Stage Select

The NRS Thread

5 hours ago, Daemos said:

Geras makes sense actually. It’s a good roster. Hope it’s true, I’d buy this launch.

How do you figure? His master is dead and per his towers ending dude kinda just wants to die finally. What would his character even be doing?

I could see if maybe he was popular in 11 but afaik everyone hated him or just didn’t care about him at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Game looks like a million bucks from a graphical perspective, I actually think it looks much better than SF6.

Gameplay looks like a refined version of what we've gotten before which is cool. They didn't show any meters or anything that would give us hints as to what kinds of resources you'll have at your disposal in this game, so I'm curious if it'll be more like what MK11 had, if they'll go back to what it was in 9/X, or if it'll be something completely different. The Kameo thing I'm not completely sold on yet, but it looks cool and it's a different vibe than what the series has had before.

Well there are a few new things that looked pretty cool and unique for MK in the trailer. 

It looked like there are jump cancellable strings, which is a series first I'm pretty sure. And actual air to air juggles. I'm still not sold on the whole assist fighter thing but overall it was a pretty good gameplay trailer. 

Weirdly enough the stages really stood out for me. Johnny's loft looked stunning, same for that garden and forest stages. Probably the prettiest backgrounds I've seen in an NRS game.

12 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Game looks like a million bucks from a graphical perspective, I actually think it looks much better than SF6.

The backgrounds yes, those are exquisite and possibly the most detailed ever, but the models themselves and how they animate are so flat. Like the way the bodies move in some combos is so off even by MK standards.

The base designs are also so similar with so little variation. A bit too simple.

Raiden and Kung Lao look so similar in shape, proportions, size, and clothing. Mileena and Kitana also. Scorpion and Sub. And then Cage and Kenshi. Couldn't immediately tell them apart until I saw Kenshi's specials.

FyIIICsWYBApxIJ?format=jpg&name=360x360

Like this is a step down in terms of character designs from MK 11 and MK X.

edit- I will give them credit for the music choice in the trailer btw. Very nice departure from previous games and I hope the game music is this good.

Edited by Daemos
3 hours ago, Daemos said:

The backgrounds yes, those are exquisite and possibly the most detailed ever, but the models themselves and how they animate are so flat. Like the way the bodies move in some combos is so off even by MK standards.

The base designs are also so similar with so little variation. A bit too simple.

Raiden and Kung Lao look so similar in shape, proportions, size, and clothing. Mileena and Kitana also. Scorpion and Sub. And then Cage and Kenshi. Couldn't immediately tell them apart until I saw Kenshi's specials.

FyIIICsWYBApxIJ?format=jpg&name=360x360

Like this is a step down in terms of character designs from MK 11 and MK X.

edit- I will give them credit for the music choice in the trailer btw. Very nice departure from previous games and I hope the game music is this good.

The game looks great graphically, but to be very honest, there were times where some of the models felt like they were coming out a mobile game to me.

The gameplay didn’t impress me either. The assist function should be something I like (but it just seems like an MK11 modifier) as well as the air combos, but I don’t know, it just reminded me way too much of MK11 (especially in regards to movement and neutral flow) and I got turned off.

The story/reveal trailer was a disappointment to me, but I was hoping this reveal would turn things around but it only confirmed that I’ll be skipping this game…

kinda sad since this has been one of my favourite franchises since I saw my first OGMK cabinet 30 years ago, but it is what it is.

Seems like SF6 will be my main FG for some years to come (and I’m definitely okay with that).

(edit to add) also, since the assists seem to be able to come in with different attacks, it will likely use the right analog stick like MK11 did, so RIP stick/leverless players - which if true, will probably prevent me from buying this on a flash $10 sale in 3 years

Edited by Mattatsu
12 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

The game looks great graphically, but to be very honest, there were times where some of the models felt like they were coming out a mobile game to me.

yeah the other character models feels to bland the body mass feel generic and colors are too pale. 

the background are great no doubt but some of the character models feels meh and too bland

21 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

(edit to add) also, since the assists seem to be able to come in with different attacks, it will likely use the right analog stick like MK11 did, so RIP stick/leverless players - which if true, will probably prevent me from buying this on a flash $10 sale in 3 years

They’ve could’ve changed the control scheme. Maybe they’ve finally ditched the useless stance switch button 

Some posts from the MK version of SRK (TRMK forums) regarding MK1 🤣

😐

It's like... yeah. This is pure fucking insanity.

Rinse and repeat. Every... single... fucking time.

This entire thing smells fishy.

You can't trust a single word Ed Boon says, cause he is known to be a complete fucking liar. And I am not talking his "trolling" on tweet. I am talking false advertisement levels of lying. So those "4 years of development" can be easily shut down as bullshit.

MK1 marketing is completely backwards.

Delayed stress test? Uh oh, sounds like game isn't ready for stress testing.

And even in this video... I just can't get over the towers design. Cheap PNG pictures. As a fellow artist, I can smell fancy looking half assed work, from a mile away. Looks pretty if you shut down your brain, but once you start paying attention you can see that this thing was thrown together pretty quickly.

Interface design is also bare fookin bones.

No matter where I look I can't see any those "4 years of development". More like "we were doing something else and then had to change everything at the last second".

It doesn't bode well, that NRS has pretty much dropped Onslaught into development hell too. An asset flip mobile game... was too hard to finish and release.

In the end I get a very strong feeling, that NRS/WB are hiding the main meat of the game, cause it is either:

A. Unfinished.

B. Micro transaction hell.

It's simply bizzare, ever since the "gameplay reveal" trailer. How can you hype it up so much, yell about 4 years etc, but then.... "we've put wrong outdated footage by mistake!!! yeah the game looked like it came straight out of 2007, but it's just a mistake, bro!!". Then the usual suspects stanning: "it's NRS, they always do this!!". I would make a joke about NRS being an Indie comparison, but can't do that.... since there's Indies now who produce absolute bangers, without costing $70+, putting AAA to shame... with their FIRST TITLE.

4 years of hardcore AAA Digital Deluxe development by video game Heavyweight Champions! Something is seriously fishy with this game, as you said.

www.trmk.org/forums/

EDIT:

This is fascinating. You get the true canon/lore "straight from the horses mouth" between the events from MK to UMK3. Guess Shao Kahn was dying and needed even more power and this is why he merged realms.

If only NRS hired him for the lore:

I like this one. MKII is much like SFII. Nobody really won those tournaments in canon:

Blame Liu. Blame Raiden. Doesn’t matter. The MK2 Outworld tournament was a diversion... Nobody won the tournament (character endings don’t count). The good guys lost. The tournament was interrupted by the merging of realms which led to the events of MK3.

Edited by Jion_Wansu

This game looks so slow. I always watch YT videos on 2x speed because i don't have time to waste, but with these MK videos that are put out during these Stress Tests, I tried to watch them regularly and man, everything looks so floaty. They can't get their animations straight for this franchise to save their lives. So sad that the terrific graphics these games show, which are unquestionably top-notch, are bogged down by this stuff. They had this same problem since MKvDC, but I gave them a pass then, since MKvDC was poor in all respects, MK9 was their first game in a long time, MKX looked like shit in general... but after MK11 it's crazy. The graphics leap between those two games is not as high as in the previous iterations so they could have tried harder to improve on this stuff.

26 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

If the villain is a returning character my bet is on the dragon king. He was underdeveloped in the midway timeline and completely absent in the NRS timeline. This would be a good opportunity to bring him back.

Yeah that's who I'm thinking.

It's not Shang because he is a preorder bonus, so it's either Onaga or someone new.