Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

I've been watching some of those Multiversus impression videos and I'm rather impressed. They put a lot of work and money into this project, the characters in particular are of exceptionally high quality when you see them move around, with Tom & Jerry being the standout. They're both impressive both in concept (they're fighting each other all the time and their flailing attacks hit the opponent) and execution.

I know you guys aren't keen on platform fighters (to put it mildly) but I'll give this game a try when it comes out. There's some stuff that seems a bit questionable (dodge on a resource, game balance in 2v2 focused fighter, potential monetization) but for the entrance fee of 0 bucks I think it deserves a chance.

Not to mention strive had a patch which increased the input buffer for reversals because it was too small for a lot of people.
There is a reason why we DO NOT post links to EH.

Edit: This is responding to the EH article Aries posted and the dumb thing from the article Pertho pointed out.
I didn't realize there was another page in the thread.

Edited by ZioSerpe
3 hours ago, delete_me said:

I know you guys aren't keen on platform fighters (to put it mildly) but I'll give this game a try when it comes out. There's some stuff that seems a bit questionable (dodge on a resource, game balance in 2v2 focused fighter, potential monetization) but for the entrance fee of 0 bucks I think it deserves a chance.

The game goes open beta in July. That's likely when I will try it out as I never have luck with sign ups. Hopefully they'll add MK characters to the roster by then

I like old games and all that, but I want new games.

17 minutes ago, ZioSerpe said:

When are we getting a global fuck you to capcom for holding franchises hostage behind glorified fightcade with possibly with netcode (looking at 30th anniversary collection)? 

this has always been the case with fighting games. Games never flop because the product of bad quality. The excuse by companies has always been "guess people didn't want to buy our bad netcode, poorly put together game".  Its better now than in 09, but FGs as a genre are essentially still holding people hostage that way.

8 hours ago, delete_me said:

I've been watching some of those Multiversus impression videos and I'm rather impressed. They put a lot of work and money into this project, the characters in particular are of exceptionally high quality when you see them move around, with Tom & Jerry being the standout. They're both impressive both in concept (they're fighting each other all the time and their flailing attacks hit the opponent) and execution.

It looks like a fantastic product, and like the Nickelodeon game was rushed as a copycat product when someone got wind of what WB was up to.

The super floaty physics is a bit of a turn off, like every character is Jigglypuff.  

Dodge being a resource makes sense considering spamming it online would be awful unless it were a bad move, and it allows actually cornering someone / checkmating them.  It's usually not possible to jail someone in a plat fighter already.

No idea if it'll have competitive legs or not, but it still looks great even if not.

3 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

What is funny is that the Dark Stalkers collection wasn't a flop like many people believe.

It debuted as the 7th highest selling game on the PSN, on the month that released march 2013, just behind Bioshock Infinite and the Tomb Raider reboot, games that sold like 1 million copies on the first 24h after their releases.

And if you actually look at the timeline and the evidence, you can see that the events that happened behind walls were more than just, oh the re release didnt sell well.

When the trailer of DS are not dead released, SFxT have not released yet, it was like a year before that.

According to Udon, capcom was working on a new DS project, which is why they rejected their pitch for a HD Remix for DS3.

Then SFxT released, flopped/didn't meet expectations.

Around that time, Capcom announces with a new trailer the re release of the old games.

A trailer that was used only for that announcement, one that was done at closed doors, a trailer that was never shown again and wasnt even put on the gallery for the Re release of the games.

It was a high quality trailer in the vein of the SFxT trailers, too much effort for a game of such small scope.

And a such a small scope game for something that was on production for more than 2 years by that point.

Everything pointed out that it was the failure of SFxT that made capcom have cold feet and very likely cancel or at least put on hold their plans for the new DarkStalkers.

Then add that some time after Ono left capcom, he revealed that the trailer wasn't for the re releases.

I don't doubt that Capcom tryied to gauge the interest on the series with the re releases, and very likely had stupid expectations.

But no.

If we look at the evidence, we can see that the ports very likely sold well enough that dismantles the notion that they flopped.

Also, that guy is not a shill.

Is a Battered Wife.

Edited by Hecatom
39 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Everything pointed out that it was the failure of SFxT that made capcom have cold feet and very likely cancel or at least put on hold their plans for the new DarkStalkers.

Then add that some time after Ono left capcom, he revealed that the trailer wasn't for the re releases.

Yeah it's likely that they won't release multiple fighters in a row now. It's really SFxT that is the cause 

Even fighting game companies doesn't do direct competition to each other anymore like in the 90s and early 2ks,  other than maintaining there brand uniqueness to each other.

I don't even think a new Capcom All Star or a new Capcom vs SNK would play like many expected. If you would even think about it there are multiple namco, snk and capcom crossover that weren't a fighting game in the first place.

6 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

The game goes open beta in July. That's likely when I will try it out as I never have luck with sign ups. Hopefully they'll add MK characters to the roster by then

My guess is the first post-release character will be Harry Potter. It's one of WB's biggest brands, it has enormous mainstream appeal and his addition might more or less coincide with the release of Hogwarts Legacy. If it's both him and another, more interesting character like Voldemort I'd be okay with it.

1 hour ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Dodge being a resource makes sense considering spamming it online would be awful unless it were a bad move, and it allows actually cornering someone / checkmating them.  It's usually not possible to jail someone in a plat fighter already.

Hm, the amount of damage people have to take in order to get back on the stage after being knocked off in Smash Bros. is usually quite substantial. But I admit I have a general distaste for movement abilities being limited by a resource, like the stamina bars in Souls games for example. But I'll see how it goes when I try this one out.

It reminds me when people were saying that fans should buy Sengoku Basara X to show capcom that there was interest on their fighting games and help Street Fighter IV odds.

🤣

As much as I love SBX, both projects were unrelated, and seeing how Capcom had it rushed and released in small quantities, is clear it was a small project for a niche audience in japan, who's performance was not going to affect SF4.

BTW, If capcom at least released the Dreamcast version, where all the characters were in the game, and you could choose between every version of every game prior the start of the round.

That would be awesome.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

It reminds me when people were saying that fans should buy Sengoku Basara X to show capcom that there was interest on their fighting games and help Street Fighter IV odds.

🤣

Capcom by that time was still releasing 1v1 fighters and various PVP games that either arena fighters, 2d.5 fighters or a spinoff of popular IP that is turned in a platform fighter.

It's obvious that it was the interest on the brand that made SF comeback because of Xbox live, Sota and Udon having a lot of noise along with Evo moment. Not by just purchasing a Fighting Game they made or publish with another popular IP.

it's likely Capcom will be gauging the interest of SF based on SF and past things that happened with SFXT launching close to MVC3 and SF4 sequels will never happened again.

Capcom even in a present time where crossover guesting is big, Capcom doesn't attempt to push Morrigan as guest character or include her as a guest character in other recent crossover they might as well give spotlight like to a new comer. Because they don't trust the franchise or they don't want it to compete with SF spotlight.

Edited by Shakunetsu
16 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

Capcom by that time was still releasing 1v1 fighters and various PVP games that either arena fighters, 2d.5 fighters or a spinoff of popular IP that is turned in a platform fighter.

Actually, by that time, they had not released any new fg since Capcom Fighting Evolution, on 2004.

SBX released on 2008.

7 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Actually, by that time, they had not released any new fg since Capcom Fighting Evolution, on 2004.

SBX released on 2008.

I mean those that are platform like the Viewtiful Joe and Onimusha along with the anime ps2 fighters they co-produce like Fate.

For what I understand, Capcom only published Fate Unlimited Codes.

But I could be wrong.

The game was done in arcades for the Namco arcade hardware, and iirc Capcom became involved for the console ports.

BTW, the game was done using the Renderware engine, from Criterion, the same engine for the Burnout Series.

Edited by Hecatom
28 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

I can't remember the exactly what i just remember was Capcom was involved and there was also another 2D.5 anime fightr that I can't remember the name the kid that does karate nd stay in a dojo,

You are talking about the Kenishi PS2 game, Shijō Saikyō no Deshi Kenichi: Gekitō! Ragnarok Hachikengō

That game was ass for what I remember.

Like outside the graphics, everything felt like a poor quality product.

The info regarding that game is kind of confusing.

Some places say capcom only published.

But others say that it was also developed by them.

It seems that it was s series of games, with Capcom making/publishing the 1st one.

2 hours ago, delete_me said:

Hm, the amount of damage people have to take in order to get back on the stage after being knocked off in Smash Bros. is usually quite substantial

That's both wildly character dependent, matchup dependent, and many times not worth it because chasing offstage can flip the tables on you if you miss.