Stage Select

The Star Wars Thread: Where we discuss ALL of Star Wars

Something that I noticed with a certain appearance - 

Spoiler

Even though it credits James Earl Jones as the voice for Vader, I can guarantee it's not him that we hear. It's the same thing that was done for Mark Hamill as Luke in Mando Season 2.5. At the end of the credits, you see "Voice Conversion by Respeecher". This is that same tool used for Luke. Vader is honestly the perfect character to do something like this with. Fully suited, no lip reading, and can appear wherever you want. Next to Chewbacca, Vader is going to be an evergreen character. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124

I'm serious! I really, really like this show.

My favorite part from episode 3:

Spoiler

When Obi-Wan and Leia are hitching a ride with the stormtroopers on the back of that wagon and they're like, "If there's a Jedi here, we're going to find him." While looking directly at Obi-Wan.

I was so stoned when I saw that part I had to pause it I laughed so fucking hard 😂 Stormtroopers are morons. Glad they added that bit in.

And Vader is fucking TERRIFYING 😱 Dragging people around the town and snapping their necks and shit. And then that slow pursuit of Obi-Wan in the dark. Shit was INTENSE man!

I am a little worried that Obi-Wan is so weak with the Force after shutting himself off from it for 10 years- I hope Darth Vader doesn't kill him 😬 

Edited by Chadouken
18 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

My issue is how quickly this comment from the company came down... As if they were prepared for pushback on the show. 

With how Star Wars fans treat people who make Star Wars they don't like, it would be irresponsible of Disney to not be prepared. 

Star Wars fans are huge fucking bullies and it's time we stopped pretending they aren't. I have absolutely 0 problem believing they are harassing this woman over her role, they've done it to every single actor they haven't liked in SW. Jake Loyde got bullied unto therapy, Ahmed Best almost committed suicide over how he was treated due to Jar Jar. The things people say about the actors and directors of the PT get really dark and gross really fucking fast, same for the ST. 

SWs fans are huge assholes. Gotta stop doubting what massive shit heads these people can be. We've seen it multiple times for well over 20 years.  

If I where making Star Wars I'd have my deflector shields up and ready to go for my actors because SW fans are the fucking worst. 

Edited by RSG3

I can already see where this is going. I've seen it all before. This will distract from the substandard product that is being presented. Anybody dissatisfied with the show will be lumped in with the internet racists and trolls. I want to talk about Obi Wan not the racist trolls. Characters in the show are making brain dead decisions and you can't even talk about it. Given Disney's shenanigans I have hard time taking them seriously on this issue. They have less of a leg to stand on than Anakin after his battle with Obi Wan on Mustafar. 

Which is why  i have almost 0 doubts that this racist attacks were mostly staged.

We are talking about a multibillion dollar company with a lot to lose if the online discussion surrounding the product they were hyping up as the prime reason to subscribe to their streaming network is moistly negative.

They only needed to release this statement to shift the discussion into racism, and with the help of the media now they just need to keep poping articles about how fans suck, etc etc to keep the focus of the discussion online not be about what a subpar series is Kenobi so far.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Which is why  i have almost 0 doubts that this racist attacks were mostly staged.

I doubt it. People are quick to spout racist shit online because they can hide behind anonymity. I don't doubt the attacks my issue is the focus on them. It's not shocking. It the reality online. If you've gamed online you know full well people will say fucked up racist shit at the drop of hat. I'm tired of people using racist/sexist trolls as an excuse to stifle legitimate criticism. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem

It is why I said almost 😉
I know people say some dumb shit online, and using race, religion and sexual preference as means to attack someone is rather easy, hence you see trolls use them all the time.

But considering that is Disney we are talking about, i can see them doing this kind of stuff easily.

If smaller local companies in my country are willing to do this kind of shit, a company with too much to lose and with more reach to do it is not out of the table.

They are willing to buy reviews, to cook their books, inflate how much they earn in their parks, etc, etc.

Just look how the online discussion went from the quality of the series to racism.

The diversion worked.

Then add that is really easy to just lump a faceless collective in a negative light due the actions of some few bad actors.

We have seem it done all the time.

Some people do some fucked up shit, or at least allegedly do it, then you have people saying that all the people of said group be a fandom or community are like that.

Is fucking stupid.

But that is why is done in the first place, is easy to manipulate human emotions.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

It must suck for Favreu and Filoni to put so much effort on respecting the canon for the story group to come and just say fuck it, we don't care if it contradicts the canon, we will just do it.

There's stuff in there shows that do it to, people just don't care because:

1. It looks cooler
  2. Its cooler

I think the issue with staying with this period is that it's simply eroding parts of what makes the saga special. . . your imagination. From the OT, Vader may be the only character that was reintroduced in the filler years (between ROTS and ANH or ROTJ and TFA) that has consistently been done right. Part of that is how he's used in each of the stories. He's there more like a final boss and pulls the strings. This frankly is why I DO NOT WANT a Vader TV series. Given how things are, I am certain he is going to pop up in a ton more things if they are in the gap years, but make him a force in the story, not a more integrated participant.  

Edited by OPTIMUS124
8 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

This frankly is why I DO NOT WANT a Vader TV series. Given how things are, I am certain he is going to pop up in a ton more things if they are in the gap years, but make him a force in the story, not a more integrated participant.  

I definitely get your entire complaint and agree for the most part but the recent Vader comics (I say recent as in 2016-Now) are actually quite good. Kieron Gillen and Greg Pak have done an amazing job writing Vader and carving out their little section of the SW Universe.

The recent comics are much about Vader as they are Palpatine, Sith Lore, The Republic and so on. 

Edited by iStu X
10 hours ago, iStu X said:

Still only few people know. We don’t know how Third Sister knows. For all we know Vader doesn’t even know she knows. 

because in the new comics, certain groups are under the impression vader killed anakin. like theirs a whole group of amadala's doubles who are hunting vader because they didnt know they are the same person. so i was thrown off when she name dropped him like everyone knew this shit except obi wan

7 hours ago, Maxx said:

because in the new comics, certain groups are under the impression vader killed anakin. like theirs a whole group of amadala's doubles who are hunting vader because they didnt know they are the same person. so i was thrown off when she name dropped him like everyone knew this shit except obi wan

the amadalan’s basically put 2+2 together. Sorta. 

they came to the conclusion that Vader must have killed Anakin and Padme because the last place Padme went was Mustafar and they found out that Vader is “from” Mustafar. 

the public at large knows that the Jedi were hunted down and killed for being enemies of the state. The empire ran massive smear campaigns against every major Jedi general right after the war ended. But that doesn’t mean everyone in the Galaxy believes that fact. 

6 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

A new episode is out..

Why aren't you guys having your menstrual periods? 

I demand entertainment!

Calm down Palpatine...You don't see me demanding you talk about City Hunter again for the 1000th time 🙃

Seriously though...I have lost interest and read the leaked spoilers...and I think I'm done with this series. Will wait for the next SW series that will most likely be good instead (Bad Batch S2)

4 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

Calm down Palpatine...You don't see me demanding you talk about City Hunter again for the 1000th time 🙃

Seriously though...I have lost interest and read the leaked spoilers...and I think I'm done with this series. Will wait for the next SW series that will most likely be good instead (Bad Batch S2)

I lost interest too.

At least enough to watch it on Disney+.

I think that if anything, i will watch it skimming over it on PirateBay+, just so to see how bad it goes, like I did with the Halo show.

1 hour ago, TheInfernoman said:

I agree with you 100% man. Between work and sleep I have like 5 ish hours of free time a day and I'm in no rush to waste an hour of it on Obi Wan. Maybe if I'm bored, I'll check it out this weekend. Episode 3 of the show hit my limit for sheer stupidity. Obi Wan displayed the same level of intelligence as that dumbass that fucked with Tyson on the plane. This show makes the "Power Rangers" episode of Book of Boba Fett look like Citizen Kane.

Since I'm not a hypocrite, I will say something positive. 

Dark Forces 2 came out 25 years ago. It was one of only 3 or so PC games I ever owned We got our first PC in Jan 1997. 

I had briefly played DF 1 at a cousins cousin house circa 1995? . 

I really loved that you could get either dark side or light side powers depending on your actions. Force lightning force choke. for dark side. 

Healing and speed IIRC light side. 

It may seem cheesy to modern people but the full motion cutscenes we're pretty good looking. Jerec the blind Dark Jedi killingKyles dad in the prologue and the actors mannerisms were cool. 

The voice acting was pretty decent IIRC there was a zero gravity level when you're in the shop that was memorable.  

It was one of the few SW games I've ever owned and played. I used to get smoked on multiplayer but it was fun.  

The other SW games I played were my friends SNES Super SW/Empire/ROTJ.  

Jedi Knight was awesome for it's time, but going back and playing those giant levels again that don't tell you where to go or what to do is pretty taxing.  The expansion Mysteries of the Sith had some pretty bananas powers like saber throw and jedi foresight that were GANGSTER in Multiplayer.  Force Push was broken AF in a game with that many catwalks though, it was TOO GOOD.

1 hour ago, DangerousJ said:

You guys like shitting on something you claim to love. 

I don't like ALL parts of any fandom I participate in. Forgive me for not blindly adoring 1000% of Star Wars. 🙂

2 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

I hate Michael Bay tf but I don't complain about it as much as everyone on here .

I don't care if you did complain about it. That's on you. 😉

City Hunter is 100x better than Trump who lost! 

Hahah

I don't care? 🙃

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

DJ talking about City Hunter would be an empassioned speech on the brilliance of City Hunter. It would be a love letter. 

Star Wars fans just cry and whine about Star Wars while bullying the people who make it. 

See here is the common misconception. Just because someone is critical about aspects of a series doesn't mean that they hate all of it. You're allowed to express concerns and yes even complain. If I don't like a part of Star Wars I won't continue to engage in it. I didn't like Street Fighter 5 so I didn't play it. 

I hate bullies but I honestly don't believe that there's THAT many bullies in the fandom. You're only viewing the most vocal of people of social media vs the grand majority who don't talk about it 24/7. Reva is currently a bad character. Rose Tico was a bad character but never have I demanded that the actresses needed to go. I don't like the direction Disney Star Wars is going in but Mando proves there ARE some who care about making good Star Wars stories. 

My only want is for Kathleen Kennedy to go as she is at the top of leadership and under her Lucasfilm is shakey at best but I'm not going to threaten for her resignation. George Lucas made mistakes too but I never demanded he goes or I riot. 

I think some of you just need to let people complain for a bit and move on. Let peeps vent. If they don't stop then ignore them. People who complain about complainers are just as annoying 🙂

39 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

See here is the common misconception.

It's not a misconception. It's a broad general comment about how Star Wars fans behave as a whole. You can deny it all you like but we have 20 years of recorded behavior from the Star Wars community. Most of it is gross, disrespectful, and rude.  You're welcome to think it's not that many, just as I am welcome to think the majority of people I've interacted with involving Star Wars has been pretty repellant, from childhood summer camp on up to adulthood the bahivor I've seen out of Star Wars fans has been embarrassing.  You're assuming I'm talking about Social Media only when I'm talking about my entire life experience with Star Wars. Star Wars fans where like this before Social Media even existed. You're having to make huge assumptions about what I'm specifically talking about in order to make this rebuttle work. 

The actual misconception here is thinking I'm talking about normal people like yourself and some others in this thread when I am not. 

Tho if you think I am talking about you then maybe your need to reevaluate your behavior in this space, there would be no reason to think I'm talking about you unless you're doing the stuff I've specifically called out already. 

And I'm tired of ignoring people who do nothing but whine and cry. I'm over it. I'm talking shit back. I'm done ignoring bullies being shit heads to other people over a Fandom. I refuse to ignore it. 

It's one thing to let people vent or be critical. That happens in this thread all the time and people are fine with it. Like most of this conversations has nothing to do with this thread, it has to do with the wider fanbase at large. It's another thing to bitch and whine about almost everything and be shitty as fuck to the people who made the thing. 

Edited by RSG3

I hate Michael Bay tf but I don't complain about it as much as everyone on here .

Will Smith Yes GIF by Bad Boys For Life

The nuance is relevance. You won't hear me talk about "how The Last Knight destroyed my retinas" in 2022 is because it's old news. Unless there is something new, interesting, or thoughtful I can add to the conversation, I let it go.  Star Wars keeps making things and it not only drums up the conversation, but the social feed wallows in the muck and mire from the additional commentary. 

Note, you are allowed to dislike something because it doesn't fit your fancy. Now when it becomes a trope, you lose relevance. 

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I agree with you 100% man. Between work and sleep I have like 5 ish hours of free time a day and I'm in no rush to waste an hour of it on Obi Wan. Maybe if I'm bored, I'll check it out this weekend. Episode 3 of the show hit my limit for sheer stupidity. Obi Wan displayed the same level of intelligence as that dumbass that fucked with Tyson on the plane. This show makes the "Power Rangers" episode of Book of Boba Fett look like Citizen Kane.

Well, if it makes you feel better it's only 30 min this time 🤷‍♂️.

42 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

See here is the common misconception. Just because someone is critical about aspects of a series doesn't mean that they hate all of it. You're allowed to express concerns and yes even complain. If I don't like a part of Star Wars I won't continue to engage in it. I didn't like Street Fighter 5 so I didn't play it. 

I agree with this statement. You example is spot on for me as well. I poured hours into SF4 and spent next to no time playing the most recent title in comparison. Ultimately we get more of what we pay for. 

That show's story doesn't really need to exist. Honestly it was something for me to watch while at lunch in the house, but that's still time I won't get back. 

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Star Wars fans just cry and whine about Star Wars while bullying the people who make it. 

I think people take passion for fiction as enough reason to make someone's life a living hell. You don't own it, you just support the community built around it. 

18 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

It's not a misconception. It's a broad general comment about how Syar Wars fans behave as a whole. You can deny it all you like but we have 20 years of recorded behavior from the Star Wars community. Most of it is gross, disrespectful, and rude. 

I will say this is also true. People have gotten vile treatment for creating/producing a thing they didn't like. Passion is one thing; being an asshole is another. 

1 hour ago, J-ride said:

Kyle Katarn was also a pretty cool protagonist.  Imagine if Han Solo became a Jedi, that's how much swagger he had.

This is exactly why Finn was an easy setup to be the next protagonist. It was right there. 

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

DJ talking about City Hunter would be an empassioned speech on the brilliance of City Hunter. It would be a love letter. 

You gonna have me trying to stream that anime for reasons 🤣.

58 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

It's not a misconception. It's a broad general comment about how Star Wars fans behave as a whole. You can deny it all you like but we have 20 years of recorded behavior from the Star Wars community. Most of it is gross, disrespectful, and rude.  You're welcome to think it's not that many, just as I am welcome to think the majority of people I've interacted with involving Star Wars has been pretty repellant, from childhood summer camp on up to adulthood the bahivor I've seen out of Star Wars fans has been embarrassing.  You're assuming I'm talking about Social Media only when I'm talking about my entire life experience with Star Wars. Star Wars fans where like this before Social Media even existed. You're having to make huge assumptions about what I'm specifically talking about in order to make this rebuttle work. 

Hey, I'm a Star Wars fan and I don't whine and cry about it! I love the new Obi-Wan series. Episode 3 was the best Star Wars content I'd seen in a long fucking time. Like, since Empire Strikes Back. There are some of us who still enjoy the ride for exactly what it is.

22 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Episode 3 was the best Star Wars content I'd seen in a long fucking time. Like, since Empire Strikes Back. There are some of us who still enjoy the ride for exactly what it is.

That's OK too. The unfortunate reality is that people want to have their "thing" give them the same feelings as when they first experienced it. Unfortunately, it won't.