older hardware than the minimum spec.

17 hours ago, Vhozite said:

That right there is the number one reason I hate these hyper realistic, super graphically intense games. Insane huge file sizes and base specs up the wazoo.

We get bloated file sizes when developers don't compress their games.

46 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Something is wrong here. The recommended specs for the CPU is older hardware than the minimum spec.

We get bloated file sizes when developers don't compress their games.

Is it possible a good chunk of that is audio? The less compression on that, the better it's going to sound.

A post on TRMK 🤣

He's talking about one of the story writers/developers:

Spoiler

Atta boy. Don't repeat the same mistake, I did with Kronika. I also thought, we will be getting a twist villain, with Kronika turning out to be actually trying to save the universe and Raiden going mad from being corrupted with power and his past failures weighing on him, leading him to extreme actions/decisions.
Story is very likely to be some another world ending nonsense. NRS still doesn't get it, that it wasn't just time travel that wrote them into a corner. It is also the insane stakes they keep putting out.
MK9 - Whole Earthrealm is in danger!
MKX - Whole Universe is in danger!
MK11 - What's bigger, than the universe? Eeeeer... TIMELINE. Right. Ok.
MK12:
"Eeeeeer... what's bigger, than a timeline?.... Dave? Jerry? Anyone? Come on guys, you expect me to figure this out? I am just a story writer!"
Janitor comes in, angrily looks at overfilled trash cans:
"Puta Mudre, can't you gringos replace trash bags once in a while? I even put TWO trash cans for you, idiotas"
Dominic slowly, almost in dramatic way, turns his pale face towards the janitor:
"What did you just say?"
"I SAID Pendejo, that I even gave you TWO trash c.."
"THAT'S RIGHT!" Dominic leaps on his feet, lifting his arms in glorious triumph, as few still living neurons in his brain make a desperate connection.
"TIMELINES! Plural! Oh Dominic you magnificent beast, what would I do, if I wasn't me? I am a genius!"
Dominic jumps back into his seat and feverishly starts writing everything down, while astonished with his divine self: The ink spreads across the pages, his hand becomes into an unstoppable force, that gives birth to new worlds, drama, intrigue, betrayal and sacrifice! Worlds colliding, as great battles take place. One page after another falls to Dominic's hand, as he create a masterpiece, that will change EVERYTHING!
"Just you wait Hollywood! That Oscar will be mine!"
Janitor's anger cools down and is replaced with pity, as he looks at a grown man kissing his own reflection and shouting gibberish, while scribbling stick man on a board with a cheap marker. The man silently picks up the bags and walks away, realizing that what he holds in his hands, has more value, than whatever remains in that room.

www.trmk.org/forums

Edited by Jion_Wansu
12 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Is this supposed to be a sequel to the movie released a couple years ago?

Yeah...hopefully it's like the first 15 minutes of the last one. Should focused on the Scorpion vs Sub Zero conflict origin instead tossing in some random insert character. Not only was it pointless, it was a waste of Lewis Tan's talent.

15 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Yeah...hopefully it's like the first 15 minutes of the last one. Should focused on the Scorpion vs Sub Zero conflict origin instead tossing in some random insert character. Not only was it pointless, it was a waste of Lewis Tan's talent.

lol that movie was hot ass how in the world is it getting a sequel? Everything but the first 15 mins was terrible. Also didn’t that movie have black Mileena in it for a whole 5 mins 😂

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

lol that movie was hot ass how in the world is it getting a sequel? Everything but the first 15 mins was terrible. Also didn’t that movie have black Mileena in it for a whole 5 mins 😂

Mortal Kombat did huge numbers for HBO Max. Subs and views skyrocketed when the movie dropped. 

Mavado, Reiko, Li Mei and Asherah are characters thst deserve their second chance. Throw Kai in too and these are the most note worthy 3D era characters who haven't made their return. If they get the respect Fujin got in 11, where he was crucial both to the plot and had a great gameplay revamp, new fans are in for a treat.

2 hours ago, Daemos said:

Geras makes sense actually. It’s a good roster. Hope it’s true, I’d buy this launch.