Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

21 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

well they can't count past five

I see you referencing old 90s shade, old man. 

Capcom made it to three, I have faith in Rockstar. 

4 hours ago, Sonero said:

Its still wild to me that you guys have a hard time getting to gold. 

That does not make sense 

I never made it to gold in SFV. 

But I touched celestial Strive in a couple of months.

It's all about where you spend your time.  How's your Doom Eternal rank? 😀

8 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

I see you referencing old 90s shade, old man. 

Capcom made it to three, I have faith in Rockstar.

Glad you got the reference. I hope you are right about Rockstar. I don't have any faith in them. It took Capcom six years to count to three and even with that there was the Alpha/Zero series, Vampire games, Vs. series etc. in the interim. It's been 8 years. As long as people are giving them that GTA Online money. They aren't incentivized to make a sequel. I'm not a fan of GTA but I wish they'd make a sequel for the fans already. I wonder what will show up first GTA6 or Mario Kart 9.

2 minutes ago, Serpent said:

What'd you wind up ranking up to?

I got to super diamond then did nothing to improve, stopped playing for a long time, went back in and got deranked to diamond.

Now I got Strive, living life happy,  got VIP two months in a row and have a lot of labbing to do to learn match ups properly.

5 minutes ago, Sonero said:

I got to super diamond then did nothing to improve, stopped playing for a long time, went back in and got deranked to diamond.

Now I got Strive, living life happy,  got VIP two months in a row and have a lot of labbing to do to learn match ups properly.

Who are you playing in strive?

2 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Who are you playing in strive?

Gio. She has a Marvel dash. The moment I did that, it was GGs as far as character choice. Also dabbling with Ram.

Should really be spending time learning all the characters but the game is too fun to play. Its easy to find matches and its fun to play. That essentially makes it so that I spend 0 time in training mode because I could just be playing.

46 minutes ago, Sonero said:

I think for V a lot of it is just oki setups and making sure you're on point for that, and being aware of the oki run on you too. It feels really shallow to me. I thought maybe since I barely played the game I might be wrong on that, but I spoke to some top players and that seems to be the consensus. I have no idea if it's true or not but a lot of people say you can get to Master just focusing on those two aspects of the game.

But as you allude to, you do have to play regularly (all fighters are the same) and want to improve, I'm not sure most people care enough to bother. FGs are kind of a weird thing, feels like most people are not having fun most of the time, so I kind of wonder why it even has the playerbase it does.

12 hours ago, Serpent said:

I have no idea if it's true or not but a lot of people say you can get to Master just focusing on those two aspects of the game.

That's more about the nature of ranked than it is about the game though.  Best of three and done means that nobody has a ton of time to adapt to set-ups, and it being online means a big chunk of the player base is mostly looking to press their good buttons a lot anyway.

But the game itself is is pretty layered at this stage.  There's a lot to know about how your opponent's character specific tools are going to interact with your tools, and the need to check dashes on top of playing footsies and watching for jumps means that the mental stack in neutral is kind of demanding.

1 hour ago, Reticently said:

Best of three and done means that nobody has a ton of time to adapt to set-ups

There was some relatively high ranked (borderline Diamond) high level Balrog I played recently with Rose. I did the same cross-up setup with Trigger 1 twice and it always hit, so by the time the third opportunity presented itself in the rematch I thought "ok, he knows it's a crossup, lets fake it and don't teleport". Guess what happened? He blocked. I mean I could give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was three steps ahead but the reality is probably different.

Other than Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting from activity, Weaponlord, Fatal Fury 3,  and Eternal Champions don't have much people from FightCade. Either way, the application served it's purpose as I'm not much into the genre as I use to be, but I'll use it still when the mood strikes me.

I'm just going to refer to steam for retro games, non-fighting related. However, I will buy ROBO OH as an exception. 

Edited by iEmptyeyes
I've changed my mind. LOL.
Just now, AriesWarlock said:

I don't mind this guys doing SF6 individual story mode art along with the cinemagraph style animation on their illustration

They handled well with Teppen. I like the illustration being like modernized style of the original art instead of doing there own take and changing everything

Edited by Shakunetsu

Since Kenner Louisiana will take a while to recuperate after us state hurricane victims who like especially to go there for tournaments, I was thinking of revisiting fighting game tournaments again, but I could actually do the same with chess tournaments a few decades ago. A few years from now, it may actually be something worth investing in from a side hustle. 

I estimate the time of duration in which could un-rust me. In chess, I could see myself facing more grandmasters. However, the very first one in the 1990s, there was vital merit to be considered. I've learned alot from him, because the measure of self-worth by the endless pursuit of prowess versus another, was never for me. 

So, I guess I could have fun with that when the time comes. It's been over 20 years that I've had 1st place in anything. I'll see where the chips fall again. 

Edited by iEmptyeyes
21 minutes ago, iEmptyeyes said:

Since Kenner Louisiana will take a while to recuperate after us state hurricane victims who like especially to go there for tournaments, I was thinking of revisiting fighting game tournaments again, but I could actually do the same with chess tournaments a few decades ago. A few years from now, it may actually be something worth investing in from a side hustle. 

I estimate the time of duration in which could un-rust me. In chess, I could see myself facing more grandmasters. However, the very first one in the 1990s, there was vital merit to be considered. I've learned alot from him, because the measure of self-worth by the endless pursuit of prowess versus another, was never for me. 

So, I guess I could have fun with that when the time comes. It's been over 20 years that I've had 1st place in anything. I'll see where the chips fall again. 

You were a chess guy for awhile? Interesting

24 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

You were a chess guy for awhile? Interesting

Long before migrating to fighting games at the time, yes. There is so much intuition and knowing the quantity of the movements ahead by the rules. I'm a highly intuitive and too much of an analytical person (I don't like it LOL), but my over sensing and judgment very much edges out more favorable critical thinking for me at the same time. So, that's what drew me to chess at the very beginning.

Edited by iEmptyeyes
8 minutes ago, iEmptyeyes said:

Long before migrating to fighting games at the time, yes. There is so much intuition and knowing the quantity of the movements ahead by the rules. I'm a highly intuitive and too much of an analytical person (I don't like it LOL), but my over sensing and judgment very much edges out more favorable critical thinking for me at the same time. So, that's what drew me to chess at the very beginning.

That's really interesting. How long did you play before you stopped?

1 minute ago, DoctaMario said:

That's really interesting. How long did you play before you stopped?

Since the early to late 1990s competitively. A little off and on casually past that. However, considering the very popular chess app I've heard about a couple years prior, I've been retaking steps to revisit this. Hopefully, my interest span can be as it was in my greater youth. 

People were telling me at the time to don't discontinue chess, due to the decline of competition in my state, which I'm not boosting in anyway. I've originally wanted a career for this. Due to two of my sessions with one of the world's renowned players, I lost my motivation to keep going. Not that it matters, but we've traded wins, 1 each. However, maybe it did matter, as I knew he wanted me to see something as an individual. I gave everything I've had with him, because I was very demanding in finding meaning or purpose in my life through competitive matters of interpretation/communication of what the opponent and myself are thinking and feeling.

Since dominance wasn't it, hedonism and cynicism was something I could resonate with much later in life, but take no issue with being loved/cared for in return. While not the ideal way to live in perception of most people, but not everyone can live the standard life.

On 9/10/2021 at 12:37 PM, Mattatsu said:

Swapped to Cammy and made Super Silver for the first time.

Super late on this but congrats man, I knew you could do it! 

So much of this hobby is just "time in" so if you keep chipping away at it, you can definitely get to Gold (and beyond if you want to really keep at it). There will be ebbs and flows so don't let a bad run discourage you.

I can try to fire up V sometime if you ever want to get matches in. I'm also insanely rusty (haven't played since the last time we played, I'm pretty sure) so I'll be an easy win. 😄 

Well, I've took part in my first live stream exhibition in Fighting Ex Layer Another Dash with a known player that I've versus with for sometime a while back. He's one of the best and the commentator set things up for us. I'm considered deceptively good now in that community, which is a bit flattering. LOL.

When I get back to the online play again, I just won't hold back anymore from that game and other fighting games, outside of events taking place of course. I've never liked that if you have a preference for random select, you have to stay with that character should you win. I just choose whoever, especially since learning a bunch of characters from a bunch of fighting games from the last two decades, the one sided matchups in the genre in combination to talented character knowledge and experience applied, helps balance things out for me in outcome as always.

Edited by iEmptyeyes