Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

23 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

You jest

Like hell I do. 

Omega May is more or less confirmed already in my opinion. 

ASW knows what they're doing with DLC characters. Just like Bamco. When you drop a new character, make them broken (or at least look broken  i.e. SS4 Gogeta)  to get everyone talking about it, people jump back in to see the bullshit in living color, then you tone them down after a couple months of silliness. 

You're right about the netcode tho. Even if the numbers drop, you'll still have the ability to find games cause you can get a good match with just about anyone in the world if you connection is decent. 

15 minutes ago, Maravilla said:

Lol that @Bigtochirodude reacted to my post, wasn't he the guy who liked peoples posts and like after a long time actually posted something? 

Hell yeah he was. 

BigT is the realest of the real. That guy rules 

Whatever happened to that one guy that used to post at shoryuken forums with like strange questions? Like he used to post stuff like:

"hey I'm trying to main a different character, who has the best frame traps?" 

"hey is this a real reset" (everyone would tell him no and he'd argue it was lol). 

Don't know if anyone knows who I'm talking about and you don't have to say his name I was just remembering his posts lol

Edited by Maravilla

4 minutes ago, Maravilla said:

Whatever happened to that one guy that used to post at shoryuken forums with like strange questions? Like he used to post stuff like:

"hey I'm trying to main a different character, who has the best frame traps?" 

"hey is this a real reset" (everyone would tell him no and he'd argue it was lol). 

Don't know if anyone knows who I'm talking about and you don't have to say his name I was just remembering his posts lol

Was that Mobb Deep?

FWIW, I joined SRK after he left, but I feel like that’s what I remember you guys saying about him

Edited by Mattatsu
3 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Was that Mobb Deep?

FWIW, I joined SRK after he left, but I feel like that’s what I remember you guys saying about him

Yea I joined after he left too. Pretty sure that person made different accounts and everyone knew it was the same person because of his funny posts etc. 

Regarding the roster size discussion from the last page, I think the reason SFV "got away" with it is because of the promise of free DLC characters on the horizon. I know FM is a touchy subject but matter of fact is that I got all of my DLC character without spending a penny and am only missing Ed and Blanka (tough one, I can barely sleep at night). If I bought Strive today I'd go into it with the knowledge that whoever character comes next will cost me on top of the price I already paid, so in a situation like this it's easier to criticise the starting roster, particularly if your personal favourite is missing.

I wonder how SFVI is going to launch. Considering hw much shit they got for the FM system and how accepted paid DLC has become in the same timespan (that juxtaposition is still a mystery to me) I wouldn't be surprised to see the same approach that arc is taking here.

4 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

This game does look kinda fun though. If it’s not too expensive, I may pick it up on PS

edit: does melty blood have tradition inputs (236s, 623s, etc)? I just read something that made it seem like it doesn’t 

The current Melty has normal Inputs 236,214,623,22 and everyone has at least one 63214 or 41236

Also the current Melty is free, you can try it, I have linked the Melty Cord on Volts Discord.

11 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Tbh the way things are going especially with the crossover characters, I wouldn't be surprised 😆 

"It's the year 2077.

Shrinking demographics, aging among veteran players, and the ever-increasing popularity of crossover events and characters have forced all fighting game franchises to combine into one in order to just survive an unforgiving modern videogame market.

A shared development team composed of a 107-years old Katsuhiro Harada, Ono's remaining consciousness who's been implanted in a life-sized Blanka android, Ed Boon's son who took over the mantle of his father after his shocking assassination at the hands of a Mileena fan in 2049, a cyborg-ized Daisuke Ishiwatari and many other old legendary fighting game directors are desperately trying to direct the massive, bloated game simply known as "The Fighting Game".

Its roster is composed by 2/3rds of characters borrowed from Street Fighter, Tekken, Soul Calibur, King of Fighters, Guilty Gear, Blazblue, Samurai Shodown, Virtua Fighter, Dead or Alive, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, Skullgirls, Melty Blood, Under Night In-Birth, and at least three Arcana Heart characters, two Them's Fightin' Herds characters, and one Dong Dong Never Die character, and the remaining third is composed of several pop culture guest characters from '80s and '90s movies and comics like Terminator, Robocop, Rambo and Howard the Duck, that are still milked in 2077 in what's becoming a century-long creative crisis with no end in sight.

The gameplay is a chaotic mess where teams of 5 characters each fight other teams alone or everyone at the same time. Breaking the wall of the arena causes the game to switch from 2D to 3D mode and vice-versa. Universal parries, custom combos, FADC and V-Trigger are all available, and so are Roman Cancels, assists, Rage, Soul Charge, Instant Kills that are also Fatalities, combo breakers, 8 different kinds of meter, Character Variations (12 for each, plus custom ones), Danger Time, and many other overlapping systems from all over the place that don't really work together or alone. In 2069 it was officially declared that the roster of over 400 characters had grown too big for any human to manually balance, and so balancing was left to an algorithm that would automatically balance the game every month according to global statistics from online matches, but the algorithm would eventually gain self-sentience and start balancing the game erratically according to its own tastes in character design and ideas such as 'fireball spamming is cheap' and 'grapplers are dishonest'. As of March 2077 Twelve is the undisputed top tier, followed by a bunch of waifus.

Yet all this effort and compromises may not be enough to save fighting games from their doom. The number of fighting game players shrinks every day, as arthritis and old age claim more and more veterans, and kids nowadays are more interested in their neural holographic visual novels streamed directly to the eyes through a machine installed inside the brain, and old analogic video games are considered more and more a thing of the past, like VHS or easily accessible drinkable water.

In order to stave off the inevitable dealings have been made between the development team and Nintendo in order to combine The Fighting Game with their former greatest competitor, Super Smash Bros, as only through an alliance that would give birth to the first fighting game with over 1000 playable characters they can hope to challenge the game that's been sweeping all competition in the industry for decades, Fortnite 2.

Still, tensions between the FGC and the Smash community remain high, and the mere rumors of a possible fusion have already resulted in violent clashes and anarchy in the streets between FGC and Smash sympathizers through every still inhabitable part of the Earth and the arcologies on the Moon. The future of fighting games, as always, remains uncertain clouded in unseeable mixups."

7 hours ago, Dayaan said:

I've been saying this for years. I love fighting games. They're so awesome.

Man, the way most people play today though, it's almost entirely knowledge checks. The human elements seem to be lessened.

Laugh (the Korean player) identified 3 traits/categories of players. Top players have all of them but lesser players tend to be in one or two, and even top players will still probably have different strength numbers if you were to make like a character card of them. The traits are body, mind, heart, if I didn't get them wrong. Sajam does have a video on it.

In the past, you could get away with any of them although I feel body is the most important and a requirement, others do disagree. Myself for example, my highest rating probably would have been heart, then body, then mind. Today, I feel most people are mind and then maybe body, heart tends to be missing. Most people to me play like AIs now, with setups and strings they've drilled non-stop, barely paying attention to what the opponent is doing especially once their string is starting. This is especially true in SFV, but many will claim all games are like that. I don't know, I just know back when I was playing, it was different.

What you're describing, and the tweet you're responding to, yeah I'd enjoyed that too, that's what I loved about fighting games. Closely matched competitors constantly adjusting and adapting to each other, going back and forth. That mental and emotional battle. But I just really have to disagree that it's like that now.

44 minutes ago, Serpent said:

Man, the way most people play today though, it's almost entirely knowledge checks. The human elements seem to be lessened.

Laugh (the Korean player) identified 3 traits/categories of players. Top players have all of them but lesser players tend to be in one or two, and even top players will still probably have different strength numbers if you were to make like a character card of them. The traits are body, mind, heart, if I didn't get them wrong. Sajam does have a video on it.

In the past, you could get away with any of them although I feel body is the most important and a requirement, others do disagree. Myself for example, my highest rating probably would have been heart, then body, then mind. Today, I feel most people are mind and then maybe body, heart tends to be missing. Most people to me play like AIs now, with setups and strings they've drilled non-stop, barely paying attention to what the opponent is doing especially once their string is starting. This is especially true in SFV, but many will claim all games are like that. I don't know, I just know back when I was playing, it was different.

What you're describing, and the tweet you're responding to, yeah I'd enjoyed that too, that's what I loved about fighting games. Closely matched competitors constantly adjusting and adapting to each other, going back and forth. That mental and emotional battle. But I just really have to disagree that it's like that now.

Fighting games get "figured out" fairly quickly that's days. People can know inside of a few weeks what the optimal combos are and if that's the case, yes, a lot of people will play the same way. Also, top players have a lot of influence and lower level players assume "well, if this top players is saying it's good, I trust them."