Stage Select

The Star Wars Thread: Where we discuss ALL of Star Wars

Meh, I frankly think we all agree they fucked up the sequel trilogy but her reasoning is not one I can support. 

Not to go down this rabbit hole again but killing the old cast off when done right I have no problem with. Heck I don't even have much of a problem with how they killed Luke and Han. The problems were the execution of things around those events and while that is hard to put into words I can't see outside of Rise of Skywalker how anyone can use the character deaths or Rey being a unknown girl as a reason the film trilogy is bad. 

The Han death situation is on Harrison Ford. It was the only way he'd comeback. The execution and well everything else was complete unredeemable shit show. It's a text book case of how NOT to hand off a franchise to a new generation of characters. Diminishing older characters to promote new ones almost never works and instantly turns a large part of your audience against the new characters. 

Rey is a Mary Sue. That's a hill I will die on. "But Anakin".....got his ass whooped and lost an arm in a fight where he had Obi Wan's help. Then got parts of his other arm both legs sliced off and nearly died from 3rd degree burns. Vader bopped Luke and cut off his hand. The worst thing to happen to Rey was getting snatched up of via the force by Snoke. She never had a heroes journey. Finn is the worst handled black character the history a franchise. They completed wasted Gwendolyn Christie's time. There was no plan. I don't blame the cast. They had the talent. They just had Adam Gase caliber leadership at the helm.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Visions is amazing. The Duel, Twins, Ninth Jedi and Lop and Ocho are my favorites. I definitely want to see follow ups for the latter two. Lop was an absolute heartbreaker.

I wanted to like the Elder but found it too boring. I liked the idea of T0-B1 moreso than the actual story. There's definitely a lot of potential of a force welding droid

7 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

Grogu is right. After observing merch at work, I'd say as high as 70% of merch is Mando now. Around 20% is classic Star Wars, the last 10% is about a mishmash of prequel and sequel trilogy content.

10% is being generous. Cara Dune sells more merch than the Sequel Trilogy and they pulled all of her shit because they are dumbasses.

17 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

10% is being generous. Cara Dune sells more merch than the Sequel Trilogy and they pulled all of her shit because they are dumbasses.

33 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

Most of their merch is baby yoda dolls 

No one buying Carla Dune shit 

Really, people aren't buying merchandise that's been pulled. Well I'll be damned. 🙄

9 hours ago, Wellman said:

There is both recency bias and the fact that while in no way perfect, The Mandolorian is really good and has something for most folk besides a consistent robot pal.

I do wonder however when they drop that Andor show, it should be next year but they haven't said much besides that one teaser.

Nah son, the merch for the sequel trilogy doesnt move at all, is pecially evident for those limmited run merch, where you see them avoiding doing stuff about it.

There was an interview where the ceo of one of the companies behind of those merch was being pestered by the interviewer about why they were making only OT and Mando stuff, saying shit like there is demand for the sequel chars and he rebutted with something along the lines of really, then why our hard facts numbers says otherwise, the stuff they released didn't sell and made them lose money, while the OT, Mando and even prequel stuff they released has sold all the time.

People can argue about the qualities of the movies all they want, but the reality is that the merch surrounding them doesn't move.

Wvn for the Force Awakens, and that one wasn't divisive like the last 2.

3 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

Where you are getting that their pulled merch? 

All Cara Dune merchandise was discontinued and future products were cancelled after Disney fired Gina Carano. Considering how much money Hasbro lost on Sequel Trilogy merchandise they weren't exactly thrilled with having to cancel merchandise that was selling. Cara Dune merchandise was a strong seller. It managed to appeal to old school fans and new fans. She was strong female character that was done well played by an actress that wasn't a waif. 

Side note: It also proved how companies shill ideas but don't believe in them. They literally fired a "strong independent woman" for an opinion. What a joke.

Edit: @Hecatomis dead on. Sequel Trilogy stuff doesn't sell. Companies like Hasbro had to bitch to Disney to be allowed to sell more OT and PT merchandise before Mandolorian hit. It's similar to the She-Ra situation. Think of whatever you want about the classic show, it actually sells merchandise. The new one didn't. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
8 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Force Awakens was divisive the vitriol just was as gross for it. The Last Jedi was in many was a resp9nse to the complaints about TFA.

And yea no one buys the PT Merch anymore, he'll it only kinda move when those movies where coming out. 

I know that FA had its detractors, but for all i know, it was way better received, even by those who considered derivative from the 1st OT movie, since it felt that there was potential for the franchise.

I feel that the vitrol around it just became worse retroactively after TLJ and TRoS came out, since it soured how people perceive it, even for those who liked it back in the day.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

I know that FA had its detractors, but for all i know, it was way better received, even by those who considered derivative from the 1st OT movie, since it felt that there was potential for the franchise.

I feel that the vitrol around it just became worse retroactively after TLJ and TRoS came out, since it soured how people perceive it, even for those who liked it back in the day.

It was TLJ. A lot of the Star Wars "hate" Youtube channels liked TFA. TLJ dropped and it was a wrap. TRoS was just the dingleberry on top of a shit sundae.

On 9/30/2021 at 10:57 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

It was TLJ. A lot of the Star Wars "hate" Youtube channels liked TFA. TLJ dropped and it was a wrap. TRoS was just the dingleberry on top of a shit sundae.

The ST is an exercise in managing expectations. If your fandom expected the same car with a new coat of paint and then you turn around and hand them a plane, the people that want to drive don't care. it's not a car. 

With SW Visions, are y'all dub or sub? It didn't occur to me to use the option till I got through "The Twins" and saw the Japanese cast listed first. 

As a note - "The Twins" is supposedly set after Rise of Skywalker. 

EDIT-

Going through each ep of Visions just reinforces that this is the format that What-If should have taken.

EDIT II - 

The Ninth Jedi was GOLD!

The subtleties throughout were awesome!

Edited by OPTIMUS124
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...