Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

4 hours ago, delete_me said:

Wait, mirror matches are called "dittos" in Smash Bros.? Never heard that before and I really don't think it's a better term.

Yeah, though a Pokemon connection as the reason never occurred to me. 

Just to inject some perspective on the "all FGC chars are shotos", Ryu was added last game, then Ken. Shotos was correct and became part of the vocabulary. But when Terry was added he wasn't sufficiently different enough from the other two not to be lumped together with our boys: multiple fast, high-damage buttons that combo, shield-poke, and can outright shieldbreak in three hits if you ain't awake. Offstage recovery that is a bit linear. Almost no air acceleration in a primarily aerial game. Aaaand can ko you at absurd percentages on the regular. 

The only thing going for Kazuya not being grouped accordingly is he's never been in a 2D game so he might work sufficiently differently to be grouped elsewhere, like with Little Mac. Mac has ground speed to spare, and if they allow Kazuya to wavedash or whatever as a nod to KBD or whatever then who knows.  Our boys don't have good ground speed.

Til then Terry will just have to accept being called a shoto, with his fireball and invincible upward attack and his forward moving kick special and that power dunk Kage stole.

7 minutes ago, Sonero said:

SF5 is even more unplayable than the last time I played it.

How does Virtual Fighter have a better netcode than this shit?

The lag and delay on SFV is so ridiculous, I don't know why people even accept it.

I played some KOF98 on FC2 yesterday night and it felt pretty damn good. My reactions still aren't as good as they were when I was younger, that's normal though. But SFV had me convinced I was some sort of geriatric simpleton, it usually felt like a second or two late one everything.

4 minutes ago, Serpent said:

But SFV had me convinced I was some sort of geriatric simpleton, it usually felt like a second or two late one everything.

That's because of design choices and a bad netcode. You could make check a 16 frame dash in real life. But you aren't going to check anything when the connection is sputtering out of control. same with Jumps that you see happening halfway through their animation and other things.

Add that to a lot of super fast unreactable moves that can just happen to you like Chun's EX legs, Urien's EX Tackle and Rog's EX dash low and you sort of have to shrug. Then sprinkle a little bit of that v-trigger magic so that random things happen to you just becuase. Think you've got Bison checked properly? Nope, man is going to disappear first to make himself invinsible for a few frames and then do scissor kicks because it tickled somebody's pickle at Capcom.

20 minutes ago, Mr.Cipher said:

Imagen not using Segas patentet Delay Absorb Netcode instead they use something inferior like Rollback.

Wait, SFV is using Rollback? When was that implemented?

tenor_20.gif

About a year ago but it's really bad netcode. Poorly implemented rollback is not a good experience.

Someone actually made a patch to fix some of the really bad stuff. Capcom then changed V so that you could no longer use that patch. They made their own patch which improved the netcode, but wasn't as good as the patched version. This version imo is still unplayable so I can only imagine how bad SFV over a year ago was.

37 minutes ago, Serpent said:

Someone actually made a patch to fix some of the really bad stuff.

The patch ended up breaking half the game's functionality. You couldn't use it in cross play. So when you played PC to PS4 the connection was even worse than normal.

Its actually surprisingly how legitimately bad SF5 is for before you get to game mechanics. The big promised feature in fight money is basically non-existent. You can't really grind enough to get a lot of characters, much less the whole cast without paying for the updates.  Its rollback netcode is really bad a lot of time for inexplicable reasons. Updates to it turned connections that were good inside my city into bad ones over night. Crossplay is questionable most of the time as connection between PC to PS4 are the worse.  Random stages will make online gameplay worse than normal ( even worse when its on crossplay).

And then the biggest kicker is that the game doesn't even run right for the console it was designed for.If the console is connected online, the  training mode will randomly lag. You're practicing meaties one moment, then there's a tiny freeze, and suddenly you can move again. I've played a lot of FGs. I've never once had training mode lag.

There's a lot of cool stuff. But overall its still a shoddy product. People like giving MvC2 a lot of grief for being put together with duct tape as far as the game engine goes. But what would that make SF5? Doesn't run properly on the console it was made for, they added extra delay to loading up matches for funsies and the game will literally lag while in training mode.

Its a trash heap with a dope training mode.

1 minute ago, Maravilla said:

Whatever happened to that one guy named gootecks? I was out of the fgc loop but still heard his emoji was banned or something like that? 

Gooptecks went full right-wing tinfoil conspiracy loon and did everything from recommending essential oils to LI Joe when he got CoVid to praising the fool shot at the Capitol for being a martyr.

The results were predictable.

47 minutes ago, Serpent said:

About a year ago but it's really bad netcode. Poorly implemented rollback is not a good experience.

Someone actually made a patch to fix some of the really bad stuff. Capcom then changed V so that you could no longer use that patch. They made their own patch which improved the netcode, but wasn't as good as the patched version. This version imo is still unplayable so I can only imagine how bad SFV over a year ago was.

SFV always had Rollback, it was always dogshit tho. Altimor's patch fixed it but broke Crossplay because he obviously couldn't make a patch for PS4, Capcom nuked it and brought up their own patch.

Again, the results were predictable.

21 minutes ago, Volt said:

Gooptecks went full right-wing tinfoil conspiracy loon and did everything from recommending essential oils to LI Joe when he got CoVid to praising the fool shot at the Capitol for being a martyr.

The results were predictable.

SFV always had Rollback, it was always dogshit tho. Altimor's patch fixed it but broke Crossplay because he obviously couldn't make a patch for PS4, Capcom nuked it and brought up their own patch.

Again, the results were predictable.

Damn! 

12 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

There’s a lot of rumours that NRS is working on a DC vs Marvel game

You can file that under : never. 

59 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

looks like your away from social media or the internet from a very long time.

I was away from any fighting site and fgc news for over a year, sho,eh,etc. I didn't even watch any twitch events even though I was reminded everyday that capcom and daigo started a stream etc. the reason for that was that I wanted to focus ALL my attention to some things I wanted to learn etc. basically the few time I had from work I had to choose between watching events and playing or learning what I wanted to learn. I was obviously aware of everything else and it was just a crazy year, the election, the protests etc. I honestly made it a goal to NOT know any info about the fgc until I reached my goal. Also I've never had Twitter,Facebook,Instagram,etc. the only social site I visit is Reddit lol. 

Edited by Maravilla
35 minutes ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

That's the Room of Spirit and Time from DBZ. Basically, an empty dimension away from everyone else.

Lol thanks for clearing that out. I was starting to think he thought I was in rehab or something, not that it's something bad as we can all fall to negative stuff and need help one day. But yea, not that anyone cares but I took a hiatus from gaming in general, even watching twitch, not to mention the pandemic hit and on my free time I was with my family hiking etc. I wanted to come back to shoryuken after I reached a goal I had unfortunately I didn't reach it due to personal things so I just said "fudge it time to ask dumb questions on shoryuken (megashock now), watch twitch etc. Thsnks guys for replying to me and answering questions! 

Edited by Maravilla
Autocorrect
2 hours ago, Maravilla said:

Lol thanks for clearing that out. I was starting to think he thought I was in rehab or something, not that it's something bad as we can all fall to negative stuff and need help one day. But yea, not that anyone cares but I took a hiatus from gaming in general, even watching twitch, not to mention the pandemic hit and on my free time I was with my family hiking etc. I wanted to come back to shoryuken after I reached a goal I had unfortunately I didn't reach it due to personal things so I just said "fudge it time to ask dumb questions on shoryuken (megashock now), watch twitch etc. Thsnks guys for replying to me and answering questions! 

You said you went into LEARNING, and that's the perfect example of a place.

That's where future trunks and vegeta trained and learned new technique to face Cell, Same with kid gohan and goku.  like 3 days in  earth time is like 3 years inside that place. they used to to catch up against cell

2 hours ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

That's the Room of Spirit and Time from DBZ. Basically, an empty dimension away from everyone else.

thanks man

Edited by Shakunetsu

Happy Father's Day to the few MSers with children. The #FamilyMan Clique.

Playing a guy on a 3 bar connection and choosing all the laggy stages. Got bopped due extra from things just moving all wack.

It was so bad that the background characters were moving worse than stop motion. Gonna have to get Strive so I can get a better SF experience than this.

On 6/19/2021 at 6:49 PM, Maravilla said:

Whatever happened to that one guy named gootecks? I was out of the fgc loop but still heard his emoji was banned or something like that? 

Even before COVID he was saying some rather weird things to me during the brief time I worked with him at Capcom Cup 2019.  Kept talking about how great shrooms are while I just sat there going "yeah that's nice hey let's talk about 3rd strike!"

2 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

Even before COVID he was saying some rather weird things to me during the brief time I worked with him at Capcom Cup 2019.  Kept talking about how great shrooms are while I just sat there going "yeah that's nice hey let's talk about 3rd strike!"

Oh dang lol. You worked on capcup 2019? 

11 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

spacer.png

I did!  And I got to talk SFxT in catering with Ono and Nakayama.  

Me and Ryan were recording the Capcom Cup LCQ, 250 matches all named and labelled.  After I gave them fully split to Ryan (who knows where they are now...) I told Ono what we'd done because he didn't know we had salvaged the LCQ.  Dude's eyes lit up like Blanka getting hit in SF2 and looked at me and said "YOU...ARE A HERO!"  Told me thank you for all the years of support and that the whole SF community owed me a major debt.  I had been recording SfxT the same way the last 7 years (5 years at that point) so it wasn't that big of a hassle, just tedious to cut through everything and associate it with the google sheet I gave bracket runners to fill out when a match started on a marked station with an LGP.  

It was the kind of stuff you dream about as a kid, and I made that dream come true.  And then COVID happened and all the contacts I made at Capcom left the company...

Damn that's awesome dude. Truly awesome experience you have. Nice!! 

The whole esport FGC took a beating from the pandemic, with it being impossible to have offline gatherings and half of the games using shitty delay netcode that just doesn't work on long geographic distances. We're still in the phase where publishers are having interim online events, so I guess SF is doing alright even though we aren't really in a normal situation.

It's wild what kind of excuses people will make for things they bitch about in other games that are in their games. If SFV or Tekken had the same netcode as SamSho I would put money on people still playing it because it's SF/Tekken. I realize most franchises can't get away with that, but people go full on hypocrite mode complaining about netcode in other games when the games they play also have trash netcode. 

Stockholm GIF by Mad Decent

Gotta say for all the talk about SFV's netcode I have zero issues with it. Central Europe and searching for 5 bars only gives me a solid connection 95% of the time. Out of all the fighting games I played this generation only MvCI ran better online. Tekken is so-so, as is DOA. SCVI is a travesty online. SamSho was horrible. Haven't tried MK or arcSystem's games because I don't particularly enjoy them.

But I suppose the US with larger distances to cover is another matter.

Edited by delete_me
59 minutes ago, delete_me said:

But I suppose the US with larger distances to cover is another matter.

It's more complicated than that.  If you live in coastal states in the US, the population density is very high, so you get plenty of connections to people who are geographically close (though you sill get a lot of occasional oddities like coast to coast connections, or Canada to Mexico).

But the actual internet infrastructure in the US is more fragmented than it is in a lot of other countries.  Somebody with more of a background in I.T. could probably explain it better, but having lots of different competing ISPs, often on very different equipment, means that while everything still connects to everything else you can end up with unpredictable bottlenecks or weirdly long connection paths for people who are physically close to you.

2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

It's wild what kind of excuses people will make for things they bitch about in other games that are in their games. If SFV or Tekken had the same netcode as SamSho I would put money on people still playing it because it's SF/Tekken. I realize most franchises can't get away with that, but people go full on hypocrite mode complaining about netcode in other games when the games they play also have trash netcode. 

Stockholm GIF by Mad Decent

Franchise power is indeed a real thing.

One just has to consider how Fallout 76 still sold 2 millions and a half units, which is a number that Guilty Gear Strive may struggle to reach, even though Fallout 76 is literal flaming dog shit.

1 minute ago, Phantom_Miria said:

sold 2 millions and a half units, which is a number that Guilty Gear Strive may struggle to reach

Only time will tell. 

I have a good feeling that Strive will hit 2.5 million, and I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of it's support cycle it hits 4 million. 

it has amazing netcode, it's gorgeous, and it's already sold nearly half a million. 

If it really shows off at EVO, and they have a crazy reveal (like a new mode on top of a new character) I wouldn't be surprised if it his 2 million by next June. 

While on the topic of sales, one of the tactics everyone is using lately is cross-over characters, but I feel like GG cares too much about it's canon to let sub zero or blanka or whoever to show up. Would definitely moves some units if they did tho, especially if they put like John Wick or something in there.