Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

I’m not too concerned about close range tbh, it was more dealing with HBS, your fans, and Fan-Nado from full screen. It just felt like I didn’t have many options and I hate that feeling.

I’ll have to check out the replays, but you were doing something to prevent me from just walking/dashing in. I just don’t remember what it was though lol.

Anyways, I’ve been meaning to pickup a counter for those situations for a while now (it’s always been a weakness with my variation), I just kept putting it off.

7 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Also it’s hilarious how worthless Frosts barrier move is

Yeah, I don’t know why they thought giving it protection for one projectile was enough. Same logic that went into Kitana’s Royal Protection (though RP is much better as it gives her damage buffs if it works).

2 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

I hope she feels better! You don't have to play if you need to take care of her. That matters a lot more.

No it’s all good. She got her booster shot yesterday and had chills this morning. Not much I can do for her, other than maybe making her a warm breakfast/coffee when she wakes up.

my computer is also in the next room so I can’t be mashing EX DPs while she’s sleeping

Edited by Mattatsu
1 hour ago, Volta said:

https://www.change.org/p/ben-bell-kickstart-campaign-for-mortal-kombat-trilogy-remake-with-ue5

Petition for a Mortal Kombat Trilogy remake. Don't feel pressured into signing it if you're not an MK player, but I might sneak into your house at night and stomp on your nuts if you don't.

I signed this a while ago, but WB will never greenlight it, even with 20 million signatures.

MK2/UMK3 is on Fightcade anyway, and the digitized sprites still hold up remarkably well.

Bro that game blows all the dicks. More people play SF2: Championship Edition with broken ass bison than people go back to revisit MK1. MK2 has an emotional spot in my heart, but there's a reason that, even with all the brokenness of it, UMK3 is the only version of it that sees any type of play.

There's a Russian dude who streams UMK3. Apparently there's a contingent of Russians who love that game.

48 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Honestly MK1 isn't actually a good game.

MK2 is better but its still kinda iffy. Better if you grew up with it than going back.

UMK3 is American Anime. Kids aren't about that life.

Yeah, I was obsessed with MK as a kid (and it’s probably still my favourite franchise today), but this is all true from a gameplay perspective.

MK1 is clunky (not just in limited animation frames, but with how walking actually works in that game), plus there are some weird interactions.

MK2 has technological improvements everywhere (including animations and movement), but there are still some weird interactions. The gameplay is still fairly stiff (the slow walking/jumping and fast moving specials don’t help).

UMK3 is definitely a better fighting game, but people who think MVC2 was too broken to play would be shocked at what goes on in UMK3 with its infinites and block-jab glitches.

2 hours ago, Sonero said:

MK2 is better but its still kinda iffy. Better if you grew up with it than going back.

MK Trilogy isn't a compilation of the first three games, though. It's basically UMK3 plus characters from 2, the bosses and original characters such as Rain and Ermac. A rebalanced version with modern graphics and rollback at the reduced price point would sell like hot cakes.

38 minutes ago, Volta said:

MK Trilogy isn't a compilation of the first three games, though. It's basically UMK3 plus characters from 2, the bosses and original characters such as Rain and Ermac. A rebalanced version with modern graphics and rollback at the reduced price point would sell like hot cakes.

Oh misread that.

Wait, isn't that the one with the 3v3 mode on it?  Shiiiet you want that nutty MK stuff:

21 hours ago, Sonero said:

MK1 hasn't aged well but neither have 95% of the fighting games from that era. It was special in a lot of ways though. There was nothing like it before in terms of the level of violence and the relative realism of it (these were actual people ripping each other's heads off, not sprites), digitized graphics, and just the style they went with. The series took a much more serious turn than pretty much any other franchise which is another thing that made the violence to stark.

It's also the first fighting game I remember whose sound design was so tightly interwoven with it's entire vibe. You walked into a big arcade with tons of machines and you could still hear that three note motif they pops up at the title screen or the announcer yelling "Fight!" over the din of it all.

So sure, it hasn't aged well, but it was the only game that came close to challenging SF2' hedgemony and it was pretty amazing for its time.

Edited by DoctaMario

Yeah, the thing that always stood out to me about MK1, was that it seriously had the vibe of an old Kung fu movie. Not just with the digitized actors and moves, but the stages, story, sounds and music. Even the fatalities to be honest. I never thought of the classic MK games as being too violent because I had already seen much more violent movies at the time. MK was just cool as shit. It made it real hard for me to go back to SF2 back then (but I did when SSF2 came out because I loved Fei Long, and the homage to Bruce Lee).

The special moves and character designs in MK were also just better to me, as well as the story. The story wasn’t too fleshed out in MK1, but it had a ton of mysticism. Where did Goro come from? How old was Shang Tsung? Did Reptile live at the bottom of the pit? It really did create a sense that there was a lot more going on than meets the eye and that was exciting. It made me care about the characters and once MK2 came around, it added out enough details that you could understand and start to piece together  the lore. MK2 did improve everything, and while it stepped away from the Kung fu movie vibe, it jumped head first into the mysterious elements MK1 had spawned. I was hooked.

Edited by Mattatsu