Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

1 hour ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

That honestly sounds dope. 

I had it planned in the back of my head to write about the whole experience. Then dealing with the people in charge of the srk front page sucked all the joy out of writing about stuff.

Think I have the pics of the event still. Hopefully I do. My dog destroyed a few external hard drives and with it some good memories. 

2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

My main in that game was a top tier? I would have forced myself to like the game if I known this

Funny story, NA and Asia disagree heavily on many things in regards to tiers in that game. But they agreed on two things: Miyako was the best and Saber was the worst lol

That said even after the nerfs I bet Miyako is still strong, that character is too gorilla to die from those changes

9 hours ago, Shahenzan said:

NA and Asia disagree heavily on many things in regards to tiers in that game

I love watching wildly different metas grow in different locales. 😂

I also love it when we, NA, prove those grass eaters totally wrong with our superior understanding. 😤

I'm not so fond about how often my entire continent is so consistently wrong about these things tho. 😭

...at least we had marvel...

7 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Nah, this asshole has to be nerfed

"After carefully analyzing player and match data we decided something needed to be changed. Luke now has 2 extra frames of recovery on his light and heavy dp. To compensate for this change his light, heavy and ex fireballs now exploded on contact with another fireball, putting the opponent into a juggle state if they are close enough. We are excited to hear your feedback and look forward to seeing you in the next CPT event"  

Rise UP !

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCSV0cAmBd-DL79UHoRwU

Edited by Skort
11 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@Sonerois dead on. WatchMojo lists are awful. Sometimes I wonder if they make them bad on purpose for the extra attention. 🤔

Bro they gotta. For some bizarre reason they have a list to offend everybody. What's worse about them is the Rollercoaster of emotions they put you through.

First they give an awful take. Then the one guy at the office who knows anything about anything gets a few picks. Then they get mad at him and go random. Then they do some wack picks, a sleeper, and then do questionable shit all around.

The top 5 of this list was:

#5 Skullgirls

#4 DragonBall Fighters

#3 Street Fighter 2

#2 MvC2

#1 Smash Ultimate

They put Soul Calibur 6 at #6. LMAO with male MOJO. I hate that cunt.

Skullgirls, Sam Sho 2019 and Project Justice being on that list caught me by surprise. I wouldn't expect anyone tasked with putting these shitlists together to know those games exist. 

Picking Tekken 3 over 5 is wtf. Unless that's the one they picked for the cultural significance. 

I'm genuinely shocked that Naruto Ninja Storm game didn't make it with the arena fighters they picked to kick off the list. 

12 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

For Street Fighter, it's a trademark a brand experience so taking out motion inputs is a bad idea. IMHO

Is not only that.

Having motion inputs serves 2 purpose, give you more options to pull from for the specials and balance

For example, lets say you have a game with only 4 buttons, 2 punches and 2 kicks

Lets say that you want to have a shoto there, with the classic 3 specials

By having the specials being done only using directionals, you have overlaps with movement and crouching normals. 

You can only do the fireball by doing 6P, the tatsu by doing 4K and the SRK by doing either 2P or 3P

To try avoid overlap you would need to have a very strict input buffer, like only allowing it to be done at the same time or very near each other.

But because the simple scheme, you can't have command normals for example.

Motions open the possibility to have more complex/complete characters, since you can more variety of moves be command normals and specials without fear of overlap.

A char like Sol from GGAc cant exist on simple scheme game, it loses not only many specials and normals but also universal options. 

And in terms of balance, it allows the devs to give special properties to moves based on their input.

Is not the same to have a grappler like Zanguief do his command grab by doing a 360, a 632146/63214 command or doing a 214/236

As it is right now, doin a simple 214/236 will be busted, and while half circles/half circles +back or forward are technically comparable, the character loses the ability to do the command from any direction like you do with a 360.

Take for example Ino, once her Chemical love went from a 632146 to a 214 the move got nerfed in range and hitboxes.

This notion that commands are a barrier is quite dumb imo, since is something that after 10 minutes or less you can learn how to do it.

Edited by Hecatom
19 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Pretty sure the changes to Chemical Love had less to do with the motion and more to do with the properties they gave the new move on top of being able to YRC the thing.  AC+R has a lot of dumbshit things in it. Them changing stuff from that game isn't immediately a "oh look they made the game baby shit" situation.

You know, every time you say that, that X or Y game has dumb shit i immediately go, there goes sonero complaining about shit just because he doesn't like it 🤣

Like, i would agree that there are some dumb shit on occasions, but most of the time, is just stuff that is not a problem , but you don't like it because whatever reason

Mostly due personal preferences, ignoring the context of the game and if it makes sense on it.

Also, no one said that it was because they were babyfying the game.

I explicitly said that they made balance changes to the move due in part, for the changes of input.

A easier to pull move with the og properties would have been too much, regardless of the changes in mechanics.

It would have been busted on both XX, AC and Xrd.

Inputs can have an impact on how the moves are being balanced.

Guile having to charge his projectile and have it be like a regular hadoken will be a bad move

While Ryu having to do a 236P and being like a Sonic Boom would be too good

The same if you could do a Dragon Punch by simply doing 214P for example, it would change the dynamic of the game, since you don't have the inherent weakness of having to do a 623 instead.

40 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

You know, every time you say that, that X or Y game has dumb shit i immediately go, there goes sonero complaining about shit just because he doesn't like it 🤣

Like, i would agree that there are some dumb shit on occasions, but most of the time, is just stuff that is not a problem , but you don't like it because whatever reason

Mostly due personal preferences, ignoring the context of the game and if it makes sense on it.

That's because a lot of ArcSys games have straight out dumb shit that they've tried to fix in the next version.  Unfortunately its only cool to talk about how Capcom games fucked up but not how ArcSys does it.  Hell its way cooler to shit on ST than it is to say some of the legitimately bad ideas that ArcSys put in the game in AC+R.

Even though I know how to play around Ken's LP DP in ST that doesn't mean that it should come back. It was pretty dumb shit in that game and it'd be pretty dumb shit in modern games too.  If Xrd and Strive are any indictation, I'm pretty sure ArcSys is aware that they went way too far on some stuff  with XX and have been trying to figure out how to get the best part of the gameplay without running into some of the issues those games had.

This is probably why instead of having high/low unblockables in Strive, they moved Zato's checkmate situation to be Oppose + Command grab so opponents could have more of an out against it and it took more effort to set it up.

I love Marvel 2. Doesn't mean the game isn't full of stuff that shouldn't be in games intentionally. Unblockables are bad, Guard Breaks are bad, Infinites are bad etc. Having a character who has a super that zooms across he screen in a few frames, punishes people for sneezing and can link into itself multiple times as a ToD probably not a great idea either. Not about to start huffing and puffing if those things get reworked in later games. Or unless you're Power Rangers people you put them all in on purpose and make a meme game.

Some stuff was just poorly thought out and it needs to stay dunked.

26 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Unfortunately its only cool to talk about how Capcom games fucked up but not how ArcSys does it. 

You have to be living under a rock if you really believe that.

ASW gets called out the same as any other company when they fuck up or hell, for shit that people disagree with.

You only get the impression that Capcom gets called more because you gravitate towards capcom centric communities.

When AC came out people complained because they preferred #Reload style of game.

To the point that some subset of the community decided to use Slash as a pseudo way to balance #R by using the Slash version of some chars and the #R version of others for tournaments.

When BBCT came out people complained about the terribad mechanics and balance that the game had, like the game lybra.

The same with BBCS due how primers worked on the 1st version

People complained about how they felt that BBTAG dumbed down BB as a game (ignoring that is its own series)

People complained about how they made DLCs back on the BBCS days, because they preferred to wait for a revision, and then complained when BBCS extend came out, because they wanted it to be like how they made DLCs for BBCS and BBCSII

People complained about P4A being designed with autocombos and how they gave 50% of meter for free when you got to a certain point in your health bar and many other stuff.

They also complained that DPs where just 2 buttons.

People complained and still do about DBFZ because they want the game to play in X or Y way,.

People have complained about different shit on GBFVS.

Just a few days ago we had people complaining about the GOAT Lobby system they have (except for Strive)

Lets not forget the huge backlash that Strive got due its heavy departure from the GG formula.

People still complain to this day about the RC system on Xrd and Str4ive because the time stop

Etc, etc.

You cant be serious saying that they don't get called out or people don't complain about the games, because is not true.

Plus you conflate shit that can be considered dumb with shit that you don't like or don't align with your preferences.

We had this conversation many times already bro.

Edited by Hecatom

I have moved on from making guides, because halfway through compiling resources for a Remy, Gouki and Makoto guide, I asked myself, "Why am I doing this? This is such a waste of time."

Instead I'm thinking of maybe interviewing people here on their FG/FGC experiences and making a new thread for each highlighted player. I feel like it is more important to learn about the people that make our games worth playing rather than about the games themselves. I realised that I don't really give a shit about fighting games, I care about engaging with human beings and learning about them is far more interesting to me than pushing buttons on a tray.

With that being said, if anyone is in the mood to be interviewed or feels like they have stories they have to tell or wants an avenue to have their FGC experiences validated, this is my signal to hit me up so we can publicise (what you're comfortable with of course) the best parts of your life within the community we call a family. I'm sure there's so much to be learned here.