Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

If Poison could do her whips in the air, she would be extra ridiculous. Her air whip normals are crazy enough. But her jumping and hitting you more than half screen for chip damage from the air that you had to hold?

👀

Also holy shit Capcom, Goldlewis looks way cooler than Oro and Akira combined. C'mon guy, stop getting punched in the face. 😭

Here a question

In SFV shoto clone had been more distinctive from each other than before.

What do you think with the change with Ken?

Do he need to change more than before or is his change in SFV is okay already?

How about Akuma?

I have said my thought on Akuma before by removing his standard ground hadouken, as for ken I think the changes is already okay

4 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

Here a question

How about Akuma?

I have said my thought on Akuma before by removing his standard ground hadouken, as for ken I think the changes is already okay

I don’t know that Ken needs to change any more than he already has. At least in SFV he’s pretty distinct from Ryu despite the same 3 move foundation. Ken has plenty of his own moves at this point and for the ones he does share with Ryu his versions clearly have different properties beyond just visuals. 

Akuma is the same, though I would argue that making him more distinct isn’t as necessary because being a super version of another characters style is the whole point of his kit. And again, Akuma has plenty of his own moves to set himself apart at this point, so I don’t think changing him more is necessary. Removing his ground fireball would be a bad change imo. It would be a huge blow to his gameplay identity as the super shoto and the no ground fireball niche is basically already filled by Kage anyway. To me that would be change for the sake of change, which is a terrible reason for messing with something that works fine as is. 

7 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

Here a question

How about Akuma?

Ken definitely got more flair now, the problem is that even though he is the offensive shoto, it's really hard to compete with Akuma.

I think Ken should get something out of his overheads (even if it's just more damage) and have his gameplan centered more about pressure. His specials are fine as is.

Akuma's main draw has always been his toolkit, but I'm actually disappointed at the loss of jump back air fireball. Maybe his damage should be lower since he has so many ways to get it.

2 hours ago, Volt said:

Ken definitely got more flair now, the problem is that even though he is the offensive shoto, it's really hard to compete with Akuma.

I think Ken should get something out of his overheads (even if it's just more damage) and have his gameplan centered more about pressure. His specials are fine as is.

Akuma's main draw has always been his toolkit, but I'm actually disappointed at the loss of jump back air fireball. Maybe his damage should be lower since he has so many ways to get it.

Yeah Ken would be distinct enough from Akuma if his overheads were allowed to be useful. For some reason overheads (outside of like 3 characters) aren’t allowed to actually be good in SFV, so Ken is stuck with two moves and a feint that he won’t get mileage out of. That leaves him stuck running the same offense as Akuma and everyone else, accept Akuma obviously does that better with his plus on block CC, safe throw bait, and superior walkspeed.

And yeah no back or even neutral jump air fireball is the whole reason I don’t play Akuma despite him being strong and also loving him in 4. As for weaknesses Akuma just needs to be made out of wet paper like Chipp. Like in SFV he has lower health but not so low that it’s actually a relevant weakness. Akuma being godtier Ryu is fine if he dies after two mistakes.

Edited by Vhozite

Mortal Kombat 11 sales top 12 million

Total franchise sales cross 73 million.

Mortal Kombat 11 has sold more than 12 million units worldwide, publisher Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and developer NetherRealm Studios announced.

Total sales for the Mortal Kombat franchise have also crossed 73 million console units to date.

Additionally, Mortal Kombat Mobile, which is available for iOS and Android, has surpassed 138 million downloads.

“When Mortal Kombat launched nearly 30 years ago, I never dreamed it would grow into the franchise it is today with more than 73 million games sold,” said NetherRealm Studios creative director and Mortal Kombat co-creator Ed Boon in a press release. “We have some of the most passionate fans in the world and we appreciate the support they have shown us over the years.”

12 hours ago, Dracu said:

Why the hell did Idom pick Laura for the last set? Did he just give up? He never beats Punk's Karin with Laura, maybe except NLBC, where Punk usually sandbags.

It was a strange decision.  He was washing Punk with Poison up 3-1 and then 2-0 in the final set, lost a close game (could have gone either way just came down to one read in the 2nd round) and then made the switch to Laura and proceeded to lose the next 2 games and the tournament.  I think he was trying to play a mind game because the last minute character switch helped him beat Punk at Capcom Cup but that switch was from Laura to Poison and this was the opposite.    

I honestly think he would have won if he stuck with Poison because it is a much better matchup.

Edited by HeavensCloud
1 hour ago, HeavensCloud said:

It was a strange decision.  He was washing Punk with Poison up 3-1 and then 2-0 in the final set, lost a close game (could have gone either way just came down to one read in the 2nd round) and then made the switch to Laura and proceeded to lose the next 2 games and the tournament.  I think he was trying to play a mind game because the last minute character switch helped him beat Punk at Capcom Cup but that switch was from Laura to Poison and this was the opposite.    

I honestly think he would have won if he stuck with Poison because it is a much better matchup.

It certainly was strange. I don't think during the last Capcom Cup Idom played a mind game against Punk. He was getting washed with Laura by Punk's Karin, so he had no choice but to switch to a character that can handle that. The reason why he didn't go with Poison from the start at that time is probably cause he simply wasn't as experienced with her back then, as he is now. 

This is truly baffling to me. Punk had no response to Idom's Poison, though, to be fair, the netcode did rob him of some good moments where he could've pushed hard for the win.

That's not to take away from Idom's play, though. Hell, considering mashing on wake up is kind of his thing, and how much he grinds online, I think the rollback manipulation in order to throw off the opponent's pressure might just be intentional. Street Fighter V things lol

The switch to Laura is inexplicable. She's always been bad against Karin and when we're talking about Punk's Karin, it becomes a clear wash. I really don't know what the hell that was.

It will be a truly sad sight to see Marvel characters made by NRS and then compare them to Marvel characters from Marvel vs Capcom.

Not that I put any trust in that leak at all.

I got the impression that Idom really wanted to beat Punk with Laura instead of Poison even though Poison was the better pick in that matchup, like he was trying to make a statement. It seems it didn't work out though.

1 minute ago, Sonero said:

I'm still surprised people blame Capcom for infinite when they were being rushed and sabotaged by Capcom for a lot of the dev time.

If they were sabotaged by Disney twice it stands to reason they will just be sabotaged again this time around.

Maybe a company like WB has a better chance of not having their game ruined.

17 minutes ago, Sonero said:

I'm still surprised people blame Capcom for infinite when they were being rushed and sabotaged by Capcom for a lot of the dev time.

Yeah Disney demanded that artstyle, denied the use of X-Men and FF4 characters, and I'm 99% they are were the reason it wasn't at EVO.

If the SquareEnix Avengers game is anything to go by, Disney is all about making a Marvel based game with fucking ugly character models and boring as shit art direction. 

So NRS should be ready to crush it. 🙃

I kid. I don't hate NRS. Their games aren't for me (all other things being equal I'll never be able to get into the flow of the games, or lack thereof) but I get how someone could be really into 'em. Hopefully whatever they put out next is rad.

1 hour ago, misterBee said:

If they were sabotaged by Disney twice it stands to reason they will just be sabotaged again this time around.

Maybe a company like WB has a better chance of not having their game ruined.

The difference will probably be in the type of game they make. If Capcom had pitched restarting a Marvel fighting game from the ground up with just the Marvel property, it'd been less of a hassle. The "VS" part of it made them go into fully silly mode.

But looking at the Avengers game that "virtually" flopped, I say virtually because it didn't sell as much as they wanted despite selling, it has a very similar look to MvCi. So there's this ugly looking cinematic direction that they want the games to take. NRS already knows how to deliver really good ugly models so that part of it should work out.