Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

3 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

And what's up with these hyper angry m2f trans people?  I saw Adelheid Stark rage hard first-hand.

As a gay man myself with lots of first hand experience with all members of the LGBT community, I can honestly tell you that some of the angriest people I ever met were trans MTF people.

If you can't manage all the negative energy you receive from the world (I prefer transferring my essence into new host bodies whenever I can), it will either destroy you or turn you destructive outwardly. And unfortunately we live in a world right now where trans people are one of the most demonized and misunderstood minorities. 

This isn't meant to justify what Emily did -that monster can go fuck herself- but I'm just saying be careful what you put out into the world, it always finds its way around back to you.

Edited by Daemos

Hi guys,

I recently watched Triple KO Poverty Fighters.

I have tried to played a lot of weird pc fighters from dos and a lot of obscure arcade fighters in the early 2000s that are likely on the poverty fighters category. I haven't so much time like I had before, So I haven't tried a lot of modern fighters.

They mention Skull Girls and Melty Blood?

What makes Skull Girls and Melty Blood in terms of gameplay mechanics falls in the category of poverty in your opinion?

And What do you think the reason that they considered those games poverty?

How do you consider a fighting game mechanic janky?

What modern fighters way past the era of SF4 that has janky game mechanics?

Thank you

Edited by Shakunetsu
5 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

How do you consider a fighting game mechanic janky?

What modern fighters way past the era of SF4 that has janky game mechanics?

I never felt comfortable with NRS fighting games when it comes to movement options.  

I don't really play many fighting games and i thought it was just me being too used to SF series in order to adapt to NRS's games like MK and Injustice but then i tried  KOF and Killer instict and a bit of SC and movement was smooth and i had no issues with it. 

In MK and Injustice stuff feels stiff, it feels floaty at times. Unsure if this is because movement animations do not match the distance traveled  or something else. You feel like you are walking into a low gravity room and to compensate for this they gave half the roster teleports or some sort of flight power.  Not a fan personally.

Game can look good , have a cool roster etc but if i don't have proper control over the characters i play i ain't gonna invest any time into said game.

7 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

I have tried to played a lot of weird pc fighters from dos and a lot of obscure arcade fighters in the early 2000s that are likely on the poverty fighters category. I haven't so much time like I had before, So I haven't tried a lot of modern fighters.

What makes Skull Girls and Melty Blood in terms of gameplay mechanics falls in the category of poverty in your opinion?

I wouldn't call skullgirls a poverty game.

The real poverty games were the wacky doujin games that you could only real about on SRK. Eternal Fighter Zero, Immaterial and Missing Power etc. IF you could run it on a bum laptop, it was probably a poverty game.

Early metly was definitely poverty status. Funny enough that used to be sp00ky's moniker: The King of Poverty.

8 minutes ago, Sonero said:

I wouldn't call skullgirls a poverty game.

I wonder why they would call skullgirls a poverty game

10 minutes ago, Sonero said:

The real poverty games were the wacky doujin games that you could only real about on SRK. Eternal Fighter Zero, Immaterial and Missing Power etc. IF you could run it on a bum laptop, it was probably a poverty game.

I missed that two, will check it out for research purposes, I wasn't a fan all chibi girls fighting game when I was early 20s. I do have check parody stuff like queen of hearts because of the king of fighters haha

Hi guys,

The thing with "poverty games" is that is not about the games being janky.

Yeah, you see a lot of "Kusoge games" aka games with a lot of jank, questionable mechanics, broken balance, etc being considered poverty.

But you also see games that are well designed and/or with more production values, like SG, MB, AH, etc

Also, you can see games that fall under  kusoge games being played on the main stage of tournaments, like HnK, SBX, MVC3 for example.

Poverty is more about the type of scene, small, to put it in a way, relegated to a small part of the venue, a corner or as the meme says, on a bathroom/alley,

With small prices or not price at all, hence the poverty moniker, you will barely make enough money to cover the expenses of the trip to the tournament.

In other words, a very niche game that doesn't attract a lot of people, be either because the game is obscure, not accessible (more true on older days where you had to import the game and mod your console) or lacks mass appeal, or at least mass appeal on the fgc.

To sumarize.

Poverty is not about the quality of the game, is about the scene behind the game.

Edited by Hecatom
Just now, Shakunetsu said:

Never knew MVC3 falls along kusoge, was that because of XFactor or Vergil and Astral Vision

A lot of things.

Both intentional and unintentional.

In part was due how many mechanics that were copied from other games where poorly implemented.

And also due how there were glitches that for example opened the game for more combo freedom, were also a factor into the game devolving into TOD's for example.

XFactor is a mechanic that while some would consider questionable, it can work depending of the context of the game, but as it was implemented, combined with all the other stuff in the game, it made it very obnoxious.

Vergil and Astral Vision were more like symptoms of problems in other areas imo.

They still needed balancing, butthey were made worse due all the other stuff in the game, imo.

Just now, Mr.Cipher said:

Isn't that the case with basically everything?

It's always the loud minoritys.

I don't know, there are cases where the community more or less gets into a consensus, like with the Twins on SFIV for example.

The funny thing is that is with A21 that those fuckers start to make noise instead of like Bardock or GT Goku that imo, where more obnoxious, but not ban worthy either.

Perhaps is a symptom of the game being on its later years so is more easy for those loud fucks to be noticed? I don't know.

But is funny that TOs are even considering to cave in to their cries.

But then again, society as a whole has caved into dumbest shit, so is not surprising to see happening to a more innocuous one.

I was remembering what they were talking in Triple KO

That Street Fighter The Movie Game wasn't touch or popular in the arcade in that time compare to Super turbo.

It wasn't popular here either it came late however between the two cabs it's the opposite here, because arcade cabs of ST didn't get the updated version here, they would only play with it with either Akuma or Deejay, and everyone would play more of other fancy team mechanic games and more flashy fighting games than ST.

In modern fighting games, was there a fighting game character that have a special properties that some of his/her normals to be designed as an unblockable?

How do they implement it and, what were the condition applied for that  character's unblockable normal to make it not that broken or something to balance that normal attack?

Thanks Guys

Edited by Shakunetsu

In modern fighting games, was there a fighting game character that have a special properties that some of his/her normals to be designed as an unblockable?

How do they implement it and, what were the condition applied for that  character's unblockable normal to make it not that broken or something to balance that normal attack?

Thanks Guys

Not really unblockables, Amane in BB has some special mechanics on his "normal" and special drills, where they level up, increasing the damage, the hitstun and specially the chip damage. 

I swear, there are times where is better to get hit rather than block. 

35 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Not really unblockables, Amane in BB has some special mechanics on his "normal" and special drills, where they level up, increasing the damage, the hitstun and specially the chip damage. 

I swear, there are times where is better to get hit rather than block. 

that's Interesting take on a character special and normals

Abigail in v-trigger 1 . He gets to charge fierce buttons to unblockable people.

Should be noted that an incredible amount of unblockables lead to bad gameplay.  Almost every time one is found that's practical, bad things happen to the game. The only one I know that's more of a mix up and a non issue is Doom's Unblockable sweep in mvc2. It's only unblockable if you catch certain frames of a ground tech. Doesn't lead to anything iirc. 

Those things go up there in the pantheon of bad mechanics.

8 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

Thanks Guys

Pretty sure a bunch of characters have them. Some have guard break, others are straight up unblockables, but they're usually slow or need to be charged.

So i was messing around with a random character account ( well about 5  characters actually )  and i was trying  out Falke ( she cool ) ran into this Rog. 

Man....you just know when you see someone with that win streak that he had , not only he is a smurf but if you manage to win,we eating some well seasoned steak tonight, extra salt thank you very much. 

14 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

Thanks Guys

Several characters in melty blood type lumina have unblockable moves. They're balanced by being slow, not generally giving combos, and losing to shield lol

6 hours ago, Sonero said:

Abigail in v-trigger 1 . He gets to charge fierce buttons to unblockable people.

Should be noted that an incredible amount of unblockables lead to bad gameplay.  Almost every time one is found that's practical, bad things happen to the game. The only one I know that's more of a mix up and a non issue is Doom's Unblockable sweep in mvc2. It's only unblockable if you catch certain frames of a ground tech. Doesn't lead to anything iirc. 

Those things go up there in the pantheon of bad mechanics.

If we go with that, then there is also some chargeable normals on Under Night In Birth, Melty Blood and I think also on Bungoku Denki Climax.

Where I think were implemented without problem.

And I think Examu has something similar in AH, where it was also implemented without problem.

Like i have said before, a mechanic is not a problem if is implemented right, and there are other mechanics in place to add to the risk reward ratio.

4 hours ago, Skort said:

So i was messing around with a random character account ( well about 5  characters actually )  and i was trying  out Falke ( she cool ) ran into this Rog. 

Man....you just know when you see someone with that win streak that he had , not only he is a smurf but if you manage to win,we eating some well seasoned steak tonight, extra salt thank you very much. 

Battle Outfit Falke I see.

That's an excellent choice. 👌

I kinda expected you'd use Story costume though. 🙂

51 minutes ago, Shahenzan said:

Several characters in melty blood type lumina have unblockable moves. They're balanced by being slow, not generally giving combos, and losing to shield lol

Can you give me an example two interesting characters with their unblockable moves.

Thanks