Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

15 hours ago, Mr.Cipher said:

I played all Piranha Bytes games.

That's nice of you.

I played Risen, Risen 2 and Elex but I still think Elex has by far the most ruthless opening hours of these games. I really enjoyed that aspect but it's not for everyone.

Can't say much about Gothic. While I know their legendary status, I've never played on PC and never will.

2 hours ago, delete_me said:

That's nice of you.

I played Risen, Risen 2 and Elex but I still think Elex has by far the most ruthless opening hours of these games. I really enjoyed that aspect but it's not for everyone.

Can't say much about Gothic. While I know their legendary status, I've never played on PC and never will.

Risen1 was an attempt to win back faith after the desaster that was Gothic 3.

It is good, but has it's shortcomings, obvious ones at that. Like, there are literally no sidequests after Chapter 1 what is pretty big uffff

Risen 2 was..... interesting. The game was something completle different from before and it didn't actually sit well with their Fanbase.
Risen 2 is usually the game people know is there, but try to not talk about it.

Had a pretty good story tho.

Elex reminded me personally a lot about Gothic 1. You have a very good and solid fundation there, but it lacks a lot of finetuning and honestly the QoL the next game brought.

I look forward to Elex 2 tbh.

But honestly if you ever play on PC or even Laptop, Gothic 2 is a really good choice. It runs on a modern day toaster.

Yeah, I hope Elex 2 turns out good. The CGI trailers have been super cheesy but hopefully the game will improve where it needs. It's a bit concerning they're putting it on last-gen consoles again though, that seems like an unecessary amount of porting work and might hold back some aspects of its design.

13 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

Thanks but considering Capcom is the Apple of fighting games where they set the trends for game design I'd rather them not do stupid shit like that

SF2, SF Alpha, 2 games worth of CvS2 all without EX moves. Somehow doing a game without them would make the game bad.

26 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

Thanks but considering Capcom is the Apple of fighting games where they set the trends for game design I'd rather them not do stupid shit like that

Ah so I can blame Capcom for having all these waterd down experiences?

Great, can't wait to get disappointed by Type Lumina this Thursday/Friday.

30 minutes ago, Mr.Cipher said:

This might be one of the stupidest replys you've ever made.

People have been complaining to ArcSys about babying GG when they made Blazblu. There's literal footage of an Evo panel of it happening. Just because you don't know shit doesn't mean the reply isn't historically factual.

:coffee:

2 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Why? I’m not in favor or opposed to this, but I don’t really see what this change is supposed to address. 

Think its turned into a design crutch from them. SF5's combo system is basically "link EX move into EX move". We have Karin and then a bunch of other Karin lights that don't even feel cool when you do things.  If they really wanted to go back to basic, they'd dish trying to cover stuff with made up moves and work with the stuff they do have properly. Ryu's fireball in SF5 stayed bad for so long because he had EX and then he could VTrigger for the dumb ones.

No, just let him have really good ones from the jump and work your way from there. Super meter in general has become this mechanic that games need to have. If your characters don't feel good without meter, then your character is just not good.

7 minutes ago, Sonero said:

People have been complaining to ArcSys about babying GG when they made Blazblu. There's literal footage of an Evo panel of it happening. Just because you don't know shit doesn't mean the reply isn't historically factual.

And Xrd was a casualised masher friendly no skill game for modern generations, there was no depth or skill needed like for Ac+R, which was a waterd down version of XX, which was a casual game compared to X, which was a downgrade to the original GG.

And all of them are waterd down, casual friendly games, compared to ST.

13 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Think its turned into a design crutch from them. SF5's combo system is basically "link EX move into EX move". We have Karin and then a bunch of other Karin lights that don't even feel cool when you do things.  If they really wanted to go back to basic, they'd dish trying to cover stuff with made up moves and work with the stuff they do have properly. Ryu's fireball in SF5 stayed bad for so long because he had EX and then he could VTrigger for the dumb ones.

No, just let him have really good ones from the jump and work your way from there. Super meter in general has become this mechanic that games need to have. If your characters don't feel good without meter, then your character is just not good.

Strong agree with basically everything here. EX moves in SF are especially egregious since typically each character gets a whooping 3 versions of every special lol. EX moves started off as an ok idea, but I feel like it’s devolved into a reason to give characters bad meterless options. 

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

I can  personally only accept the removal of EX moves (for one game) if SF6 goes back to Alpha-style gameplay:

- shorter combo

- no V-ism

- Hyper Alpha 3 parries or standard Alpha Counters

- no dashing

- multiple Supers by default

- no EX

- Air blocking

- super fast walkspeeds 

- definitely nerf Rose and Sakura

- maybe add heavier damage scaling if they do custom combos

but since most would see this as a regression from SFV's mechanics (and I certainly don't see Capcom going that back in the Street Fighter timeline after everything that happened in V's story), then 6 but without EX entirely would just be weird. Especially when EX moves in DBFZ, KOF, MKX, MK11, and Cross Tag are so fun

1 hour ago, Mr.Cipher said:

And Xrd was a casualised masher friendly no skill game for modern generations, there was no depth or skill needed like for Ac+R, which was a waterd down version of XX, which was a casual game compared to X, which was a downgrade to the original GG.

And all of them are waterd down, casual friendly games, compared to ST.

The last good fighting game was Karate Champ, let's get real.

20 minutes ago, Volt said:

Since when you turned into a GG boomer?

It isn't about being a GG boomer. Its the opposite but apparently people can't read.

ArcSys has been blamed for "dumbing" down their game now  since 09. This new is the first one that's substantially different than the others and people are losing their tits over it. If you think about, this is the first "new" game where things are actually different.

They did fixed X in XX and then they've been making the same game since on the GG end. BB did some stuff to help new players and people cried about. Who cares about all the tears?

2 minutes ago, Sonero said:

ArcSys has been blamed for "dumbing" down their game now  since 09.

By who? 🙃

Ain't my fault you toss jabs and hide your hands too quickly, how tf am I supposed to know you meant the opposite? 🤷‍♂️

As for the point you're making...

3 minutes ago, Sonero said:

This new is the first one that's substantially different than the others and people are losing their tits over it. If you think about, this is the first "new" game where things are actually different.

They did fixed X in XX and then they've been making the same game since on the GG end. BB did some stuff to help new players and people cried about. Who cares about all the tears?

The whole issue comes from people that cry wolf over every goddamn thing. GG Boomers complained about BB being "baby mode" for reasons that I honestly can't fathom, because if you play that game, it's anime af. Then they bitched about Xrd because everyone didn't have Dante-like movepools and all the time they spent practicing those moronic FRCs were wasted. Now they're bitching about Strive because ArcSys wants people to actually play instead of getting knocked down and holding all kinds of shit.

Frankly? Fuck them. You're right about that. 🤣

1 hour ago, Volt said:

By who?

LordKnight put the clip in one of his videos but I don't remember which one. Legit asked them why they were making the game easy for beginners at an evo panel.

Timestamped so even Zyfer can see that people have been complaining about the same shit since BlazBlu. No amount of calling Strive a "baby game" is going to magically make some of the pressure there hard to deal with.

So its w/e to me. Made for babies or not. Game can either be fun or not. Once its fun they can worry about making it good. Playing Strive like a crackhead on a daily basis since it released and...still fun. Frustrating but still fun.

50 minutes ago, Sonero said:

I think so too. But it didn't stop people from saying preposterous stuff about it.

But you see, I have a fundamental issue with the entire topic. 

Why should I care about what these people are saying? Who gives a fuck?

ygyuomj4croftrklk1kk.gif

ArcSys did have a period of them dumbing down games to appeal to the masses, you could say that the seeds were planted with Stylish Mode, and even say idiotic shit like P4A being the start of it (It wasn't, Autocombos in that game had a legit purpose besides giving noobs an ez combo.), but DBFZ and BBTag were definitely where it got to be too much.

People may claim it started with BB just because it didn't have weird stuff like Sol's finicky Sidewinder loops, but at the end, this will always boil down to where one draws the line and a whole lot of semantics.

2 minutes ago, Volt said:

But you see, I have a fundamental issue with the entire topic. 

you missed the part where Cypher said:

21 hours ago, Mr.Cipher said:

Ah so I can blame Capcom for having all these waterd down experiences?

BlazBlu was viewed as watered down GG. Then Xrd was viewed as watered down XX etc etc etc. Strive is basically a brand new game different from the XX serious and it can't be that.

But blaming Capcom for the shit GG does or other companies do when its industry insiders looking at their own products and trying to do stuff to get people to play for longer. Capcom didn't start it. ArcSys has been trying to make certain things easier since BB. With Xrd they used #Reload as the base instead of AC+R.

Let's not even get into the people who thought the chains and gatlings in the VS series, done to make some stuff easier, was also baby mode stuff.