Stage Select

The Star Wars Thread: Where we discuss ALL of Star Wars

On 4/10/2023 at 3:02 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

If this was the route they were going to go, they should have had Din's story end after he gives Grogu to Luke. Season 3 of the Mandalorian has seemed rudderless like the Sequel Trilogy. I really enjoy some parts, most of the Mandalorian centric stuff outside of most of Lizzo world, but overall quality is so much poorer than before. The Pershing episode seemed like something more suited the cancelled Rangers of The Republic show. Katee Sackoff is more than cable of being the lead in her own show. If this is truly what's happening, the bait and switch was unnecessary. Just be upfront and call the show The Mandalorian: Unification or something. 

Well.

Supposedly, the original idea was for the Grogu story to end with Mando S2, but KK forced to bring him back using the merch division, Grogu being one of the top selling toys/merch is something that was not allowed to pass over.

Hence why they brought him back on Mando 2.5

All the plans for S3 have been derailed one way or another, and suposedly Favreu is barely involved now, since he and Pascal apparently are basically done with the series.

7 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Oh and for people that saw the episode. You know who this is for.

AbsoluteChiefDolphin-size_restricted.gif

Spoiler

The moment he volunteered I knew he was gonna die.
They have been making him more sympathetic for the audience.

I would say I am mad, but at least he died a badass dead.
I would have liked if he fared better against the Pretorians, but those fuckers are capable of fucking a Jedi and a Sith.

BTW, by now is probably late, but it would have been great to have SW videogames (that don't suck) that have synergy with the shows and movies.

Imagine a fg that doesn't suck about SW made either by Capcom or ASW.

7 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

That can't be true as Favreu has a writing credit on every episode of the season so far. 

That is why I said supposedly.

The rumor floating around is that he gives an outline and others fill in.

Hence the disjointed feeling of the season.

If is true or not, we don't know.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

That is why I said supposedly.

The rumor floating around is that he gives an outline and others fill in.

Hence the disjointed feeling of the season.

If is true or not, we don't know.

So basically like Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super Anime and Manga. He writes the outline and Toyotaro fills it in. Well except for the movies IIRC. I know Dragon Ball Super Boly was all him. Not sure about Super Hero.

30 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

So basically like Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super Anime and Manga. He writes the outline and Toyotaro fills it in. Well except for the movies IIRC. I know Dragon Ball Super Boly was all him. Not sure about Super Hero.

Is funny you mention that, when I wad writing my post I was putting that as an example, but I deleted when reorganizing the post 😅

6 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

He's credited as the sole writer for four episodes of the season. 

9 hours ago, Hecatom said:

BTW, by now is probably late, but it would have been great to have SW videogames (that don't suck) that have synergy with the shows and movies.

I actually think SWs games are at their best when they do absolutely none of this. Best SWs games are the ones that stay as far away from this kind of content as possible.

Id really rather more games a media set in the future or past. While i don't like the KOTOR series from a gameplay perspective, I do like it from a narrative one.

Just now, Hawkingbird said:

He's credited as the sole writer for four episodes of the season. 

He may have written them completely but given Lucasfilm's recent history, its not a given. Gareth Edwards is credited a director of Rogue One but Tony Gilroy directed the re-shoots. IIRC it was the first of the many incidents of directors and KK butting heads.

37 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I actually think SWs games are at their best when they do absolutely none of this. Best SWs games are the ones that stay as far away from this kind of content as possible.

Id really rather more games a media set in the future or past. While i don't like the KOTOR series from a gameplay perspective, I do like it from a narrative one.

I am not saying that all games need to be focused on the shows and/or movies, but that due the exclusivity contract that Disney had with EA, there wasn't really a way to capitalize on the interest on the brand when it was at is high.

By synergy I meant brand synergy, but in the broader sense, that having the IP on the spotlight was a good opportunity to bring other experiences, be tied to the chars in movies and series or not.

Hence why I brought the idea of a fighting game, since at the highest point of interest is more easy to branch into more niche genres and still have a chance of success.

Jedi Fallen Order is perhaps the only game that really capitalized on the high interest at the time bringing new characters and settings alongside a new story and due the quality of the game, it gathered enough good will that I am willing to bet that Jedi Survivor will have enough legs to stand on its own despite the dip on interest regarding the brand at the moment.

And perhaps, bring interest on the brand or at least to its own side of it.

You can even tell they are releasing it in synergy with the other 2 series, as a way to keep something related to SW out there once Mando finishes.

Edited by Hecatom

I'm rather enjoying Season 3. It certainly feels more like a stepping stone for an overarching plotline that will persist beyond this show's boundaries, which in itself is a point you could have some arguments about, but personally I don't have an issue with this. I do think Din's arc should come to an end soon though, it's relatively obvious that initial plans must have been to send him off after S2.

That said. Yes - Yes - Yes - Yes was the funniest moment I've ever witnessed in SW. Such a simple yet effective joke, I was pretty much in tears.

10 hours ago, delete_me said:

I do think Din's arc should come to an end soon though, it's relatively obvious that initial plans must have been to send him off after S2.

idk, I like how in this season Din has been teaching Grogu how to be a Mandalorian. Din's arc won't end unless Grogu doesn't need him anymore.

16 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

idk, I like how in this season Din has been teaching Grogu how to be a Mandalorian. Din's arc won't end unless Grogu doesn't need him anymore.

More like until Disney can't make money off of them anymore. 

Season is been overall meh. Also even though new movies were announced I forget that many were announced in the past but have gotten canceled. Though the time line given for the new movies begins to concoct a new theory as to why 2 movies are set at the begging and end of the time line... 

The finale of Mando is great. It was a satisfying finale

Spoiler

The jetpack battle with the Mandos and the troopers was sweet even if it was chaotic. The armorer continues to impress whenever she is in combat.

I'm disappointed the dark saber got crushed. It will Grogu's saber when he becomes an adult and leads Mandalore.

Seeing the ceremony of foundlings becoming Mandos is sweet. I was hoping that kids dad would be honored but I guess that will happen next time. Maybe next time we see him he will be rocking his dad's armor.

Din officially adopting Grogu damn near brought a tear to my eye.

I'm glad to see IG 11 plot finally pay off.

5 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

The finale of Mando is great. It was a satisfying finale

Reveal hidden contents

The jetpack battle with the Mandos and the troopers was sweet even if it was chaotic. The armorer continues to impress whenever she is in combat.

I'm disappointed the dark saber got crushed. It will Grogu's saber when he becomes an adult and leads Mandalore.

Seeing the ceremony of foundlings becoming Mandos is sweet. I was hoping that kids dad would be honored but I guess that will happen next time. Maybe next time we see him he will be rocking his dad's armor.

Din officially adopting Grogu damn near brought a tear to my eye.

I'm glad to see IG 11 plot finally pay off.

I thought it was solid. Not perfect but much better than most of what we got this season. 

The finale was an improvement over the whole season, that is for sure.

But at the same time, I feel it still had some of the issues that ultimately made this season a disappointment for many.

I wonder where are they try to go from here.

Since it seems like it was trying to be an actual ending rather than just an ending for a season, or at least is the vibe I got.

Edited by Hecatom
12 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I wonder where are they try to go from here.

Since it seems like it was trying to be an actual ending rather than just an ending for a season, or at least is the vibe I got.

I wish more shows did endings like this. The ending left things open for the show to continue (Din offering to work under the table for the new Republic). Should the show end here then I would be satisfied with that. If we get a season 4 I hope it returns to the adventure of the week format that made the first two seasons great.

53 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I wish more shows did endings like this. The ending left things open for the show to continue (Din offering to work under the table for the new Republic). Should the show end here then I would be satisfied with that. If we get a season 4 I hope it returns to the adventure of the week format that made the first two seasons great.

Yeah with how shows get cancelled on a whim it should be standard practice. I'm tired of crap like Young Justice teasing Supergirl and Black Mary being apart of Darkseid's Furies only to get cancelled. 😑

Finally watched the last 3 episodes. The Lizzo/Jack Black episode was very meh and could have been done in half the time. I get the commentary added but felt oddly placed. 

Otherwise the last two finally had a decent payoff. I'm find with how it ended but was definitely a Disney style ending. Not bad per say but maybe Din/Grogu's story should have ended last season. Overall ok season but Disney Star Wars is still pretty weak. Sure hope Ahsoka brings it late summer. 

On 4/27/2023 at 6:04 PM, TheInfernoman said:

Not bad per say but maybe Din/Grogu's story should have ended last season

I disagree. There is still more story to tell with those two. After Grogu rejected becoming a Jedi the next natural step is for him to become a mandalorian and that's what we got to see. I wish that was the focus of the season along with retaking Mandalore.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'm not buying that rumor for a multitude of reasons. Sounds like wishful thinking.

EVen if it were true, what would even do? Lucas is too old to be handling that, again this would also deem Disney incapable of handling Star Wars and would never allow the more rabid fans to feel vindicated in their thoughts of how Disney runs Star Wars. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just finished the 1st episode of Ahsoka

So far it looks promising.

My only complain is that Ahsoka feels a little lifeless when compared to all her other versions, which I don't really like.

The only minor gripe is that the padawan gal is just a meh character so far, BUT, is only the 1st episode, so I hope they flesh her out, cuz if she stays like this, she will be an unmemorable char.

Gonna watch the 2nd episode later, since my brother had to go and run some errands.