Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

Daigo has always been a savage. Its just now that its public.

Him and I think tokido roasting the ever living shit out of KSK over only being good at 2i is amazing. Its the same with Wong. Wong did a video playing with Kizzie Kay and he was a lowkey savage to Kizzie the entire time. You forget how brutal Justin can be when he is out there being congenial with stream monsters.

13 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

but wtf is that game, everyone gets guns or smthg? 

Free to play Smash game that spends their days supporting its playerbase instead of worrying if their game is an FG or not.

Looks neat.

56 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Him and I think tokido roasting the ever living shit out of KSK over only being good at 2i is amazing.

Wow. I know what you are referencing, but this is really downplaying what happened.

It wasn't just Daigo and Tokido. It was multiple top players in a room roasting KSK to his face over him calling himself godlike, and then the clowned on his audacity to write texts on 2nd Impact. I also seem to recall this happening after they all beat him really bad in Street Fighter. Those videos (yes, there are multiple) are golden.

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

Daigo has always been a savage. Its just now that its public.

Him and I think tokido roasting the ever living shit out of KSK over only being good at 2i is amazing. Its the same with Wong. Wong did a video playing with Kizzie Kay and he was a lowkey savage to Kizzie the entire time. You forget how brutal Justin can be when he is out there being congenial with stream monsters.

JWong is from New York. He's a family man now but back in the day he was just as savage as any New Yorker.

I was thinking of making a video of the balance changes Juri got over the years, so I looked at some of my old videos.  In one of them, I did st.mp into st.hp.  The conditions for it to work was:  The st.mp HAD to be counterhit, it HAD to be meaty, the opponent HAD to be crouching....

That video was from 6 years ago.  It really took Capcom 6 years to say "ok Juri, you can combo a medium into a heavy without the planets aligning".

2 hours ago, Fatal Error XI said:

I was thinking of making a video of the balance changes Juri got over the years, so I looked at some of my old videos.  In one of them, I did st.mp into st.hp.  The conditions for it to work was:  The st.mp HAD to be counterhit, it HAD to be meaty, the opponent HAD to be crouching....

You could go over the unannounced nerfs she got in every patch of SF4 to quell that stupid"oh but she got buffed every patch" narrative bullshit.

I'm still steamed.

5 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

What are the disadvantages and advantages of blind select and counter picking being allowed in a fighting game?

Is that favorable for casual or pro?

It changes the tier list based on how solo-viable a character is versus how easy a character is to learn as a secondary to cover bad matchups.

I think I answered you for a character-locked tournament, which is different. 

Explicit blind select hasn't been much of a thing, since you can only do it before a set happens. (Winner of previous round is locked in most games.)  And before a set happens, a player might simply wait until his opponent picks first and then counterpick, only invoking blind if his opponent then unselects. But by that time you've already tipped your hand. Now you're both in a 50/50.  Invoking bs hasn't helped your case any, and it just told your opponent you aren't confident in a matchup.

Regarding casual or pro I don't see how a difference could be made. 

6 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

What are the disadvantages and advantages of blind select and counter picking being allowed in a fighting game?

Is that favorable for casual or pro?

Thanks

There are a few variables.

Lets take this.
Player A is a known Ryu Main, he only plays Ryu, breathes Hadoken and opens doors with Tatsumakis.

What is a blind pick worth against him? You know he will Shoryuken you at the character select screen.

Blind picks don't do much in that area.

Now against someone who plays multiple characters it is worth something. 

Lets say you are a known Ken player, famous for your brasilian wifi, your opponent is Sugmar and he plays half the cast competetive. Now you don't know what the first match brings. He also has choices in case a MU is to spicy for him to handle, so he can resort to counterpicks.

Generaly counterpicking does little to casual and even in Pro circumstances it can vary in efficency.

Remember that Alex Valle beat I think it was Bonchans Sagat, with Hugo of all characters.

How about  a Street Fighter thats allows you to pick two characters instead?

That something like Rival School and Capcom Fighting Jam/Evolution

HDXliq2.gif

Where it does allow you to change character after each rounds so that you can play for another character for the next round.

What if that was introduce to Street Fighter V.

Does that make match up better or not?
Does that make the game complicated or complex?

Is that favorable for casual more or pro more?

What opportunity does it open?

What would be messed up?

Thanks

Edited by Shakunetsu
2 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

You could go over the unannounced nerfs she got in every patch of SF4 to quell that stupid"oh but she got buffed every patch" narrative bullshit.

I'm still steamed.

Man, the SFIV Juri buffs...... basically just bug fixes, with a shadow nerf sprinkled here and there.  It took them so long to fix her FSE normals and hitboxes.

6 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

Does that make match up better or not?
Does that make the game complicated or complex?

Is that favorable for casual more or pro more?

What opportunity does it open?

I feel like in the ultra competitive space, this could be a bad idea since it would reinforce the counterpick meta. It's the one thing I hate about some older games, personally. On the flip side, it could also strengthen a character loyalist/expert by being forced to play unfavorable matchups. Discovering new tech, strategies, etc. It also depends on if the standard is blind pick or not. Would meter resources carry over to the next round as well? I could only imagine how this format would work out online. At the very least, this idea would certainly test the balance of the game.

1) Not sure.

2) I think it makes it complicated. I don't think SFV is a polarizing game, but it's also an uphill battle for some of the cast. I could only imagine how many team comps will anchor with Luke lol. Winning on point with a character that can handle point and anchor would become crucial which either vastly changes the approach or slims the pickings a bit.

3) More favorable for casuals since it allows for more visual/aesthetic variety as a player and spectator but I could see how this could become interesting for competitive play in the ideal situation. (Tbh, I don't even really know what super casual players want. I would never play a fighting game for single player content alone.)

4) The main opportunity it opens is team composition in a 1v1 game. Makes it more like KOF imo, especially when we have to consider resource management. The team idea is interesting but requires refinement. I think the difference between how Capcom Fighting Evolution handled this compared to how SFV would have to is that resource management changed based on which character was next in CFE. It would switch from a Darkstalkers type meter to a 3rd strike meter and the balancing changed based on that. I don't believe there was ever a competitive scene for that game (if so, WHY) but I could only imagine over time that there would be some top tier combination of a character from Game A anchored by a character from Game B.

I would try it tho still.

38 minutes ago, elliephil said:

4) The main opportunity it opens is team composition in a 1v1 game. Makes it more like KOF imo, especially when we have to consider resource management. The team idea is interesting but requires refinement. I think the difference between how Capcom Fighting Evolution handled this compared to how SFV would have to is that resource management changed based on which character was next in CFE. It would switch from a Darkstalkers type meter to a 3rd strike meter and the balancing changed based on that. I don't believe there was ever a competitive scene for that game (if so, WHY) but I could only imagine over time that there would be some top tier combination of a character from Game A anchored by a character from Game B.

All of a sudden just realized that the recent Capcom collection skip that game again like it didn't exist 😞

"Friends of mine in the U.S., who are very close friends with the Lee family, have basically said that any kind of resemblance to Mr. Bruce Lee is now omitted for comedic effect," stated Lindholm. "It needs to be honorable."

"That's why we won't see Fei Long again. Ever," continued Lindholm. "It's a cool character type, but then you have Yun and these other guys from Street Fighter 3 to fill that void."

Well, this is disappointing to hear. 

I stopped posting because I was fed up with fighting games and the FGC and didn’t want anything to do with the genre for a bit. Unfortunately I just encountered the same off putting environments in other games/genres, just with less cool games. 

I’m going to give DNF duel and SF6 a try when they come out, but honestly im not sure how much longer im going to continue playing multiplayer games. But for time being I’ll still be hanging out here.

36 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I stopped posting because I was fed up with fighting games and the FGC and didn’t want anything to do with the genre for a bit. Unfortunately I just encountered the same off putting environments in other games/genres, just with less cool games. 

I’m going to give DNF duel and SF6 a try when they come out, but honestly im not sure how much longer im going to continue playing multiplayer games. But for time being I’ll still be hanging out here.

Well, just in case, for old times sake....

T7CEa7J.gif

7betiKS.gif

51 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Nice! I knew you were ok because I saw you online on Steam from time to time, but am happy to see you here.

I hope all is well man!

5 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Honestly I don't buy it. Jann Lee and Marshal Law were just in the latest iterations of their games. Seems like speculation presented as fact. Not to mention Fei Long was never presented for comedic effect if anything that would apply to Law.

I'm not clicking on that link, but sounds like a bunch of bs. There's constant references to him all the time in other games/media. Not to mention, Fei Long was always represented like the real Bruce Lee, action star martial artist. Not sure how that would be seen as distasteful or disingenuous to his memory from anyone's perspective.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/for-two-major-fighting-games-releases-in-a-row-the-ps5-versions-have-had-notably-more-input-latency-then-any-version.553810/page-3#post-86329868

Never thought we would be at a point debating online vs offline for competition, but looks like that they are trying to fix that. Does Unreal Engine 4 performance have anything to do with SFV netcode?