Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

10 hours ago, Serpent said:

I wonder how Strive will affect SFV going forward, and how much Strive can maintain as well. Have we already or will we see the peak in the next week or so, or will we see growth for awhile and a real revival of FGs? It's been a looooong time since FGs were legit a major genre. It feels like everything else has gotten more moments to shine in the sun.

I haven't jumped on Strive but I might in the next couple of months. I just want to see if people are still playing it in 3 months.

If you're interested in Strive, I'd jump in now while everyone is still learning.  The first two months are the honeymoon phase before the population begins to taper off.  Strive will hang around longer than most though because the netcode is godlike.  

2 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

the combat was made to be very tense, and I think it’s from a combination of push-back, frame data, and movement speed, but there’s likely more to it than that. Regardless, I don’t find it fun. I find it stressful.

truly, I think 3S is the best SF game I have played (having barely played any of the alpha games, the other SF3 games, and SF4). Movement feels a lot more fluid, the combat is a lot less tense (with exception to dealing with Yun’s genei), and it’s not terribly hard to win off pokes and AAs alone. 3S definitely isn’t perfect  (I’m not a big fan of OS and air parries), and the matchmaking on 30A against randoms is atrocious, but it’s a really damn fun SF game. ST is very close behind it, but I swear there’s something going on in the code with the inputs that makes them inconsistent, and that drives me insane.

Yeah in SFV I feel like I'm in danger of eating big jump-in level damage even at max range footsies, because of VTC, fast dashes, and neutral-crash moves.  So instead of feeling stressed when I'm toe-to-toe in a scramble (which is normal for SF), I feel that way most of the time.  Relatedly, plasma ain't great. 

I only liked 3s when I'm Ken. Even Ryu feels clunky.  SF4 feels a lot like SF2 to me (non-ST) except 2 didn't have so many nigh-unblockables. Alpha 1 & 3 are super fun, but competitively Alpha 2 doesn't get too degenerate even if I don't care for CCs being so OP.  SF1 felt... non-responsive, to the point I returned to Karate Champ.  I don't have any experience with earlier SF3 but the backgrounds look amazing. 

Input issues with ST may have to do how it does frame skipping in order to speed up the game, unless they restored the original, intended inconsistency from WW. 😄 

tl;dr  Strive best SF. 

8 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

If you're interested in Strive, I'd jump in now while everyone is still learning.  The first two months are the honeymoon phase before the population begins to taper off.  Strive will hang around longer than most though because the netcode is godlike.  

That's the thing though, population could outright collapse in 2-3 months, in which case I don't know that I'd want to play it then. I feel like fighting games take so much time and commitment to learn properly that it's a waste to only play them a couple of months, I'd like to at least be able to play said game for a few years.

+r had (has?) a pretty active population so maybe Strive also will be fine. I dunno though. I haven't really played fighting games, especially seriously, for a very long time. And with said long layoff and with age, I don't know if would again. I'm just kind of keeping an eye on things. I played X, #r, and whatever was in between some 20 years ago, so I have some familiarity, but I won't know how much carryover there is. But a 10+ year SF layoff wasn't too bad so maybe 20 years on GG would be fine too, I dunno. I'm interested if its popular and maintains a large playerbase but otherwise, meh, I'd rather just casually play some old FC2 titles that I already played before and not worry about learning new things.

9 hours ago, Serpent said:

That's the thing though, population could outright collapse in 2-3 months, in which case I don't know that I'd want to play it then. I feel like fighting games take so much time and commitment to learn properly that it's a waste to only play them a couple of months, I'd like to at least be able to play said game for a few years.

+r had (has?) a pretty active population so maybe Strive also will be fine. I dunno though. I haven't really played fighting games, especially seriously, for a very long time. And with said long layoff and with age, I don't know if would again. I'm just kind of keeping an eye on things. I played X, #r, and whatever was in between some 20 years ago, so I have some familiarity, but I won't know how much carryover there is. But a 10+ year SF layoff wasn't too bad so maybe 20 years on GG would be fine too, I dunno. I'm interested if its popular and maintains a large playerbase but otherwise, meh, I'd rather just casually play some old FC2 titles that I already played before and not worry about learning new things.

Strive's netcode is so good that people will give it looks every once in a while. They're working on that Crossplay too, so it'll be SFV-tier popular at worst.

Let's see if the server maintenance produces some results.  If we can set up good lobbies, I can see people playing this for a long time.

One thing I hope doesn't happen with strive that SFV did (and is a big reason I don't want to take the time to learn it) is just piling on the system mechanics. 

I get decision fatigue in SF games at this point... It's part of the reason I never really got on with MvC:

Pick your character

Pick your costume

Pick the color of the costume

Pick your V trigger

Pick your V Skill

Pick your nose

Pick what your character will have for dinner later

Pick your characters best friend

Why are they best friends? Please submit a 5 paragraph essay on the topic

Are they really friends? Or are they just lonely and need some kind of human contact?

What % of the cast smell bad? Over 50%? submit your answer below!

Then you actually get to the fight. Fuck that. 

Strive: PICK YOUR CHARACTER! PICK A COLOR! YOU PICKED THE GROSSEST ONE. GOOD. 

Eagle Screech

LET'S ROCK 

49 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Pick your nose

May players... 🤣

50 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Strive: PICK YOUR CHARACTER! PICK A COLOR! YOU PICKED THE GROSSEST ONE. GOOD. 

Eagle Screech

LET'S ROCK 

I was actually surprised you gotta go out of your way to pick the music by pressing Start. It's nice that it gets saved too.

Once you get past the lobbies, the game is crazy fast to get you into the action, and you don't even need to get into them because of the quick match thing. Just sit in training mode and get it rolling. 

Obviously that's not optimal because you lose out on judging people for having suboptimal drip. But the trade-off is kinda nice.

1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

One thing I hope doesn't happen with strive that SFV did (and is a big reason I don't want to take the time to learn it) is just piling on the system mechanics. 

I get decision fatigue in SF games at this point... It's part of the reason I never really got on with MvC:

I think you'll be safe there. Odds are high that we will see in-match mechanics evolve as the game goes on (my wildcard bet: FB specials makes a return) but if you look at ArcSys games as a whole they rarely have a lot of that pregame selection. I think its because the characters themselves are often so idiosyncratic, you don't really get broad "toggle" mechanics as often as you get in Capcom games. The only one I can really think of is the Shadow versions for P4A though I could be flaking on others.

Also IMO a lot of that stuff for SFV is system spackle to try to smooth out the bumps with the design. Or costumes for thirst. Which funds more spackle.

This week has been hella busy. 

So I am going to see if I can edit something else. The next vid I am editing will have at least one SFV match and one KOFXIV match in their interlude as the vid will primary deal with DOA. I am debating on getting VF5U as well to upload some cool ass matches. 

As of right now, I am getting some decent matches here and there, though much like @SkortI'm hitting the cancel function a lot of the time because people keep trying to come up in here with them 1 bar connections. And, I'm enjoying the living hell out Rose's sexy swimsuit mod variation. 

3 hours ago, Mr.Cipher said:

Hmm I heard of this change.
DPs are still invulnerable to Strikes, but you can throw them now.

What is a weird change, but nothing to bad in my opinion.

My freshly Pot-Bustered Ky disagrees strongly.  Thank you Hawkingbird for the lesson.  😭 

OTOH it made me re-lookup the backdash inv. frames for Ky after our set.  (5f) 

EDIT:

4f for May, Millia; 6f for Pot, Nago;  everyone else 5f

total backdash duration is similar:   16f for May, Millia; 24f for Pot, Nago; all others 20f

Edited by Pair of Rooks

lol people on twitter still expecting a new rival schools and some like a new darkstalkers? some of this people are also asking a new Capcom allstars at the same time.

marvel vs capcom and a new Capcom allstar with mahvel like gameplay is reasonable since its in a separate demographic

if they wanted their request and demand to be viewed valuable by companies like capcom and etc.

This fans needs to be straight forward and realistic not scattered, So gaming companies will have proper way of gauging their interest and feedback instead of seeing them being random or the typical seasonal bandwagon request like requesting darkstalkers, later rival school and then capcom all start depending on a particular season and trends. Or the worst wanted them all at the same time.

Gaming companies are not doing their own FG brands to compete with each other at the same time because its a bad business practice mentioned many times that divide their consumer and they are not doing multiple FG games for the sake of doing games, they gauge interest to know if it is feasible and profitable.

FG season is over the last time was 2008 it manage to be successful because it was absent for a long time, things are different because of tons of FGs in the market also include the indie dev that are doing good FGs in the market.

They could be done all at the same time but for a special condition gameplay should be standout and not something would compete with another popular FGs.

SNK manage to pull it off with KOF and Samsho because they stick with it's popular brand of gameplay they are know for years. There was even a time where Samsho lost it's brand of gameplay and tried to be something else like Toshiden, Soul Calibur and etc.

SNK manage to put in SNK heroines for it being a casual FG game and not a serious title and probably a budget title.

And beside from metal slug, FGs is the only thing SNK has compare to Bamco and Capcom. While Arcsys is a different story.

3 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

SNK manage to pull it off with KOF and Samsho because they stick with it's popular brand of gameplay they are know for years. There was even a time where Samsho lost it's brand of gameplay and tried to be something else like Toshiden, Soul Calibur and etc.

They tried to bring SamSho into 3d and the one game is absolutely beautiful, it just plays strangely if you're used to 2d SamSho. 

But the series has gone through so many changes. 1 & 2 are probably the most alike of any of them, the rest are all like the SF games in that they're pretty different in some ways, so much so that you could be really good at one but that may not carry over to another so much. 

8 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

lol people on twitter still expecting a new rival schools and some like a new darkstalkers? some of this people are also asking a new Capcom allstars at the same time. [...]

Add to that that literally the entirey of Capcom's lineup up to 2023/2024 has been leaked last year with zero mentions of Rival Schools and Darkstalkers.

We know we will get SFVI next year and Power Stone the year after, but that's all the fighting game related stuff they're going to release in the foreseeable future. Really no reason to hope for more when the official documents don't mention anything else.

2 hours ago, delete_me said:

We know we will get SFVI next year and Power Stone the year after, but that's all the fighting game related stuff they're going to release in the foreseeable future. Really no reason to hope for more when the official documents don't mention anything else.

Yeah Powerstone can stand on it's own because it's unique that even created it's own genre. Many indie is trying to fill that spot but still isn't going to the level and hype of Powerstone.

On other news

While Capcom just leave behind MVCi to fade

Edited by Shakunetsu
2 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

Yeah Powerstone can stand on it's own because it's unique that even created it's own genre. Many indie is trying to fill that spot but still isn't going to the level and hype of Powerstone.

On other news

While Capcom just leave behind MVCi to fade

I pretty much confirmed backstage at Capcom Cup that such an update isn't in Capcom's court.  They'd have an easier time revisiting SFxT because I was told unlike MvC or CvS, SFxT is completely in Capcom's court hence why it's been available in online stores for nearly a decade now.  

11 minutes ago, GreatDarkHero said:

Nintendo done put Kazuya in Smash. 

It's ballsy. But, I wonder how the players of that game are going to respond to EWGF combos and BDC and all that good shit. 

I can already see the Galaxy Brained comments towards the character. Just sit back, grab yourselves some popcorn, and watch. 

It'll mostly be why that character and not my character. 

19 hours ago, GreatDarkHero said:

Nintendo done put Kazuya in Smash. 

It's ballsy. But, I wonder how the players of that game are going to respond to EWGF combos and BDC and all that good shit. 

I can already see the Galaxy Brained comments towards the character. Just sit back, grab yourselves some popcorn, and watch. 

They're already calling him a Shoto. 🤣

20210616_062911.jpg

honestly, is there any character that they could put in smash at this point that wouldn't result in a bunch of complaints? 

The character:

• couldn't have a sword
  • couldn't be a fighting game character
  • has to be sexy for the hornies, but toned down enough for the SJWs
  • Has to be universally recognizable
  • can't be from a franchise that already has more than two representatives
  • Can't be too weird (RIP tetris block) 
  • Can't be too generic