Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

3 hours ago, Vhozite said:

The extremely streamlined list of my problems with Strive:

1. I feel like I can’t do anything cool without 50 tension or a character specific meter telling me to fuck off

2. Converting off far attacks feels bad unless I’m closer than I want to be or have meter (see above).

3. Lack of interesting projectiles

Im paraphrasing pretty hard because I’m at work, but this is the meat of what I don’t like about this game. 

I know the ship has probably sailed - but I think you would like GBVS. The game is all about converting off far pokes into big damage and AA's can potentially do 50%.  There's projectile heavy zoners.  Also, once you hit the corner the combos can get kind of crazy.  

Edited by HeavensCloud
11 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

Strange, that doesn't seem like a common tag.  Where is Phantom Miria as a name from anyway?  

I thought the name was a reference to the character from Claymore. She used a technique called the Phantom Mirage.

https://claymore.fandom.com/wiki/Miria

I could be off base though.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
41 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

Strange, that doesn't seem like a common tag.  Where is Phantom Miria as a name from anyway?  

It's indeed a character from Claymore. A manga about a whole cast of Witcher-like badass half-mutant hot chicks is pretty much perfect bait for me.

I picked the nickname when I got into fighting games, I didn't know that someone else had a similar nick and also ended up going on streams. And being a hot chick, that people thought was me. On CFN I'm "Phantom_Miria" while she is "PhantomMiria", no joke.

Also, I'm not into digital marketing but I'm currently busy writing my thesis in political sciences, but I'll gracefully accept your best wishes anyway.

4 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

@Phantom_MiriaPM me your leaked pictures of Street Fighter 6!

I was shocked when I found out that SFVI was actually Street Fighter VS Mortal Kombat, and that the plot will be about Ingrid and Raiden joining forces against Dark Lord Luke, son of Shao Khan, who killed Ryu in his upcoming SFV storyline, but it's all true and confirmed!

10 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@VhoziteDid you ever finish Assassin's Fist? Thoughts?

Idk. There is two more disc’s in the case but I got the part where Akuma and Gouken start to fight and then the credits rolled. Don’t know if that’s it and the rest is special features or what. 

But anyways I love the movie. Like all the little nods to the games like music, sound effects, etc. Ono cameo, Megaman cameo. Nice landscape, a nice real life look for the characters. I could go on. Don’t know if a non-Street Figther fan would like it but I thought it was great 😁. Gonna give it back to the guy tomorrow and probably buy it on DVD for myself.

6 hours ago, Sonero said:

What is it that young people say? This is "cap" coming from you who went straigth to Baiken in Rev 2 instead of Kum, Dizzy or Venom.

I demand you edit your post and put a 🧢 warning on it.

Sir,

Nagoriyuki has a projectile and it's better than Leo's in nearly every conceivable way. 

Fools who think they'll negate Nago's range by backing off and shooting plasma or installing dragons get real familiar with it real quick.

4 hours ago, Mr.Cipher said:

Terrible Online System

The Lobbys are literally the worst thing about the whole system.

I takes forever to conenct to the online mode or even to the game, with an average of 8 minutes for both combined. Then finding an opponent and matching up can take up to 15 minutes. I can yell random nonsense into every Discord and get matches quicker than this.

Arcade Mode is bad, minor, but still it's bad.

Random Disconnects online are still frequent, what leads back to reconnecting for 3-8 minutes. And I had this happen a lot in Player Matches.

Gameplay feels stiff and slow.

Pressure is either non existant or short without ressources or mediocre with ressources.

YRC is worse than literally any Alpha Counter Style Counter, I've seen.

You are extremly limited with what you can do, get a little bit more freedome at the cost of 50 meter, but still are very limited even then.

Characters feel very flat with how you can play them, like everyone is now forced down a narrow pathway instead of having a lot of ways to choose from

Literally every character I've played and I tried out basically everyone, is extremly boring.

A lot of the overall gameplay reminded me a lot of SFV, just instead of having gimped characters until you get VT, you have average characters, who get to do some stuff for 50 meter and that some stuff never feels very impactfull other than "more damage".

Defense in this game also doesn't feel good.  The pressure you can get put in is usually way to minor and short and you never have to worry about stuff other than "lol throw" for the majority of the cast, even if they RRC. Only real exception I can think of is getting cornerd by Ram. Thats the only scenario where I got to solve a defense problem by something other than "just block lol".

Strives best features are it's graphics and it's Netcode, the rest of the game is majorly underwhelming.

That being said unlike in the past, I now can just go back and play Melty. So I just did that.

Not a bad list, actually.  Definitely written by an anime player tho. 

Yeah, Vhozite needs the right character, but you're boned. 

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

Idk. There is two more disc’s in the case but I got the part where Akuma and Gouken start to fight and then the credits rolled. Don’t know if that’s it and the rest is special features or what. 

But anyways I love the movie. Like all the little nods to the games like music, sound effects, etc. Ono cameo, Megaman cameo. Nice landscape, a nice real life look for the characters. I could go on. Don’t know if a non-Street Figther fan would like it but I thought it was great 😁. Gonna give it back to the guy tomorrow and probably buy it on DVD for myself.

Yeah that's the end. I'm still disappointed that they never got to make their sequel. They wanted to do a World Warrior based sequel. IIRC Joey Ansah was eyeing Scott Adkins for Guile. You can tell they were fans of the franchise. There so many little touches here and there. Like the crazy old hermit being Goutetsu's brother.  SnH drove him nuts and now he's a crazy old dude in the woods. One of Goutetsu's techniques, Metsu Goushoken, is a SnH version of Gouken's Senkugoshoha (palm) attack from SFIV. The explanation for why Ken and Ryu's fighting stance differs from Gouken's. Ken's father was a boxer and showed them tips that they adapted into Ansatsuken. It's was low budget but the actors really put in work. Mike Moh isn't that big of a guy. He put on 30lbs to play Ryu. Togo Igawa  (Goutetsu) basically doubled as a language coach, he helped the non native Japanese speakers with their pronunciation. 

Side note: I swear Gaku Space, Gouki's actor, looks like Tokido. 🤣

space-gaku-image.jpg

@Darc_RequiemLMAO I was thinking that Goki looked like Tokido. There are several cuts where it looks just like him and I’m like 👀 

I peeped Goutetsus palm attack when he fought Gouki that shit was a real nice touch. I thought that scene was funny because he backs off after that to do a Metsu Hadouken and Gouki basically hits him with wake up Shun Goku Satsu. Also liked how right before that he eats Akuma’s Goshoryuken but then blows him up with the movie equivalent of a full combo punish when he drops down.

After everything was said and done Goutetsu still seemed impressed to see Gouki ascend to be a true demon even though he personally disapproved of that path. Gouki also clearly still had respect for him as his old master. Even tho his path is shown as dark and malevolent by the end of his journey Gouki is still portrayed as a character that deserves respect for his mastery. 

Really would love to see a sequel. 

Edit: Goutetsu yelling “THERE WILL BE A MURDER TONIGHT” was badass. Dude was old but still absolutely ready to beat someone’s ass lol.

Edited by Vhozite

Final Fantasy 7 Remake is awesome! Jessie is so cute. She reminds me of my girlfriend a lot. I'm loving everyone! Still getting used to the combat, but I'm enjoying all the extra stuff they've thrown in too. I just wish there was a deflect, perfect guard or parry mechanic like in Ghost of Tsushima or Dark Souls or something. Would make combat much scarier... Maybe there is and I haven't unlocked it yet...

Anyways, go Jessie! What a sweet girl...

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

@Darc_Requiem

I peeped Goutetsus palm attack when he fought Gouki that shit was a real nice touch. I thought that scene was funny because he backs off after that to do a Metsu Hadouken and Gouki basically hits him with wake up Shun Goku Satsu. Also liked how right before that he eats Akuma’s Goshoryuken but then blows him up with the movie equivalent of a full combo punish when he drops down.

After everything was said and done Goutetsu still seemed impressed to see Gouki ascend to be a true demon even though he personally disapproved of that path. Gouki also clearly still had respect for him as his old master. Even tho his path is shown as dark and malevolent by the end of his journey Gouki is still portrayed as a character that deserves respect for his mastery. 

Really would love to see a sequel. 

Edit: Goutetsu yelling “THERE WILL BE A MURDER TONIGHT” was badass. Dude was old but still absolutely ready to beat someone’s ass lol.

you're making me wanna see this movie. 🙂

10 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

you're making me wanna see this movie. 🙂

I'm surprised you hadn't already. Originally they had a deal with Machinima. They showed it in like 15 parts on their Youtube channel before the deal expired and the released it on Blu Ray. It's one of my favorite Street Fighter movies. I own two Street Fighter blu rays. Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie and Street Fighter Assassin's Fist. 

Edit: Here is the Goutetsu vs Akuma fight

Edited by Darc_Requiem
26 minutes ago, delete_me said:

Assassin's Fist is really solid, particularly for an indie movie like that. At way over two hours the Blu-Ray cut is way too long though, as a 90/100 minutes movie it would have had a better pace.

Yeah the movie is pretty long and probably could’ve been edited down a good amount. Idk about 90mins tho. At that length I’d argue the movie would feel super rushed. Movie is basically structured like The Godfather 2. No way they make that time without one of the main characters walking away underdeveloped.

Edited by Vhozite
2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Yeah the movie is pretty long and probably could’ve been edited down a good amount. Idk about 90mins tho. At that length I’d argue the movie would feel super rushed. Movie is basically structured like The Godfather 2. No way they make that time without one of the main characters walking away underdeveloped.

Yeah I'm just throwing out numbers, it's been a while since I saw it. But I remember the middle part dragging on for quite a bit and I think you could easily shave off 10-15 minutes there.

Have Capcom mentioned anything about Luke's release date since his reveal trailer dropped? We're almost in October and they still have yet to step into the nextgen consoles with their fighting game department. I'd assume they're also doing a big balance patch and a final *final* rerelease of SFV with everything that came out after Champion Edition for like 40-45$

21 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

Have Capcom mentioned anything about Luke's release date since his reveal trailer dropped? We're almost in October and they still have yet to step into the nextgen consoles with their fighting game department. I'd assume they're also doing a big balance patch and a final *final* rerelease of SFV with everything that came out after Champion Edition for like 40-45$

He's supposed to drop in November IIRC. Balance patch got pushed back to March as to not interfere with CPT.

15 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I always considered GG to be an anime game, but is it not considered to be one?

Yeah, that and pressure in Strive is still really good without meter.  With meter though, you can straight out dunk somebody's blocking.

A whole lot of 🧢s doing sus analysis of the gameplay.

1 hour ago, PVL_93_RU said:

According to the leaks SFVI will be cross-gen anyway, so don't expect a big technical leap there. Not saying it can't look good (see Strive) but yeah, expectations and all that.

Unless of course the changed course and the leaks are based on ancient data. One could certainly hope so, would be pretty dumb if SFVI had a 5 year support cycle as well and we'll have a PS4 game getting updates in 2027.

13 minutes ago, delete_me said:

According to the leaks SFVI will be cross-gen anyway, so don't expect a big technical leap there. Not saying it can't look good (see Strive) but yeah, expectations and all that.

I guess that makes sense. Capcom will probably switch most if not all their titles to RE Engine eventually including Street Fighter and it has shown to work rather well event on previous generation (iirc Resi 2, Resi 3, Resi 7 all run at 60fps there?)

I'm mostly wondering about the launch date (still placing the bet on 2023 for the franchise's 35th anniversary) and if Capcom further improves their own rollback implementation after MVCI

5 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

, I'm not buying any PS4 games that have ongoing support unless they have a PS5 upgrade

I'm also in a dilemma of buying any existing or new games from PS4 considering most of them are seeing significant load time and general perfomance improvements when running on PS5, but I'm not planning on getting a PS5 until at least 2023. The price here for it right now is just insane, you can't get it anywhere else consistently due to stock shortages, and all the previous PlayStation consoles were a birthday gift

my backlog is gigantic and I also don't really fancy the current PS5 design all that much. Maybe Sony rolls out a Slim model in a few years or something

Edited by PVL_93_RU
1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

I always considered GG to be an anime game, but is it not considered to be one?

GG is definitely an anime series, but Strive is just toned down compared to past games. There is still a lot going on compared to something like Street Figther or Mortal Kombat, but it’s closer to them on the scale than your typical airdasher is.

What Rook is saying is that most of Ciphers complaints stem from his background as a player of (crazier) anime games, and that he is basically doomed to never enjoy it. 

Edit: It also obviously looks like an anime game too. Really the anime vs not anime thing can get a bit dubious. 

Edited by Vhozite

I'll be versing one of the best Area players in Fighting Ex Layer Another Dash around 8pm CST from twitch, if you lot are interested. Hopefully, I can do just as good with this pad, but the arcade stick is a prime for me. We'll see, however. I'm approaching the final days of being involved with the FGC altogether, because me and bestie are planning for our future demanding business. So, she very much waivered my nihilism. I'm thankful for her. 

3 hours ago, Vhozite said:

GG is definitely an anime series, but Strive is just toned down compared to past games. There is still a lot going on compared to something like Street Figther or Mortal Kombat, but it’s closer to them on the scale than your typical airdasher is.

What Rook is saying is that most of Ciphers complaints stem from his background as a player of (crazier) anime games, and that he is basically doomed to never enjoy it. 

Edit: It also obviously looks like an anime game too. Really the anime vs not anime thing can get a bit dubious. 

Let's be clear.

Cipher is a Blazblue player.

Blazblue is a fucked up game.

Thanks for attending my TED talk.