Stage Select

The NRS Thread

1 hour ago, BornWinner said:

One of the developers flubbed and accidentally revealed something. 

Hide contents

Instead of Hanzo, Scorpion is instead Kuai Liang who was the second Sub-Zero in all other games.

Nice to see it confirmed but most people had already figured as much. Now I'm wondering about Takeda though. He's got a Shirai Ryu emblem on his gear.

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Nice to see it confirmed but most people had already figured as much.

I’ve seen people coping hard that it was otherwise despite the increasing amount of evidence. Glad I won’t have to see that anymore.

As for Takeda, I don’t see why it can’t be the one from X. Outside of MK11 Aftermath, the DLC characters usually aren’t relevant to the story. But there is some people thinking that this could be this Takeda, the man who split from the Lin Kuei and formed the Shirai Ryu.

1 hour ago, Volta said:

Am I the only one who doesn't like guest characters from other universes...? Apparently there's a big demand for them, but I just find them immersion-breaking.

I feel the same way most of the time. Baiken in SamSho made sense, and I think Terminator and Rambo would have made sense if they were characters FROM the MK universe and not huge movie icons. Also the fact that these characters aren't bound to the rules of the universe means there's a chance they're going to stick out in a bad way. But they print money for NRS so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Have they mentioned anything about single player modes?

Man, Tanya's design is awesome. From the 3 section staff to the buddha hands while blocking. Too bad people are shitting on her looks. NRS uses a lot of actors and models for characters, so there's probably some poor lady that was excited to be in the game that went on twitter to find half the planet calling her ugly.

On 7/23/2023 at 8:51 AM, Volta said:

Am I the only one who doesn't like guest characters from other universes...? Apparently there's a big demand for them, but I just find them immersion-breaking.

No, I fucking hate guest characters with a passion. Whenever I mention it, it always brings up how popular they are when I really don't give a fuck. Just because something is popular doesn't mean I have to like it. Hopefully Capcom keeps away from this bullshit. Funnily enough I didn't used to hate guest characters. At first you'd get like one guest, even if it was dumb it's just one character but you see it doesn't stop there. One becomes two, two becomes three, etc. Then you end up with bull shit like the latest Kombat Pack that six characters with only half of them actually being MK characters.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
45 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

No, I fucking hate guest characters with a passion. Whenever I mention it, it always brings up how popular they are when I really don't give a fuck. Just because something is popular doesn't mean I have to like it. Hopefully Capcom keeps away from this bullshit. Funnily enough I didn't used to hate guest characters. At first you'd like one guest, even if it was dumb it's just one character but you see it doesn't stop there. One becomes two, two becomes three, etc. Then you end up with bull shit like the late Kombat Pack that six characters with only half of them actually being MK characters.

Exactly my thoughts. First time I noticed it was when Link was included in SC2. I thought it was stupid, but didn't really think about it too much. Little did I know that 20 years later, it would infest so many other games. I don't really mind characters like Cody in SF. I'm not a big lore guy, but I think FF and SF are supposed to be in the same universe. I really hate the Injustice-esque characters in MK, as well as Robocop, etc. It's so jarring and out of place.

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

Man, Tanya's design is awesome. From the 3 section staff to the buddha hands while blocking. Too bad people are shitting on her looks. NRS uses a lot of actors and models for characters, so there's probably some poor lady that was excited to be in the game that went on twitter to find half the planet calling her ugly.

I'm ugly too, that's why I stay the hell away from modeling jobs. This lady should've done the same.

On 7/23/2023 at 1:28 PM, Sonero said:

Which means zilch when they alter their facial features to make them look worse. What they did to Sheeva's face model was crime. I liked the way Jacqui looked but she looks worse than her face model. Frost's face model isn't bad looking, can't say the same for Frost. On the filpside, they basically 1 to 1 convert the male face models. Tanya's face model is probably a dime, can't say the same for Tanya.

Edit: Internet is fast. Apparently Tanya's face model is named Sydney Cross

gallery_model_KFSqwmD6ECWu.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/sydneyxcross/

So it's like I figured, face model looks good better than the in game model.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
9 hours ago, Volta said:

Outside of Smash, I don’t think I ever liked a guest character. I can come around to one if they fit the game or if they had done well with the roster beforehand. I liked seeing Baiken in SamSho along with TMNT and Hellboy in Injustice 2. I didn’t care for Geralt in Soul Calibur 6, but they ended up putting every well liked character from the series into it so I got over it.

The way NRS does guests is my second least favorite among the genre. In my opinion, they choose characters that are both unfitting and over someone that should be in. I can understand Scorpion and Sub-Zero being put into Injustice, but I feel Raiden shouldn’t have been in over a DC character. And it’s crazy how a popular character like Reptile was never playable in MK11, but Robocop was. The pass they have for MK1 doesn’t interest me either because of the guests.

20 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:
  Hide contents

This will fuel the fan theory of Hanzo being smoke.

Takeda is Hanzo

EDIT

Remember Kitana's model for MK11 looks exactly the same in real life. Don't know why NRS couldn't do the same for Tanya??? Maybe in later Kombat Packs they can redo Tanya to look more like the model.

w06tyxh7qwv31.jpg?width=1080&crop=smart&

MK1 face model for Kitana/Mileena is named Quynh Chi 🤣 (makes sense lol).

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ctol-xKgxMO/?hl=en

quynh-chi-nguyen-is-confirmed-to-be-mile

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FymcoAyXsAAr26Q?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FymcoAuWYBAfMC9?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by Jion_Wansu
17 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Which means zilch when alter their facial features to make them look worse. What they did to Sheeva's face model was crime. I liked the way Jacqui looked but she looks worse than her face model. Frost's face model isn't bad looking, can't say the same for Frost. On the filpside, the basically 1 to 1 convert the male face models. Tanya's face model is probably a dime, can't say the same for Tanya.

Edit: Internet is fast. Apparently Tanya's face model is named Sydney Cross

gallery_model_KFSqwmD6ECWu.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/sydneyxcross/

So it's like I figured, face model looks good better than the in game model.

Seriously, fuck NRS. This girl is so pretty, yet Tanya ended up looking like a retard. Guess all the care went into Omni-man's moustache.

25 minutes ago, Dracu said:

Seriously, fuck NRS. This girl is so pretty, yet Tanya ended up looking like a retard. Guess all the care went into Omni-man's moustache.

I honesty have an issue with how NRS handles their female characters at this point. Before they looked bad because they clearly didn't have the skill to portray them properly. That's no longer the case. Also why are they getting in the habit of pulling BS with Tanya. They white washed her in MKX and fixed it for the DLC version but not the story mode. Now this...I mean Boon's sister is named Tanya, you'd think they would get her right.

So, the main theme of MK1 is basically "what if this character's story was the opposite of what it used to be".

Kitana and Mileena's roles are switched. Scorpion and Sub-Zero as well. Baraka isn't a token bad guy jobber but kind of a hero for a bunch of oppressed people. Tanya isn't a chronic backstabber but the most loyal of Edenia's bodyguard (so Jade is going to be the traitor in this one, maybe?).

I don't know. Much like the "what if in the next game there's a time skip and we play as the children/students of the old main characters who are now masters" trope I feel that it sounds interesting when fans speculate about it and it's likely to turn dumb and unappealing when they actually make a game out of it.

Also, the trend of using stunning real life actors to face-scan and then seemingly uglify them in-game continues.

Like, is this on purpose or are they just fucking up? If it's the latter, are they really that bad? And if it's the former, why even?

I think this current thread is interesting so far, but I don't have much hope. It mostly seems like a flimsy way to keep things the way they are while throwing some change in.

I'm just curious to see what the main threat is going to be though. The boss character. If we pre-order to get Shang Tsung, maybe he's not it. At the rate stuff is dropping now, we'll probably know in the next few weeks.

10 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Geras, huh? Liu Kang must have saved him from the sea of blood. I wonder why he would do that. 

Geras has lived since the beginning of time. Watching Kronika reset a timeline for who knows how long. If anyone could help the former humble Chinese monk with such a power, it would be him. One thing I liked that they seem to be good friends in spite of what happened the last game.

And holy shit, that 2nd fatality from Liu! I gave shit to NRS for going too long and too gory for the recent games finishers, but that was sick. It helps that it doesn’t have the biggest problem I have with modern fatalities. I hope more finishers wow me like that.

On 7/24/2023 at 1:30 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

I honesty have an issue with how NRS handles their female characters at this point. Before they looked bad because they clearly didn't have the skill to portray them properly. That's no longer the case. Also why are they getting in the habit of pulling BS with Tanya. They white washed her in MKX and fixed it for the DLC version but not the story mode. Now this...I mean Boon's sister is named Tanya, you'd think they would get her right.

I thought it was weird how good looking everyone in MK11 was though. Kano is a case in point, the dude looked like a GQ model not an international criminal mastermind. I think the characters' attractiveness or lack thereof should figure into what their character is about if that makes sense.

Not sure what the deal with Tanya is, but if she's the head of an important military outfit and a butch lesbian chick, chances are she doesn't care about looking pretty and feminine and they made her facial features reflect that.

16 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I thought it was weird how good looking everyone in MK11 was though. Kano is a case in point, the dude looked like a GQ model not an international criminal mastermind. I think the characters' attractiveness or lack thereof should figure into what their character is about if that makes sense.

Not sure what the deal with Tanya is, but if she's the head of an important military outfit and a butch lesbian chick, chances are she doesn't care about looking pretty and feminine and they made her facial features reflect that.

NRS uses male and female models for their faces. So they, although people's tastes differ, would generally be considered attractive from the outset. If they aren't, it's because they've made them less so on purpose. Here are the MK11 face models.

https://www.instagram.com/mk11facemodels/?hl=en

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

NRS uses male and female models for their faces. So they, although people's tastes differ, would generally be considered attractive from the outset. If they aren't, it's because they've made them less so on purpose. Here are the MK11 face models.

https://www.instagram.com/mk11facemodels/?hl=en

Boy did I not see Kronika's face model coming lol

On 7/25/2023 at 5:50 PM, BornWinner said:

Takeda’s confirmed to be the one from MKX or at least still related to Kenshi with having Kenshi’s last name. This comes from an email sent by WB.

IMG_8340.webp

Maybe that is the Takeda from MKX. It could be that Quan Chi brought himself, Takeda, Ermac, etc. from the MKX timeline to this new timeline. So this story probably deals with 3, 4, 5, or 6 timelines all at one point in time converging or something.

It seems like a Flashpoint from The Flash theme as well in that there are fixed points in time that can't be altered and they will eventually occur like Shao Kahn becoming the emperor of Outworld (again).

EDIT: The voice actress of Kronika also voiced Phoenix in MVC3/UMVC3.

Edited by Jion_Wansu

Ngl I think NRS dropped the ball with Ashrah's redesign imo. To me her appeal was she was a saintly, divine looking demon, almost like a priestess like Kazumi in Tekken. Her design in MK1 just makes her look like Kitana in white. 

I still think she looks pretty cool but she coulda looked cooler imo.

1 minute ago, Jocelot said:

Ngl I think NRS dropped the ball with Ashrah's redesign imo. To me her appeal was she was a saintly, divine looking demon, almost like a priestess like Kazumi in Tekken. Her design in MK1 just makes her look like Kitana in white. 

I still think she looks pretty cool but she coulda looked cooler imo.

I don't mind her design....it's just weird that she doesn't have her trademark hat.

I think this was my favorite trailer yet overall. I really like the direction they took Reptile with the partial and full 'werelizard' transformations. Especially the Aspect of the Crucible: Tail incantation he uses from Elden Ring. And I still wanna try out Ashrah, she still looks awesome overall.

18 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

it's just weird that she doesn't have her trademark hat.

Jeah, I guess they ditched the hat to dodge the "girl Kung Lao/Raiden" accusations from the old days. I thought it was cool too, maybe we'll get it in an alt costume. 

9 minutes ago, Jocelot said:

I think this was my favorite trailer yet overall. I really like the direction they took Reptile with the partial and full 'werelizard' transformations. Especially the Aspect of the Crucible: Tail incantation he uses from Elden Ring. And I still wanna try out Ashrah, she still looks awesome overall.

Jeah, I guess they ditched the hat to dodge the "girl Kung Lao/Raiden" accusations from the old days. I thought it was cool too, maybe we'll get it in an alt costume. 

I didn't catch it so I can't take it credit. I saw a Youtube comment that said Ashrah has her hat on in the story scene where Reptile goes invisible and she does. So there's still a chance.

Edit: It's at the 2:12 mark

Edited by Darc_Requiem

9 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I didn't catch it so I can't take it credit. I saw a Youtube comment that said Ashrah has her hat on in the story scene where Reptile goes invisible and she does. So there's still a chance.

Edit: It's at the 2:12 mark

Oh wow, that's a nice catch. That's cool. Definitely 100% on the Ashrah hypetrain now.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

We got three characters revealed. Reptile, Ashrah, and Havok.

You know, I was scared at the concept of them bringing back the MK3D-era characters, but that fear is pretty much gone now. I guess I thought that because the gameplay from that era sucked, the characters did too. But they're putting real effort into making them over. It's great to see.

Human Reptile is a big plus. The fact he turns into dr. Connors is kinda lame. I would've preferred he exhibit only mild reptilian features, but he's better than the previous games.

Ashrah... well, like Tanya she suffers from ugly-motherfucker face, but I am glad to see her back. 

Havik looks meh at the moment but I think he'll develop into something better during the story mode.

Edit: Scratch that. I just watched the trailer again. Havik is awesome. I just miss his helmet. 

Edited by Dracu

@DracuUnlike Tanya, Ashrah doesn't bother me. There is a lore reason for her appearance. "I look nearly human because I've purged almost all the evil from my soul." It implies that her appearance has been changing as she excises the darkness from her soul. So if/when she gets rid of all the darkness, she should look like old school Ashrah. Tanya looks fucked up because they decided to take a pretty woman's face and fuck it up on purpose. 😒

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@DracuUnlike Tanya, Ashrah doesn't bother me. There is a lore reason for her appearance. "I look nearly human because I've purged almost all the evil from my soul." It implies that her appearance has been changing as she excises the darkness from her soul. So if/when she gets rid of all the darkness, she should look like old school Ashrah. Tanya looks fucked up because they decided to take a pretty woman's face and fuck it up on purpose. 😒

I guess I'm more forgiving of Asherah because the hype of her back outweighs her looking lame. Not to mention her gameplay actually looks sick. With Tanya we already had her back in MKX so when they fucked her up it was sadder, since you'd expect an improvement over the last iteration.