Stage Select

The NRS Thread

Am I the only one underwhelmed with these designs? They all look so similar. I thought we moved past this. All the ninjas, kitana/mileena, and now Raiden/Kung Lao all look so damn similar. So little variety in the character models compared to the stages which are impeccably designed.

52 minutes ago, Daemos said:

Am I the only one underwhelmed with these designs? They all look so similar. I thought we moved past this. All the ninjas, kitana/mileena, and now Raiden/Kung Lao all look so damn similar. So little variety in the character models compared to the stages which are impeccably designed.

It makes sense to me that ninjas look similar as they are all in the same clan. Looking uniform makes sense for them. Maybe less so for Lao and Raiden

1 hour ago, Daemos said:

They’ve combined Outworld snd Edenia it seems. So either Jerrod is the ruler of Outworld now or Onaga conquered Edenia and married Sindel.

Maybe this is a non reptilian version of Onaga, since Reptile is also on the leak list.

What's the list? I don't remember seeing this General Shao one before.

Another EDIT:

Damashi does indeed return!!!!

===================================================================

EDIT:

LOOOL, now most people believe that the leaker was really Ed Boon himself on reddit 2 years ago!!!!

===================================================================

LOOOOL:

This spoiler for MK12/MK1 was leaked almost 2 years ago on reddit (over a year ago). Someone screen grabbed it and posted it. Spoilers ahead LOOOL:

It has since been deleted from reddit

Spoiler

Spoiler

Kuai Liang is Scorpion

Spoiler

DKWWvyo.jpeg

Edited by Jion_Wansu
On 7/7/2023 at 1:59 PM, Dracu said:

Oh, I saw this before but never realized Shao Khan was supposed to be "General Shao". This is a great roster. Kind of too great to be true. Guess we shall see.

Considering it doesnt have Rain or Kenshi, I'd say its not true

2 hours ago, mykka said:

Considering it doesnt have Rain or Kenshi, I'd say its not true

Yeah, but the General Shao tidbit is too out there to be just a guess, so things might have changed behind the scenes between when the leaker got the info and actual development started.

On 7/13/2023 at 11:19 PM, DoctaMario said:

It's a funny meme but I don't see how it applies to the clip he was responding to. The animation here is way smoother than it was in, say, MKX where that sentiment still applies in places.

The animations have improved in terms of of fluidity, it's the cancels that look really janky, plus the Kung Lao thing where he teleports that just very silly.

MK games have been constantly improving in terms of animation, but they keep having stuff that doesn't look right.

Also, I just thought the meme was funny.

On 7/13/2023 at 5:19 PM, DoctaMario said:

It's a funny meme but I don't see how it applies to the clip he was responding to. The animation here is way smoother than it was in, say, MKX where that sentiment still applies in places.

Johnny's moves lack impact. It feels like a fight choreographer demonstrating to an actor how to do a fight sequence instead of an actual fight sequence. 

3 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

The animations have improved in terms of of fluidity, it's the cancels that look really janky, plus the Kung Lao thing where he teleports that just very silly.

MK games have been constantly improving in terms of animation, but they keep having stuff that doesn't look right.

Also, I just thought the meme was funny.

It was definitely a funny meme for sure

I do agree the Kung Lao teleport thing was a little silly, but it's interesting to me that you can have the abilities of other fighters with this Kameo thing, and I think some of the levity in these games is what keeps them from being a little too morose what with all the violence. As for the cancels, I will go r you that some of the moves don't quite flow into each other as smoothly as they could, but the moves themselves look really smooth to my eyes. 

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Johnny's moves lack impact. It feels like a fight choreographer demonstrating to an actor how to do a fight sequence instead of an actual fight sequence. 

What do you mean by "lack impact?" I don't get the feeling you mentioned, so maybe you could explain a little more?

2 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

It was definitely a funny meme for sure

I do agree the Kung Lao teleport thing was a little silly, but it's interesting to me that you can have the abilities of other fighters with this Kameo thing, and I think some of the levity in these games is what keeps them from being a little too morose what with all the violence. As for the cancels, I will go r you that some of the moves don't quite flow into each other as smoothly as they could, but the moves themselves look really smooth to my eyes. 

What do you mean by "lack impact?" I don't get the feeling you mentioned, so maybe you could explain a little more?

Lack of force behind his blows. That's why I made the analogy to a fight choreographer demonstrating a sequence. They'll go through the sequence at half speed. Then the performer will go through the same sequence at full speed. Despite the motion being the same, it looks better. The strikes look impactful.

Wonder if they're going to address Shang Tsung's true for this time around (I doubt it):

mk2-development07.png

When Shang Tsung was granted a youthful body, Tobias sketched out the transformation from wizened old man to a spry 19-year-old. The demonic creature represents Shang Tsung's true form, which we never see in the game.

So, it is canon since one of the creators presented Shang Tsung's true form. Does that mean he's also from the Netherrealm?

Happy Li Mei is back and her fatality is awesome, but everything else looks like total garbage.

Announcing a Kombat Pack before even the final roster is an insult. Filling it with a two Superman clones is even worse. Giving Ermac the lamest, blandest design imaginable is also a huge minus. 

Raceswapping Tanya, giving her the most horrendous design with those fucking sausage tendrils coming down her face and changing her main weapon to whatever the fuck that is. Poorest reimagining of a character I've ever seen. She was perfect in MKX. Just have Jade in if you want a black staff weilding girl. Or at the very least make her look good. She was always dark skinned so making her black is whatever, but that hairstyle and outfit is a fucking joke. 

The story looks cool, but weird. I like Baraka in this. The whole virus spin might turn him into a character with a bit more agency. Still weird how they push Tarkatans being just those misunderstood different race in Outworld, who deserve pity. Sometimes monsters should just be monsters that are out for blood, so you are more than entitled to eviscerate them. Seems so... preachy.

Guess Darrius being back is cool too. He's not really one of the more memorable characters from the 3D era, but he never was out of place either. He was just a bit bland, but that works great for a Kameo. 

I want to see Kai in. He's the only MK4 character who hasn't had a second chance at redemption and he was probably the best out of them. Jarek is just a Kano clone so he can never appear again in my book, but Kai deserves it. With how cool Fujin turned out in MK11, he'd certainly steal the spotlight with some of that care.

4 hours ago, Dracu said:

...Filling it with a two Superman clones is even worse. Giving Ermac the lamest, blandest design imaginable is also a huge minus...

See, told you guys that this was supposed to be Injustice 3. At the last minute they replaced the Injustice characters for Mortal Kombat characters but left the comic book guest characters in the game.

4 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Apparently this is Baraka bio.

scrnli_7_21_2023_6-43-16_PM.png

He is heroic in this game

Isn't this Baraka pretty much in the OG timelines as well? fights for the Tarkatans and the leader of the Tarkatans.

Edited by Jion_Wansu
10 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

So Tanya and Mileena are lesbian lovers in this timeline? 🤣r

Overall the stories are looking good though. Hoping story mode in this game will be the best it's been in awhile.

Makes sense two of the fugliest bitches in Edenia couldn't get anyone else but eachother.

16 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

So Tanya and Mileena are lesbian lovers in this timeline? 🤣r

Overall the stories are looking good though. Hoping story mode in this game will be the best it's been in awhile.

Tanya is Mileena's concubine in MKX. This is a case of them being lovers again. 

9 hours ago, Jion_Wansu said:

See, told you guys that this was supposed to be Injustice 3. At the last minute they replaced the Injustice characters for Mortal Kombat characters but left the comic book guest characters in the game.

So instead of putting three comic book characters known for their bloodiness into the equally as gory MK, they would have instead been put into Injustice. A much tamer game where the three can’t violently kill someone and where two evil Superman expies would be redundant in a game with an evil Superman. Is that what you’re telling us?

2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Tanya is Mileena's concubine in MKX. This is a case of them being lovers again. 

This is also alluded to when she got into MK11. Mileena’s hurting from Tanya’s offscreen death can be heard in her intro dialogues and her ending has her bring her back to life so they can rule together.

IMG_7966.png