Stage Select

The Star Wars Thread: Where we discuss ALL of Star Wars

3 hours ago, Maxx said:

That happens even in the hood... His rep is too strong. Its like you arent even watching obi won. 

When I was watching Ep 3 all I could think about during the part where Vader arrives to hunt down Obi, is what if this was a black neighborhood? If it was, the locals wouldn't be hiding, they'd be runnin as if the cops came, and after a few niggaz got killed, Vader would appear all over social media and the leftist would be calling him a racist.

Remember that time Disney had a golden, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reunite Leia, Luke, Han, Lando, Chewie, R2, and 3PO after 35 years, to recapture some of the magic that made those original movies so amazing, one last time before handing the torch to a new generation, but instead they pulled an Amber Heard and remade A New Hope and called it The Force Awakens? Good times.

12 hours ago, GreyFoxx said:

Decent ending ep. Questions on a certain person but not bad. Also Rocks. Lot's of Rocks.

I thought it was a solid ep. I really think that this show could have been 1/2 to 1/3 of the runtime and been a movie on D+. 

10 hours ago, Maxx said:
  Hide contents

did vader fucking kick him?! lmfao. he can kick?!!

His rage gauge was at maximum. 

I just finished Obi Wan. 

Pros 

McGregors acting especially portraying as someone who has PTSD like symptoms and kinda turned away from the force at the beginning of the series.  

Flashbacks to Anakin.

Action scenes in ep 3/5/6 

Revas backstory/motivation 

Cons 

Unlike Mandalorian, this doesn't look as good or cinematic. Some scenes were too light and some were too dark imo. 

Revas get stabbed by a a lightsaber and can suddenly get to Tattaoine super fast and with minimal pain. I know revenge is a great motivator line but that's pushing it. 

Also Vader not definitively killing her reeks of lazy writing.  Also how did that other inquisitor guy survive?

Most of the side/incidental characters didn't really grab me except Tala. 

Overall: 6.5/10

26 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Naw she gets a pass on this one, she's summing up a NYT article. It's not her making that statement. It's the NYT that are making no sense here. 

I'm going to guess that a dictatorship would lack any kind of check on power and would ever establish justice department.  They need to stop making up bullshit.

Edit:  This article sounds like Stalin Apologetics where they reason in circles and try to convince you that Stalin wasn't a bad guy.

Edited by J-ride
10 minutes ago, J-ride said:

I'm going to guess that a dictatorship would lack any kind of check on power and would ever establish justice department.  They need to stop making up bullshit.

Edit:  This article sounds like Stalin Apologetics where they reason in circles and try to convince you that Stalin wasn't a bad guy.

Yea that's all it is. Like even if Palpatine operated like Putin and pretended to have those systems in place, like the rebels are gonna sit around and wait on a justice system to investigate the guy they work for. 

Pretty sure a lot of people these days forget Palpatine and the Empire are the Nazis. There is no argument in existence to excuse The Empire. 

On 7/1/2022 at 12:09 AM, iStu X said:

It’s not. Lucas has said he did that on purpose 

but don’t worry. Neck beards still think Star Wars isn’t political 

There is a big difference between being political and having politics as part of the themes.

That is what makes a big difference in how a a character inspired on person irl is received.

Take for example The Boys.

They have a character that was clearly inspired by AOC to some extent, but her role on the story goes beyond that, therfoire the character is well received, the same for the political themes that the series touches on.

15 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Yea that's all it is. Like even if Palpatine operated like Putin and pretended to have those systems in place, like the rebels are gonna sit around and wait on a justice system to investigate the guy they work for. 

Pretty sure a lot of people these days forget Palpatine and the Empire are the Nazis. There is no argument in existence to excuse The Empire. 

dumb question but how are the empire nazis? i know ive heard this referenced before....but they have aliens in higher end positions. so i never got the comparison.

On 7/1/2022 at 2:09 AM, iStu X said:

It’s not. Lucas has said he did that on purpose 

but don’t worry. Neck beards still think Star Wars isn’t political 

That's not entirely accurate. Shows like Star Trek and Star Wars have always been political. The difference is in the past any political themes were interwoven into the story. The current set of writers for these shows are basically Keenan Ivory Wayans yelling "Message!" in Don't Be A Menace To South Central While Drinking Your Juice In The Hood.

Side Note: Yes I remembered the entire title off the top of my head.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
5 hours ago, Maxx said:

dumb question but how are the empire nazis? i know ive heard this referenced before....but they have aliens in higher end positions. so i never got the comparison.

The imagery and part of how they behaved was inspired by Nazis according to Lucas.

But like you said, they are not an exact representation, since they, at least on the movies, don't seem to mirror the ideologies of purity of race.

They take elements of the Axis, like being actual fascist (not like the whatever definition that twatter has), where they control the population through fear, their uniforms take inspiration of what was used during WW2, and stuff like that.

TBH, is mostly superficial.

At least in the movies.

Dunno if on the now legends, extended universe other writers took the nazi inspiration more close to its rl counterpart.

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

That's not entirely accurate. Shows like Star Trek and Star Wars have always been political. The difference is in the past any political themes interwoven into the story. The current set of writers for these shows are basically Keenan Ivory Wayans yelling "Message!" in Don't Be A Menace To South Central While Drinking Your Juice In The Hood.

Side Note: Yes I remembered the entire title off the top of my head.

I think Midnight's Edge put it very well, with saying that while the works had political themes, they were for the most part, never partisan.

Yes, Star Trek proposed a world more progressive than what we had at the 60's, but it was never uninviting, to x or y side of the political spectrum.

The same for the 90's series, unlike the trash of Piccard, that for the sake of doing some political posturing, are willing to destroy the decades of characterization, of not only the characters, but the world, the logic on how it operated the world, etc.

24 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

I thought the First Order resembled Nazis even more so than the Empire.

Hide contents

images_13.jpeg

npr10-hits.jpg

lo51uy724h751.jpg

nuremberg_nazipartyrally10.jpg

Yeah, they are the ones that have made the parallels more obvious, but it is still mostly on the imagery.

They still don't mirror the ideologies as far as I know.

I've never seem any serious indication that Palpatine himself was anti-alien. He never seemed to be the kind of person to waste his time with that kind pettiness, or to deny himself an advantage for reasons that flimsy. Indeed, there are several examples of him employing or working with aliens, even granting them positions of great power, simply because they did their job well enough to override Imperial bias- see Mas Amedda or Grand Admiral Thrawn.

I think it's far more likely that he simply found it useful to exacerbate human-alien tensions to accrue and hold onto power for himself.

As a way to keep hold on the new empire.

Another example would be him being trained in the Sith ways. His master was an alien, The Sith themselves weren’t Human, and ultimately the Sith teachings weren’t exclusively limited to just the Sith themselves, but expanded to anyone who had deep ambition and succumbed to the power of the Dark side.

Palpatine just wanted power. It just so happened that some of those who happened to begin to reign in power and offered him their loyalty favored Human’s over alien species to be in charge. It also happened that a significant portion of the Empire’s military were Human clones, before the Stormtrooper Corp was founded.

Edit

Then add that humans are one of, if not the most far reaching and wide spread sentient race with most other species remaining almost entirely confined to their home planets.

Humans also seem to have colonized multiple worlds with places like Naboo for instance having the local Gungans driven into hiding prior to the events to Episode 1. Humans very likely as a whole would have a superiority complex given these factors (after all, the army of the Republic consisted entirely of humans for reason).

Then you have CIS which was primarily Xenos in nature with many aliens serving amongst their ranks which likely fueled hatreds further (note, droids are despised for similar reasons). This also suggests that Xenos may be a generally marginalized due to their vastly fewer numbers.

Taken all together, I personally think most humans probably look down on aliens and given how so many aliens were amongst the CIS, Palpatine felt it was the right move to use the hate as a force to hold his power.

Edited by Hecatom