Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

39 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

This is why I think I'm going to stick to the park for awhile. 

Seems like every time I hit the park, I end up finding someone and playing at least 10 games, and people seem to be less concerned with match-ups in the park. 

If I (may main, baby) try to connect with someone already at a station in the towers, they'll deny me half the time. 

Since wins don't really matter in the Park, people will actually play the MU

Yeah you're way more likely to get long sets in the park. Between floor hops and people not wanting to lose sets getting rematches in the ranked towers seems to be more rare.

The match up dodging definitely sucks. Unfortunately I don't see that going anywhere, with what they'd have to change to resolve that. But I do think it would be good for the devs to consider it. 

The biggest issue I've run into in the parks is that it feels like the pairs never rotate. I don't know if that is because people are doing what the MS crew does and they are using the parks as a meet up location in lieu of player lobbies, or if its just the nature of infinite rematches. I had more luck just putting myself into training mode to find a random opponent, though of course that has the issue where if it finds a match but then the match fails to connect it boots me all the way back to the lobby.

Thankfully the servers so rarely have issues connecting matches.

😑

21 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

The match up dodging definitely sucks. Unfortunately I don't see that going anywhere, with what they'd have to change to resolve that. But I do think it would be good for the devs to consider it. 

That'd be really simple to fix.

Just don't show the character's pic in Ranked.

Honestly, it bothers me that they went with that SFV method of setting everything beforehand. Makes changing characters a hassle since you gotta go allll the way back to the lobby, watch your character twitch on the ground like he got stabbed, get up, then you get to pick a new character, then you can try again, hopefully with no connection errors.

Meanwhile, some asshole probably already stole your spot or the dude already left thinking you gave up. 🤣

1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

If I (may main, baby) try to connect with someone already at a station in the towers, they'll deny me half the time. 

Lol.  Ky mains never have that problem. 

Even with each other. The mirror match has become one of my favorite MUs. I can't think of another game where that has ever happened.  

Personally I treat the tower as the park.  Why not?  Show me your best stuff.

15 minutes ago, Volt said:

Honestly, it bothers me that they went with that SFV method of setting everything beforehand. Makes changing characters a hassle since you gotta go allll the way back to the lobby, watch your character twitch on the ground like he got stabbed, get up, then you get to pick a new character, then you can try again, hopefully with no connection errors.

Meanwhile, some asshole probably already stole your spot or the dude already left thinking you gave up. 🤣

You actually have to cut out two layers: you have to kill the monitor and you need to cut out the pre-match screen where you confirm. Otherwise people are either going to dodge based on monitor character or dodge based on the wanted poster.

I agree that neither of those changes are huge but I'd bet that updating their architecture to do that will take them some time. And its not like they still don't need to be working on stability first, or that they're going to pump the brakes on their post-launch content.

Also ideally you can curb the issue with a character balance patch at some point. You'll always have duckers but given the state of things its not surprising to see people scrambling away from Sol/May/Ram/Chipp when they can.

8 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

You actually have to cut out two layers: you have to kill the monitor and you need to cut out the pre-match screen where you confirm. Otherwise people are either going to dodge based on monitor character or dodge based on the wanted poster.

I agree that neither of those changes are huge but I'd bet that updating their architecture to do that will take them some time. And its not like they still don't need to be working on stability first, or that they're going to pump the brakes on their post-launch content.

Also ideally you can curb the issue with a character balance patch at some point. You'll always have duckers but given the state of things its not surprising to see people scrambling away from Sol/May/Ram/Chipp when they can.

It's much easier than you think.

Just put a default non-descript pic instead of showing the character pic.

ArcSys could even make some bread out of it by pushing out some artwork that you can pick for your wanted poster as an extra fishing thing or straight up cosmetic DLC.

People dodging characters will always be an issue on the current state of the game.

5 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

While we're on the subject...

Strive needs a character rank and an overall rank. Cause if you wanna try a new character, you're Tower floor can be dissolved pretty quick. 

Plus it would be nice to know if I'm playing someone's main or not

Isn't the level thing based on character with the tower as the generic rank?

9 minutes ago, Volt said:

Isn't the level thing based on character with the tower as the generic rank?

Yeah, it is, so it kinda has it already. What I'm saying is, If I'm a floor 10 Sol, if  I wanna take my I-no for a spin in the tower, I have to play on floor 10. 

I'm saying it should consider your character level when determining what floors you're allowed on. So 240k Sol is locked on floor 10. 20k I-no can chill on floor 6 if they want. 

Floor leveling would be faster for the I-No cause the overall rank is already higher, but lower floors should be open to your new characters. That also adds to the stunting ability:

"I got 6 characters in heaven, suck my ballz" 

7 minutes ago, Volt said:

It's much easier than you think.

Just put a default non-descript pic instead of showing the character pic.

ArcSys could even make some bread out of it by pushing out some artwork that you can pick for your wanted poster as an extra fishing thing or straight up cosmetic DLC.

People dodging characters will always be an issue on the current state of the game.

Lemme take a different track.

I'm a programmer and the project I'm on right now sort of has that nice "video game development death march" feel so I'm very sympathetic to how easy something looks to be to change vs. how much of a goddamn nightmare it may be to change something because of the way a system was designed/there is no time/there are no resources/whatever reason.

I totally agree that neither of those changes should be especially difficult. However without knowing what their code looks like, how their dev pipeline is set up, what their developer timelines look like, what their staff schedule is, what their future workload looks like, etc., I usually take the stance of "well that shouldn't be too hard but I dunno the reality of the situation." 🙂 

It may also be bias but videogames in general seem to have really clusterfuck-y dev schedules so going back to update anything is always a bigger ask than you'd think (since most games now are based around a tail of updates keeping players engaged).

And yeah I'm totally with Tubb that the rankings should be character specific. Its not like you don't fly up the towers if you're bopping people so you don't really need to worry about some multiple VIP duder terrorizing floor 5 or whatever because they switched to Axl for the day.

1 hour ago, Volt said:

Honestly, it bothers me that they went with that SFV method of setting everything beforehand.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don’t really mind this. SF4, Samsho, MKX, MK11, Injustice. Every one of those games had a group of those assholes that would time out the character select. In SF4, I had to wait for 60 seconds before finally getting to play. I’m fine with picking the character beforehand if it meant I never had to deal with the moron on the other side ever again.

1 hour ago, Volt said:

Honestly, it bothers me that they went with that SFV method of setting everything beforehand.

Its more of a hassle to change it in Strive than in SF5. But that's the best for running long sets. Like BornWinner said, F having to look at the char select screen if I can help it. Not like these mofos can play the one character they pick, they sure as hell aren't putting time to learn two or more.

Stick to the one you're bad with.

1 hour ago, Volt said:

Never mind that a ranked mode where you can pick and choose your opponents to play only favorable matchups is just plain stupid to begin with.

6 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don’t really mind this. SF4, Samsho, MKX, MK11, Injustice. Every one of those games had a group of those assholes that would time out the character select. In SF4, I had to wait for 60 seconds before finally getting to play. I’m fine with picking the character beforehand if it meant I never had to deal with the moron on the other side ever again.

Just make the timer short. 15~20 secs is more than enough to pick a character/stage.

30 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

I totally agree that neither of those changes should be especially difficult. However without knowing what their code looks like, how their dev pipeline is set up, what their developer timelines look like, what their staff schedule is, what their future workload looks like, etc., I usually take the stance of "well that shouldn't be too hard but I dunno the reality of the situation." 🙂 

Yeah, good point. 👍

5 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Its more of a hassle to change it in Strive than in SF5. But that's the best for running long sets. Like BornWinner said, F having to look at the char select screen if I can help it. Not like these mofos can play the one character they pick, they sure as hell aren't putting time to learn two or more.

Stick to the one you're bad with.

*Thinking of a comeback to that.*

4 hours ago, KingTubb said:

I'm saying it should consider your character level when determining what floors you're allowed on. So 240k Sol is locked on floor 10. 20k I-no can chill on floor 6 if they want.

I wouldn't think it'd be more than one or two floors difference. If you can glue together a pair of two hit combos with RC with one character you can do it with the whole cast.  If you know where the holes are in your opponents offense they're still holes for most of the cast.

I think it would be a good idea if only so people start thinking the game is rating their character rather than rating the gamer.  Might see less rank scumming and MU dodging since it's now the characters' issue not the player's.

3 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

Does ArcSys historically release strong or weak DLC characters?

Its been a mixed bag. I don't think they intentionally release the game gimped or purposefully overpowered. Some pan out, others not so much. Some of the last DLC characters for BBTag were hella top tier. Last Batch of Xrd characters, Johnny made it all the way to the top. But it wasn't an across the board guarantee.

1 hour ago, HeavensCloud said:

Does ArcSys historically release strong or weak DLC characters?

Like Sonero said, it’s a mixed bag.

Spoiler

Blazblue Continuum Shift (Makoto, Valkenhein, and Platnium) cast of DLC wasn’t too noteworthy at release. Makoto would ended up being one of the best characters in the updated CS. Terumi was garbage in Blazblue CP but Kokonoe in the same game was and still probably is the strongest characters in the series. There was no reason to not use her. Jubei in the next game wasn’t too special though.

Elphelt is kind of DLC(being a pre-order/first print bonus where if you missed it, you had to buy her), but she has been insane since release and her terror never was able to be stopped in later Xrd’s. Leo was nothing special. Kum was also nothing special Xrd Rev. If you count Xrd Rev 2 as DLC, then Baiken was seen weak as first until a bit later. Answer however  would have been the worst character in the game if Potemkin didn’t exist.

Getting into games that aren’t technically ArcSys games, Dragonball Fighterz always had one character that stood above the rest. Bar dock in season 1, Kid Goku in season 2, and Ultra Instinct Goku in season 3. The rest of the characters were never seen as too strong, but not bad either. Except for Broly, Jiren, and Videl. Those characters were trash on release.

My knowledge on Granblue is not much but it seems the DLC for it was pretty well balanced. The only outliers that Soriz was garbage and that Belial was OP. None of the other characters had a reaction like those two. I think there was Top 8s full of Belial after he came out.

As you can see, it’s all over the place whenever a DLC character from ArcSys is the absolute best or just not worth it.

Edited by BornWinner
1 hour ago, Sonero said:

Its been a mixed bag. I don't think they intentionally release the game gimped or purposefully overpowered. Some pan out, others not so much. Some of the last DLC characters for BBTag were hella top tier. Last Batch of Xrd characters, Johnny made it all the way to the top. But it wasn't an across the board guarantee.

Not on purpose I think, but there was Kokonoe in BBCP.

Elphelt has also been stupidly good troughout Xrds lifecycle.

2 hours ago, Skort said:

Quite interesting. Respectable effort on some of them. 

I do wonder how many people worked on these ports / fake SF games back in the day. I actually looked up how these old games used to be coded back then and shit wasn't easy at all.  Assembly language makes you pull out your hair.

when i was a kid i liked the yoko one 

there is also a new port in the works 

6 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

We have it from Oda that they are looking into rollback for KOF15 .

Hopefully its good. Bad games are bad for the scene in general. Unplayable ones are even more disappointing.

But at this point we're squarely in new territory with Strive having rollback. NRS going out of their way to upgrade the netcode of an old game was pretty amazing of them. But having a Japanese developer bend over backwards to what fans outside of their country want turns the market on its head.

It'd be weird if SNK didn't after retrofitting Garou and 5P with it. They should have Code Mystics on call to help them add their witchcraft to all of their new releases going forward.

SF6 is going to be in that interesting position again. They're putting in dev time while other companies take their offerings more seriously. Whoever is producing that game better have a solid list of priorities or things are gonna be extra wack.

As long as some of these games have been around I feel like the devs should have some idea of who will and won’t be good. Maybe they’re balancing based on metrics we can’t see but i feel like you have to be willingly ignorant if you make a game and not know who’s gonna be good. FGs been around too long for that.

SNK are mostly more progressive and risktakers than any FGs since before. that's why I admired them.

NRS was the better on content and worldbuilding even wayback.

Bamco is just a huge company. 

Arcsys is something I preferred for the aesthetics and sound. Even I'm not a fan of its. It's like those things they do is something I wished Capcom would do with SF.

while Capcom is just something i have a strong nostalgia and i am a fan of the artstyle. Capcom is like Apple just waiting for other companies lol

What are your thoughts about this video?

Here is my personal opinion

I understand and agree with the sound, ost, effects(hitsparks) , netcode and new intro

but asking

1.) new cool character is like asking new game

2.) cinematic game mechanics like rage art

3.) asking new animation of moves because it's dated lol

4.) Characters are dull not trendy 

that's a new thing not really remaster basically asking for a sequel and the intention of rereleasing VF isn't even to be in the standard and should not be compare with the current tekken or compete with strive

I think this is over the top sarcasm like expecting the standard to be along the level  of guilty gear? It's a remaster lol. Fair comparison is HD remix, Vampire Savior Collection, Ultra Sf2 and Tekken Tag HD

KOF has 02UM and 98UM but those are like made in early 2000 and it's 2d

VF rerelease has dull characters because it's a remaster not a new game.

This kind of opinion is either a bait to challenge sega to release a new VF game but the other side of the coin is either put VF in total hiatus for future console because it wouldn't be appreciated or compete with Tekken. Not a good joke and troll bait.

Edited by Shakunetsu
3 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

Here is my personal opinion

I understand and agree with the sound, ost, effects(hitsparks) , netcode and new intro

but asking

1.) new cool character is like asking new game

2.) cinematic game mechanics like rage art

3.) asking new animation of moves because it's dated lol

Here is one of the youtube comments on that vid:

"To be fair, this release was basically a few dudes at Sega who worked on Yakuza (and putting VF5 into that game) deciding to remaster it a bit. So it being low budge is understandable."

I swear I liked this scene better when it was smaller. All of that "remastering" costs money. Hell finding old assets and then making them reusable costs money. Spending money on the google solution to netcode costs money. This wasn't a throw away port; not when they made sure you could set it to have the old graphics and all that.

People saying this type of stuff are the same assholes that wanna see games ruined. LIke the best hot take of "capcom should release Third Strike but rebalance it". Well great then they wouldn't be releasing Third Strike anymore.

There's to that but I don't feel like typing a whole 3,000 words on why this video is trash and TMM's audience walks around with their mouths open.

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

There's to that but I don't feel like typing a whole 3,000 words on why this video is trash and TMM's audience walks around with their mouths open.

This was the first time I have seen this guy, Since I'm not following the VF and Tekken scene.  I was expecting something like technical details and constructive criticism because he has some defenders in an fb group where I have seen it posted but it's like some random comment of eventhubs having over the top request and unrealistic expectation haha

5 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

What are your thoughts about this video?

I have a feeling TMM's viewership is dropping with T7 being 5 years old and Strive hogging all the attention of the collective FGC. 

The whole video felt like grasping at straws to have a "hot take" to get people talking about it. Guess it worked, cause this is the first TMM vid I've watched in a loooong time. 

The whole thing had a weird desperate vibe to it of making mountains out of mole hills. 

6 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

I didn't watch and have never heard of the channel but c'mon.  Dull characters aren't a port problem, it's a franchise problem. VF has always been more tech demo than product. 

Sounds like this 'toober just doesn't like VF at all. Which is the correct opinion but for the wrong reasons + thinking it has anything to do with a particular port. 

2 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Dull characters aren't a port problem, it's a franchise problem. VF has always been more tech demo than product. 

Nah, VF has a dope story. The characters are way less dull when you play them too.

Think the issue (with me too because I used to share this opinion) is that the overwhelming majority of western audiences didn't really play the game that heavy. So we know basically nothing of the stories or personalities. All the win quotes that would let us know whats up basically went unread by a lot of FGC people so it seems that way.

Until you tell people that the ninja guy is trying to save his mother who was turned Into a fighting robot by an evil corporation. VF story us kinda crazy.