Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

14 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Speaking of KI, I finally ordered myself a good Pc to run games on, and bought KI which is on sale on steam.

new PC should come in around the 16th, so if anyone’s up for playing it around the holidays, feel free to let me know and I’ll keep track of it.

also, bought Doom Eternal and will finally get FC2 up and running to properly play 3S and MVC2

I will literally install FC2 on my fucking Macbook to play 3S specifically with you again.

I have not played in months and I do not give a fuck.

Edited by Dayaan
1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

Having played games that done it better it's not something I'm willing to overlook.

Playing games that have done what better? I was on GGPO in 08 playing Japanese player with super crispy netcode.

Strive's implementation of rollback has been consistently better for me than a lot of others. People huff and puff about how the lobby system is bad, but its just a 2D version of the same lobby system all other arcsys games have already. Me trying to find a match on the GBVS Boat, or the BlazBlu arcade cabinets, or the Strive 2 stuff is all the same malarkey.

But lets talk about really shitty lobbies because SF5 has one of the stupidest. Did you know that after a match is done, both players are not put into the lobby simultaneously? That means that in SF5 you can win a lobby match and forced back into the lobby to ready up well AFTER the loser was sent there. Which means that the person you play next can hit ready, put you in the 10 second timer and then bump you out of the top spot and you lose your ability to play again.

Hell the other day SF5 just dropped a match after we readied up. It went to the face off screen, both players chose their triggers and then I went back to the main menu like nothing had happened.

That shit is about as much bullshit blazing as the Strive lobby randomly doing its hiccups. But it doesn't matter because its working a lot of the time. There's already a lot of obtuse stuff in a lot of other games that doesn't get brought up. Hell the way that KoF 15 highlights things is ugly as hell, and it took me like 4 minutes to figure out the unintuitive way of storing teams, but at least it got there and it was pretty alright.

There are already concurrent games that do stuff in awkward ways, which is why I'm not too hung up on Strive as a whole. Instead we gotta talk about how these two bum ass games that people don't play have great netcode too. KI is so good that the last vid Sajam did on it was 8 months ago. Psychoblue has put in more work on SFxT and MvCi than people who love KI have put into it in the last year....with taht great ass lobby/netcode.

48 minutes ago, Volt said:

It's a disservice to this game that the trailers are being uploaded in nasty 30fps.

Until I get official confirmation of the netcode, I already read your post BornWinner so don't come at me with that, this game doesn't exist.

All they need to do is say it has the same/improved  strive netcode and then I'll worry about being hype.

1 hour ago, Volt said:

It's a disservice to this game that the trailers are being uploaded in nasty 30fps.

Characters look neat tho, this Inquisitor chick looks cool.

I want more info, not enough info about the game.

Tell me this is not another "easy for beginner" type of game, the last 5 years have shown that this is just a stupid idea.

40 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

I will literally install FC2 on my fucking Macbook to play 3S specifically with you again.

I have not played in months and I do not give a fuck.

I have not played 3S in months either… Let’s do it though. I’m excited. I’ll let you know when it’s in and I’m setup. I’d imagine I’d be okay to play by Sun. Dec. 19th as long as it isn’t delayed.

looking forward to this new computer tbh. It’s going to pretty quick so I’ll be on it more often than my last one (which was practically never).

37 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Playing games that have done what better? I was on GGPO in 08 playing Japanese player with super crispy netcode.

I'm talking about a games online suite as a whole, not just it's netcode. I honestly can't praise Strive online as a whole like a gold standard when there's so much wrong with it.  I never been the type to ignore everything just because it got the thing I like right. Games are a sum of it's parts and not the one thing. 

I need your copy of Strive because the lobbies only work half the time for me. Random boots, spending a minute or two actually getting a connection established with a player and other nonsense. Being online in Strive is a chore. 

When it comes to SFV, I only do ranked and casuals. I avoid lobbies entirely as the game allows me to do that. I'm only in one if I get an invite.

7 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I have not played 3S in months either… Let’s do it though. I’m excited. I’ll let you know when it’s in and I’m setup. I’d imagine I’d be okay to play by Sun. Dec. 19th as long as it isn’t delayed.

looking forward to this new computer tbh. It’s going to pretty quick so I’ll be on it more often than my last one (which was practically never).

Now I may have to try and get FC running on PC. I was trying to do so to play 2i online but I couldn't it to work. So basically said F the whole thing.

47 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Okay what are we debating here. Netcode or the overall online experience? You can have great netcode with shitty lobby's or vice versa. I'd prefer the former to the latter that said, if a game doesn't both. That should be the standard.

I personally disagree with Strive being a gold standard. NRS games have that honor in my book as it's online experience shits on everything currently available in the fighting game market. 

Edited by Hawkingbird
26 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I personally disagree with Strive being a gold standard. NRS games have that honor in my book as it's online experience shits on everything currently available in the fighting game market. 

Yeah I agree with you. Say what you will about NRS' gameplay, their online is what the standard should be. Japan is still trying to catch up to MKX's revised netcode & online.

Strive lets you make a little avatar with multiple clothes, lets you decorate a whole ass house for when you have personal lobbies with friends, you can easily walk around really nice area to find matches (and if you don't you can easily look at everybody who is playing to find a character you want games against) BUT,

Menu with garishly decorated online names followed by more menus with garishly decorated online names is better. Rev 2 had better player lobbies than this.

I don't like the ArcSys lobby systems in general but holy shit do they have way more personality than this. If these lobbies were any more joyless they'd have corporate jobs at Walmart.

5 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Strive lets you make a little avatar with multiple clothes, lets you decorate a whole ass house for when you have personal lobbies with friends, you can easily walk around really nice area to find matches (and if you don't you can easily look at everybody who is playing to find a character you want games against) BUT,

Menu with garishly decorated online names followed by more menus with garishly decorated online names is better. Rev 2 had better player lobbies than this.

I don't like the ArcSys lobby systems in general but holy shit do they have way more personality than this. If these lobbies were any more joyless they'd have corporate jobs at Walmart.

Honestly, the lobby system in MK11 is better (imo) because there isn’t a lobby. You just chose to search for a match and it finds one, quickly. No messing around with NES looking characters at sea world.

also, in MK11, you can see the opponent’s ping and if they’re wireless before accepting the match.

33 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

You just chose to search for a match and it finds one, quickly. No messing around with NES looking characters at sea world.

also, in MK11, you can see the opponent’s ping and if they’re wireless before accepting the match.

Yeah, I could do with a Wifi sniffer. But TBH, watching other people moving around makes the the game feel way livelier than just some text boxes. It makes the game feel alive rather than transactional.

AND I can have penguins, giraffes AND Giovanna's Dog in my house. NRS games just get stuck with maybe some of Ed Boon's eyebrow hair. I can put a damn Brachiosaurus and tricerotaups in this bitch.

AND I can make multiple homes and cycle them for lobbies? ArcSys please let these heathens, who don't have either pet penguins or pet owls in their lobbies, what's good with all this.

Yeah the connecting and some stuff is silly. But ArcSys is working on the issues they had while still trying to make being online a nice experience overall. Just waiting around for SF5 to decide it wants to connect to somebody is fine and all that but goddamn if at this point I would rather stare at some nice background rather than netflix refreshing.

5 hours ago, FlyingVe said:

What is with all you crazy people talking up Halo reach.

Halo reach has the second worst Halo multiplayer outside of CE (which barely has multiplayer at all).

🙂

I’ve only played CE, Reach, Infinite, and a tiny bit of 3 so I’m not some halo connoisseur or anything. 

My main problems with Infinite are:

1. You can’t actually select or exclude game modes from a playlist. Real tired of being forced to play Oddball. 

2. Audio design is trash. Someone can be mag dumping right behind you 20m away and you have no idea where you are even being shot from until you are half dead because footsteps and guns make almost no noise. 

3. I absolutely hate the weapon selection. Classic guns have been removed and there is way too many niche or off the wall gun designs. Skewer is literally the Spartan laser but worse, the DMR is just gone, the plasma pistol doesn’t stun vehicles anymore because ???, the shotgun is so weak it’s not even a power weapon anymore, etc. 

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

When did you care about fluff in a fighting game? Arc wasted time and resources turning their lobby system into a 8 bit Roblox. It created problems that didn't need to be there if it used a conventional lobby system. Because wandering around sea world and heaven is definitely what I want to do in a lobby. Having to watch time wasting animations of victory or defeat when I want to move on to the next game.

I'll definitely take MK11 lobbies over that trash. You instantly know who is in the lobby, what's everyone bing, who's on Wi-Fi, what's their disconnect rate, pick and chose who's available without needing to ready up. It's designed to get you in the game as quickly as possible while giving you the necessary info. But hey, you make a house! 

9 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I’ve only played CE, Reach, Infinite, and a tiny bit of 3 so I’m not some halo connoisseur or anything. 

My main problems with Infinite are:

1. You can’t actually select or exclude game modes from a playlist. Real tired of being forced to play Oddball. 

2. Audio design is trash. Someone can be mag dumping right behind you 20m away and you have no idea where you are even being shot from until you are half dead because footsteps and guns make almost no noise. 

3. I absolutely hate the weapon selection. Classic guns have been removed and there is way too many niche or off the wall gun designs. Skewer is literally the Spartan laser but worse, the DMR is just gone, the plasma pistol doesn’t stun vehicles anymore because ???, the shotgun is so weak it’s not even a power weapon anymore, etc. 

I don't entirely disagree on any of those points however, there are at least counterpoints for some them:

1: I agree entirely. I am okay with ranked being whatever they want to rank you on, but the unranked should at least have more playlists. There are many game types in the game that aren't accessible right now (in fact custom games are completely broken at the moment). I hope that this is still a side effect of things being in beta and there may be changes on Dec 8 when the game actually releases... but I won't get my hopes up.

2: This isn't my experience at all. While footsteps are definitely quite than Halo 5, I don't really have any issue with telling where stuff is happening. So I dunno, could be pc/console differences, settings, or sound system differences.

3: Most of the guns are still there, or at a minimum their functions are. I think they worked hard to remove weapon overlap. For example, for close range 1 hit kills, the sword does that, so they made the shotgun do something else. Now the shotgun is a tier 2 weapon and not a power weapon. It kills faster than the load out weapons, but doesn't duplicate the function of the sword. As for the spartan laser, good riddance. That weapon has been a disaster since it was introduced. Likewise, plasma pistol doesn't EMP any more (reverted to Halo 1/2), because the new electric damage type does that. I don't like all the weapons, but I like that most of the guns have a unique function, which is different that Halo 5 where the guns were balanced but similar or Halo 1-4 where only the BR and power weapons mattered.

Also, the DMR is the stalker rifle. Though the Stalker rifle is arguably closer to the H1 pistol with its 3HK.

5 hours ago, FlyingVe said:

It gives people a way out of something that is guaranteed in other games. That runs some people the wrong way. While I do think that many of those people don’t really understand the system, people like different things.

it’s the same reason lots of people hate parry in 3S as another example. 

Fair enough. I think it's a little silly to call it the "worst mechanic ever" because it's an integral part of the game. If you're getting "combo broken" or just guessing everytime, you aren't playing the game properly. 

Just say you don't like the game at that point lol

27 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

For me it's capture the flag. I hate that mode so fucking much. I actually like Oddball and it sucks it doesn't come up more often. 

12 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

3. I absolutely hate the weapon selection. Classic guns have been removed and there is way too many niche or off the wall gun designs. Skewer is literally the Spartan laser but worse, the DMR is just gone, the plasma pistol doesn’t stun vehicles anymore because ???, the shotgun is so weak it’s not even a power weapon anymore, etc

I'll take the Skewer over the laser. You point at someone and they just die. I love that gun 

26 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

The problem with the laser is basically that it was too good, and there was no counterplay to it. The skewer is a "fixed" laser.

But being killed by it feels exactly the same as being killed by the laser and using it you now have to deal with the travel time and arc. 

It’s literally just worse to use with the same feels bad 1HKO. It’s not less annoying because the gun takes like a very slight amount of skill to use now lol

4 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

But being killed by it feels exactly the same as being killed by the laser and using it you now have to deal with the travel time and arc. 

It’s literally just worse to use with the same feels bad 1HKO. It’s not less annoying because the gun takes like a very slight amount of skill to use now lol

The problem wasn't being 1HK, most power weapons have 1HK potential. The problem was it shut down vehicles too hard. The skewer requires more skill, and is no where near the freebie that the laser was. Both are improvements.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

When did you care about fluff in a fighting game?

Apparently I did after spending time looking at the experience that ArcSys chose to gave their game. It was already a type of system I didn't like. So given that I didn't like but had to live with it, I got to look around with it.

I get to jump in daily, in some cases see some familiar faces. If dudes recognize me they jump in to catch games etc. People walking around makes it lively. I log in and seeing hella people on feels like I'm going to actively looking for stuff rather than passively doing so. Only way they could make that better is if I could just peep matches being played on the floors.

Most of the hate for the lobby  has been waaaaaaaaaaay overblown. The real issues are the failure to connect. Any time the game does that its buttcheeks. But people also don't pay attention to what they are trying to connect to. Game does random things to place you in games. Because its doing that ,it can't let people just run around and force their way in or it'd bork things.

You can wait in training mode for games, you can actively look for them between two floors and the park area. Game lets you give people props for good games. Experience wise its actually waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay nicer than the glory hole roulette you get in SF5.

So yeah, turns out ArcSys put a bit more thought into the feeling of the situation. Could it'd be better? Definitely. But is it actually bad? Nah.

31 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

You doing work or otherwise bing hard on the boots? Or is more just for walking around?

Just for walking around maybe snow. Nothing too specialized just a brand that will last. This person specifically has a problem with their shoes wearing out really fast that’s all.

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

et to jump in daily, in some cases see some familiar faces. If dudes recognize me they jump in to catch games etc. People walking around makes it lively. I log in and seeing hella people on feels like I'm going to actively looking for stuff rather than passively doing so. Only way they could make that better is if I could just peep matches being played on the floors

I would agree with this except that each floor or park is actually a series of 32-man public lobby rooms instead of... not. 

It's like they're reusing some FPS's 20-year-old deathmatch code for the lobbies instead of some MMORPG code.

On 11/29/2021 at 9:11 AM, Volt said:

Anime and Mahvel are built on this idea and people like these games for it. On the other hand, that's like saying "Man, every meal should have steak in it." At some point, people will want something different.

SF getting nasty anime shit would make it pretty much worse than the games that fully commit to it, and that's something that actually happened with 5, mind you. It's just not really SF's thing.

There's a difference between  "nasty anime shit " and making every character feel effective and like they could be dangerous in the right hands. Most companies balance by watering the characters down over time, which is sometimes warranted, but imo its a lazy approach.  Give me me a game where every character has steak rather than spam. 

6 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Didn't realize Luke's VS2 cancelled out the Shun Goku Satsu....erm Raging Demon

Initally looks funny but it completely makes sense as it's a grab. Now that I think about it, countering random EX Dolphin Dives with this thing must feel really good.