Stage Select

The NRS Thread

2 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

Sub Zero can literally ice slide out of the way. 

Every character in the game can backdash it. If Sheeva delays, just backdash twice. 

It's not as reliable, but you can also just D2 it. Or use whatever upper your character has. 

It's really not hard to punish once you understand the timing. 

It seems you're the one who doesn't understand. If you slide she can just do it again infinitely if you're behind in life. And no, not every character can backdash it. But by all means, maybe you know more than arguably the best Sub in the world:

14 minutes ago, Volta said:

It seems you're the one who doesn't understand. If you slide she can just do it again infinitely if you're behind in life. And no, not every character can backdash it. But by all means, maybe you know more than arguably the best Sub in the world:

So you're gonna post this video talking about how hard it is for Sub to avoid this move, and the very first time he has to deal with it he casually walks forward and avoids the stomp for a full punish. Nice dude. 

If this dude is "one of the best Sub Zeroes" in the entire world, I can't imagine how insufferable other top MK players must be because good lord all this guy does is bitch and moan. Dude started crying as soon as he saw someone pick a character he didn't like, then proceeded to get salty when he realized she wasn't playing exactly like he wanted. Top player material bro. 🤣🤣

I don't know what your argument here is dude. Every character can backdash this move. At the least you can apply some form of counter play. It's not insurmountable. Otherwise I'd be breezing through ranked with nothing but that move. If you wanna argue whether or not it needs to be adjusted, that's something else entirely. 

Edited by M A R T I A N

I main Sub Zero and I don't have issues forward and back dashing away from Sheeva's teleport. You need good timing to make it work. You can't start dashing as soon as she's in the air. You will get bopped. You also got to keep in mind Sheeva can delay it and redirect it with the EX version.  

Edited by Hawkingbird

Just so we don't have to deal with his inevitable clapback post: here's me literally dodging each stomp with backdash AND slide. It's not even the good slide either. 

The biggest issue is when she delays it, but even that has a learning curve. I don't see what's helpful about pretending the move has 0 counterplay. 

Edited by M A R T I A N
15 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

So you're gonna post this video talking about how hard it is for Sub to avoid this move, and the very first time he has to deal with it he casually walks forward and avoids the stomp for a full punish. Nice dude. 

If this dude is "one of the best Sub Zeroes" in the entire world, I can't imagine how insufferable other top MK players must be because good lord all this guy does is bitch and moan. Dude started crying as soon as he saw someone pick a character he didn't like, then proceeded to get salty when he realized she wasn't playing exactly like he wanted. Top player material bro. 🤣🤣

I don't know what your argument here is dude. Every character can backdash this move. At the least you can apply some form of counter play. It's not insurmountable. Otherwise I'd be breezing through ranked with nothing but that move. If you wanna argue whether or not it needs to be adjusted, that's something else entirely. 

Did you watch the full video? Have you seen how many times he gets caught trying to walk or dash out of the way? I didn't say it never works, I said it doesn't work reliably. My argument is that if someone like him can't do it consistently, it can't be done consistently.

You didn't even know about this guy's existence a couple of minutes ago and now you suddenly know enough about him to deduct he's not a top player based on his whining? What does him complaining have to do with his skill level? 

We're not talking about whether the move is too strong in every matchup, let alone  'insurmountable'. My point was that some characters can't reliably backdash it. You keep insisting that they can, and you're wrong.

You can definitely reliably and consistently counter it. Just because it's hard doesn't mean it's not possible.

I never said he wasn't a top player, just that he has the attitude of a whiny bitchmade scrub. 

We can sit here all day pointing out all the times he did or didn't avoid the move in the video. Point is, you opened with the statement that Sub Zero literally can't do anything but one move to avoid it. You are wrong. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Not much more I can do for you other than post literal video evidence of me performing the maneuver. 

Edited by M A R T I A N
10 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

What I saw in that video is dude got caught in the stomp the yard vortex and couldn't keep his composure. It remind me of 3S Alex who had a similar strategy with his stomps. It was also a scrub killer. 

Yup, dude spent so much energy being tilted over some dumb shit when he could just remain calm and keep punishing it. He was literally throwing ice trap and punishing stomp with a full combo. 

But you know, Sub is defenseless and can't backdash, slide, ice trap, or anything. He's a wet paper napkin once Sheeva comes on screen. 10-0 matchup bro 

48 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

You can definitely reliably and consistently counter it. Just because it's hard doesn't mean it's not possible.

I never said he wasn't a top player, just that he has the attitude of a whiny bitchmade scrub. 

We can sit here all day pointing out all the times he did or didn't avoid the move in the video. Point is, you opened with the statement that Sub Zero literally can't do anything but one move to avoid it. You are wrong. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Not much more I can do for you other than post literal video evidence of me performing the maneuver. 

If a move, the backdash in this case, fails more often than not, I do not consider that a reliable counter. Nobody said that it NEVER works. But good on you, must be nice knowing more than the top players. I bet you make it to Elder God rank every season as well, huh?

1 minute ago, M A R T I A N said:

Yeah, making stupid hyperbolic straw man arguments that I never made is a surefire way to get me to just ignore your dumbass. 🤣

Are you retarded? You literally said the top player doesn't know what he's doing, holy shit you're stupid. Have fun plugging away in the Kombatant rank while pretending on here that you know what you're talking about.

10 minutes ago, Volta said:

Are you retarded? You literally said the top player doesn't know what he's doing, holy shit you're stupid. Have fun plugging away in the Kombatant rank while pretending on here that you know what you're talking about.

He didn't. Dude got tilted and did a bunch of shit he shouldn't have. He figured out what to do once he stopped being a little bitch about it. 

1 hour ago, M A R T I A N said:

Damn, my post must have been so retarded that he stroked out on his keyboard and couldn't even follow up. Crazy stuff amirite. 

Christ, lol. Anyway, anybody feel like playing today? 

He says you can't reliably backdash it, you say you can; since the two are diametrically opposed, he must not know what he's talking about. I think I will go with the opinion of a top player over that of some random scrub. Weren't you the guy who couldn't even get out of Silver in SFV? Unless you're much better at MK11, why should I - or anyone else for that matter - even consider your baseless opinion?

12 minutes ago, Volta said:

He says you can't reliably backdash it, you say you can; since the two are diametrically opposed, he must not know what he's talking about. I think I will go with the opinion of a top player over that of some random scrub. Weren't you the guy who couldn't even get out of Silver in SFV? Unless you're much better at MK11, why should I - or anyone else for that matter - even consider your baseless opinion?

Did you not watch the video Martian posted above of him reliably backdashing this fucking thing? Holy shit guys, let it go.

Edited by Mattatsu
2 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Did you not watch the video of him reliably backdashing this fucking thing? Holy shit guys, let it go.

It's not that simple, in an actual match the stomp can be delayed, redirected and mixed up with the floor stomp which has a similar animation on startup. You can't compare that to a recorded training dummy that only does the regular, tracking stomp. Sure, if you time it perfectly you can dodge it, but that was never the point of contention; the point was that the failure rate of backdashing is way too high even for a high-level player in order for it to be considered a reliable counter.

11 minutes ago, Volta said:

It's not that simple, in an actual match the stomp can be delayed, redirected and mixed up with the floor stomp which has a similar animation on startup. You can't compare that to a recorded training dummy that only does the regular, tracking stomp. Sure, if you time it perfectly you can dodge it, but that was never the point of contention; the point was that the failure rate of backdashing is way too high even for a high-level player in order for it to be considered a reliable counter.

I’ll have to take your word for it. The clip you posted seemed like the Sub-Zero dealt with just fine, except when it happened on his wakeup (which he never varied from what i saw, and i don't think i saw him successfully dash right as he woke up either). When i played Tubb the other day, i realized i could just walk backwards with Kitana and punish it. I’d venture to say when he did it in neutral (when i wasn’t already committed to a move or jump), i punished it like 80-90% of the time once i realized that, until Tubb just straight up stopped doing it in neutral.

7 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I’ll have to take your word for it. The clip you posted seemed like the Sub-Zero dealt with just fine, except when it happened on his wakeup (which he never varied from what i saw, and i don't think i saw him successfully dash right as he woke up either). When i played Tubb the other day, i realized i could just walk backwards with Kitana and punish it. I’d venture to say when he did it in neutral (when i wasn’t already committed to a move or jump), i punished it like 80-90% of the time once i realized that, until Tubb just straight up stopped doing it in neutral.

Walking back works with some characters, but Sub is too slow. Sikander countered it mostly with Arctic Trap, but it sucks to have to switch to a variation you're not familiar with just because of one move. Also, the skill gap between him and those guys he played is huge, yet they're able to take the occasional round off of him only because of the stomp. 

I'm not defending Sikander here by the way, the guy has a scrub mentality, which is especially disappointing considering he's one of the best players around. 

1 hour ago, M A R T I A N said:

I'm trying out some new characters. 

I’m having a hard time with this... I’m so pumped to retry everyone with custom variations but i’m also expecting the balance patch for this update to be massive, so i feel like just waiting.

I think i’m likely going to change off Kitana though. My best custom with her involves the Mileena stance, but for whatever stupid reason, i feel wrong using it now that she’ll be in the game. I have another custom that’s okay, but is only slightly better than Fan-Fare and i’m sure will be very weak against many of the other customs.

2 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I’m having a hard time with this... I’m so pumped to retry everyone with custom variations but i’m also expecting the balance patch for this update to be massive, so i feel like just waiting.

I think i’m likely going to change off Kitana though. My best custom with her involves the Mileena stance, but for whatever stupid reason, i feel wrong using it now that she’ll be in the game. I have another custom that’s okay, but is only slightly better than Fan-Fare and i’m sure will be very weak against many of the other customs.

Yeah. I don't know if I've ever really played MK11 enough to have someone I can indefinitely call my "main". I always played Ermac and Reptile and they were no shows this time. 😞

I really enjoy Kung Lao, Jade and Sheeva tho. I think I really wanna learn Spawn, Rain or Shang Tsung. 

But yeah, everything is gonna get shaken up pretty soon here so who knows. I might find something I really like on a totally unexpected character. I might just finally meld with the MK hiveminde and pick up Scorpion. 🤷🏾‍♂️

10 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

I might find something I really like on a totally unexpected character.

Yeah, this is what i’m looking forward too. I’m going to give everyone a try. Its a while new game.

i do hope they have a way where you can try different abilities from training or something though. Having to go back to the customization menu to change to new abilities is tedious af.

3 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Yeah, this is what i’m looking forward too. I’m going to give everyone a try. Its a while new game.

i do hope they have a way where you can try different abilities from training or something though. Having to go back to the customization menu to change to new abilities is tedious af.

Can’t you switch variations in training mode somewhere in the options? 

19 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Can’t you switch variations in training mode somewhere in the options? 

You can, but you can’t change the abilities of those variations in training mode. I kinda screwed myself by replacing the three default variations with all of the three tournament variations, so now i only have two slots left to have customs with...... i typed a whole bunch and then realized these three tournament variations don’t matter anymore, and I’m free to do whatever the fuck i want, lol. #Feelsgoodman

15 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

i punished it like 80-90% of the time once i realized that, until Tubb just straight up stopped doing it in neutral.

Exactly. The move is super minus and pretty easy to avoid. You can meaty it, which makes the timing tight, but if you don't panic and start mashing like this dude did, you can get out of it and probably get a full punish. Not saying the sub player isn't good, but I think he was trying to manufacture salt for his audience. Dude seems like a toxic waste dump regardless of how good he is. 

Man you gotta be next level stupid to think being bad at SFV means you're bad at fighting games in general. I totally glossed over that part of the post, that's adorable. 🤣

Also, Mileena looking like a snacc. I didn't watch her gameplay trailer until now. I love that she's back to being more of a feral monster that just revels in the suffering of others. 

Glad that dumbass design from MKX is gone. I was hype about Rain initially but I might just have to play dentata waifu. 

16 hours ago, M A R T I A N said:

Yeah. I don't know if I've ever really played MK11 enough to have someone I can indefinitely call my "main". I always played Ermac and Reptile and they were no shows this time. 😞

Play Shang. His Soul Eater variation uses moves from both of them. 

It's cool that the custom variations are going to be tourney legal, but I wonder how theyll handle it at majors. 

Edited by DoctaMario

Lol, I’m going to be playing with customs for a while. I remember when the weekend beta was out, it took me like the whole weekend to really nail down how I wanted Jade to be.

I’m not going to do this with everyone though, just my top 5 characters I’d like to play or so. The rest will just be whatever seems to be the popular choices, as that’ll make it easier to lab against them too.

Edited by Mattatsu
4 hours ago, M A R T I A N said:

Man you gotta be next level stupid to think being bad at SFV means you're bad at fighting games in general. I totally glossed over that part of the post, that's adorable. 🤣

Also, Mileena looking like a snacc. I didn't watch her gameplay trailer until now. I love that she's back to being more of a feral monster that just revels in the suffering of others. 

Glad that dumbass design from MKX is gone. I was hype about Rain initially but I might just have to play dentata waifu. 

Funny enough I’m probably the opposite. Had 0 interest in Rain but after watching the trailer he seems really cool. I still like Mileena and dig the look but her trailer seemed a bit bland. 

Both have been overshadowed by custom variations for me tho. Kitana is my favorite MK character and now I might actually enjoy using her. 

5 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Meh, in my experience the people who are the most interested in being competitive play on console. It varies from game to game but for modern AAA budget fighters, console still seems to be the platform of choice from what I can tell. 

I'm well aware console generally has more players for FGs.   I just prefer to play on PC whenever possible because console performance is usually terrible.  My PCs run the games better and load them much faster than my XBO-X and PS4.

I usually end up buying fighting games for multiple platforms but play on PC when I have the choice.

4 hours ago, misterBee said:

load them much faster than my XBO-X and PS4.

Question!🙋‍♀️

I always thought that for online play, you have to wait for the other player to load everything too, so you can have a mega rig with an SD drive, super-mega baseball graphics card, and a wiener sucking vacuum and donut robot, but if the other guy is running the game on a Toaster, you're gonna have to wait. 

When I played fall guys at my friends place who has a top shelf rig, the time to load into a match and load time between rounds was waaaaay longer than on PS4. He said it was being people playing on shitty hardware was chugging along and we were waiting for them. 

Was he talking out of his ass? 

7 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Question!🙋‍♀️

I always thought that for online play, you have to wait for the other player to load everything too, so you can have a mega rig with an SD drive, super-mega baseball graphics card, and a wiener sucking vacuum and donut robot, but if the other guy is running the game on a Toaster, you're gonna have to wait. 

When I played fall guys at my friends place who has a top shelf rig, the time to load into a match and load time between rounds was waaaaay longer than on PS4. He said it was being people playing on shitty hardware was chugging along and we were waiting for them. 

Was he talking out of his ass? 

Depends on the game. 

SFV for instance, loads way faster on PC, so when you play with PS4 niggas you can definitely notice yourself loading back into the Battle Lounge faster than they do. 

In something like MK11, everything loads so fast that I've never once run into that issue even with people who had sub-par hardware. 

Whereas, in something like Tekken, you can definitely tell when someone else isn't loading the game off an SSD. It will load substantially faster when both players have one, and substantially slower when one player does not. 

So I reinstalled 11 to mess around with some custom load outs. I know there will be a bunch of changes come patch time, so I didn’t dig super deep or anything. Still, I wanted to get an idea of how’d the characters I’m interested in would feel to me. Some thoughts.

Spoiler

Cetrion: Can’t see much changing. Geyser and Teleport seem too essential to her playstyle, but her other options are also just not that great. Auras don’t last long and don’t move with her, so it seems like something she can’t get much mileage on for a 2 block ability. Shattering Boulder and Earthquake are ok, but they can't compete with the first abilities I mentioned. I’d be more interested if Auras where better or they only took up one block so you could do a bit more with her. If I played her (I won’t) I’d probably try something like Shattering Boulder/Quake/Tele then try to rush down with her lol. 

Frost: This is one if the characters im having trouble pinning down what I’m going to use. Obviously the first thing I want to try is crown bomb setups with a real combo extender against nerfed wake ups, but Frost has a good variety of tools. She got two specials that can extend combos so she can go really damage heavy, a few fancy (but maybe not great lol) projectile options to zone, and my favorite move is the dive kick/slide. What I use on her will totally depend on how good bomb ends up being, but I feel like I have a plan b if that ends up too fair. 

Jade: Jade seems like one of those characters who won’t have many different variations being played. For myself personally I can’t seem myself ever not using air rangs and untameable strings. Besides that it seems like a choice between Delia’s Dance, Vault, and the low projectile. 

Kitana: Of the characters I care about the princess is definitely the most blessed with custom variations. She has a good amount of moves and a lot of them are good or at least useful. There is a lot I could say here, but I’ll keep it brief and say it feels like Kitana is finally in the game. Assuming I pick up the game she is the most likely to become my main. 

Kotal Khan: King jobber doesn’t benefit from customs as much as other characters because Ascension already dunked on his other variations. Customs on Kotal is basically Ascension with a real third ability like Jaguar or a totem. 

Sindel: I really did not care for Sindel before and I can’t say that has changed with custom variations. If you want to use her combo extender you got burn 2-3 slots, which leaves little room for her imo more interesting moves. Without the combo extender I just end up with a setup very similar/the same as her V3, and that’s not my cup of tea. 

Skarlet: Not my favorite character, but with customs on the way she is looking to have a lot of utility. Blood Port and Killer Klot together are enough for me to keep and eye on her.

Edited by Vhozite

I don't remember who suggested to use Shang Tsung with his ninja moveset but, thank you. I think this guy is definitely gonna be a mainstay for me after the patch. Being able to combo Ermac lift into Reptile slide is the coolest shit ever. And since you can equip those two moves individually you can still keep his soul steal special. 

So I'm probably gonna rock the Reptile Slide, Ermac lift, and Smoke parry. Then on top of that I can still steal the opponent's characters. 👌

10 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

I don't remember who suggested to use Shang Tsung with his ninja moveset but, thank you. I think this guy is definitely gonna be a mainstay for me after the patch. Being able to combo Ermac lift into Reptile slide is the coolest shit ever. And since you can equip those two moves individually you can still keep his soul steal special. 

So I'm probably gonna rock the Reptile Slide, Ermac lift, and Smoke parry. Then on top of that I can still steal the opponent's characters. 👌

You can equip those individually? I thought you got all 4 moves as one 3 slot ability.

Edited by Mattatsu
38 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

@Vhozite what abilities did you like for Kitana?

Basically anything with up fans lol, tho right now I’d say Up Fans/Highborn stance. Lift + up fans gives her real Kitana combos, so that ability is definitely a lock for me. Highborn feels a bit out of place, but I really like having the teleport in my back pocket. 

If I’m not using Highborn I’d probably go with something like Up fans/Ground War/Twist for the combos and overhead cheese. Of course there is the low fan/twist mix too but the princess already has at least 2 strings where the second hit is a low so adding low fan felt a bit redundant.  

Edit: Tbh I think all her abilities except Edenian Fade and Air Razor are good. Fade has potential but everything about it too slow to be useful. Air Razor isn’t terrible but it has alot of recovery. Even when you hit them in the feet the on block frames are pretty bad. 

Edited by Vhozite
21 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

You can choose to have every move on one set, at the cost of some of his inherent specials. Or you can equip each one individually for 1 slot, and keep a lot of his other moveset. Which is the way to go imo. 

That’s good to know! The ninja one was my favourite tournament variation from him, but saw little use for the Rain kick and hated giving up the soul steal. I may rock this as well, but am waiting until the update before I really play around with it.

@Vhozite i cant believe I'm just learning this, but Kitana’s B231, which is string that is like death of whiff, is special cancellable after the 3... you still have to input the 1, but if you cancel into ground wave or fans while 3 is active, it will cancel.

also, yeah, up fans are a must. Saw a YT video with up fan combos and finally hade some fun doing combos in this game. Right now i like up fans, ground war, and flutter. Flutter isn't amazing, but it can help against zoners. I like ground war a lot as a punisher, combo ender, and armor break

The update is live (though the new characters arent released yet)...

@Vhozite they nerfed up-fans. I could get a few different follow-ups off of it on Friday, but now i can just get a standing 1 and the timing and spacing is tight. I can only follow-up that standing 1 with ground fans or grounded square wave... and i get more damage with my BNB without up-fans. I don’t see any reason to use it now.

i think half-blood stance was nerfed too lol. They don't want kitana to be good.

edit; after F2 xx Up-fan (which seems to have the opponent the highest after a lift) i did connect with 21 once, but it seems real finicky

Edit2: it seems she still have monstrous up-fan corner combos. Also it seems like a lot of her buttons were buffed. I’ll shut up and wait for patch notes lol

Edited by Mattatsu