Stage Select

The Star Wars Thread: Where we discuss ALL of Star Wars


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I mentioned this on discord and I stand by it 

 

 

Like the original Captain Janeway actress, she was high caliber actress but the role wasn't for her. It was crazy when I saw her and Kate Mulgrew deliver the same lines.

 

 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

And THAT's fine. That's criticism. The shit Moses was getting that inspired Disney to tweet that stuff out was not that, if I'm getting the sequence of events right.

Exactly. Criticizing someone because of their existence is different from criticizing their performance. Disney just said "don't be a dick" and people take that as "The Triggering".

Link to comment
1 hour ago, axeman61 said:

This is literally the first few lines. She was getting hate, and they put out those statements. Unless the article is wrong, this isn't them deflecting criticism. It's them saying "fuck off" to racists plain and simple.

 

Bro, the great majority of the discussion around her character has not been about her race.

This is the textbook example of deflecting the discussion by reducing it to something that if it happened is in the very small minority of what is being talked online.

 

Is the same shit that happened with Ghost Buster 2016.

Or some idiots trying to say that people disliking amber on Invincible was because she was black, and not because the character was dislikable.

 

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Hecatom said:

 

Bro, the great majority of the discussion around her character has not been about her race.

This is the textbook example of deflecting the discussion by reducing it to something that if it happened is in the very small minority of what is being talked online.

 

Is the same shit that happened with Ghost Buster 2016.

Or some idiots trying to say that people disliking amber on Invincible was because she was black, and not because the character was dislikable.

 

I think there are people in this thread who don't think she's a fit for the role but not sliding racial epitaphs in her DMs. 

 

Attacking the actor for their existence is not the way to do it. 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

I think there are people in this thread who don't think she's a fit for the role but not sliding racial epitaphs in her DMs. 

 

Attacking the actor for their existence is not the way to do it. 

 

 

 

No shit.

The point that I am talking about that this is the classic text book example of shifting the discussion by focusing on small thing that happens, IF it happens.

 

Disney is specially egregious about this, but is not alone.

Is more easy to quell any negative discussion by framing/reducing it around any -ism or -phobia.

 

 

Link to comment
Posted (edited)

Sounds good saying ppl hate her because of acting until you see them receipts she posted, they're clearly attacking her due to race.

 

Then Disney saying "hey don't be racist" and somehow the racists felt attacked and victimized.

 

They'll always say it's due to acting ability to deflect, but somehow it's almost always seems to be a woman or minority that's  being "criticized" 🤷🏾‍♂️

Edited by HD-Man
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Hecatom said:

 

No shit.

The point that I am talking about that this is the classic text book example of shifting the discussion by focusing on small thing that happens, IF it happens.

 

Disney is specially egregious about this, but is not alone.

Is more easy to quell any negative discussion by framing/reducing it around any -ism or -phobia.

 

 

but, she has the receipts? This isn't the same thing this time. 

 

1 minute ago, HD-Man said:

Sounds good saying ppl hate her because of acting until you see them receipts she posted, they're clearly attacking her due to race.

 

Then Disney saying "hey don't be racist" and somehow the racists felt attacked and victimized.

 

They always say it's due to acting ability, but somehow it's almost always seems to be a woman or minority being attacked 🤷🏾‍♂️

Thank U Reaction GIF by The Office

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

 but somehow it's almost always seems to be a woman or minority that's  being "criticized" 🤷🏾‍♂️

 

 

Because it is convenient and easy to bring attention to it since is easy to use as a shield of criticism.

Case in point, prior her firing, Gina Carano received vicious comments on par than what Moses has received, but disney did shit because it wasnt convenient for them to bring light to said comments,

 

The same for Pedro Pascal.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Posted (edited)

Nah, we not finna do what-aboutisms, we callin these racists out, fam. There is no middle ground with this issue, she screenshotted the messages she received, there is no debate about if they were attacking her for her race or ability, it's clear as day.

 

Ppl just need to stop being racist assholes  and no mental gymnastics will get around that. No, I'm not saying you are racist, for clarification 

Edited by HD-Man
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Eat The Child GIF by Disney+

 

. . . but there are more laser swords and pew-pews . . . 

You are Obi Wan and....

Spoiler

you sense Darth Vader. What do you do?

A) Escape through the underground tunnel

B) Stand around like a dumb ass, stare out the window, and wait to see him.

 

If you answered A, you have the common sense Obi Wan lacks. Between that and him managing to slip up with "Leia's" name.  🙄

 

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Darc_Requiem said:

You are Obi Wan and....

  Hide contents

you sense Darth Vader. What do you do?

A) Escape through the underground tunnel

B) Stand around like a dumb ass, stare out the window, and wait to see him.

 

If you answered A, you have the common sense Obi Wan lacks. Between that and him managing to slip up with "Leia's" name.  🙄

 

What should have happened-

 

Spoiler
  1. Option A 
  2. Gets to the end of the tunnel and there was a divergent route. Leia and Tala go one way, Kenobi another.
  3. Kenobi gets to the end
  4. darth vader lightsaber GIF by Star Wars


 

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

What should have happened-

 

  Hide contents
  1. Option A 
  2. Gets to the end of the tunnel and there was a divergent route. Leia and Tala go one way, Kenobi another.
  3. Kenobi gets to the end
  4. darth vader lightsaber GIF by Star Wars

 

 

I wish you were writing the show. That spoilered quote  is better than anything they've come up with in 3 episodes.

Link to comment
4 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

She put it in her IG story. If I can't find them again I'll post (if someone doesn't do it first).

 

EDIT - 

 

Here are a few:

 

2022.05.31-05.11-boundingintocomics-6296

 

2022.05.31-05.11-boundingintocomics-6296

 

2022.05.31-05.11-boundingintocomics-6296

 

2022.05.31-05.11-boundingintocomics-6296

 

 There were others, but that's what I could find. 

I'm sure some of that is legit but considering how many bots exist on social media, how much is real vs fake makes me skeptical about how bad it is. I seriously doubt that it's as massive as she's projecting it. 

 

My concerns are how lopsided Lucasfilm and Disney are in protecting their stars if at all. 

Link to comment
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

I'm sure some of that is legit but considering how many bots exist on social media, how much is real vs fake makes me skeptical about how bad it is. I seriously doubt that it's as massive as she's projecting it. 

 

My concerns are how lopsided Lucasfilm and Disney are in protecting their stars if at all. 

You have that right to be skeptical, but at the end of the day Disney stated "don't be a dick" and those out here (regardless of scale) giving her the callsign "November Bravo" got triggered. Many of us, in the thread mind you, aren't really feeling her in the role. However, her race has nothing to do with the criticism of her acting chops; which is why it's not mentioned. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
Link to comment
Posted (edited)

These days you pretty much gotta walk out dressed like Hitler, with a black dude chained up, wearing a MAGA hat with a sign that says "I hate n****rs" to get ppl to actually acknowledge racism.

 

If it ain't ultra clear cut and dry they'll deny it. Hell, they'll deny it even then. They'll act like THEY are the victims and you're the great evil for pointing out their hatred of another race 😂

Edited by HD-Man
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

These days you pretty much gotta walk out dressed like Hitler, with a black dude chained up, wearing a MAGA hat with a sign that says "I hate n****rs" to get ppl to actually acknowledge racism.

 

If it ain't ultra clear cut and dry they'll deny it. Hell, they'll deny it even then. They'll act like THEY are the victims and you're the great evil for pointing out their hatred of another race 😂

Double post but again no one said that she wasn't experiencing racism. Bruv you read those comments Optimus screen shotted some are too vague to establish such beliefs. 

 

How is a statement "your days are numbered" racist? 🤔

Link to comment
45 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

We really gonna play this game inferno????.....I was talking to Chadouken in general about racism deniers, but you dived right in front of that bullet....you might might be a bit racist, or willfully ignorant atleast 

First I didn't know who you were replying to because I had my reply typed up so I thought you were in agreement with Chads stupid comment. Again joke or not I didn't like it. Also I'm not allowed to reply to your comments? 😐 

 

How am i the ignorant one here anyway? I asked a few questions and now you're accused me of stuff when you are jumping to conclusions. 

 

"it can ONLY be racism" that's you right now. 🙃

Link to comment
1 hour ago, TheInfernoman said:

@Chadouken the burden of proof (joke or not)  for that is on you. 🙄

I can't! SRK is shut down!

 

I'm just playing around, man. Conversations were had on that old website where you said something along the lines of systemic racism not existing. I don't remember the details exactly, but I'm also not accusing you of anything here. 

 

I don't believe anyone who posts here is racist at all.  We've all congregated at Megashock because we all like interacting with each other. Otherwise, why would any of us stick around? We're a mixed bag of folks who played fighting games and like Star Wars and videogames and shit. I'm not trying to stir the pot, just cooking your goose a bit is all. Sorry if you took offense, bud.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Genghis_Dong said:

They were prepared probably in part to how John Boyega and others were treated. 

 

You mean the same Boyega who said that his problem was with Disney and not the fans?

Lets not forget that it was  Disney who reduced his role.

Most fans wanted him to be the main character since Finn had the most potential.

 

Or how Kelly Marie Tran reason to left the internet was due the industry too, but that didnt stop the media to try to spin it as if it was due harassment.

 

We are talking about a multibillion dollar company with a lot to lose if the online conversation regarding the series is negative.

 

I dont put past them that they will engineer something to deflect criticism, since it wouldnt be the 1st time they have done it.

Link to comment
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

 

You mean the same Boyega who said that his problem was with Disney and not the fans?

Lets not forget that it was  Disney who reduced his role.

Most fans wanted him to be the main character since Finn had the most potential.

 

Or how Kelly Marie Tran reason to left the internet was due the industry too, but that didnt stop the media to try to spin it as if it was due harassment.

 

We are talking about a multibillion dollar company with a lot to lose if the online conversation regarding the series is negative.

 

I dont put past them that they will engineer something to deflect criticism, since it wouldnt be the 1st time they have done it.

In every situation you mentioned, both were true. Boyega had an issue with Disney with the role but also with toxic fans. 

 

Kelly Marie Tran left due to the vitriol spouted. The woman wrote an op-ed in the NY Times. I'm sure industry pressure may have been a part of it, but her words were about what was said to her online. 

 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/kelly-marie-tran-opens-up-leaving-toxic-social-media-i-wont-be-marginalized-1136301/

 

Link to the op-ed (behind a paywall) - 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/movies/kelly-marie-tran.html

 

 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
Link to comment

I think i may just be confused on what people's stance on this is.

 

What I know:
Disney warned her she'd get racist attacks.

She got racist and other attacks (be it about her acting etc)

 

Not sure what else is going on. Being honest here I have a feeling I'm not fully understanding the situation.

Link to comment
Posted (edited)

@Chadoukenthanks for clarifying. I think Pertho said it best when he mentioned there's a difference between systemic racism vs racism in the system and it can be hard to determine case by case what individual problems were a result of either or which resulted in me looking at it black and white. Either way that's way off topic to this thread now. @HD-Man

 

I don't mean to attack you bruv, I got heated off a joke that made me forget who I was talking to. Context and tone are still hard to convey online. 

Edited by TheInfernoman
Link to comment

Respect, I can respect that answer. All good

 

And I think Obi Wan is a good show even tho my lore knowledge is shit. Only thing I dislike is how Leia is mad annoying, I can't really spot all the plot holes that ppl who have watched Star Wars for years would 

 

And I can't stand Reva, but in her case, she's supposed to be hateable so she's doing her job IMO. I'm sure they'll go into her back story later and explain why she holds a grudge against Obi Wan

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

I actually forgive Kid Leia for being annoying because kids are...annoying and can be little know-it-alls

I'd be able to let it slide but she's supposed to be 10 and acts/looks like she's 6. The only thing they've gotten right is presenting a certain Sith Lord like he's Darth Voorhies of Crystal Lake. They nailed that at least. Besides that you gems like....

Spoiler

A character leaving a child on their own to fend for themselves to help a Jedi Master 👀

 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
  • Create New...
Stage Select