Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

5 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

One of my favorite FG franchises tainted by Tekken, woe is me 😭

What an unholy abomination. What's next, MK11 with Smash Bros. skins? Watching this trailer gave me the same gross feeling I had when I translated some Harlequin-esque dime novel trash where the squeaky clean, pristine maiden princess is brutally deflowered by the lowbrow, uncouth village drunk.

7 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Dunno what are you smoking, because most games in the market are very good.

Even that garbage of Strive is an acceptable game.

Only capcom keeps fucking up, all the other companies have been killing it.

We have great variety right now for practically everyone.

The only new games I really still enjoy are Mvci and Melty Blood Type Lumina, both games that seem to be faced with ridicule by a lot of people and are slowly dwindling in player base as time goes on.

I did enjoy Tekken 7 but the patches and changes aren't fun to me anymore. Dbfz wasn't what I was expecting. I love street fighter but I think it hard to motivate myself to play sfv. 

There will probably never be an MvC game ever again but maybe some kind of team based fighter in the near future by Capcom.

I just find the new games boring. Like so boring I would rather be doing something else. Strive, sfv, dbfz, granblue, etc.

I remember how the SRK SFV Threads were 90% shitting on Capcom, then getting hyped for a new character/update, before returning to shitting on Capcom as they realised nothing has changed and SFV was still SFV.

Despite what my constant bitching might suggest, I actually love SF, but I am tired of Capcom making one fuck up after the other and their playerbase keeps giving them the message that everything is ok.

The competition is outdoing Capcom since years and they rely on nostalgia bias to stay relevant.

Reminds me of another Company.

SF4 wasn't a fuck-up, it was fine and revived the whole damn genre.  Don't be so mindlessly negative. 

I'm not one to go franchise hopping much, but Strive's netcode and general game-flow makes me perfectly happy to kick back in Arcsys's house for a few years. 

Maybe SF6 will move me, or not, maybe Riot Fighter will move me, or not, idc.   I only need one pretty good game per generation.  No game is perfect and if you hold out for perfection you're just gonna be a miserable creature your whole life. 

Watching combobreaker yesterday made me miss the existence of rarely-seen combos that have great reward but are so executionally demanding even pros abstain unless they must attempt it.   

16 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

No game is perfect and if you hold out for perfection you're just gonna be a miserable creature your whole life. 

Are you actually saying that someone will end up a “miserable creature your whole life” because they can’t find a video game exactly how they want? 

Take a step a recognize how ridiculous you sound

Edited by Vhozite

I'm not expecting perfection. I only want a game that I will like playing again that isn't something I've been playing for nearly 20 years already. I enjoyed 3s and mvc2. Then I enjoyed Sf4 and mvc3 for their lifespan.  I've tried so many new games trying to enjoy them. The longest it lasted for this gen was Tekken 7 and then covid happened and I was not down for online haha.

40 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

SF4 wasn't a fuck-up, it was fine and revived the whole damn genre.  Don't be so mindlessly negative. 

I'm not one to go franchise hopping much, but Strive's netcode and general game-flow makes me perfectly happy to kick back in Arcsys's house for a few years. 

Maybe SF6 will move me, or not, maybe Riot Fighter will move me, or not, idc.   I only need one pretty good game per generation.  No game is perfect and if you hold out for perfection you're just gonna be a miserable creature your whole life. 

Watching combobreaker yesterday made me miss the existence of rarely-seen combos that have great reward but are so executionally demanding even pros abstain unless they must attempt it.   

Every time i see the "revived the genre" line i cringe quite a bit, because is so reductive of what was actually happening around the time.

SF4 came out at a time where

1) The rise of smartphones ws happening

2) Social Media were starting to become a thing, reddit, facebook, twitter, etc.

3) Better online bandwidths across the globe, and better infrastructure in many places

4) The release of consoles with online capabilities from the go, yes the og Xbox was capable of it, but online gaming wasn't starting to become more prevalent until way later its life cycle and around the beginning of the 360 and ps3 era

5) The rise of youtube, twitch and other streaming services that made more easy for people around the globe to gather online and watch tournaments, gatherings, weeklies, etc.

5.1) The rise of streaming culture.

6) Esports becoming more mainstream

7) All the other companies were already doing their own games, they didn't jump into making them because SF4 was released.

Tekken 6, SC4, MK9, BBCT, etc were going to release regardless SF released or not.

And many other stuff.

Remove all of that and the supposed revival of the fgs by the hands of SF4 wouldnt have been a thing.

The growth that the FGCs had were not isolated to just them.

We also saw similar phenomenon happen for Sports games, Shooters, Racing games, etc.

Also, who the fuck was talking about SFIV? 🤣

We were talking about Capcom consecutive failures, SFxT, SFV and MVCI, each for their own reasons.

I would even add MVC3 and UMVC3 simply because the circumstances at the time, that forced Capcom to release UMVC3 8 months after MVC3, in the same fucking year, killed any momentum that MVC3 had, since UMVC3 was announced around 3 months after vanilla's release, and it soured a lot of potential buyers for UMVC3.

Due how well received the game was on the USA fgc people don't like to talk about how the MVC3 games also failed to meet expectations in the eyes of capcom for quite some time.

BTW, since you brought up SFIV, the series kind of peaked on Super, sales wise.

After that each revision sold less and less and the perception about the game after super started to slowly shift.

By the time that SFV came out almost everyone was happy to move on and abandon the game

Edited by Hecatom

If SF6 launches as a technically accomplished product that also feels complete in terms of content (features, game modes, roster) then Capcom already won half the battle. The "I'll wait for the Super/Ultra version" meme comments on the web – no matter how pointless they are because those people usually don't go back to an "old" game anyway – have become a bit of a perception problem for the SF series and to get over that issue they need to come out with a game that gives you something to do, no matter how casual or hardcore you approach a fighting game or whether you want to play online or offline. Of course it will get a truckload of DLC over the next years (without FM, thanks haters), but the initial impression has to be that it's worth your time and money, which SFV very obviously was not except for the über-hardcore.

But I think modern Capcom is smart enough to know this. I'm actually kind of optimistic overall about SF6. My only worry at the moment is the artstyle, I really hope it looks more inviting and unique than the teaser suggested.

8 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

SFIV did not revive the whole damn genre, it revived SF.

A lot of games, like Tekken just carried on like normal their whole life and Tekken was never unsucessful. Heck Tekken 5 came out as FGs were "dead"

I ain't franchise hopping either, but I ain't playing bad games anymore or games I don't enjoy just because they are new.
I think Strive is a bad game, I don't like the Online System, I don't like the gameplay flow, I don't like how the game plays overall.

Got Godlike Netcode and good graphics tho.

I don't want perfection, I want something thats fun and I haven't had one new release since 2016, save for GB but the constant nerfing made that unfun too, where I had fun.

SF's niche is still intact, it's really up to Capcom to make SF6 worth it and pull off a comeback.

With that said, the other companies have been dropping heat. SFV being wack blew the doors open for GOATsys to finally get the shine it deserves.

It's never been a better time to be a legacy game player either with pretty much all classics having excellent netcode.

Outside of Twitter and eSports shenanigans, the FGC has never eaten this good. 

12 hours ago, Mr.Cipher said:

I remember how the SRK SFV Threads were 90% shitting on Capcom, then getting hyped for a new character/update, before returning to shitting on Capcom as they realised nothing has changed and SFV was still SFV.

Despite what my constant bitching might suggest, I actually love SF, but I am tired of Capcom making one fuck up after the other and their playerbase keeps giving them the message that everything is ok.

The competition is outdoing Capcom since years and they rely on nostalgia bias to stay relevant.

Reminds me of another Company.

As SF fan i will EVER be hyped for more SF stuff

Well till the day SF visually fully sell the anus to the western market (a western market imagined by capcom people) and looks like a MK shit, but lucky it seems not even the apparently ugly SF6 dived that far

So my hype is still there

OMG Luke giving shitty DMCV realistic faces vibes in the trailer, but still hyped. Kinda. I guess

Thing is SF fan love SF but at same time can see SF may never reach it's full potential as brand because capcom douchebags, one thing does'nt deny the other, there's no contradiction

If anything, if you love something and you know who's handling it sucks, you hate that person in name of that love

Still, with all up and downs in quality i ultimately liked these years with SFV and i think had also lot of things done right (just like many done wrong), sorry if i don't buy dat FGC mantra that say you MUST hate SFV

Lot in SFV is done with mediocrity and as fan it make me sad, but i also doubt current capcom can do better without bring with this additional effort also lot of marketing cancer

The playerbase is'nt "giving them the message that everything is ok", as you said the community complain a lot and does it on multiple social media channels, and if the message to send is to not buy the game so they will put more effort on next one, we may see two different capcoms

The Capcom in my planet still have is a company scared as fuck to look "too japanese", show zero pride in it's glorious past and these days only dream about suck the american consumer

CAPCOM BEAT 'EM UP BUNDLE Manuale Web ufficiale

Horny Full Metal Jacket GIF - Horny Full Metal Jacket Me So Horny -  Discover & Share GIFs

And while i'm talking about aesthetic because even as lifelong fan i'm a casual under competitive gaming perspective, seems to me also on gameplay side they're more than willing to drop the original fans in the name of a new wider market anytime without think twice, if you give them good enough reason

I don't trust this Capcom we have in our planet to fair admit it's faults and properly try to return to us with better product next time

I also don't trust good taste fans that wish we can stick to high niche quality (be it aesthetic or gameplay) have enough weight to even try such blackmail, we would only furthermore lose importance as target audience

Not saying SF would die if fans boycott it, but i very doubt they will return to us with better product next time, probably the opposite,  they will return with something that target a different audience... and even if it's a shit taste one, as soon it sells under their perspective it's the right move

I already live in a world where SF6 trailer is about Neogaf HotRyu facing Jake Paul in some esport themed bullshit, ending with SF logo being raped, not sure my SF fan heart would survive one single step below

Tbh i believe the community with SFV did exactly what should have done, be there and keep point out what does'nt work, the shame for SFV mediocre side is all on Capcom having no more pride on what they do.

But as fan you can't fix that, sure as fuck not by boycotting

If SF will ever reach the point i don't consider it worth buy, i will not buy it... but that will likely mean i'm just done with SF, not that i'm sending a message and expecting as result to see them to do better next time

12 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

The playerbase is'nt "giving them the message that everything is ok", as you said the community complain a lot and does it on multiple social media channels, and if the message to send is to not buy the game so they will put more effort on next one, we may see two different capcoms

Did you still play the game? Did you still buy DLC?
If you answer one of these with yes, you told them everything is fine.

The only way you can make a company like this listen is by hitting them in the only spot where it hurts, their money income.

As WoW went into a direction I didn't like, I made a list and stop'd playing

Same with LOTRO, same with SF, same with every game I stoped playing.

Unless you hurt them in their money income they will not change, some will never change, even when they lose 60% of their playerbase to a concurrence product.

Edited by Mr.Cipher
44 minutes ago, ZioSerpe said:

"let's all buy the capcom fighting game collection so we get a new darkstalkers game"
Totally sending that "we don't like what you're doing" message to capcom there

Yeah this is kind of a bad situation all around, because there is no way to guarantee Capcom gets the intended message. Buying the collection may come across as “we want more Darkstalkers”, but it can also be taken as “people will keep buying our shitty rereleases so we don’t need to actually make a new game”.

The problem is that not buying the collection has the same effect. Not buying it because you don’t actually want it is completely valid, but then some shit in Japan says “oh people aren’t interested in Darkstalkers” and then they put the series 6ft deeper. 

Not saying to just buy anything even if you don’t want it, just that not buying because of xyz doesnt always have the intended outcome. This phenomenon isn’t unique to Capcom or even Japan.

16 minutes ago, Sonero said:

I don't think any of you guys know what you want out of a Street Fighter game.

Something in the direction of ST and/or Alpha 2.

6 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Yeah this is kind of a bad situation all around, because there is no way to guarantee Capcom gets the intended message. Buying the collection may come across as “we want more Darkstalkers”, but it can also be taken as “people will keep buying our shitty rereleases so we don’t need to actually make a new game”.

The problem is that not buying the collection has the same effect. Not buying it because you don’t actually want it is completely valid, but then some shit in Japan says “oh people aren’t interested in Darkstalkers” and then they put the series 6ft deeper. 

Not saying to just buy anything even if you don’t want it, just that not buying because of xyz doesnt always have the intended outcome. This phenomenon isn’t unique to Capcom or even Japan.

You also have to take into consideration that they simply tell lies all the time.

Hey buy The FG Collection for a new DS!
Haha, I cannot believe these imbeciles feel for it again!
Ah sorry, there is not enough interest to make a new DS game!
Proceedes to count the money behind his back.

28 minutes ago, Sonero said:

I know exactly what I want out of a SF game.

1. SF4 tier buttons (or better)

2. Good walk speeds

3. Non-retarded speed dashes

4. No (heavy handed) comeback mechanics

5. Diversity/Healthy balance of viable playstyles (read: encouraged to do anything besides generic rushdown)

6. Modern game amenities (decent visuals, cross play, rollback, etc)

7. Roster size no bigger than the low 30’s

I can get more specific, but this is just an offhand comment typing at work. I could write a Dime-length dissertation on every bullet point.

My issue is that even if this game was released today 99% of players would bitch about it until the devs killed what I like about the game.

Edited by Vhozite

GameInformer interviewed Shuhei Matsumoto, Fighting Collection (and SFV iirc) producer and asked about this, and he gave a surprisingly honest answer.

"GI: Does the inclusion of series like Darkstalkers, Cyberbots, and Red Earth increase the chance of a revival of any of these series in the future?

Matsumoto: I genuinely want these titles to be played once again on current gen consoles. I also want people who may have seen them but never had the chance to play them to get this opportunity. That said, we do not think that this will necessarily increase the possibility of these series being revived."

3 minutes ago, JustBrowsing said:

GameInformer interviewed Shuhei Matsumoto, Fighting Collection (and SFV iirc) producer and asked about this, and he gave a surprisingly honest answer.

"GI: Does the inclusion of series like Darkstalkers, Cyberbots, and Red Earth increase the chance of a revival of any of these series in the future?

Matsumoto: I genuinely want these titles to be played once again on current gen consoles. I also want people who may have seen them but never had the chance to play them to get this opportunity. That said, we do not think that this will necessarily increase the possibility of these series being revived."

Ah so don’t buy that shit then got it 👍🏽 

35 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I don't think there's a realistic scenario in which this collection could lead to a new, fully fledged Darkstalkers sequel with the expected production values of this day and age. I think Darkstalkers died after the PS360 generation, when development budgets started to completely spiral out of control. Back then they could probably have done it and Capcom also wasn't afraid to have multiple fighting game on the market at the same time – but in this day and age I just don't see it happening anymore. 

I might pick up the colection because I actually never played these games before, but that's the only reason, not in the hopes of having something new come out in the distant future. 

Edit: wow, ok, guess I was right. I respect the honesty though. The product is the product, don't get too philosophical about it.

Edited by delete_me
6 hours ago, Mr.Cipher said:

I don't want perfection, I want something thats fun and I haven't had one new release since 2016, save for GB but the constant nerfing made that unfun too, where I had fun.

There are a lot of nerfs that have been reversed back with recent patches.

Plus, like the post Aries made, the game will get an overhaul with new mechanics.

I think the game is in a good place right now, and hopefully this new patch will improve it even more.

(Fingers crossed for rollback.)

42 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

2. Good walk speeds

5. Diversity/Healthy balance of viable playstyles (read: encouraged to do anything besides generic rushdown)

I can get more specific, but this is just an offhand comment typing at work. I could write a Dime-length dissertation on every bullet point.

My issue is that even if this game was released today 99% of players would bitch about it until the devs killed what I like about the game.

I can tell you right now that's not going to happen. Season's are a thing now in fighters. So I'd be surprised if SF6 doesn't crack the 40 mark when all is said and done.

5 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

There are a lot of nerfs that have been reversed back with recent patches.

Plus, like the post Aries made, the game will get an overhaul with new mechanics.

I think the game is in a good place right now, and hopefully this new patch will improve it even more.

(Fingers crossed for rollback.)

tbh. I was asking a friend recently what they changed.

He said, they reverted a lot of stuff, I just wish they had Rollback at this point.

Granblue was actually something I really loved, it was simple, yet allowed creativity, then they started nerfing literally everything.

Plus as Yuel was released I was really hyped for once, since I like Yuel.

I'll wait a bit more, DNF Duel is end of June as well.

5 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I can tell you right now that's not going to happen. 

Which is cool…I’m aware I won’t get what I want. But my list having a 0% chance of existing is not the same as me not knowing what I want from a game.

57 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

2. Good walk speeds

Some of those stuff will be difficult not to get by this point since Capcom will keep doubling down on it (the comeback mechanics)

Or in the case of the size of the roster are inevitable due the nature of the lieve service like of how the games get updated now.

If SF6 is a game that get supported for years and gets at least 4 chars per season pass, it will naturally grow bigger than 30 chars.

Also, this imo is not really an issue.

Since competitive play will always default to small subsets regardless of how viable or not is the entire roster.

33 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Also, this imo is not really an issue.

Since competitive play will always default to small subsets regardless of how viable or not is the entire roster.

I don’t want a large roster because based on their last release Capcom (and NRS) can’t sustain a roster than size without heavily dipping into the copy/paste bin. If this was ArcSys or LabZero where I had faith the dev could churn out wholly unique characters the conversation would be different. 

Also roster size in easily the most flexible demand on my 5 minute list. Not a hill I’d die on, but the original comment wasn’t about what I actually expect in SF6.

Edited by Vhozite

Call me an insane deluded optimist who has no idea what he's talking about, but with Marvel's permanent demise Darkstalkers is the most likely fighting game franchise to make a comeback unless Capcom decides that Street Fighter will be the only fighting game they will ever support. Darkstalkers is niche but its designs are extremely iconic and the series is beloved, Capcom loves to shove Morrigan on a lot of stuff so at least the potential is there, the series isn't forgotten or anything.

Now, of course, the problem is that Street Fighter remaining the only fighting game Capcom really supports is a pretty realistic and likely scenario, but I recall that Capcom's original plans for esports weren't supposed to be limited to just Street Fighter, it's "Capcom Pro Tour" and not "Street Fighter Pro Tour", so it seems to me that adding more games to the lineup was always planned but always failed to be realized. If they're still planning to have more than one game on the Capcom Pro Tour then Darkstalkers is the most likely series to be revived for that purpose since Marvel is dead and everything else is even more niche.

That, or they replace Marvel with a Capcom All Stars team game.

2 hours ago, Sonero said:

My mother always said that is ok to not know what you want as long as you know what you don't want.

Of course, she said that to me when talking about what do I seek in my couple prospects, but it also applies to fighting games 🤣

Edit

In my case, instead of a new SF, I would be happy with a new Battle Fantasia, since it gave me what I wanted from a SF game.

I would be happy with a ps4/ps5 re release with rollback.

That or a re release of CVS2 with rollback, since I prefer that series over SF

Edited by Hecatom
12 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Call me an insane deluded optimist who has no idea what he's talking about, but with Marvel's permanent demise Darkstalkers is the most likely fighting game franchise to make a comeback unless Capcom decides that Street Fighter will be the only fighting game they will ever support. Darkstalkers is niche but its designs are extremely iconic and the series is beloved, Capcom loves to shove Morrigan on a lot of stuff so at least the potential is there, the series isn't forgotten or anything.

Now, of course, the problem is that Street Fighter remaining the only fighting game Capcom really supports is a pretty realistic and likely scenario, but I recall that Capcom's original plans for esports weren't supposed to be limited to just Street Fighter, it's "Capcom Pro Tour" and not "Street Fighter Pro Tour", so it seems to me that adding more games to the lineup was always planned but always failed to be realized. If they're still planning to have more than one game on the Capcom Pro Tour then Darkstalkers is the most likely series to be revived for that purpose since Marvel is dead and everything else is even more niche.

That, or they replace Marvel with a Capcom All Stars team game.

Another game that has a potential to get a new entry is Rival Schools.

Itsuno worked on the series as the director back in the day, and he has been saying that he wants to make a 3rd entry of it because he thinks that is unfair that the cast has not received their final game, the graduation year.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018/sep/23/id-love-make-rival-school-3-hideaki-itsuno-not-only-wants-new-entry-he-already-has-great-idea-it-well/

https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/column-130231

Is not 100% guaranteed, but I say that it has a decent chance of happening, since his track record has been really good on the company so far.

According to him he want to make also a new Alpha, a new Power Stone and even has expressed the desire of making SF6.

We know that he is currently working on Dragons Dogma 🙏

I hope it sells well enough that he is granted permission on working on a new Rival Schools 😅

Also, on the subject of DS.

The games were probably niche when they released, but their merchandise is one of the top selling from capcom's catalog.

Every year we keep getting new stuff like figures of different chars, new comics from udon (I think they released a new one this year centered around Morrigan) and the re releases of the ovas.

People really need to look deep in the heart, realize they never really played any of the Darkstalkers games that way, when new games come out they don't really commit to them all that much and understand that if a new one came out, they probably wouldn't buy it.

And that's okay.

🙏

8 minutes ago, Sonero said:

People really need to look deep in the heart, realize they never really played any of the Darkstalkers games that way, when new games come out they don't really commit to them all that much and understand that if a new one came out, they probably wouldn't buy it.

And that's okay.

🙏

You kidding? The goal is to buy the game then never play it

Edited by Vhozite