Stage Select

The NRS Thread

3 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

The defensive stuff in this game still fucks with me. I kinda remember to do it but only barely. 

Yeah, there’s quite a few defense options i don't bother with because it’s too much to keep track of.

Until today, i never understood the benefit of resetting your opponent and keeping them standing, because i kept wishing you’d knock me down so i would get my pick of wakeup options to try and stop you, but you’d rarely knock me down, lol.

also, Cassie has some good mixup combos eh? I kept getting fucked by your two combos that overhead on the second hit.

2 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Yeah, there’s quite a few defense options i don't bother with because it’s too much to keep track of.

Until today, i never understood the benefit of resetting your opponent and keeping them standing, because i kept wishing you’d knock me down so i would get my pick of wakeup options to try and stop you, but you’d rarely knock me down, lol.

also, Cassie has some good mixup combos eh? I kept getting fucked by your two combos that overhead on the second hit.

The main overhead she has is F+4, 1. The big front kick into pistol whip. 2nd hit is an overhead and if you don't know that is coming it is probably gonna hit. I definitely leaned on that for awhile 😅. But towards the end you started blocking the 2nd hit and my grandmaster strat was exposed.

That is one of the things I like about this variation of Cassie. Restands at +  (assuming I can finish the combo; the cancel timing on 1, 1, 1 still throws me in the heat of the moment) and none of the BnBs I'm doing knock you up so everything is unbreakable (she does have a higher damage variant but that thing is a 1 frame link so fuck that for the foreseeable future I can't even reliably finish the baby stuff). The damage isn't high but its consistent and lets her bulldog once she gets in. F+4 is also + on block so if she can get into range to start karate kicking she can stagger well. Or so I read. I'm lucky to not just mash out an unsafe special (which is all of them on block).

Don't sell yourself short, we traded a lot of games. Your Kitana is really consistent and you had good pressure in several of those rounds where you cornered me. I just died. 

Biggest thing to watch out for are your full screen tendencies. You're really comfortable throwing those fans, as it seems like you should be (they are a lot better than Cassie's standing shot at least) but I was able to lean on that for trades at the end of some of those rounds. There are also times you get a little flail-y/mash-y on defense but I can't say shit; I mashed sweep so much. 😭 Also the set up you have for the armor break version of your BnB isn't ambiguous - I'm not sure if it can be, but once I knew what to look out for I could tell if it was worth it to even try to breakaway. Assuming I could get the damn thing to come out. Again the defensive options throw me.

I think we did a good job adjusting to each other as the matches rolled on. Made for some great back and forth. Will be very fun to keep at it. 👍

Also connection-wise I didn't have any issues at all, which is a nice change of pace from how SF5 would inevitably shit itself halfway through any set we played.

47 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Don't sell yourself short, we traded a lot of games.

Oh for sure. It was a good back and forth. I really like playing sets like that as it really

points out your weaknesses, but I especially love how the battles change as we play.

Biggest thing to watch out for are your full screen tendencies. You're really comfortable throwing those fans

Yeah, i’m bad with that in any fighting game tbh. That was one thing i liked about Cammy in SFV, she forced me to just walk forward. I do meed to do that more, but you were getting good a blocking my strings or baiting me for punishes that i was getting comfortable back there, haha, but i do just need to get better at varying my rushdown/neutral.

Also the set up you have for the armor break version of your BnB isn't ambiguous

Yeah... I guess it works a lot better in FT2’s in Kombat League 🤣. It got you a few times, but I started realizing that if I went ahead with my typical combo, and you did breakaway, you’d usually wake up while I was whiffing and get a full combo punish on me, so going for the setup was a safer option even if you didn’t breakaway. One thing i think you realized, is if you breakaway after my square wave (ass move) , and I amplify it, I’m fucked. You get a guaranteed full combo on me.

I think we did a good job adjusting to each other as the matches rolled on. Made for some great back and forth. Will be very fun to keep at it.

Absolutely! We’ll only get better and have mire fun sets going forward 👍. One thing I’d like to see is them show or score in between matches. I know we’re playing for fun, but i think there’s be a little extra motivatiom if we saw who was winning and by how much.

Also connection-wise I didn't have any issues at all, which is a nice change of pace from how SF5 would inevitably shit itself halfway through any set we played.

Absolutely. I’m done with SFV. The netcode, for me, has been terrible since the patch they did at the beginning of the year. I’ve only been online 6 different days since, but it’s only been decent (like what it was before) for 2 of those days. Another 2 of the days i couldn't find matches in under 20 minutes. KingTubb and I have been playing a lot of different games lately (from fighting games, to Tony hawk, to fall Guys, etc) and have always had a perfect connection, even in Tekken (for the most part). We tried SFV once and it was completely unplayable.

Edited by Mattatsu
14 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Cassie’s FB seems buggy

Just saw this. 

Cassie's FB kinda sucks. Actually a good bit of her kinda sucks: her FB has a really irritating travel time and angle that makes it weird to hit with, and her Crushing Blows are by and large gimmicky. That is all offset by her really good suite of normals, which is what I mostly like using so it sort of balances out. And maybe the other things will get better the more I use her, though some of those Crushing Blows are just for the lulz.

1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

Kollector, Noob, or Sheeva. Jacqui looks kinda cool too.

Kollector is cool and definitely a character I keep meaning to try. In my top 5 of interest for sure. He has good long ranged attacks and a lot of his combos don’t juggle (which means people can’t do a Breakaway from them).

Noob is great, but if I recall, he doesn’t have too many good mid combo starters, only highs, which whiff on crouching opponents that aren’t blocking. You can “jail” people, by hitting them with a D1 (or maybe it’s a D3 for Noob) which if hit, gets them to stand for like 12 frames, so you can hit them with a high, but they can still block it, despite you have frame advantage... This game has a weird thing where you can’t link attack into combos, even if you have the advantage. Every combo is through the pre-determined strings or juggles.

Sheeva looks fun, but I don’t know much about her to be honest. Just that her teleport stomp is strong (much like Honda’s butt slam).

Jacqui is fun. She’s probably the best character in the game and has good speed and mobility. She is typically more of a rushdown/pressure character.

2 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Ok, so I'm thinking of either playing Kollector, Noob, or Sheeva. Jacqui looks kinda cool too.

Mind you this is totally by looks and what I could tell by their trailers. 

Should I avoid any of these purely based on me never playing MK before? 

As Mattatsu said those chars are a decent spread. So far as I know there are high and low tiers in this game but it is a little more compressed and so long as you aren't playing any of the characters in the basement you should be fine, especially for where we are at. The only char I know is hurting for sure is Shao Khan due to the continuing efforts of @EvilCanadianto right the wrongs.

I came to the game the same way you are and honestly I'd just say pick a character you think is neat and go with it to start. Sort of shitty advice but MK is different enough from other 2D games that there is a certain amount of core learning that needs to happen regardless of character, and you may not really appreciate differences between them until you get some time in. Not that it would take a lot of time.

1) Damn the shade they throw in that intro dialogue. "Reptile and Ermac aren't coming back, enjoy Rambo folks!"

2) With that quote attached to the vid I'm deeply disappointed he doesn't whip out a purple motorcycle at any point during the match.

3) Yeah that fatality is kinda goofy. But there are only so many ideas you can throw out there. I honestly prefer the goofy ones over the ones that are a little too grim.

10 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Yeah that fatality is kinda goofy. But there are only so many ideas you can throw out there. I honestly prefer the goofy ones over the ones that are a little too grim.

Oh for sure. I think fatalities are just weird nowadays. Back in the classic arcade games, none of them seemed gross because of the graphics, so they were all pretty funny and felt very cool to do... I think fatalities are just weird nowadays. Back in the classic arcade games, none of them seemed gross because of the graphics, so they were all pretty funny and felt very cool to do... Mind you, I was also 10 years old at a time.

this fatality is pretty grim and overly gory to; they just added an eye popping sound effect, and then put the two eyeballs in a water bubble to try and add humour to something pretty dark, so it comes off as gory but then mildly goofy (but not in a funny way), If that makes sense.

Anyways it’s not like I really do fatalities anyway so the magic is lost on me to begin with. Rain does look cool though and he Was one of my favourite characters in the trilogy game so I’m happy he’s back and he looks like he has a lot of the same moves plus a lot of new cool ones. Actually he seems like he would have some awesome custom variations, hopefully the tournament ones don’t suck too much lol

Edited by Mattatsu
13 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Oh for sure. I think fatalities are just weird nowadays. Back in the classic arcade games, none of them seemed gross because of the graphics, so they were all pretty funny and felt very cool to do... I think fatalities are just weird nowadays. Back in the classic arcade games, none of them seemed gross because of the graphics, so they were all pretty funny and felt very cool to do... Mind you, I was also 10 years old at a time.

I think the medium definitely made it different. There was only so much they could do with those sprites so even if they had a really grim idea - Kung Lao's "split" fatality in MK2 - it was only ever going to be so visceral.

I'm not some pearl-clutching-teetotaler either. I'm down for some dark shit. But as I get older I'm less excited about the prospect of grim, malicious murder in my dumb fightgames.

Also, biggest offender: it adds even more "sit here and watch" to a game that is already lousy with it. After a match where you may have had to sit through two Fatal Blow animations, however many throw animations, and the intro/outros/between rounds, sitting through another 15-20 second movie just to see someone's idea of a creative way to ice a motherfucker is the last thing I want to do. Just get me back in the game!

Just now, Darc_Requiem said:

@GetTheTablesBut that aquatic kienzan (destructi disc) though....👀

As an old Krillin fan, I'm all for more destructo disc acton wherever I can get it. 

But it would have been fine to slice them up, *bam*, done. Don't need to powerwash a motherfucker to super-death then put their eyeballs in a water globe because "hey guys I'm the water ninja did you see all my water I like water".

2 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

But MK11's fatalities aren't even dark; they're just gross. The characters don't actually die, there's a silly win pose after, and nothing changes. 

Having to watch what is essentially footage of a surgery is edge for the sake of it. 

Agreed. Its missing the spirit of the old games - hey guys look at this dumb thing, just try to count all the ribcages. The Brutalities kinda sorta get back there and are mercifully shorter.

I want them to punch all the way through the ceiling in this new paradigm come MK12 and have someone have a fatality Cask of Amontillado style where they slowly wall the opponent up in a cell and wait for them to starve to death. It takes so long you have to tap directions during it just so you don't DC due a stale connection.

@KingTubbso since MK11 came last night, you may remember my talk the other day about the variations. Here’s a bit of an FYI...

The game is based around custom variations for casual modes (single player modes, casual online matches, matches with friends, etc). You can make up to 5 different variations per character, each with different moves and looks. You have three points for special moves, and each of the selectable special moves take up a different amount of points, based on their strength.

There are also three tournament variations which are to be used in tournament/competitive modes, such as Kombat League, Ranked, or online matches where you enable the Kompetive Mode option.

you will notice three variations for each character when you first boot up the game. These are NOT the tournament variations. They are random, custom ones NRS shipped the game with (for some stupid reason). The issue with this is that if you lab these three default variations, and go into kombat league, or play in a lobby with kompetitive mode on, you won’t be able to access these variations.

Now, you can access them in training mode through the menu (the tournament variations are labelled like T1, T2, etc), but otherwise you can’t access them in other, non-kompetitive modes.

what I like to do, just for peace of mind, is replace these three default variations with the three tournament variations, so they’re easily accessible in any mode, and then you still have two slots left for custom variations (which I’ve never needed more than one).

an easy way to do this, is to go to the character customize section and open the first variation. Go to the abilities tab and press the preset button (I think it’s square). You’ll see a few presets - three of which have crown emblems on them, and these are the three tournament variations. Remember the name of the top one (the first tournament variation) and pick it. It will change your moves to reflect that variation. I also like to rename this variation from the default name to the name of the tournament variation (as seen in the preset menu), so it makes it all less confusing. Then repeat for the next two variations. This is tedious... It took me about an hour to do this for every character in the game (because I’m OCD with it), but if you just want to do it for Kollector, or whoever, that’s fine. Just remember who you didn’t do this for.

Now, just to let you know. I mostly play tournament variations, but since I’ve done this, you and I can play in a lobby without kompetitive mode being active and I can still access my tournament variations and you can access whatever variations you setup (ie, the default ones, custom ones, etc).

Finally, feel free to play whatever you want. I don’t care if you play a custom variation or whatever. Just have fun.... I just wanted to let you know about this stuff because it is confusing.

Edit to add: regarding cosmetics, there is an option somewhere to randomize kompetitive mode gear. This will make it so you have access to everything for your character (even stuff that’s locked), but the game will randomly pick it for you. If you see something you like, out of the limited options available, and you’d rather stick to that, select them for your preferred variation and from the character customization area where you can see all your variations, highlight it, and press the PS touchpad button to make it your default. This will allow you to use this look in Kompetitive modes... Another dumb feature is all variations in kompetitive mode share your default look (if the randomize option is off). You cannot have a different look for each varition.

Edited by Mattatsu

@Mattatsu

hit the woah freaking out GIF

You sorta filled me in on this nonsense earlier this week, but I'd of gotten frustrated and played THPS instead if you hadn't done this. Many thanks🙏

But I wanna play tournament variations. I don't want to jump online and have to deal with 12 year olds that have some bullshit OP variation that also hop on the mic and call me a bunch of slurs. Gonna keep it clean.

Plus all the time and decisions I'd have to make to make the custom variation that I'd want is just gonna fatigue me and I'd spend all my time trying to get the cheapest, most asshole character, and I don't need that in my life 

Also, definitely do the tutorials in this game. For the basics, and advanced stuff (they are actually really good), and the tutorials for you character, at least.

you may need to edit the controls. I like the default buttons, but there are like 6 additional options outside of that. I turn negative edge off for sure, but I’ll get back to you later with my other selections (I don’t remember what they are).

2 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I don't want to jump online and have to deal with 12 year olds that have some bullshit OP variation that also hop on the mic and call me a bunch of slurs.

Thanks for reminding me... there is no way to mute the mic in-game, but if you set up a PS4 party, even if you don’t invite anyone, and the option to prioritize game audio is selected (which I think is default), it will mute the mics.

you also want to make sure that shortcuts are on in the controls menu... This allow you to use macros so you don’t need all 8 buttons.

Quick run through of notation with default controls:

- 1 = square

- 2 = triangle

- 3 = X

- 4 = circle

shortcuts:

- 1 + 3 = throw

- 1 + 2 = amplify/interactable

- 3 + 4 = stance switch

- 3 + 4 + Block = fatal blow

shortcut notes:

- some special moves (Sindel’s low projectile comes to mind) have to amplified at the same time you do the command, so if the special uses 1 or 2, you can’t do the shortcut to amplify it, so you will need to hit R1

- also, to armor stage interactables, I find it easier to do R1 + R2

Edited by Mattatsu
3 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Quick run through of notation with default controls:

- 1 = square

- 2 = triangle

- 3 = X

- 4 = circle

Nice, they run the tekken notation. I'll probably stick with that. I also try to keep defaults as much as possible, cause I'm the guy at locals that changes his buttons, wangs it real bad, then has to fix it after button checks, rinses and repeats.

Started running defaults after all the embarrassments 

The fact that the game doesn't start you with the tournament variations is still such a messy decision IMO. It doesn't service anyone: the people that want to play competitive need to jump through a couple extra hoops to get the char set up, and the people who play full customs are just going to change it all anyways. So why now just default 1-3 (now, was 2) to the tournament pre-sets? Maybe in Ultimate. Not a big deal just a goofy thing.

@KingTubbNot sure how much of "watch a video of the game" guy you are but:

His vids are very good and helpful. The character breakdowns are exhaustive. With all the variations honestly at a certain point my eyes glaze over but I've learned to just only focus on the parts I'm currently concerned about learning and I can just fire it up again later.

Sajam also has some really good tutorials for the core mechanics/flow of the game though you'd need to dig out the internet shovel for those I think. His MK11 stuff is probably back from when the game first dropped or so.

One thing I’ll add is there are a multitude of different wakeup options in this game (which is honestly something I’d like then to nerf), but in the meantime, Tubb, just think of using U+3 for an invincible, grounded wakeup attack, and F+3+4 for forward wakeup rolls (real helpful to get out of a corner, but you can be grabbed out of them)

Edited by Mattatsu