Stage Select

The NRS Thread


Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Yeah I got it a few months ago. Haven't played it much in the last month or so since Tetris has taken over my life, but it's an easy enough game to pick back up. 

 

Which variation were you using? I started out using Ratbag, moved to Ripper after seeing how meter dependant Ratbag was and because I played Commando in MKX, and then after finally playing online a bit, moved onto Dirtbag. Dirtbag feels the most viable to me, but they all seem pretty useful. 

I only use the one with a command grab.

Link to post
31 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I will never understand why NRS couldn't have made custom variants simple so they can be tournament legal. It would be sweet if we got to chose which special moves we want to use after selecting our character. 

Yeah, i don't know why there wasn't a quick drop down menu from the character select screen, and then showing your opponents chosen moves during the loading screen. That was my biggest problem with the game. I pre-ordered it and was lucky enough to get access to both the stress test and beta and loved the custom variations i made for Baraka and Jade. Then the game comes out and the moves i liked were split up between the two launch tournament variations, or not included at all... I was also hard-pressed on taking the game seriously so custom variations weren't an option for me.

 

it also ruins my hype for a character trailer because i know i won't be able to do a lot of the stuff i see if I'm sticking with the tournament variations. A lot of the variations suck too, making the character feel incomplete.

 

back in February, i think, Boon said he’d like to make them tournament legal. He thought it would really spruce the game up (which it absolutely would, the custom tournaments are very hype to watch), but with no news yet, i don't think its going to happen.

Link to post
32 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Yeah, i don't know why there wasn't a quick drop down menu from the character select screen, and then showing your opponents chosen moves during the loading screen. That was my biggest problem with the game. I pre-ordered it and was lucky enough to get access to both the stress test and beta and loved the custom variations i made for Baraka and Jade. Then the game comes out and the moves i liked were split up between the two launch tournament variations, or not included at all... I was also hard-pressed on taking the game seriously so custom variations weren't an option for me.

 

it also ruins my hype for a character trailer because i know i won't be able to do a lot of the stuff i see if I'm sticking with the tournament variations. A lot of the variations suck too, making the character feel incomplete.

 

back in February, i think, Boon said he’d like to make them tournament legal. He thought it would really spruce the game up (which it absolutely would, the custom tournaments are very hype to watch), but with no news yet, i don't think its going to happen.

I know what mean. None of Sub Zero variants make him feel like a complete character. Rising ice is his best move for combo extensions and it's in none of his variants. The shitty replacement for ice clones makes it but not rising ice. 

 

Has Boon said how he will make custom tournament legal? From my understanding they are banned because it's a logistics issue.

Link to post
53 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Has Boon said how he will make custom tournament legal? From my understanding they are banned because it's a logistics issue.

No, he just said in an interview very simply that he’d like custom variations to be tournament legal, he think it’d be fun. I have seen on Twitter their lead UI guy, Daanish, acknowledge a tweet about drop down menus from the character select screen, but that was shortly after launch. I’m sure they know how they can do it, they just aren’t sure if they should... I do remember pre-launch, Boon stating that they wanted three tournament variations, saying that competitive players like regulation and they wanted to gibe those players less options to lab against, or something like that.

 

though, with this year, it’s not like MK11 is a competitive hotspot... Yeah, there are a lot of online tournaments, but i think going ahead with customs with breath new life into the game.

Link to post

They sort of put themselves in a corner with the custom variations idea. Its a fun idea and very "NRS" if that makes sense (plus they've been edging that way for awhile) but at the same time it was very unlikely to be anything other than a "for funsies" feature. 

 

Part of the perception of a competitive game is balance and trying to balance all those combinations for any kind of competitive play was probably never in the cards. Especially since as Roofle pointed out in his latest MK11 vid (did he make the migration?) NRS seems to be taking a relatively light touch approach to patching this time around. 

 

Though to your point with where the game is at in the zeitgeist maybe it is time to just kick open Pandora's box and see what happens.

Link to post

That’s it! Let’s have some fun!

 

Though i’m half debating just making a custom variation and having some fun against you guys (if you’re playing customs), Kitana’s Fan-Fare is good for a tournament variation, but has a weak spot.... to be honest, i kinda see their logic. A lot of pro players play along to tiers. There arent too many that are character loyalists like a more causal fan would be, and with the amount of characters and variations, there is a counter-pick for whatever you’re struggling with, so it’s easy to have someone pick Jade’s 1st variation to counterpick your zoning  (which is easy to lab against), rather than have them go and futz around with the custom abilities for whichever character.

 

and yes Evil made it over.

Link to post

Last night/this morning, I realized a couple things:

 

1) Playing online randoms in this game really makes me salty. Everyone seems so intent on teabagging and getting scrubby wins just to fatality you. That said, I’m still going to play KL if there are certain rewards I really want (like that Sindel skin next season, and the Scorpion/Reptile skin in the one after). Also, I’ll keep a tournament variation to play you guys, if that’s what we’re playing, but I will lab a custom one too.

 

2) While i love Kitana as a character, I find my approach with her is very limited and I’m always doing the same thing. This stems from having a hard time against zoners with her, so i’m always rushing in to reduce that risk.

 

i’m going to start learning Avalanche Sub-Zero for my tournament variation. I think it has good tools to do some dirty stuff, his up-close game is a bit more threatening with his mix, and I think he’s safer from a distance with his ice ball and slide that goes under most projectiles. His F4 is awesome too and he has some of the fastest attacks in the game. I didn’t like any of his launch variations, but Avalanche is definitely something I’d be happy to use.

 

I’m also going to mess around with a custom variation Sindel. I really like her in this game (more than Kitana or Sub tbh), but i really don't like her tournament variations.

Link to post

I don't play this game but Mileena's visual design in MK X is far better than her MK 11 one. 

 

Yea she was more "humanized" in MK X visually but it looked cooler. I hope she gets her MK X face features as one of the customization options in MK 11.

 

Still, i don't even play this game but wanted to shout that out.

 

'Aight, peace.

Link to post
21 minutes ago, Skort said:

I don't play this game but Mileena's visual design in MK X is far better than her MK 11 one. 

 

Yea she was more "humanized" in MK X visually but it looked cooler. I hope she gets her MK X face features as one of the customization options in MK 11.

 

Still, i don't even play this game but wanted to shout that out.

 

'Aight, peace.

Lol, i agree with you, but for different reasons. From what we’ve seen from Mileena in 11, i don't think she looks good. Her costume and hair seems off. It doesn’t seem to suit her and she also doesn't look polished enough (hopefully that gets fixed in the next month).

 

funny enough, the only thing I like is that her classic mouth returned.

Edited by Mattatsu
Link to post

No doubt her classic mouth is probably liked more by die hard Mileena fans ( in most cases ) but i personally enjoy her MKX look more.

 

It's like me and Juri. I love her long hair look. But if she does not have her hair horns in SF 6 imma bring out my double barrel.....

Link to post

There is definitely something about Mileena that looks off. For me I think its that the monster face doesn't map super well onto the more realistic face model. But that could also be a lighting/angle thing. 

 

Anyone know anything about T-800? He seems kinda grappler-y in a way that could be fun but my MK game play instincts are weak.

Link to post

I sometimes wonder if I'm ever going to get better at this game. The good news is, I made it to demi-god 2 days before the end of the season. The bad news is, I did the exact same thing last season, so apparently I haven't made any progress at all.

Link to post
46 minutes ago, Volta said:

I sometimes wonder if I'm ever going to get better at this game. The good news is, I made it to demi-god 2 days before the end of the season. The bad news is, I did the exact same thing last season, so apparently I haven't made any progress at all.

Did you compare your win-ratio/games played?

also, I’ve only played in two seasons, but in my experience, when you start (like the first couple days of the new season) seems to matter a lot in regards to the calibur of players you’re matched against

Link to post
1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

Did you compare your win-ratio/games played?

also, I’ve only played in two seasons, but in my experience, when you start (like the first couple days of the new season) seems to matter a lot in regards to the calibur of players you’re matched against

That's a good point, I didn't compare win/loss ratios. I think that might be better than last season's. Here's to hoping that they do away with the KL season system and just implement one general ranking.

Edited by Volta
Link to post
6 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Last night/this morning, I realized a couple things:

 

1) Playing online randoms in this game really makes me salty. Everyone seems so intent on teabagging and getting scrubby wins just to fatality you. That said, I’m still going to play KL if there are certain rewards I really want (like that Sindel skin next season, and the Scorpion/Reptile skin in the one after). Also, I’ll keep a tournament variation to play you guys, if that’s what we’re playing, but I will lab a custom one too.

 

2) While i love Kitana as a character, I find my approach with her is very limited and I’m always doing the same thing. This stems from having a hard time against zoners with her, so i’m always rushing in to reduce that risk.

 

i’m going to start learning Avalanche Sub-Zero for my tournament variation. I think it has good tools to do some dirty stuff, his up-close game is a bit more threatening with his mix, and I think he’s safer from a distance with his ice ball and slide that goes under most projectiles. His F4 is awesome too and he has some of the fastest attacks in the game. I didn’t like any of his launch variations, but Avalanche is definitely something I’d be happy to use.

 

I’m also going to mess around with a custom variation Sindel. I really like her in this game (more than Kitana or Sub tbh), but i really don't like her tournament variations.

That's playing randoms in any NRS game. I run into a lot of players that rely on flow charting scrub like tactics to win. The mashing of crouching normals is like the biggest one. If you break the flow chart watch them rage quit with the quickness. 

You got ice trap setups? 

 

Link to post
3 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

That's playing randoms in any NRS game. I run into a lot of players that rely on flow charting scrub like tactics to win. The mashing of crouching normals is like the biggest one. If you break the flow chart watch them rage quit with the quickness. 

You mean I can't just spam cr. 1?  Damn I'm ded.

Link to post
43 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

You got ice trap setups? 

I haven’t labbed them yet but found a few great vids on it. Thanks!

also, yeah, the NRS scene seems to be filled with a lot more teenagers and such than a lot of other fighters, but I mute the mic’s so I don’t know for sure lol

Link to post
On 10/11/2020 at 9:32 AM, Skort said:

No doubt her classic mouth is probably liked more by die hard Mileena fans ( in most cases ) but i personally enjoy her MKX look more.

 

It's like me and Juri. I love her long hair look. But if she does not have her hair horns in SF 6 imma bring out my double barrel.....

I actually like her design in this game and the art direction is one of the main problems I have with it because a lot of the skins look less like MK and more like Injustice to me. I think the hit an art sweet spot with MKX, it was a very dark and distinctive game in the art department. I loved that. 

Link to post
22 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

What's all included?

If you don't buy Aftermath, while you don’t get the Aftermatch story mode expansion, you also don’t get Fujin, Sheeva, and Robocop as playable characters. You also miss out on three skin packs. The characters you can buy individually, but you cannot buy the skins individually.

 

i’ll try to find some info for the skin packs so you can see them to see if that influences your decision and will edit this post when i do.

 

As i’ve mentioned before, a lot of the default designs in this game are ass (imo). You usually get one of the better skins by doing a character’s tutorial (which only takes a few minutes), but apart from that, they’re going to push you into grinding single player things or buying DLC skins if you care about cosmetics.

 

also, you unlocked skins and things by completing the story modes (both of the them). Also, you need to beat chapter 4 of the first story to unlock Frost.

 

Aftermath Skin packs:

Spoiler

spacer.png

 

Edited by Mattatsu
Link to post
5 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Question:

Am I going to need Aftermath? What's all included? Cause MK11 base is $50 and Aftermath is $40, don't wanna drop $70 on this ish, and I have no interest at all in playing story mode 

If it's not a purchase you feel the need to make now, sometimes the complete edition goes on sale. I got the base game, Aftermath, the Kombat Packs, and a few extras for like $45-50. If you can wait, it's not a bad idea. 

Link to post

So far as I know Aftermath is just the chars and the story mode. Balance changes are free to all. Unless you really want to Sheena, Fuijin, and Murphy, probably don't buy that for a ($40) dollar(s). [Look man I tried alright].

 

@MattatsuYou got me to actually literally dust off the hitbox and fire up training mode in something for the first time in a year. When we playin? 

Link to post
20 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

probably don't buy that for a ($40) dollar(s). [Look man I tried alright].

A for effort lol.

 

i cant tonight unfortunately, and tomorrow and possibly Wednesday may late nights at work, but i’ll tag you when i have a better idea.

 

who were you labbing?

Link to post

I labbed sub-zero earlier today for a minute and his armor break sucks, but it just randomly occured to me how much i hate this breakaway/armor break systwm. I think i was spoiled by Kitana because her armor break is actually good and i don’t sacrifice too much damage from my BNBs if they don't break.

 

also, i think i’m going to keep kitana as my tournament variation character.  i do like her and like that i’m already comfortable with her. I just need to watch better player footage to get new ideas.

 

I would like to start playing you guys more. I had good games with @Hawkingbirdand @Yiceman a while back and am looking forward to games with @GetTheTablesbut for you guys and everyone else, are y’all mostly playing tournament or custom variations these days?

Link to post
8 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I labbed sub-zero earlier today for a minute and his armor break sucks, but it just randomly occured to me how much i hate this breakaway/armor break systwm. I think i was spoiled by Kitana because her armor break is actually good and i don’t sacrifice too much damage from my BNBs if they don't break.

 

also, i think i’m going to keep kitana as my tournament variation character.  i do like her and like that i’m already comfortable with her. I just need to watch better player footage to get new ideas.

 

I would like to start playing you guys more. I had good games with @Hawkingbirdand @Yiceman a while back and am looking forward to games with @GetTheTablesbut for you guys and everyone else, are y’all mostly playing tournament or custom variations these days?

I started playing tournament variants more before I started playing ranked and I was attending a couple local events for MK before covid hit. I use Avalanche mainly because of creeping ice. It expands my mix up game and more importantly safe. Ice Trap is shit but it's ok when you can set it up. Slide > cold shoulder. 

 

With custom variations I add rising ice and ice axe to my arsenal. Get a good combo extender and a strong zoning tool. 

Link to post

I'm sticking to tournament variations though mostly due to a lack of knowledge about reasonable alternatives. I will say that even coming into this afer a long hiatus and with not a bunch of game knowledge some of these variations sure do seem to suck. But thats the breaks sometimes. 

 

I've been dusting off Cassie mostly because she is who I have experience with. Plus I like her, though I have the conundrum where I don't like the combo structure of V1 but damn do you miss that low shot in V2. 

 

Also tried out Skarlet again. She is just one of those chars that naturally clicks, ya know? 

 

And trying out Robocop a bit because I think it is deeply stupid that he is in this game so why not. Don't know shit about him though.

Link to post
12 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

And trying out Robocop a bit because I think it is deeply stupid that he is in this game so why not. Don't know shit about him though.

His first variation (i think, the one with all the zoning options) is a huge pain in the ass, just keep back dashing and when you finally get knocked down, then wakeup roll and run away to the other end of the stage lol

 

also, skarlet’s a character I keep wanting to try. She looks fun.

Edited by Mattatsu
Link to post

Yeah after about 5 seconds of dicking around with Murphy it became very clear how one could be a shitlord with him. Love that he has the Cobra gun though. 

 

Skarlet is one of those "pleasantly boring" characters to me. Which I sort of could use in this game because all of the other mechanics are foreign enough that they throw me off. 

Link to post

I always used tournament variations, though I'm not really sure why. I never played ranked and certainly never attended tournaments. I mainly played Sindel, thought I was having fun learning Terminator for a while.

 

Anyone play any Injustice 2? I think I played like 100 hours of that when it came out and never actually fought a real person, lol.

Link to post
2 hours ago, Yiceman said:

I always used tournament variations, though I'm not really sure why. I never played ranked and certainly never attended tournaments. I mainly played Sindel, thought I was having fun learning Terminator for a while.

 

Anyone play any Injustice 2? I think I played like 100 hours of that when it came out and never actually fought a real person, lol.

MK11 is the first Netherrealm game I've spent any real time with.

 

I might consider playing Injustice 2 but it seems like the player base only exists for one Netherrealm game at any given time.

Link to post
7 hours ago, Yiceman said:

I always used tournament variations, though I'm not really sure why. I never played ranked and certainly never attended tournaments. I mainly played Sindel, thought I was having fun learning Terminator for a while.

 

Anyone play any Injustice 2? I think I played like 100 hours of that when it came out and never actually fought a real person, lol.

I messed around with Injustice 2. The single player modes for that game were fun with the gear and all, and while I never really got good, I had fun with it. Think I only played online a couple times myself, but it's a fun game. I was using mainly Brainiac with a side of TMNT.

 

Now that I'm done with this latest run through of Vampyr, I might pick MK11 back up. I know this is probably a chuckle-worthy question, but anyone own the Switch version? I got it mainly to play single player but if anyone owns it on that, maybe we can play sometime. 

Link to post
12 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Don’t know if this was in that silly Canada money or not, but ended up getting it for $35. It’ll be here Saturday 

That’s odd, that twitter account is usually in USD. You got the “Aftermath Kollection” right?

 

edit: i clicked on the amazon link and it took me to the canadian site with the $45 price tag, so i suppose it knew and embedded that version in the tweet for me (which i’ve seen with Steam embedded pages as well).

 

anyways, looking forward to ggs soon.

Edited by Mattatsu
Link to post
14 hours ago, Yiceman said:

Anyone play any Injustice 2? I think I played like 100 hours of that when it came out and never actually fought a real person, lol.

I played Injustice 2 forever ago. I think back on the 360? I played online really briefly but back then I was just playing against randos and as established playing random NRS players isn't always the most endearing thing. I think that was back when it was prime Deadshot time.

 

MK11 is working dark magic towards Inj3 whenever that comes out. Now that I'm getting more used to the flow of NRS games I find myself thinking "y'know I could give Injustice another shot..." Motherfuckers.

 

Edit: Also meant to say this earlier, I tried out Sindel just a bit because she has a nice lookin' character model. What the fuck is up with the design of her core move set?

 

Saying nothing about efficacy; don't know shit about that. Its such a grab bag of random shit it feels like it was designed by a psychopathic 10 year old girl. "She's a ballerina but she also has a huge choppy stick and she has magic and sometimes she hits you in the face with her butt tee hee."

Edited by GetTheTables
Link to post
1 minute ago, GetTheTables said:

Sorry man I only have until 7:21 to play. 😛

 

Yeah that is fine. Hit me up whenever. I'm still trying to get my hands to do the right special moves so I'll take whatever prep time I can get. 

If you want more time, that’s fine. I have it. How about you send me an invite when you’re comfortable? I have a few things i wouldn't mind labbing either

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
  • Create New...
Stage Select