Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

5 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I always considered GG to be an anime game, but is it not considered to be one?

As explained, the gameplay is less anime than usual. No 4-way mix-ups followed by another mixup followed up by a 33-hit combo comprised mostly of two buttons mashed in a sequence. 🙃

5 hours ago, Sonero said:

Yeah, that and pressure in Strive is still really good without meter.  With meter though, you can straight out dunk somebody's blocking.

A whole lot of 🧢s doing sus analysis of the gameplay.

"Pressure is fine," says the Gio player from SF.  "Y'all just weird."

The Strive tierlist is basically a pressure tierlist.

2 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

What?

I'm playing through 30th Anniversary collection.

46 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

"Pressure is fine," says the Gio player from SF.  "Y'all just weird."

Non-metered pressure is fine. Cipher's complaint is that non-meter pressure feels bad but a lot of characters are giving you the business without meter.  When they do get meter, things get super crazy.

You only really have two characters truly SOLed without meter: Anji and Faust.  If you aren't either of those two, you're giving people a whole lot of business meterless.

4 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

Winback tried to warn us

I actually play Blazblue and I'll warn anyone who will listen.

Just...run.  Save yourselves.

4 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

As explained, the gameplay is less anime than usual. No 4-way mix-ups followed by another mixup followed up by a 33-hit combo comprised mostly of two buttons mashed in a sequence. 🙃

That's not really a fair assessment.  You get 4 way mixups followed by a mixup followed by a 40 hit combo that requires several micro-dashes/instant air dashes, is based on your opponent's weight/size, and requires a shit ton of different button presses.

Anime is unfair bullshit but it is still difficult to do!

1 hour ago, delete_me said:

There's a SFV tournamenent happening on Saturday relatively close by, the first one I've seen over here since ... 2016?

The problem is it would take me about 90 minutes to get there and god knows how long to get back (public transport just vanishes after 10pm over here). Too far to take the bike and I don't own a car. Hm...

Uber/Lyft?

9 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Spoken like someone who never played an ASW Game in their life.

5 hours ago, misterBee said:

Anime is unfair bullshit but it is still difficult to do!

Yeah and unfair bullshit is fun.

Even garbage cans like Terumi feel strong, that guy is bottom 1 and he still has this power feeling to him. Meanwhile playing Low Tier in modern FGs is like.... what can this guy even do? No Damage, No Oki, No Movement, Tall Hurtbox, Looks stupid.

9 hours ago, Sonero said:

Non-metered pressure is fine. Cipher's complaint is that non-meter pressure feels bad but a lot of characters are giving you the business without meter.  When they do get meter, things get super crazy.

I think this is my inner anime player speaking when I say, that Strives pressure is the weakest I've ever encounterd in the past 6 years. 
Strive has like 2 exceptions, Ram when she corners you and Sol pre-nerf.

12 minutes ago, delete_me said:

It's sweet you think we have those things over here. My best bet is probably a plain old cab but I wonder how much that'll cost. Might have to bite the bullet though considering these events only happen once every five years over here.

Where are you from? 

Is pressure in Strive really as good as Pert says? Genuinely asking. It’s not something I’m mad over or anything but other than Ram’s corner pressure with swords I don’t remember seeing anything mind blowing. But i also fully admit that I haven’t played in months and don’t know much about how the meta has developed.

44 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Is pressure in Strive really as good as Pert says?

Put on some matches and see how many people get mixed and opened up without meter.  Nagoriyuki gets to ruin your whole day by doing F.S, S and then you're in a small blender from him that's meterless.  Leo can cancel his stance cancel his back turn overhead and be +11.

Ever had to play spot the gap against a good Zato? That or Hold The Garuda against Potemkin?  Hell now Jack-O summons one minion and if you don't deal things get really weird. I-No with the buffed dash is a nightmare because she got new safer strings.

The meter issue is a different discussion. Because at least Daisuke wasn't really happy about how meter ended up being used in AC+R, they tried to fix it in Xrd but it didn't work and things seem to be in a good place in Strive. Meter matters a lot. 50% meter is not something you can just throw away. Extender your pressure with meter isn't really all that good unless you have a full bar to do spend meter for a weird mix up. Because that way you get cranked up RISC bar to cash out.

Roman Cancel properties in Strive are super funky.  What they do in practice is also super funky. No way any of that should cost less meter than it does now to do. If Ryu could cancel tatsu on whiff and immediately do a jumping roundhouse to hit you overhead while still slightly in the air, and then do it for 25% meter, shit would be extra crazy. RCs basically let you do that in this game. Then they let you freeze people in place so you can get 2 to 3 mix ups out of one situation, you can create frame traps with purple RCs, yellow RCs are a get out of jail somewhat free card etc.

One extra blockstring isn't always the best option TBH.

1 hour ago, Mr.Cipher said:

I think this is my inner anime player speaking when I say, that Strives pressure is the weakest I've ever encounterd in the past 6 years. 
Strive has like 2 exceptions, Ram when she corners you and Sol pre-nerf.

Yeah, the game isn't doing some of the dumb BlazBlu/Xrd stuff so the pressure is suddenly bad. That's like saying pressure in SF5 is bad because you played Yun in 3S and nothing in SF5 is like Genei Jin. Might as well play MUGEN games at that point.

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

Yeah, the game isn't doing some of the dumb BlazBlu/Xrd stuff so the pressure is suddenly bad. That's like saying pressure in SF5 is bad because you played Yun in 3S and nothing in SF5 is like Genei Jin. Might as well play MUGEN games at that point.

Gonna be honest this is how I feel about people who say SFV is a high damage game. I feel like every time someone makes a claim like that it’s a Twitter highlight with Alex meter dumping on some glass cannon character in the corner. 

Maybe it’s splitting hairs but I’ve always felt like SFV merely has the illusion of high damage because characters are constantly on offense. But outside of a couple EX grabs damage per attack has always felt quite low to me, especially on normals. 

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Gonna be honest this is how I feel about people who say SFV is a high damage game. I feel like every time someone makes a claim like that it’s a Twitter highlight with Alex meter dumping on some glass cannon character in the corner. 

Maybe it’s splitting hairs but I’ve always felt like SFV merely has the illusion of high damage because characters are constantly on offense. But outside of a couple EX grabs damage per attack has always felt quite low to me, especially on normals. 

SF5 does have higher damage than normal in different situations. EX moves definitely add more damage more often than regular . The other issue is that people memed older games to do more damage without meter than they did. There are a few SF games outside of SF2 that have high damage combos without meter. After that combo opportunities depend on ranges.

A2 is high damage when you have 3 bars of meter. Otherwise you can do some okay damage, but it won't blow your mind. A3 has high damage with meter. For the Street Fighter Franchise, once you leave SF2, high damage combos require meter.

In 3S, high damage is situational or  character dependent. The characters that really do get big juicy combos with no meter need a certain thing to happen. Urien needs to anti air you a certain way, Oro needs to land a certain hit for his loops, Necro needs to get a certain hit in the corner but only against certain characters. Almost forgot Ken's DP link; that one does good damage but only works on certain characters IIRC. So really without meter you aren't doing a lot. Its the same in CvS2 where meter = damage.

We can add SF4 was all over the place in design. Some characters could do highish damage without meter, others couldn't. Being able to reliably link your ultra also made the damage different between characters etc. For some reason Yun could link like 8 mediums into some super solid damage. Then you had w/e the fuck elena tried to do with 20 jabs in a combo. Weird game on damage. Then because of the need meter to link ultras, using EX moves was really a calculated decision because you could bone yourself out of meter for later down the round; same with using meter to do damage.

SF5 lets you use EX moves for damage way more often. When I was still playing, if I was in the 3rd round with a full bar of meter, first thing I did was spend one on the first hit for the damage. You build meter easy and you get more chances to use that meter too. A lot of the cast has some way to spend bar for damage now.  You can turn SF5 into a 3 touch game if you get the right hits and use meter properly. Funny enough, the one character that doesn't easily cash out on meter is Cammy (who is top tier regardless of that fact). So compared games outside of SF2, yeah, you're doing highish damage more often in SF5. This is before we talk about how Crush Counters allow conversions that you wouldn't normally have (like people getting full combos for landing a far roundhouse).

We got all the games now on PC. Definitely wouldn't take much effort to compare the damage across games.

52 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Yeah actually, the day has been an absolute mess but some of the flip side has been good. Got to air out some stuff publicly on FB. think doing so did what I thought it would: be actually sad instead of just angry at all the abuse from close family members.

So now I think I can actually start being sad my mom died rather than wonder if she actually loved me due to all the shit that happened immediately after her death. The SRK blow up was one thing; but Preppy's nonsense during all that mirrored terribly how some of my close family behaved.

I'm pretty good though. I didn't mean the MegaShock thing as a jest though. Happy Fuck SRK day and their shitty admin day!

🙏

lol funny thing is I always thought you and Preppy were close. Also you should have ditched SRKGD way back, I'm pretty sure I even suggested it to you, but you didn't think I was serious or something. 

20 minutes ago, Serpent said:

lol funny thing is I always thought you and Preppy were close.

We were until one retard took the election thread too seriously.

That thread was a microcosm of the outside world. If some people in it were dumb AF, you had to accept that people in the outside world were also dumb AF. And since humans who exist and people with political opinion share a Venn Diagram, it stands to reason that some people in SRK would have political opinions.

Sometimes you have to take a step back, take a deep breath and accept that some people are blithering morons and nothing is going to fix it. That and people use political discussion as a means to discuss their personal issues...that makes things even goofier.

5 hours ago, Sonero said:

Its the anniversary of my mother's death, which means its also the anniversary of the great SRK blow up taht lead everybody to Megashock.

Happy MegaShock Day you buncha cunts.

Hm. I'm sorry for this. My mother, even if deceased 15 years ago, was my life growing up. She was more with unconditional substance and a kind hearted person in my family. So, I still mourn to this day about her. It took someone whom I've met several years ago that was in similar personality to mom to save my life. She's a little too much of her. It was unbearable at first, because love was always inconvenient for me since childhood.

I consider my lady bestie as carrying the torch for my mother, as support and love to keep me in line. 

I managed to backup some of my few writings. 

I really wished sony did archived it at least. It's likely sony's decision.

I don't really mind much of my fanfic and ideas because I could also create a new one or better myself always. 

There is also a compilation of the new SF plot guide. So it's not directly affected.

Besides for plot compiling and FG strategies. There are good exchange of conversation and unanswered question for in-depth stuff things I'm not really good at and familiar

Like the tech section like the arcade sticks. that one was something that I recommend in the thread when they were asking for major change on SRK. 

Edited by Shakunetsu

Me I had just carried my previous team and combined them in MVC2

Spidey/Ryu and Akum My initial team when the game was released then Ryu felt so terrible in just a few weeks that I quickly change to Spidey/Iceman and Akum 

Later on I'm doing on Strider Doom and BlackHeart or sometimes i changed Strider with Colossus or Silver Samurai if want to play experiment and just have fun

6 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

Like the tech section like the arcade sticks. that one was something that I recommend in the thread when they were asking for major change on SRK. 

SRK tech section has been super outdated for a long time now.  Not only that, but most of the guides people have written no longer have working images.  If SRK were to be deleted tomorrow I don't think it would make much of a difference on the tech front.

It's wasted on most people anyway - these days a lot of people think modding a stick means changing the color of the Sanwa buttons they use.  Modern sticks are great because they are arcade quality right out of the box, but the downside is that people no longer understand how sticks work, and have 0 interest in doing any meaningful customization. 

It's also caused a real lack of part diversity - people think Sanwa is the best and only option, and have never even tried stuff from other manufacturers.  Going to the fight stick subreddit and seeing post after post of people thinking they're a tech wizard because they changed the color of their joystick balltop is a bit depressing.