Stage Select

The Star Wars Thread: Where we discuss ALL of Star Wars

Mandalorian

Spoiler

I am still mid the episode, but I have to say that I am pleasently surprised to see that Paz is not the typical adversary in the group to create drama, but instead an example of what their subset of Mandalorian culture, values and believes is, he can have disagreements, but also values them as allies and is willing to help them since they are valuable part of the group, and also values their sacrifices when helping him

Edit

Good episode so far.
I think that the season is managing to find its footing, hopefully it will start to bring more people, since apparently is doing as poorly as Andor did.

And TBH, I don't blame people for bailing out of Star Wars after Bobba Fet and Obibore Kenobi, but is sad that because of that the series that are actually trying to push Star Wars forward are suffering.

Edited by Hecatom
47 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Mandalorian

Hide contents

I am still mid the episode, but I have to say that I am pleasently surprised to see that Paz is not the typical adversary in the group to create drama, but instead an example of what their subset of Mandalorian culture, values and believes is, he can have disagreements, but also values them as allies and is willing to help them since they are valuable part of the group, and also values their sacrifices when helping him

Edit

Good episode so far.
I think that the season is managing to find its footing, hopefully it will start to bring more people, since apparently is doing as poorly as Andor did.

And TBH, I don't blame people for bailing out of Star Wars after Bobba Fet and Obibore Kenobi, but is sad that because of that the series that are actually trying to push Star Wars forward are suffering.

I think the big thing that has hurt the Mandalorian is that it WAS immune to fan division. That's no longer the case. Situation with Cara Dune has brought that to the show. Also having key narrative events happen outside the show, in Book of Boba Fett, has to have affected the audience that only watches the Mandalorian. Grogu being back has to be a WTF situation for them. 

Fatigues probably setting in as well, LucasFilm was just told they can only do SWs shit and it's like why? SWs has been a rough ride for you guys since jump, why limit to the thing that's rocky as fuck already? Star Wars isn't, and shouldn't be Marvel. It doesn't have 9 million plot threads to pull and adapt from while also being wide enough for us to spend time there without getting bored of seeing the same people over and over. 

It's fine for SWs to take a break. If anything it does the franchise some good more often then not. 

Edited by RSG3

It gets on my damn nerves how now years later people are hating on TFA for being unoriginal but when that movie first came out I was saying that and got shouted down while the fan base kept dick eating Disney. This same shit happened with BoBF and Obi-Wan obviously trash tier material but mfs lap it up all the way until the show ends the suddenly start hating. 

The overwhelming majority of stuff they’ve put out has been hot gahbage. The Mandalorian is also wayyy overrated. 

Edited by Vhozite

Leaving aside the bad acting from Lizzo, todays episode of Mando as acceptable.

Now, if you were to judge it from what it is being said online, you would think it is the point where Mando finally jumped the shark, lol.

It certainly has problems, this season over all, but the whole show has been this uneven since the start.

Although, this season has felt more like what people like to say, video gamy, specially this episode that felt like a forced "side quest" that blocks your main quest.

I am sure that there was a better way to create the scenario that flowed better.

@HecatomIt's had it's moments but writing has been pretty bad this season. There is a lot of things happening because plot needs it rather than organically. Then some stuff is just dumb.

Spoiler

The situation with Bo Katan in the Darksaber comes to mind. There is no reason she shouldn't have gotten in the episode where she saved Djin. He lost possession of it. She defeated the enemy that captured him with. She should have had it from that point on. But they didn't do it, because they needed manufactured drama. If Bo had the Saber already the last episode would have been shorter. She would have strolled up with it and her clan would have immediately yielded to her.

It seems like they are trying to throw something together because the initial plan got tossed out. Which is likely the the case. Some of the stuff that happened this season seems like would have happened in the scrapped Rangers of the Republic show. The Doctor Pershing episode comes to mind. The situation with pirates attacking Navarro too. 

I REALLY didn't want this show to begin falling off...BUUUUT IMO they're mashing too much together...and I'm sorry but as much as I like Bo Katan having unexpected growth this season, seems like Din is getting a backseat to the show that's named after him. If this falls apart, Disney REALLY needs to reevaluate Star Wars.

7 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

I REALLY didn't want this show to begin falling off...BUUUUT IMO they're mashing too much together...and I'm sorry but as much as I like Bo Katan having unexpected growth this season, seems like Din is getting a backseat to the show that's named after him. If this falls apart, Disney REALLY needs to reevaluate Star Wars.

Either way this needs to be done. Kathleen Kennedy has done her best Jerry Jones impression. Running a good thing into the ground because she wants credit. At least when Jerry Jones did it to the Cowboys in the 90s I enjoyed it. If he would have sat back and let Jimmy Johnson do his thing they would have had at least 6 Superbowls. Damn that would have sucked. I guess Favreau would be Jimmy Johnson in this scenario.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Either way this needs to be done. Kathleen Kennedy has done her best Jerry Jones impression. Running a good thing into the ground because she wants credit. At least when Jerry Jones did it to the Cowboys in the 90s I enjoyed it. If he would have sat back and let Jimmy Johnson do his thing they would have had at least 6 Superbowls. Damn that would have sucked. I guess Favreau would be Jimmy Johnson in this scenario.

Favreau and Filoni straight up told Disney they’d walk if KK didn’t stop interfering and fucking shit up for everyone. 

I like Daisey Ridley. She's a fine actress. From what I've seen, she seems pretty humble. Good for her. It seemed like her roles sort dried up after the sequel trilogy. I personally don't care about Rey or basically anyone in the trilogy at this point. That said, I'm glad she's getting her bag. I can't see Boyega ever coming back and not only do I not blame him, I wouldn't in his shoes either.  

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Hopefully we'll get Darth Krayt or the lost tribe of the sith in the next Daisy Ridley Star Wars films. Keep in mind that Thrawn is from the Star Wars Legends/EU lore. So, why not have some of the Sith from the Legends lore. If you guys read Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi then it might be possible.

EDIT: In the time stamped trailer below: is that Vestara Khai orTahiri Veila

Edited by Jion_Wansu
On 4/7/2023 at 8:40 PM, Hecatom said:

This is dead on the water, lmao

Nothing against Daisy, but Rey as a character is terrible

Agreed!! I don't see how they're going to redeem this character unless she makes a total reversal and becomes, flawed, vulnerable, relatable and well, basically a human.  Right now she's an anime OP goddess with a power level of over 9000 and no one can touch her. Hell i could be proven wrong and they could hit me for a complete 180 like they did with poor Luke Skywalker. 

18 minutes ago, Counterstrike said:

Now that's an interesting take on the whole Luke vs. Rey topic. How did you ever come up with that response after watching the movies??

In the EU Luke became so powerful he became the living embodiment of the light side of the force, was basically space Jesus and could move fucking black holes with the force without breaking a sweat.

Rey had some dumb plot armor that happened due to bad writing and creative meddling. 

Him and Rey are not the same. 😂

Edited by iStu X
25 minutes ago, Counterstrike said:

Now that's an interesting take on the whole Luke vs. Rey topic. How did you ever come up with that response after watching the movies??

I watched them, many times. I just don't ignore the goofiness of a 17 year old moister farmer out piloting military trained pilots because he bombed wombats in his T-16 back home, as if it's remotely the same thing. 

I don't ignore the flaws of the OT in order to shit on the PT and ST. That's how I came to that conclusion. 

I also read the Expanded Universe where mentioned above Luke becomes a Force God. The entire Skywalker Family are Gary Stus that people like to conveniently ignore in order to shit on Rey for the same silly bullshit. Like just telling Luke to use the Force counts as training or some shit. 

Funniest shit about Star Wars fans is how they don't realize their biggest issue with Star Wars isn't Rey, or writing quality (which has always been tepid at best, Alec Guiness thought the precious OT was terrible with the worst diologue hed ever had to suffer through) or any of that shit, it's The Force. Their biggest issue is The Force because it's a magic McGuffin that has always let the main characters do impossible made up on the spot shit as was convenient for the writer. Since Day 1. 

The second funniest is how they pretend they always like the Prequel Trilogy and totally didn't bully two of its actors into almost killing themselves over it. 

Edited by RSG3
25 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I watched them, many times. I just don't ignore a meister farmer out piloted military trained pilots because he bombed wombats in his T-16 back home, as if it's remotely the same thing. 

I don't ignore the flaws of the OT in order to shit on the PT and ST. That's how I came to that conclusion. 

Niceeeeeeee a fellow member of the OT !!

Force sensitive users even without formal Jedi training ,have innate abilities over the uninitiated. A good example was Anakin who used his abilities to Pod race, which put him on par with pro racers. Luke was already a good pilot so that in combination with his connection to the Force, would put him at a considerable advantage over the other Rebel pilots.

Your example refers to the pilot complaining their target was too small to hit even with a targeting computer, to which Luke replied, it would be no different from hitting womp rats. That's not a flaw, this is an example of Luke's skill that he honed on his home world. At least we got a little context here, that he was capable of accomplishing that feat, without relying the Force!!

Those two examples are more insight into Luke and why he is able to perform at these levels than we got with Rey ,who through her own sheer brilliance, resisted a Mental probe from a trained Sith, defeated said Sith in one on one combat, could fix virtually anything she encountered, pilot a ship she never saw before, mind trick a Stormtrooper, raise an avalanche of boulders with little to no effort and best Luke himself after a heated argument. 

26 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Don't forget about a 10-year-old accidentally infiltrating a droid command ship in a Naboo N-1 Starfighter, restarting his engines after overheating, killing a bunch of droids, doing critical damage to the command ship, thus destroying the shields on Naboo, and then managing to escape before the command ship exploded.

All without training shhhhhhhhhhhh. The Force is strong with this one!!!

22 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Don't forget about a 10-year-old accidentally infiltrating a droid command ship in a Naboo N-1 Starfighter, restarting his engines after overheating, killing a bunch of droids, doing critical damage to the command ship, thus destroying the shields on Naboo, and then managing to escape before the command ship exploded.

Bro right? But Reys so fucking OP and over the top right? 

19 minutes ago, Counterstrike said:

Those two examples are more insight into Luke and why he is able to perform at these levels than we got with Rey ,who through her own sheer brilliance, resisted a Mental probe from a trained Sith, defeated said Sith in one on one combat, could fix virtually anything she encountered, pilot a ship she never saw before, mind trick a Stormtrooper, raise an avalanche of boulders with little to no effort and best Luke himself after a heated argument. 

Those two examples are trash. Riding your goofy speeder is nothing like being in a dog fight.  It informs nothing more about Luke then Rey riding her Speeder Bike informed us. She can fix anything she's encountered because she's a scrapper, shes literally a fucking mechanic. He entire job is being e mechanic. How the fuck is Luke making an off hand comment about sniping desert rats under 0 pressure any kind of insight into him being a dog fight pilot, but Rey being a life long mechanic somehow isn't insight into her being able to fix an old as fuck rust bucket ship?  And yes the Falcon Is an old ass fucking rust bucket. Rey tears down Star Destoryers, you REALLY think she can't fix a 40 year old Corrillien YT-1300 Space Frigate? Fucking really? It's the equivalent of fixing a 1950s Ford. It has 5 moving parts and extremely well documented. Just stop. 

You make 0 sense and confirm my position that OT lovers will ignore flaws in the OT while shitting on the PT and ST for the exact same fucking flaws, or in this case, isn't even a flaw for Rey, it's a flaw for Luke. Luke is not a fucking military pilot. No amount of shooting desert rodents will train you for dog fighting combat. He doesnt even know the maneuvers dude, he's a fucking farm boy. He would get pulled up behind and waxed as soon as the fucking fight started is Star Wars was remotely realistic. 

But yea the Mechanic fixing shit is definitely the huge reach. Fuck outta here dude. Rey can use The Force because The Force is a writing McGuffin that does whatever the writer needs it to do when they need it to do it. Luke never Force Pulls a single fucking thi g I A New Hope and then Force Pulls his Lightsaber on Hoth with 0 word you cam even fucking do that shit. They make it up on the spot. Get over it. You're favorite SWs characters are Sue's because they all have access to an ill defined magic that does what is needed when needed. It's as simple as that. Luke can move Black Holes in the EU just fucking miss me with all this horse shit about the ST. 

Edited by RSG3
11 hours ago, Counterstrike said:

Agreed!! I don't see how they're going to redeem this character 

They are doubling down on everything people hated about Rey

They are making a story where she rectifies the mistakes and failures of her "master" Luke, where she creates a new Jedi Order.

Is idiotic.

Then add that the person writing the movie is an absolute moron who has only made stinkers and the director is only known for making heavily political stuff.
so yeah, 0 chances of them correcting anything from her character, lol

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Those two examples are trash. Riding your goofy speeder is nothing like being in a dog fight.  It informs nothing more about Luke then Rey riding her Speeder Bike informed us. She can fix anything she's encountered because she's a scrapper, shes literally a fucking mechanic. He entire job is being e mechanic. How the fuck is Luke making an off hand comment about sniping desert rats under 0 pressure any kind of insight into him being a dog fight pilot, but Rey being a life long mechanic somehow isn't insight into her being able to fix an old as fuck rust bucket ship?  And yes the Falcon Is an old ass fucking rust bucket. Rey tears down Star Destoryers, you REALLY think she can't fix a 40 year old Corrillien YT-1300 Space Frigate? Fucking really? It's the equivalent of fixing a 1950s Ford. It has 5 moving parts and extremely well documented. Just stop. 

You make 0 sense and confirm my position that OT lovers will ignore flaws in the OT while shitting on the PT and ST for the exact same fucking flaws, or in this case, isn't even a flaw for Rey, it's a flaw for Luke. Luke is not a fucking military pilot. No amount of shooting desert rodents will train you for dog fighting combat. He doesnt even know the maneuvers dude, he's a fucking farm boy. He would get pulled up behind and waxed as soon as the fucking fight started is Star Wars was remotely realistic. 

But yea the Mechanic fixing shit is definitely the huge reach. Fuck outta here dude. Rey can use The Force because The Force is a writing McGuffin that does whatever the writer needs it to do when they need it to do it. Luke never Force Pulls a single fucking thi g I A New Hope and then Force Pulls his Lightsaber on Hoth with 0 word you cam even fucking do that shit. They make it up on the spot. Get over it. You're favorite SWs characters are Sue's because they all have access to an ill defined magic that does what is needed when needed. It's as simple as that. Luke can move Black Holes in the EU just fucking miss me with all this horse shit about the ST. 

You really think my two examples were trash?? Well damn i thought i put it out really good there.

Point One: You thought it was lame Luke had comparable skills with the other Rebel pilots. I even gave you the Anakin example to show how with his skills as a star pilot and the Force he would have an advantage. Not a fair point?? 

Point Two: The Womp rats example translates into a viable skill as it shows he has expert level marksmanship without technical aids or the Force. 

Still not good enough??

Ok moving on

Rey's life as a scrapper does not translate to  she can fix anything!!

Anything???

She lived her entire life on a planet with access to specific war machines from the previous war. That does not instantly make her her an expert when it comes to all Rebel alliance, Resistance, First Order and Imperial class technology and for you to insist yes that's the case, is really astounding!!

I like how you used real world examples so let's continue along using  that line of logic.

Let me ask you, can the average mechanic fix an airplane?? A school bus??? A submarine?? A satellite?? No. These are all skills that come with additional years of training and are diverse in their scope and execution. One does not naturally translate into the other.

Are you saying with her limited technical exposure, given proper time, labor and materials she could repair and rebuild the Death Star??

My point is within the context of the movie franchise with its two main protagonists, Luke is given more build up in story to explain his eventual mastery of the Force. We can understand how he gains his strength through his character progression and training with not one but two Jedi Masters. Rey just exists and throughout her films she is not given the love or attention necessary  for me to say  "YEAH GIRL YOU GO" and empathize with her. 

3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

IFunniest shit about Star Wars fans is how they don't realize their biggest issue with Star Wars isn't Rey, or writing quality (which has always been tepid at best, Alec Guiness thought the precious OT was terrible with the worst diologue hed ever had to suffer through) or any of that shit, it's The Force. Their biggest issue is The Force because it's a magic McGuffin that has always let the main characters do impossible made up on the spot shit as was convenient for the writer. Since Day 1. 

The second funniest is how they pretend they always like the Prequel Trilogy and totally didn't bully two of its actors into almost killing themselves over it. 

Can't argue with you there. Even poor George had to throw in the towel . 

20 minutes ago, Counterstrike said:

Rey just exists and throughout her films she is not given the love or attention necessary  for me to say  "YEAH GIRL YOU GO" and empathize with her. 

Rey is a Palpatine. She has an innate and enormous connection to the Force. That's how Disney explained her plot armor in Episode 9. 

Which is retarded, but at least it kinda sorta justifies her abilities. Just like Luke is 

Spoiler

Darth Vader's son,.

Which explains his abilities and connection to the Force.

7 hours ago, RSG3 said:

She's no more OP and stupid and inhuman then Luke was. 

Yeah that would be a good point if it were true. It isn't. Anakin, Luke, and Rey all were blessed incredible natural ability. Despite having more natural ability than others. Both Anakin and Luke failed repeatedly. They both tasted defeat. They both lost appendages. Anakin lost lost to Dooku and Obi Wan despite being basically force Jesus. And to top it off Anakin was more powerful than Obi Wan when lost to him. Luke lost to Vader. Luke didn't kill even Palpatine, Vader did. DId Rey even take an L before she ran into Palpatine in RoS? The biggest difference between Rey and her predecessors is that when they ran up against another person of similar ability with more experience....they lost. Kylo Ren is the biggest nope to the "Rey was no more OP than Luke was." Kylo was also blessed with great ability, but he was trained, and he was 0-2-1 against Rey. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Yeah that would be a good point if it were true. It isn't. Anakin, Luke, and Rey all were blessed incredible natural ability. Despite having more natural ability than others. Both Anakin and Luke failed repeatedly. They both tasted defeat. They both lost appendages. Anakin lost lost to Dooku and Obi Wan despite being basically force Jesus. And to top it off Anakin was more powerful than Obi Wan when lost to him. Luke lost to Vader. Luke didn't kill even Palpatine, Vader did. DId Rey even take an L before she ran into Palpatine in RoS? The biggest difference between Rey and her predecessors is that when they ran up against another person of similar ability with more experience....they lost. Kylo Ren is the biggest nope to the "Rey was no more OP than Luke was." Kylo was also blessed with great ability, but he was trained, and he was 0-2-1 against Rey. 

I'm not saying she isn't written worse cuz she is, I'm saying all these characters are OP and broken and have magic solutions to their problems. Because they do and they are. 

Hell I'll throw Luke a flaw bone here, here's a terrible duelist when compared to just about anyone else to use a Lightsaber lol. He makes up for it elsewhere tho so it's cool. 

Edited by RSG3
13 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

If this was the route they were going to go, they should have had Din's story end after he gives Grogu to Luke. Season 3 of the Mandalorian has seemed rudderless like the Sequel Trilogy. I really enjoy some parts, most of the Mandalorian centric stuff outside of most of Lizzo world, but overall quality is so much poorer than before. The Pershing episode seemed like something more suited the cancelled Rangers of The Republic show. Katee Sackoff is more than cable of being the lead in her own show. If this is truly what's happening, the bait and switch was unnecessary. Just be upfront and call the show The Mandalorian: Unification or something. 

On 4/9/2023 at 5:53 PM, Chadouken said:

Rey is a Palpatine. She has an innate and enormous connection to the Force. That's how Disney explained her plot armor in Episode 9. 

Which is retarded, but at least it kinda sorta justifies her abilities. Just like Luke is 

Hide contents

Darth Vader's son,.

Which explains his abilities and connection to the Force.

Compare Rey's lightsaber fights in episodes 7, 8, and 9 to Darth Sidious' lightsaber fights in episodes 2 and 3. They have the same aggressive styles and such.

In the video below Ian subtly insults/burries Star Wars Episode 9

Edited by Jion_Wansu