Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

10 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

Something about that design just… doesn’t fit right for me?

maybe it’s because there is too much going on? Like SF designs are usually an exercise in simplicity, so the more overwrought ones kinda stand out?

Well I think it's a great design that doesn't necessarily work all that well for Street Fighter. You want practicality, functionality and a sufficient contrast from the background. I think this is an exercise in trying to establish uniqueness from the rest of the cast, and I think that artwork up above is perfect for it. I think Luke looks awesome, but jury is still out for me on whether it's great game design yet.

3 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

so it’s not strange that my first impression may be more negative than my final.

No, Luke looks like a flaming douchebag.

The part of FGs that are like "yeah, I wanna play a cool looking character" instantly rejects it because nobody wants to be that guy downing Bud Lights while trying to do sing Butterfly in karaoke.

But, that is the character we got so we'll embrace the Satsui no Grey Goose:

Thanks guys.

Its been a fucking crazy 18 hours.  Trying to tell your daughter some of the worst news possible when she knows what it is and doesn't want to hear it is an awful experience. My brain has been trying to do the things I would normally do in the day too. Woke up and the first thing I wanted to do was go take him out of his kennel so he could go pee outside and get fed.

Cleaned up some of his stuff but man, these last two years can just go get tossed in a septic tank. Just unending bullshit with them.

7 hours ago, Sonero said:

Man...my dog got run over and died last night.

I hate these last two years.

Sorry man, that's always rough.

I'm gonna try this beta, even though I've never played a KOF before. Hopefully there's some kind of basic tutorial and I don't have to learn on the fly.

35 minutes ago, Yiceman said:

Sorry man, that's always rough.

I'm gonna try this beta, even though I've never played a KOF before. Hopefully there's some kind of basic tutorial and I don't have to learn on the fly.

Every KOF (with a few exceptions) is basically more or less the same.

You run, roll, jump, and short hop.  There are 4 attack buttons.

The only thing that differs between games is how much custom combo stuff there is.  In XIII and XIV people will pop max mode and then juggle you to death, but not every KOF is like that.  We'll see how XV shakes out.

Because I don't have a PS4 anymore? To be clear, my stick will still work on PS4 games (via BC). 

It a serous question though about cross play though, because I don't really want to buy and new FG's on the PS5 right now as I can't make my stick work (I will need to look into if there's a new adapter). But fuck, this used to work fine over the summer (last time I really played the PS5) and they changed something and now I'm fucked.

Wait, is the Beta also on PS4? I didn't see that in the store, but if its on PS4, I bet I can download that version and use my stick.

1 hour ago, Yiceman said:

Yeah I was getting a ton of DPs when I meant to do QCF, especially since most of the combos seem to be chaining into a forward command normal cancelled into a special. It's even more sensitive than Street Fighter in that regard.

Yeah. When you do a close normal into command normal (the standard KOF confirm), you gotta release the command normal direction straight away.

Its also more important than in other games to figure out how to "nest" inputs into each other. Won't fix the overlap issues though.

I have so many questions about KOF15... but I can't play it right now to test things out. sadface.

I always had this weird way of distinguishing between different KOFs as being clunky or not clunky, which I'm sure doesn't really make sense but once you look into some weird nuances of the previous games, maybe it makes sense.

For example, 2002 has a 4 frame input "delay" on all normals which basically means you have to do everything early a lot of the time. Furthermore, there was a buffer in 2002 where sometimes instead of simply pressing a button you would hold it down during certain inputs to make it easier. To play 2002 optimally, I feel it can be clunky at times but it is still a great game with lots to learn.

Compare this to a game like KOF12, it's much simpler and I would call it not clunky but extremely simplified to the point that maybe some would consider it a wawa baby game compared to the other entries. It basically had game mechanics designed to remove the technical aspects that most KOF games had built a legacy upon in favor of catering to newer players. Examples, the clash system and the critical counter (basically custom combo that gets activated on counterhit and with full CC meter) game mechanics. Clashes happened when attacks of equal strength hit at the same time and caused both characters to backdash (hop? can't remember, been too long) away from eachother. The stupid part about this system was that you could clash with projectiles, your character would dash away, you could cancel that dash into a forward dash and basically nullify a lot of zoning styles. Not clunky but definitely one of the worst modern KOF titles if you ask the dudes that actually play these games for real.

KOF14 seemed pretty straight forward to play. I wish I would have spent more time with it but games like SFV took a lot of attention away from it I think for it to garner any serious attention. I'm not a huge KOF / SNK fan but I hope the new game builds upon KOF14 well enough, just as a casual player looking in.

looking a project L they are also going power rangers route like having mahvel like features without the vertical scroll

vertical scroll is essential to mahvel because of their marvel side of characters I hope if capcom would return mahvel they won't go the route of no exagerated vertical  scroll

the Echo character in project l reminds me of flashback mechanic from sirlin project

about simplifying controls it like a still evolving meta that everyone stills trying to find out which is which would be the standard, it's like the dozen of iteration of team, assist and tag mechanics in early 2ks in fgs.