Stage Select

The Star Wars Thread: Where we discuss ALL of Star Wars

Just now, OPTIMUS124 said:

Watiti, Johnson,  and Favreau are directors of some of my favorite movies in the more recent years. Glad to have all of them engaged in the franchise. I gotta admit that I didn't see What We Do in the Shadows till after Ragnarok. My wife and I died watching that movie 🤣

Dude, watch the FX series of it too. Waititi only produces a few episodes but holy fucking shit its as funny, if not funnier at times then the movie. 

So one thing I just realized about the new episode 

Spoiler

As Mando and Mayfield are walking through the mining facility you can clearly tell from Mando's body language he's having a ptsd related panic attack. 

You see it in its full form when he unmasks to get the info to find Gideon and talking to the imperial officer. He looked like a deer in the headlights, could barely talk and was practically shaking as the imperial officer was talking to him.

I do feel that Mando having to take off his mask had a lot to do with this panic attack as well since it violated his creed, but I feel being surrounded by a group of people who were apart of something that deeply effected him played more of a role in why he was so visibly shaken and at the point of breaking. 

The fact Mayfield picked up on this and went out of his way to be an emotional shield of sorts for mando to protect him from what was going on was on, despite what Mando did to him and his friends speaks a lot about Mayfield as a person and character. Even at the end of the confrontation Mayfield was like "We need to go, and I never saw your face"

I really dig subtle story telling like that. I have a feeling Mayfield will be back aa the series goes on. 

edit: I feel Mayfield and Mando's discussion in the Juggernaut rover will also play a big part in Mando evolving as a character. 

Edited by iStu X
3 minutes ago, iStu X said:

So one thing I just realized about the new episode 

Reveal hidden contents

As Mando and Mayfield are walking through the mining facility you can clearly tell from Mando's body language he's having a ptsd related panic attack. 

You see it in its full form when he unmasks to get the info to find Gideon and talking to the imperial officer. He looked like a deer in the headlights, could barely talk and was practically shaking as the imperial officer was talking to him.

I do feel that Mando having to take off his mask had a lot to do with this panic attack as well since it violated his creed, but I feel being surrounded by a group of people who were apart of something that deeply effected him played more of a role in why he was so visibly shaken and at the point of breaking. 

The fact Mayfield picked up on this and went out of his way to be an emotional shield of sorts for mando to protect him from what was going on was on, despite what Mando did to him and his friends speaks a lot about Mayfield as a person and character. Even at the end of the confrontation Mayfield was like "We need to go, and I never saw your face"

I really dig subtle story telling like that. I have a feeling Mayfield will be back aa the series goes on. 

Spoiler

I thought that about Mayfield more so than Mando. Mayfield could barely contain himself when talking to his former commanding officer and Mando was signaling him not to do anything. You can see it in him that he was reliving the trauma he went through as he talked to him.  

6 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:
  Hide contents

I thought that about Mayfield more so than Mando. Mayfield could barely contain himself when talking to his former commanding officer and Mando was signaling him not to do anything. You can see it in him that he was reliving the trauma he went through as he talked to him.  

Oh, for sure. 

Spoiler

100% agree.  At first it comes off as "Oh, he doesn't wanna get caught since he's no longer empire. That makes sense" But it slowly evolved into something else. 

They were both staring their demons in the face but for different reasons. It's why you could see Mayfield slowly changing from his normal poise and disposition to slowly becoming emotional, extremely upset and visably upset as his tone changed and he ended up shooting the officer.  

Mayfield was keeping it together it together until the officer asked them so sit and have a drink with him. 

Edited by iStu X
4 hours ago, iStu X said:

Yo. This weeks episode was so god damn hype 

Hide contents

Mayfield redemption and his talk about morals and values with Mando

Mando unmasking in front of people to get info on the child

Mando telling Gideon he’s coming for that ass by giving him the same speech Gideon used. 

I need the SE2 finale now. 

re: Taika Waititi 

I will watch anything that man puts his touch on. He is such a great writer and director. Probably my favorite right now. 

Honestly they should have had him helm the Solo movie. He’s really good at mixing dark humor and/or dry humor with intense drama. JoJo Rabbit is huge proof of that. 

I have to tell you....

Spoiler

Bill Burr surprised me with his acting. When he's sitting at the table talking to his old CO you can see the pain on his face. The more that dude talks the more you can tell Mayfield's stomach is churning until finally he can't take any more and blows the asshole away. Kudos to you Bill Burr, not only are you funny as hell...you can act too.

Edit: Didn't realize you brought up a lot what I was thinking @iStu X

Edited by Darc_Requiem
Just now, OPTIMUS124 said:

I will give credit where it is due. There was some level of effort put into this. I'd imagine this is fake. 

It probably is. Honestly, at this point, it doesn't matter either way. I know there was a JJ version, not saying this is it. As for why I know there is a JJ version, Daisey Ridley's interviews before Episode 8 released confirm as much.

My guys the finale. Bro I gotta tag this. This episode was legit.

Spoiler

Once I saw the X-Wing show up, I knew it was Luke. Then I noticed he had one glove on his hand. I just didn't know if they'd Deep Fake Mark Hamill or go with Sebastian Stan. It's great to see Luke Skywalker in live action again for first time 37 years. On that Boba Fett teaser at the end? He just replaced Jabba on Tatooine. Glad my insomnia kicked in tonight/this morning.

Edit: People are saying their is a Millenium Falcon easter egg at 4:44 on the episode. It looks like the Falcon.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
Spoiler

I kinda wanted it to be an unknown Jedi that takes Grogu. But Luke is cool, I guess? It makes sense but it’s also a disappointing conclusion and an easy way out. 

im sad the child is gone. 

Fett just straight up assassinating Fortuna to become the new Hutt was dope. Reminded me of Reiko’s ending in MK4. 

Edited by iStu X
17 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:
  Hide contents

I was hoping the jedi would be Ezra but Luke is just as hype. The finale of this season gave me the Luke I wanted the Last Jedi to give me. I had a tear in my eye with that goodbye.

Also, it was kinda fucked up no one bothered to check on Bo Katan after she got shot up.

Dudes were in tears online and I don't fault them. 

Spoiler

Mando damn near died against one Dark Trooper. Luke cut through a platoon like it was nothing and it was fucking awesome. Honestly, I thought Cal Kestis from Jedi Fallen Order would be the one to show up.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
48 minutes ago, CDB2k20 said:

How is Season 3 going to top this!!!?

Story wise, quite easily to be honest. Now in terms of "fan-service", this may damn well be impossible. That was a moment worthy of all the buzz. However, the main character's journey can easily overshadow this in a more impactful way. There is only one other moment in Star Wars that could match to this. Both are for the same reason - Completely unexpected and pulled no stops. 

If anyone is looking for the music from that moment tho: 

Spoiler

Edited by OPTIMUS124
2 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

Well duh but it COULD end there and would be a short but sweet chapter in the grand scheme of the Star Wars World...now the fear is how much more will hey do and avoid ruining it? 

I agree. Overall, I still prefer Season 1 of this show in comparison to Season 2. This season reminds me of Iron Man 2. It's the show that's there to setup other shows and just happens to have some cool moments within it. That said, I am confident that Season 3 is going to be something truly special because the jump-off points are already laid. I still enjoyed the ride and I will happily wait for Season 3. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
Spoiler

It is was a very good episode. I didn't want to see Luke be the one to take Grogu, but my misgivings were swayed due to the Dark Trooper slaughter, hell you can't even tell me that hallway scene wasn't a homage to Vader's hallway rampage.

Good shit, plus Bobba Fett and Fennec adventures hell yeah.

I very strongly feel like the odd man out cause the final moments of that episode did absolutely nothing for me. 
it wasn’t a bad scene or whatever. I just don’t really like 

Spoiler

The core series of Star Wars cast. I care more about the what, when, where and why and how Star Wars all connects but the core cast of characters I just don’t care about. I care about all the b-side, and behind the scene characters, the events and the characters of old that make the universe tick. The less of the core cast the better. 

the Luke reveal felt more like a nostalgia/member berries moment that it did in an actual story telling sense. 

So I simply didn’t  feel invested or emotional in those closing moments.  I hope they turn it into something great though. Which I’m sure it will. It’s clear Filion and Favraue are playing the long game

post credits scene was fire though

Edited by iStu X
5 hours ago, Wellman said:
  Hide contents

It is was a very good episode. I didn't want to see Luke be the one to take Grogu, but my misgivings were swayed due to the Dark Trooper slaughter, hell you can't even tell me that hallway scene wasn't a homage to Vader's hallway rampage.

Good shit, plus Bobba Fett and Fennec adventures hell yeah.

It was a homage to it. Someone posted a dude by side comparison on Twitter

6 hours ago, iStu X said:

I very strongly feel like the odd man out cause the final moments of that episode did absolutely nothing for me. 
it wasn’t a bad scene or whatever. I just don’t really like 

I could see that point. Patrick Willems did a video specifically about this. Because of the context connecting to this and the ep, I will spoiler tag it. 

Spoiler

It was fan service cranked to 21. I ultimately hope this isn't what things become. Hopefully the narrative continues to move beyond the OT.

1 hour ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

I could see that point. Patrick Willems did a video specifically about this. Because of the context connecting to this and the ep, I will spoiler tag it. 

Hide contents

It was fan service cranked to 21. I ultimately hope this isn't what things become. Hopefully the narrative continues to move beyond the OT.

Yeh. This is a big reason why I didn’t like it and/or care outside of what I  tagged.. It felt like fan service for the sake of fan service. Which has always bothered me. 

looking back on season 2 most of season 2 is what you spoilered.

Edited by iStu X
13 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Yeh. This is a big reason why I didn’t like it and/or care outside of what I  tagged.. It felt like fan service for the sake of fan service. Which has always bothered me. 

looking back on season 2 most of season 2 is what you spoilered.

If the appearance wasn't setup up two episodes ago I would agree. Given the timeline of this show who realistically could have answered that call? I can only think of two others and they still MIA. 

2 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

If the appearance wasn't setup up two episodes ago I would agree. Given the timeline of this show who realistically could have answered that call? I can only think of two others and they still MIA. 

I get that. But it also doesn’t really change my mind. They could have easily created a character, maybe one they could have made the next big bad guy but they went for the warm and fuzzy way out. 

which I don’t fault them for. I get it and I don’t think it was necessarily a bad decision. For those who care it was clearly a monumental moment that will likely lead to some great string of events because our favorite space Cowboy knows what he’s doing. 

but it doesn’t mean I have to care about it or like it 

2 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I get that. But it also doesn’t really change my mind. They could have easily created a character, maybe one they could have made the next big bad guy but they went for the warm and fuzzy way out

Having a new character in that role would have diminished that scenes impact. It really called for someone fans would be familiar with for the desired result. I definitely didn't want to go who the fuck is this when Grogu had to go.

3 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Having a new character in that role would have diminished that scenes impact. It really called for someone fans would be familiar with for the desired result. I definitely didn't want to go who the fuck is this when Grogu had to go.

Again. I don’t disagree with the decision they made, despite feeling it could have been done different. I feel there’s a subtle difference in that. The scene just did absolutely nothing for me since I don’t really give a shit about the character who took Grogu

Edited by iStu X
5 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Not only that, a new character creates another where the fuck were they problem. Where would a Jedi that capable been during the original trilogy?

4 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Not only that, a new character creates another where the fuck were they problem. Where would a Jedi that capable been during the original trilogy?

Uh, in hiding. Pretty simple and totally plausible. Ashoka survived...so? How is that not a possible solution?

Also they could have wrote a new character as a potential rebirth of the sith posing as a Jedi  and wanted to use Grogu. There’s a lot of ways they could have done it. 

but nah, tickle that nostalgia 

Edited by iStu X
9 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

No, not pretty simple. A Jedi that capable would have been strong enough to take on Vader. But let's just say I agree with that assessment (I don't). Where have they been since the Empire fell? Where were they down the line when the shit hit the fan at Luke's temple? 

It literally is that simple. Obi and went into hiding. Ashoka went into hiding. How is not that simple?  And how so? Why would they be able to beat Vader when the doom troopers are just blaster proof droids? 

where have they been since the empire fell? In hiding still. Obviously the empire is still very much active despite being in disarray. 

Again. In hiding. Maybe this person simply didn’t want to be found until xyz happened off screen that we learn about later. Also, from the sounds of it the sequel trilogy may be retconned out of existence considering how fucked it is. 

Disagreeing with what happened or coming up with alternate solutions doesn’t mean I’m not okay with it. I’ve literally said why I’m okay with it. Which is I trust Filoni and Favraue. They just get it when it comes to Star Wars. 

It just feels like nostalgia pandering to me and it will continue to feel that way until we know more. But keep clacking away at those keyboards 

Edited by iStu X
8 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I honestly wouldn't call it nostalgia pandering since it actually helps the story in this case. A secret Sith wouldn't work because Grogu communicated via the force. You can't hide the dark side via force convo. 

It has to be someone incredibly powerful. They made a point to show how powerful the Dark Trooper's were. Djin barely managed to best one and if didn't have Beskar would died. A platoon of those would slaughter the protagonists with ease. A character pulling a "hallway scene" on a bunch of Dark Troopers couldn't be some random mook. Cal Kestis would not have been able to pull that off alone, he'd need to have Cere and Merrin with him to have a shot.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
2 minutes ago, iStu X said:

It literally is that simple. Obi and went into hiding. Ashoka went into hiding. How is not that simple?  And how so? Why would they be able to beat Vader when the doom troopers are just blaster proof droids? 

where have they been since the empire fell? In hiding still. Obviously the empire is still very much active despite being in disarray. 

Again. In hiding. Maybe this person simply didn’t want to be found until xyz happened off screen. Also, from the sounds of it the sequel trilogy may be retconned out of existence considering how fucked it is. 

Ashoka didn't stay in hiding. In Rebels she was working as a informant for the resistance and managed to get Rex to fight on their side. Vadar personally hunted her knowing about her survival. 

Obi only went into hiding for the purpose of eventually training Luke.