Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

RE the Strive conversation, it's hilarious that now that Strive is about a month old, the honeymoon period is over and people are actually starting to look at it behind the hype and people are starting to dislike/drop it. FGC is like clockwork. 

I honestly find it really worrisome that it takes one Twitter take to throw the community into chaos. 

SonicFox said he's a bit dissatisfied with Strive right now and suddenly FGC Twitter becomes the purge, like one opinion suddenly invalidates others. Or validates their own thoughts.

"I SAID STRIVE WAS TRASH FROM THE START!"

"NAH SONIC IS A SCRUB JUSTIN SAID ITS GOOD"

Like, what am I listening to lol. 

42 minutes ago, Jocelot said:

I honestly find it really worrisome that it takes one Twitter take to throw the community into chaos. 

SonicFox said he's a bit dissatisfied with Strive right now and suddenly FGC Twitter becomes the purge, like one opinion suddenly invalidates others. Or validates their own thoughts.

Some people are definitely jump in just to hate on Strive. A lot of people went in wanting to hate it and they're basically stuck there. I gave it a shot and it turned out way more fun than I had during the beta.

But the reasoning and logic behind SonicFox's statement is just...wack. Its like a weird, pointless statement that would apply to a bunch of games. If Strive is somehow limited, then wtf does that make a large amount of games in genre? Apparently its still going on in twitter:

If we're gonna reach all the way to "These games are limited because they don't give me 20 extra moves that I can put on my character to make them play different than how they were designed originally" we've gone so far off the fucking plot that you should just go play CCGs.

Its also not really leaving a lot of room for developers to make games. AC+R had a lot of mechanics. It had so many mechanics, you could forget mechanics. If top players are top players outside of knowing frame data. You cold learn to play a whole lot of that game without knowing everything about it. So where do you go from there? How do you try and take the series somewhere to introduce it to more people?  Apparently you just keep adding up to the pile  call it a day . Because if you start trying to find different things that work, you'll get jumped on before adn then you'll get called limited because you didn't offer 10 million options.

Its a wack ass take. Same with:

There are some games that we have mostly "solved" so hard that we know all the tiers. Even in some of those games, new tech was found that made some other characters viable enough to move up tier lists. If not viable enough to mvoe up tier lists, then threatening enough that low tier heroes could wring people by the neck.  Its funny that some OGs get clowned for having old man takes, but holy shit if this isn't some dumb zoomer nonsense. I played it for 2 months, rip game its limited.

Ay, w/e squigga. Go play dress up IRL and with your character's move sets.

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

There are some games that we have mostly "solved" so hard that we know all the tiers.

This is a weird thing for SonicFox to say since they played Fighterz. That game was pretty much “solved” every season. There were barely any teams without a Cell or Kid Buu on release. Vegeta assist on release was also very frequent among everyone. Bardock in season 1 was so unstoppable, it was a meme to count how many times his level 3 played on stream. Kid Goku in season 2 became the new Bardock, hated and used by everyone.

So what makes early Strive any less solved than Fighterz?

Edited by BornWinner

It is easy.

This is just to generate traction. They want clicks views and comments, so they can keep spreading more of this.

I also found Leffens Comment on Melty very funny.

That dude made a Tierlist after a week and put the 4 most broken characters all into Mid-Low Tier.

And now apparently they play old games.

This is an attempt to get the old > new thing rolling, as well all know all the old games were so much better than the new ones could ever be.

Remember Strive being this Unga Bunga game? Well it will never hold a candle to the grounded and footsies based Xrd.

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

snip

I agree with his feelings on Strive but the comparison to MK11 is super revisionist history lol. The biggest complaint about that game is how garbage the variation system is in practice compared to the idea, even after two years of incremental improvement. In fact MK11 specifically prevents you from mixing certain move combos and outright bans others in PvP.

Most characters in that game have one decent loadout and you’re basically throwing if you pick anything else. I say this as a big fan of the game.

Edit: Also ffs every game Strive is being compared to has seen years worth of improvement while Strive itself hasn’t even seen a single balance patch. Give it some time.

Edited by Vhozite
3 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

agree with his feelings on Strive but the comparison to MK11 is super revisionist history lol. 

People have really short memories for all sorts of shit. I remember people complaining about the best moves being locked on custom variations you couldn't use in tournaments. Then characters being boned by Krushing Blow restrictions and other shenanigans.

Think in general people don't know how to take the initial version of a game anymore.  I'm not really bothered by a lot of the balance stuff because well its the first version. Stuff is gonna get looked at eventually. So you learn as much as you can now until that happens. 

But its also like BornWinner said: hoW are you gonna take that attitude to Strive when season 1 of DBF was way worse. Season 1 of DBF was Cell, Adult Gohan, A16 and vegeta assist. You weren't on that then your team was probably massive ass. Hell SonicFox's team got turbo punked when GO1 scuffed like a pair of new Jordan's at the wrong club. 

Its a very myopic comment. Let's not even talk about the release version of Skullgirls with it wack shit, all of the dumb stuff NRS put on release etc. 

5 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Luke brings SFV new character total to 14. That's 1/3 of the total cast. That's impressive. Which ones y'all think will become mainstays?

Zeku or his new apprentice

SFV - Menat

New Generation Girls - Ibuki

Alpha Girls - Sakura, Karin

SF4 - Juri 

2 Edge Lord Shoto one is Akuma or Oni and the other might be Sakura or Ryu

Grappler might be Alex or Abigail

Ryu, Chun li, Ken

"Street Fighter 5 has been developed to pay homage to the past, but Luke will give us a glimpse into the future," said Director Nakayama. "He will be expanding the world of Street Fighter."

"We feel strongly that Luke will be a great addition to the game, and that he has a bright future in the world of Street Fighter," added Producer Matsumoto.

🤔

Hey @misterBeewhere is the button to box a text to show it's quoted?

Edited by AriesWarlock

The main problem was luke being in last spot, which had the most wildest character anticipation than ever before, His better than ED IMHO.

One because of the influencers desperate of wanting the future of crossover titles which led them to  hype about crossover characters. Even it's too far fetch from Demitri, Kyo, Kazuya and even Rook this cause a negative impression and pressure in the last character anticipation

We got the Ransomware leak for that is likely for two years planned games and Fighting EX Characters not guesting appearing in SFV. And they are still hyping something that is unlikely.

Kazuya is a consideration because of Akuma in Tekken. I get the thing about Capcom vs SNK anniversary and Kyo's the same voice actor, but the whole Rook's birthday and the release date being similar doesn't make sense to link the two, It's too far fetch. If there was a guest character it would had been Fighting EX Layer or Tekken.

And then there's also memes linking his character design that might inspired by Logan Paul, which is unlikely because the match was not something like last year it just so recent it's just a terrible coincident.  It's the timing that went wrong. So they are probably force revealed it now than later.  

The blonde monitoring thing begins after a whole season is consist of most of blondes, but the overall total is not that dominating the problem was the previous games had too many main characters that are already blonde and the mythos of neo shadaloo.

Then lastly the whole blonde again thing probably isn't something that Capcom is giving a notice or something that they think wouldn't affect their last character because they aren't really aware of but maybe next time they will monitor the count.

Edited by Shakunetsu
18 minutes ago, misterBee said:

I didn't think anyone used that button.

I've added it.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

It wouldn’t be so bad if so many characters didn’t share the same shade of blonde. Why do many of them have the mustard yellow blonde?

I remember reading one Capcom Unity's blog an article about that. Something to do with a god of wrath having green eyes and blonde hair.  Was a big influence in Japanese media. Can't find the article now.

108.jpg

EeWr8sfXkAISySy?format=jpg&name=large

27 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I enjoyed Tager and Pot more as grapplers than Cerebella. Nothing Bella has can compare to gadget finger. 

I can’t speak on Tager but Bella feels way more fluid to me then Pot. Bella has real combos and basic mobility on top of her grabs. She feels like a real character in her game if that makes sense. 

Meanwhile characters like Pot and Gief have dogshit mobility and absolutely garbage combo options. Their kits feel completely segregated from the rest of the game. Playing them feels more like a punishment for having a strong grab than it does like a well character.

I also like Bella’s huge arsenal of armored attacks. 

9 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I can’t speak on Tager but Bella feels way more fluid to me then Pot. Bella has real combos and basic mobility on top of her grabs. She feels like a real character in her game if that makes sense. 

Meanwhile characters like Pot and Gief have dogshit mobility and absolutely garbage combo options. Their kits feel completely segregated from the rest of the game. Playing them feels more like a punishment for having a strong grab than it does like a well character.

I also like Bella’s huge arsenal of armored attacks. 

Pot's dog shit mobility has never bothered me. His long buttons and having answers to his archetype traditional weaknesses more than make up for it imo. Hammerfall is faster than any dash and has armor, I can use flick to shut down projectiles, slide head to give me an easy in from full screen if my opponent wants to stay grounded and most characters can't deal with his buttons. It feels good landing a combo when your like quarter of the screen away. Bella has the edge in combos but I don't really play this type of character for that. I want to land a couple of big moves and win. 

46 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

I remember reading one Capcom Unity's blog an article about that. Something to do with a god of wrath having green eyes and blonde hair.  Was a big influence in Japanese media. Can't find the article now.

ttps://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PhenotypeStereotype

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Japanese-characters-have-blue-eyes-and-blond-hair-in-anime

Spoiler

Keep in mind that anime follows a complex visual language, where seemingly innocuous elements carry deeper meaning. And hair color is among the first and foremost, especially when dealing with female characters.

Meaning that in most cases, the color of an anime character's hair does not reflect some natural hair color or a racial stereotype - instead, it is supposed to be a hint towards their personality and their role in the plot.

I guess it's high time for yet another crash course in anime hair color symbolism... take a seat.

Yellow hair:

main-qimg-34b3d1ba6142f26d09a1b2a203d80c11

The most widespread meaning is simply "someone special". This holds especially true for shoujo (for girls) manga/anime titles, where you can pretty safely bet that the most important female lead will be blonde. Occasionally, it can also signify "the rude/inconsiderate foreigner", for example a non-Japanese character with an abrasive or rude personality - but that's more of an exception than the rule.

Blue hair:

main-qimg-0a488b34c45df367769dd8c9d22e4973.webp

...typically signifies a quiet, softspoken, intellectual, sometimes even introverted character - albeit often one with a surprisingly strong will. In addition, such characters tend to get portrayed as refined, tradition-oriented and feminine, quite often even as examples of the Yamato Nadeshiko ideal.

Red hair:

main-qimg-7c927bfbb8dd19cfeb7381c843e376be.webp

...strongly suggests a tomboyish, inconsiderate, loud, often headstrong, "leader" archetype. This character will often charge ahead and/or speak her mind without holding back. In the extreme case, this behavior will go all the way to the point of acting rash or even stupid. Also tend to have voracious appetites.
Note: agressive shades of orange pretty much fall into the same category.

(Bright) Green hair:

main-qimg-1797c375a57fba09ead6341a0d6a637b.webp

Mostly extinct these days - but bright green hair is most often the sign of the "genki girl", another comedy-oriented character archetype. Such a character is chipper, upbeat, active, sports-minded and energetic. However, unlike a redhead, this character is more feminine and less prone to blindly rushing ahead - and usually displays normal or above-average levels of intelligence.
Note: darker shades of green typically carry similar connotations as "blue".

Purple hair:

main-qimg-5a927c390f54af664d9e0344cabf5077.webp

Also near-extinct - at least when it comes to intense shades of purple. What is still somewhat common, however, is characters with lighter/paler shades of purple. These almost always come with long, flowing hair and typically signify some sort of detached, noble, cultured, dainty, often even mysterious, "fantasy princess" archetype.

Pink hair:

main-qimg-c9a012a7dd2c928bc0ef558dc1d4a864.webp

Ah yes, pink. The one color that has undergone the strongest shift since the beginning of my anime career. Originally, this color was rare, and reserved for a select few childlike characters. But then... the moe phenomenon happened. And made this color the industry standard for dozens of "cutesy-moe-female-leads". Today pink hair is pretty much everywhere... yet some of the attributes have carried over. Even today, pink characters still tend to be not very bright, somewhat innocent, naive - and often idealistic to the point of being silly.

Brown hair:

main-qimg-ffbeeb0ef8b462231f9a558c1b33526d.webp

Brown stands for "warm+friendly normal" and is the most common "day-to-day-life side character" haircolor. Similar to black, the underlying message is not very strong - still, brown is most popular for longtime childhood friends, or all sorts of "safe/reliable" love-interests. Characters with this hair color tend to play some role in the plot, and be close friends of the leads, but they still represent normality and following social expectations... sometimes to the point of being boring.

Black hair:

main-qimg-147e2fcfbd775116c41ed9d062a084cf.webp

Being the most widespread Japanese hair color, this does not nearly carry a meaning as strongly predefined as most others - in fact, it can simply mean "the everybody". However, in cases when the character has long, flowing black hair, it can be intended as a shorthand for "noble lady / Japanese princess / idol of the whole school" characters. In that respect, it sometimes once again overlaps with the Yamato Nadeshiko notion.

Surprised that you didn't find "white" in the list, yet? Well, that is because luminance/brightness is typically on an orthogonal scale to the various colors above...

Simply put, the brightness of a character's hair communicates how down-to-earth<-->otherworldly a character is. The darker a color, the more that character lives in the here and now - and the brighter, the more esoteric, distant, magical and surreal he/she is...

With the extreme version of that trope, signifying "utter otherworldliness", being plain white:

main-qimg-6f11a9952913f4f792f96989eb0686cf.webp

Disclaimer: The archetypes listed here describe the stereotypical expectations that characters of a certain hair color will incite in an experienced audience of anime viewers. But guess what, sometimes the industry dares to *gasp* subvert expectations. In other words, these are strong, recurring patterns - but not hard-and-fast, immutable rules.

TL;DR:
Hair color in anime carries an intended meaning - and that meaning will typically easily override any sort of "normal" coloring that you would expect in terms of "realism". As such, in most cases, it is futile to try to interpret any anime hair color as being a representative of some real-world race/hair color.

Edited by Shakunetsu

I only managed to see Capcom's showcase in a rerun on my phone as I am out of town for several days due to work.

The fact that Capcom has clearly stated that SFV is a homage to the past ,as in roster of old faces and Luke will expand the future of SF has me worried for SF 6.

The character is cringe,banal design and comes out as a random character you create in every MMA game  out there.

If Luke is supposed to pave the way into SF6 then yickes,not looking bright. This smells like 3rd strike levels of bad roster

Quite a shame and quite a let down for a final character. 

Edited by Skort
3 minutes ago, Skort said:

I only managed to see Capcom's showcase in a rerun on my phone as I am out of town for several days due to work.

The fact that Capcom has clearly stated that SFV is a homage to the past ,as in roster of old faces and Luke will expand the future of SF has me worried for SF 6.

The character is cringe,banal design and comes out as a random character you create in every MMA game  out there.

If Luke is supposed to pave the way into SF6 then yickes,not looking bright. This smells like 3rd strike levels of bad roster.

Quite a shame and quite a let down for a final character. 

Imagine if they leave Juri out SFVI 😱

8 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

Imagine if they leave Juri out SFVI 😱

Depends on what direction they wanna go with the roster really. New faces vs returning favorites.

I do not need to remind it that Juri's image sells very well as she is often used when they advertise their stuff but fine.

Latest example would be SF Duel with Juri a SF 4 character just chilling like a boss with the world warriors.

maxresdefault-3.jpg

I just hope they never add her to Fortnite because the art style is terrible.

Edited by Skort
7 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

RE the Strive conversation, it's hilarious that now that Strive is about a month old, the honeymoon period is over and people are actually starting to look at it behind the hype and people are starting to dislike/drop it. FGC is like clockwork. 

Gee, imagine my surprise 🤣

2 minutes ago, Skort said:

I do not need to remind it that Juri's image sells very well as she is often used when they advertise their stuff.

Latest example would be SF Duel with Juri a SF 4 character just chilling like a boss with the world warriors.

maxresdefault-3.jpg

You are right. Fortunately, she has that going for her. Sadly, Makoto doesn't. I guess we are safe

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by AriesWarlock

Depends on what direction they wanna go with the roster really. New faces vs returning favorites.

I do not need to remind it that Juri's image sells very well as she is often used when they advertise their stuff but fine.

I just hope they never add her to Fortnite because the art style is terrible.

By this point i am 100% sure that even if the game was a prequel to Alpha 1, they would find a way to make room for her somehow.

By now she is a staple, imo.

If anything, what they will probably do, is "leave her out" to sell her as DLC again, since she is a sure sell.

I hope that Menat, Laura and Kolin become staples as well, because i like their gameplay and character designs.

Edited by Hecatom
7 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Which ones y'all think will become mainstays?

Like i said above.

I hope that Laura, Menat and Kolin become staples.

I wouldn't mind Lucia as well.

From the SFV chars, i can see Rashid becoming one, but dunno how will he translate on a game without VT, since a lot of his gameplay is tied to it, so unless they translate them to regular toolkit, he wouldn't be the same character.

G would be also cool in my book.

Just for the story, i can see Ed returning, dunno about Falke.

Necalli is a waste of everyone's time, but i can see Capcom bringing his sorry ass over other more popular chars and even beloved chars that are not as popular (like Makoto), just so they don't stop fucking up somehow.

5 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

By this point i am 100% sure that even if the game was a prequel to Alpha 1, they would find a way to make room for her somehow.

By now she is a staple, imo.

If anything, what they will probably do, is "leave her out" to sell her as DLC again, since she is a sure sell.

I hope that Menat, Laura and Kolin become staples as well, because i like their gameplay and character designs.

Indeed, Juri is a main stay to the series and it's highly likely she as well as other popular characters will be dlc since it's the age of dlc and money talks.

Laura is the newcomer I enjoy the most visually when it comes to SFV and I alt her so obviously I would like to see her return.

However,I would argue that if you factor in story , gameplay and visuals Kolin actually has a bit of an advantage as she has a pretty unique gameplan as well as a much better chance to have a meaningful role in a story.

I'm honestly surprised C. Viper never made it to SFV, so I imagine she might be in 6. Other than Juri she's the only redeemable SF4 character, unless they give the others the full Seth revamp treatment. Made Rufus a waifu, people might like him too.

I think most SFV newcomers are worth bringing back, with some obvious exceptions: Necali, Fang, Ed, Falke. It kills me to say that because I like Falke but she's been undercooked since release. Give her a staff with so many cool fighting style options and all she does is bonk people like she's Puppet Pal Mitch

Ed is so bad they're literally just trying a do-over with Luke apparently.

Just now, Yiceman said:

Ed is so bad they're literally just trying a do-over with Luke apparently.

It looks like the character designer is already done with ED or already had move-on to a new replacement.

Since the other would be phase out in a way and he needs to detach from previous design, probably this is the workaround to salvage and export his ideal of character design.

Viper would had been a waste this late into the game in my opinion ( assuming we get SF6 next year ).  Be happy she ain't here.

Seth's new visual design is great actually and I think they brought him back only to be able to say they have all the former bosses of the series playable.

Gouken as well is a good SF 4 character that I wanted for long in SFV but do not want him now,better save the old man for the next game.

As for bringing popular characters this late I keep thinking of Rose that should had joined the roster before half the DLC characters that we got during the years I would say.

As for bringing popular characters this late I keep thinking of Rose that should had joined the roster before half the DLC characters that we got during the years I would say.

You're tellin' me. I legit think they assumed Menat would be a satisfactory replacement, but didn't realize that people who played Rose wanted to play Rose, not Dhalsim. Don't get me wrong, I love Menat as a character and tried to play her SO many times, but it was such a struggle.

And I forgot about Gouken. He was cool, even if he never really had competitive teeth. But most of the 4 newcomers were wack.

Yea Menat won't be replacing Rose for character loyalists,just not happening.

Menat having reflect and Rose lacking it feels so wrong to me tbh.

And the cherry on top is that I think Menat is actually a pretty damn bad matchup for Rose as Rose is a zoner that will be forced to chase Menat down. Yickes....

Edited by Skort

Of the new characters introduced in SFV I can see Rashid, Laura, Menat and maybe G being mainstays. If G is actually meant to be a boss character then he'll have to come back. If they decide to finally move past Shadowloo then Ed has a chance. Zeku will probably be in every other game like Gen. Lucia comes back if they want the obligatory Final Fight character that isn't Cody or Guy.

49 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Of the new characters introduced in SFV I can see Rashid, Laura, Menat and maybe G being mainstays. If G is actually meant to be a boss character then he'll have to come back. If they decide to finally move past Shadowloo then Ed has a chance. Zeku will probably be in every other game like Gen. Lucia comes back if they want the obligatory Final Fight character that isn't Cody or Guy.

Speaking of Zeku, i forgot about him.

I think he is meant to be the replacement of Gen, not in terms of the pure function, but in the terms of the concept of Old Master that has a stance gameplay mechanic.

Also, i never thought about Menat was meant to replace Rose, since she only shares with her a story connection and the reflect and the anti air move.

Outside of that, she is her own beast in terms of gameplay, since even sharing 2 tools, their goals are totally different gameplaywise.

I'm glad it was Luke and not a really popular old character. I'd hate for a character like makoto to be added this late into the games life. 

As far as sfv characters I wanna see in 6. It's pretty much just Laura, meant, and G(just because I wanna know about Q) . 

PS- I don't get all the hate sonic fox is catching. 

Man just stated his opinion everybody likes different shit. I was watching a strive stream and a couple people were talking shit that he only likes games with lower entrants that he can win in, obviously wrong but this whole game wars thing is kind of corny at this point.