Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

Interesting, I sort of had the opposite reaction to this. It looks like a really "safe" list of sequels to succesful and popular franchises and despite one or two games where I had to raise an eyebrow (is Crytek really in a position to do Crysis 4?) it seems rather plausible overall IMO.

Also, come one @ that twitter guy for picking up the GTA trilogy of all things to give special mention to. 

5 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

As I've said elsewhere, it seems like a wish list. 99% there is "wish list" style leak it ends up being bogus. 

That was my first reaction, so I went and looked on the server myself (the guy posted how he did it)

The data's definitely real, and is definitely from nvidia (It's a page hosted on geforce.com) - just how much of it's placeholder crap or debug/test data is the only question. 

Edit: Nvidia released a statement:

"NVIDIA is aware of an unauthorized published game list, with both released and/or speculative titles, used only for internal tracking and testing. Inclusion on the list is neither confirmation nor an announcement of any game.

NVIDIA took immediate action to remove access to the list. No confidential game builds or personal information were exposed."

Edited by JustBrowsing
7 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

I can try to fire up V sometime if you ever want to get matches in. I'm also insanely rusty (haven't played since the last time we played, I'm pretty sure) so I'll be an easy win. 😄 

Thanks for the congrats Tables, but (and this is going to anti-climatic and scrubby), but fuck this game lol

Idk what it is about it but it stresses me out like no other FG or game I’ve ever played. Matches are tense/stressful the whole way through, and it wreaks havoc with my stress-levels. I had to take a break for my sanity. Right now I’m playing bass again and Gran Turismo Sport.

Looking forward to Melty though. I’ll play you in Strive if you’re down (but it has been a while for me. I haven’t played since before Goldlewis came out)

6 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Thanks for the congrats Tables, but (and this is going to anti-climatic and scrubby), but fuck this game lol

Idk what it is about it but it stresses me out like no other FG or game I’ve ever played. Matches are tense/stressful the whole way through, and it wreaks havoc with my stress-levels. I had to take a break for my sanity. Right now I’m playing bass again and Gran Turismo Sport.

Looking forward to Melty though. I’ll play you in Strive if you’re down (but it has been a while for me. I haven’t played since before Goldlewis came out)

Lol I hear you man. There is something in the alchemy of SFV that I think triggers some people. I am right there with you.

Like I get stressed playing Strive but it is a totally different experience. It's more that the game is intense. With V I feel like I'm fighting the mechanics and the netcode as much as the other person (and some of the character designs spike my blood pressure).

I haven't played since before Goldlewis. I definitely want to get back in there and probably will now that my schedule is calming down. I'm also definitely gonna grab the new Melty. Looks like a grand time.

20 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Idk what it is about it but it stresses me out like no other FG or game I’ve ever played. Matches are tense/stressful the whole way through, and it wreaks havoc with my stress-levels.

Its easy as there are a few things that contribute to this:

1) normals are kinda bad overall. So you're always uncomfortably close to people.

2) You can't kill somebody through regular chip damage, so they get to live longer than they do in a lot of other games artifically.

3) V-triggers make it so that, even if you have a lead, your opponent suddenly gets to have more tools than you for X amount of time and get an upper hand because they were losing.

Also the netcode sucks all the dicks.

26 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Its easy as there are a few things that contribute to this:

1) normals are kinda bad overall. So you're always uncomfortably close to people.

2) You can't kill somebody through regular chip damage, so they get to live longer than they do in a lot of other games artifically.

3) V-triggers make it so that, even if you have a lead, your opponent suddenly gets to have more tools than you for X amount of time and get an upper hand because they were losing.

Also the netcode sucks all the dicks.

I agree with all of this. Also, the frame data (or maybe push-back?) also seems messed up, like even when a blockstring is over, you don’t really reset to neutral. It feels like you’re always super-close to each other.

I do like the game but yeah, I don’t think it’s something I can take too seriously anymore. 

Edited by Mattatsu
47 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I don’t think it’s something I can take too seriously anymore. 

Its hard to take seriously online. Offline, with the training mode it has, you can overanalyze a lot of situations.

That's kind of the unfortunate thing about it. You can sit down and really flesh out a lot of situations. I would randomly write long posts about weird situations (like who has the button advantage after a tech throw type of stuff) and that was before they added some extra functions to training mode.

Also @Doctrine_Dark why did you duck Strive?

23 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

snip

Sounds like a wish list to me. Square Enix is supposed to be working on an FFIX remake, KH4, FF Tactics, remasters of FF Tactics and Chrono Cross, while simultaneously working on FFXVI and the next chapters of the FFVII remake? Unless they have a hyperbolic time chamber in their offices, I find that hard to believe.

Leak doesn't even sound like a wishlist.

It sounds like a patent-holding list.

Like, throw all that shit so people can't claim it first. If any of these actually turn into a project, the foundation to have them on GeForce Now listing is there or whatever. Many of these could've been scrapped too. (Like FF7R for PC looking very sketchy now that a full year has come and gone and there wasn't even an announcement of a port.)

Nvidia was honest about this one, it literally means nothing.

55 minutes ago, Volta said:

Sounds like a wish list to me. Square Enix is supposed to be working on an FFIX remake, KH4, FF Tactics, remasters of FF Tactics and Chrono Cross, while simultaneously working on FFXVI and the next chapters of the FFVII remake? Unless they have a hyperbolic time chamber in their offices, I find that hard to believe.

Probably bullshit but how good does that list sound...

16 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@delete_mePeople can't ask for new IPs that they don't know exist. 

I don't follow, didn't you say it looked fanmade?

There's only one project in there that seems a bit out of place and that's the FFIX remake. Seems like a really weird choice unless it's going to be more of a lo-fi visual style à la Bravely Default.

18 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

I've never seen anyone place Alex, Dhalsim and Ken that high.  I could maybe see an argument for Sim, but the other two have had 0 notable results this year (and pretty much ever).  And he put some characters in "pointless" that are actually pretty good like Gief and Necalli.

To me pointless isn’t really meant to be unviable so much as it’s “there is someone else who does everything this character is good at but better”. 

Lucia isn’t unplayable or anything but she has nothing that would make me pick her over Karin or Sakura. Nash is way better than he used to be but if I was trying to win I still wouldn’t pick him over Guile. But then again you can say that about a lot of characters that aren’t in that tier. 

Also I’ve been itching to get back into FGs but aren’t any specific games I’m dying to play. Might get back into MK11 for a bit.

7 hours ago, delete_me said:

I don't follow, didn't you say it looked fanmade?

There's only one project in there that seems a bit out of place and that's the FFIX remake. Seems like a really weird choice unless it's going to be more of a lo-fi visual style à la Bravely Default.

Yeah. The list is full of existing IPs. No new titles. It's a moot point though. The list is "real" but not necessarily what people think. 

19 hours ago, Sonero said:

Its hard to take seriously online. Offline, with the training mode it has, you can overanalyze a lot of situations.

That's kind of the unfortunate thing about it. You can sit down and really flesh out a lot of situations. I would randomly write long posts about weird situations (like who has the button advantage after a tech throw type of stuff) and that was before they added some extra functions to training mode.

Also @Doctrine_Dark why did you duck Strive?

Sadly, I have no legitimate answer to that. I really need to start playing Strive tho. 

5 hours ago, Vhozite said:

To me pointless isn’t really meant to be unviable so much as it’s “there is someone else who does everything this character is good at but better”. 

Lucia isn’t unplayable or anything but she has nothing that would make me pick her over Karin or Sakura. Nash is way better than he used to be but if I was trying to win I still wouldn’t pick him over Guile. But then again you can say that about a lot of characters that aren’t in that tier. 

Also I’ve been itching to get back into FGs but aren’t any specific games I’m dying to play. Might get back into MK11 for a bit.

That's true but a lot of FG's have similar characters playing the same way with one inevitably being weaker.  That's just the way a lot of fighting games work unfortunately.  It's hard to make a game with 40+ truly unique characters.  At the end of the day, why not just put them in the tier list somewhere?  I think it's a disservice especially when Gief and Necalli are stronger than half the cast.  I understand there are better picks for those character archetypes - but I would have liked to have seen Punk's placement of them nonetheless.  

The last game session from FightCade was in SFIII 3rd Strike with someone. A 15 year hiatus, but the outcome was in my favor. 21 (22?) - 0, shockingly. However, I'm incredibly rusty regardless. 

DarkStalkers session outcome from FightCade, was 20 - 0, in the other person's favor. He commented me on being pretty competent, despite being absent from the series for close to 15 years. GGPO had a nice following back then. He wants me get back to par again. 

It would be difficult to get back to my prime in these games, but their not my favorite at all. 

Virtua Fighter 3 sessions, from an over 20 year hiatus, also ended with a favorable outcome. 

Edited by iEmptyeyes
On 9/10/2021 at 8:28 PM, Serpent said:

I think for V a lot of it is just oki setups and making sure you're on point for that, and being aware of the oki run on you too. It feels really shallow to me. I thought maybe since I barely played the game I might be wrong on that, but I spoke to some top players and that seems to be the consensus. I have no idea if it's true or not but a lot of people say you can get to Master just focusing on those two aspects of the game.

But as you allude to, you do have to play regularly (all fighters are the same) and want to improve, I'm not sure most people care enough to bother. FGs are kind of a weird thing, feels like most people are not having fun most of the time, so I kind of wonder why it even has the playerbase it does.

I've been meaning to reply to you for a bit but haven't had a good chance to get my thoughts together. At a base level learning the one meaty and riding it for all its worth gets you started playing the game. Cammy is still top tier doing the same stuff she was doing in season 1 (canceling a good ass normal into HK spiral arrow, dashing twice and reacting to quick rise/back roll for the appropriate meaty). If you play Cammy, you can sort of ride that all the way to Diamond to be honest.

The thing about top players is that they tend to crunch certain aspects of game even though what they're doing is more complicated than what they say. In this case, just get a meaty and ride it ignores a lot of the stuff than the happens when you do land that meaty. Because after you land the meaty, things get screwy with the "no defensive options" in SF5.

Game was definitely designed so that a lot of characters can do a few basic things: they get a guaranteed meaty from a knockdown after dashing and play the tick throw game. On the way to master you gotta learn to shimmy properly. Shimming some characters isn't the same as shimming others. Then defending the shimmy, dealing with delay tech, baiting v-reversals, these become more relevant as you progress through the ranks.

like I said, I stopped caring. But there are some people who are hella stuck in some ranks because they aren't really doing much to progress. Its still an SF game, one full of gimmicks but still SF. If you don't have footsies, you don't get anywhere. You add the amount of studying you sometimes have to do for certain things and it can get weird. I don't know exactly how people deal with Bison's pressure without going to training mode with it.

One thing you have to consider about the game is that the only way to win is by being upclose. You gotta land a hit, throw or hit them with a super when they have no life. No regular chip damage really screwed up the way things interact in this game.

9 hours ago, Sonero said:

like I said, I stopped caring. But there are some people who are hella stuck in some ranks because they aren't really doing much to progress. Its still an SF game, one full of gimmicks but still SF. If you don't have footsies, you don't get anywhere. You add the amount of studying you sometimes have to do for certain things and it can get weird. I don't know exactly how people deal with Bison's pressure without going to training mode with it.

Hmm I dunno, I see lots of terrible footsies pretty high up on that online ranking thing. I don't think you can play true footsies online anyway, even if V had a great netcode. Everything has to be modified because certain things are just different. But today the playerbase is mostly online so I guess it is what it is. 

Is it even possible in 2021 to just play offline? I kind of think it really isn't. Only if you're a pro level player now, and many of them play streams as a source of income so they just accept playing online and probably play it up a bit. 

But I am with you on the not caring thing. I gave V a shot mostly because of a friend, our very own AYO, inviting me to play and kind of pushing me into it. Otherwise I've been out of the scene some 17 or so years now, that's a long ass time. I did play online until roughly 11 or so years ago before disappearing entirely until earlier this year pretty much, I guess the online is better now but it still seems so poor to me. I don't know why anybody would prefer online over offline play if they have the opportunity to play offline. Fighting games are meant to be played offline and in a community.