Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

Oh, btw, they’re bringing back the 90’s X-Men cartoon with a lot of the original VAs reprising their roles, and the original writers and directors are advisers.

It seems like it will continue where the original run left off, so hopefully they keep the same energy as my avi

I'd been hearing buzz about it, didn't realize it was going to be a continuation. I really liked that series, one of the most important and best television shows in American history imo. It dealt with mature themes and actually had a progressing storyline and character development. I don't recall any cartoon really doing that before, and TV in general didn't at the time. This show needs to get way more credit than it gets.

I didn't get to watch them all in order until sometime after it aired. I don't remember how it ended though.

Why'd you post this in the SFV thread though?

2 hours ago, Serpent said:

Why'd you post this in the SFV thread though?

We were just talking about scam callers 5 posts ago.

This thread is SFV-themed in-name only, most of us already dropped that shit like a combo. 🤣

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I keep calling me from different numbers no matter how much I block them. 

The real unblockable... 🤣

47 minutes ago, elliephil said:

I got a call in Mandarin supposedly from my phone provider. I looked up online if anyone else got this and someone translated it.

"Hello, we are calling from the Chinese Department of Rogers Communications"

Sounds legit.

I don’t believe shit until they state my name. If not, I assume it’s bait… Even then, I still assume that, but they have my attention at least.

edit: forgot this happened in Mandarin, lol. I’d just hang up. 

Edited by Mattatsu
4 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I don’t believe shit until they state my name. If not, I assume it’s bait… Even then, I still assume that, but they have my attention at least.

edit: forgot this happened in Mandarin, lol. I’d just hang up. 

I love trolling the air duct people though.

"Are you interested in this service?"

"Hell yeah brother."

"Great, how many rooms in your home?"

"12 rooms bruh."

"Wow that is so many, how many square feet is that?"

"eight hunnid."

Hangs up.

8 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

What seems to be the problem?

The fact that it's an entire game about finding stuff I either don't need, don't want or won't use. Then the whole game is just that constantly. Game could be called "Questing for worthless shit" and it'd make more sense.

There's a "magic system". The way it works is thst you have some goofy blue bar that fills up by hitting enemies. Then depending on the spell, it gets subdivided into how many times you can use it. But you can't cycle through spells with a button, because that would be handy. Instead I have to go into the menu, go over and change the spell I have equipped. So if I'm in the middle of a fight, you gotta pause the whole game just to do this. You know who used to do that? Megaman back when you only had two buttons. 

But thats okay because all of your spells are basically irrelevant. I have 95% of the map unlocked, 10 odd spells and I've legitimately used them for combat like 3 times. And those 3 times were for the sake of using them, not because I really need. I just wanted to force the issue. Then if you die, you lose all your MP. So great, if you miss a jump, then you respawn and lose MP and fuck it don't bother with magic at all.

I'm typing with my thumbs so I can't really go in. But good lord is the whole game just poorly thought out shit all the time. That or just inane fetch questing.  

This is how well thought out some stuff is. You can upgrade your weapon for extra abilities. Cool idea, what can I get? Well what you can get is a dive attack. Sounds awesome, right? Wrong. See you don't have that tall of a jump. And then the way the dive activates, you gotta do one air attack first and then you can dive. So you have an attack to dive on an enemy that where if you can jump over them, you can just keep running around them like fuck it. If you wanna kill them, its easier to just hit them normally. Then after a chunk of the map unlocked, you don't even get a double jump. So for the bigger enemies you might wanna use a fancy attack on...you can't. Because you can't jump high enough to do your dive on them.

There's more to the levels of random dumbshit this game has. I got a good 800 more words on how poorly thought out some stuff is.  The good part is the aesthetic. The bad part is how they tried to be super clever just to do basic things. So overly clever that you forget wtf you were even trying to do at some points. 

I'm gonna get the bad ending on purpose just to see the main character suffer. I'm so fucking tired of dealing with this stuff. You got Teleport rooms. But they are so poorly positioned that depending on what you're doing, its better to use a save point as a means to fast travel. How? The game is constantly auto saving. So you don't have save points, you have respawn points. Depending on how you're exploring, the best bet is to activate a respawn point close to a teleport room, go explore then exit out of the game and reload the save to avoid having to backtrack. This is easier and faster than moving in game.

Thats how fucking stupid my playthrough has gotten. I exit out into the main menu and reload my save to move around. Fuck this game, its actually shit.

26 minutes ago, Sonero said:

You got Teleport rooms. But they are so poorly positioned that depending on what you're doing, its better to use a save point as a means to fast travel. How? The game is constantly auto saving. So you don't have save points, you have respawn points. Depending on how you're exploring, the best bet is to activate a respawn point close to a teleport room, go explore then exit out of the game and reload the save to avoid having to backtrack. This is easier and faster than moving in game.

Thats how fucking stupid my playthrough has gotten. I exit out into the main menu and reload my save to move around. Fuck this game, its actually shit.

Ocarina of Time vibes. 🤣

Edited by Volt

So the flycast CvS2 is pretty much dead now. It was plagued with input delay and dropped inputs, but CvS2 is CvS2 and I was having a blast. I hope they fix it and people come back but fighting games...most people do quit them within a few months. Most of the reason it was so easy to get matches was because of a lot of beginners trying the game out. They weren't good but who cares, games are for fun. I was just triple randoming most of the time. But knowing my fellow players, I assume most other vets were just using their best teams and just trying to beat down the new players relentlessly, and of course most people don't have fun with that, and I can't help but wonder if that drove a lot of the new players away. I'll cross my fingers and blame the emulator for now and check back in a few months from now.

I know this gets brought up a lot, but I wonder if there's any way to make FGs more fun for people, not just new players but all players. They really need to figure out a way to get more coop and non-competitive things to do in there, to get a more casual experience. Maybe they should have a "random select only" queue, and maybe a team party queue. Back in the day we used to have a kof6p mode where everyone gets to control a char and you just play as a team. I really got into kof98 from that, obviously it wasn't the best from a competitive standpoint but it was fun as hell. You'd try to balance the teams out and pick different chars too, and win or lose it didn't matter, you'd also get to see how other people deal with things and play. FG devs really need to incorporate stuff like this, like how DOTA was an offshoot of a mod, this stuff has already been done by emu/online devs but didn't get picked up by the companies themselves. There were also 2v2 options for xvsf and mvc. Fightcade doesn't have any of these things and the original dev that put this stuff in has moved on (although I still talk to him sometimes). I'll never understand why the community and the FG devs are just so opposed to trying these ideas.

2 hours ago, Serpent said:

So the flycast CvS2 is pretty much dead now. It was plagued with input delay and dropped inputs, but CvS2 is CvS2 and I was having a blast. I hope they fix it and people come back but fighting games...most people do quit them within a few months. Most of the reason it was so easy to get matches was because of a lot of beginners trying the game out. They weren't good but who cares, games are for fun. I was just triple randoming most of the time. But knowing my fellow players, I assume most other vets were just using their best teams and just trying to beat down the new players relentlessly, and of course most people don't have fun with that, and I can't help but wonder if that drove a lot of the new players away. I'll cross my fingers and blame the emulator for now and check back in a few months from now.

I know this gets brought up a lot, but I wonder if there's any way to make FGs more fun for people, not just new players but all players. They really need to figure out a way to get more coop and non-competitive things to do in there, to get a more casual experience. Maybe they should have a "random select only" queue, and maybe a team party queue. Back in the day we used to have a kof6p mode where everyone gets to control a char and you just play as a team. I really got into kof98 from that, obviously it wasn't the best from a competitive standpoint but it was fun as hell. You'd try to balance the teams out and pick different chars too, and win or lose it didn't matter, you'd also get to see how other people deal with things and play. FG devs really need to incorporate stuff like this, like how DOTA was an offshoot of a mod, this stuff has already been done by emu/online devs but didn't get picked up by the companies themselves. There were also 2v2 options for xvsf and mvc. Fightcade doesn't have any of these things and the original dev that put this stuff in has moved on (although I still talk to him sometimes). I'll never understand why the community and the FG devs are just so opposed to trying these ideas.

People will be all about a game until they get absolutely rekt by someone who knows how to play it. That's exactly what I predict will happen with MvC2, although if CvS2 is as bad as you say, it's no wonder it's dead. 

5 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

People will be all about a game until they get absolutely rekt by someone who knows how to play it. That's exactly what I predict will happen with MvC2, although if CvS2 is as bad as you say, it's no wonder it's dead. 

It's already happening and I ain't apologizing. You wanna pick low tier? Cool! I'm still playing Sentinel 🤖 

1 hour ago, Yiceman said:

Wasn't able to watch much of the RedBull Kumite live, but watching it now really makes me realize how much I've missed offline events. You don't get BrianF sheepishly admitting he won via an input error in an online event.

I was even getting hype watching GG Strive and Tekken, and I don't know anything about those games.

Yeah that type of admission by Brian shows what kind of man he is. He seems like a good dude, this just support it. The ChrisCCH pop off and Punk's surprisingly mature speech were other highlights for me. Well that and NL flipping a switch mid tourney. I thought he was done for when he got cooked by the Ryu player early on. I can't remember dude's name. it started with a U. His Ryu was really damned good.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Yeah that type of admission by Brian shows what kind of man he is. He seems like a good dude, this just support it. The ChrisCCH pop off and Punk's surprisingly mature speech were other highlights for me. Well that and NL flipping a switch mid tourney. I thought he was done for when he got cooked by the Ryu player early on. I can't remember dude's name. it started with a U. His Ryu was really damned good.

Yeah, both Brian F and Punk were pretty classy even in defeat.  You'd expect that from Brian but not necessarily from Punk.  Good stuff all around.

I also loved how Problem X "problem solved" NL and basically downloaded him to take 5 straight games.  NL had built up a ton of momentum and was basically wrecking everyone before Problem managed to turn the tide.  

Edited by HeavensCloud