Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

3 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

MK3 was my first Mk even before i have saw Mk1 and Mk2 in the arcades.

Watching MK2 for the first time  was a hype ass arcade memory. Bunch of people around the cabinet, sign posted on the cab saying that nobody under 14 could play it and some dude playing Baraka with his creepy ass smile.

They definitely knew how the sell the sizzle.

2 hours ago, Sonero said:

Watching MK2 for the first time  was a hype ass arcade memory. Bunch of people around the cabinet, sign posted on the cab saying that nobody under 14 could play it and some dude playing Baraka with his creepy ass smile.

They definitely knew how the sell the sizzle.

Yeah same here. MK2 really brought it. It stuck around at my local arcade, even after 3 and 4 dropped it was populari enough to keep one arcade cab. Did your local arcade have "the big screen?" The most popular game at my local arcade got stuck on a large screen near the entrance that faced out towards the mall. So if you were getting cooked even passerby's saw it.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Did your local arcade have "the big screen." The most popular game at my local arcade got stuck on a large screen near the entrance that faced out towards the mall. So if you were getting cooked even passerby's saw it.

I didn't really get to have an "arcade" until I was...12-13? All the arcades in PR were in malls. Unless we were going to the mall for something, I had no way to get there consistently.

First game I saw with the big screen set up was MK3. That game looked super cool.  Years later the Gawd Game debuted on the showcase cab. 

Man kids don't know how much they are missing from not having arcades. 

@SoneroWhere I grew up, almost all arcades were in malls too. Mindboggle was my local arcade at the mall. It was directly across from the movie theatre. So I'd get my mom to drop me off a few hours before my movie would start and she'd give me $5 and I had to make it last. All the newest games were $0.75 a pop, I only got six chances at play the good stuff before I had to use my last $0.50 on some old discounted game. So if you didn't "get gud" there was a long weight before the movie started 😂

Side note: There was one stand alone arcade that opened right when MK3 dropped. We all went there for a bit but it wasn't a chain and the owner just could not keep up with the releases. He was doing good business but when UMK3 dropped and he didn't get the update.....he was basically done. 😔

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

Definitely not the direction I saw this conversation going

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/mortal-kombat?fbclid=IwAR2lEVS1HqdISpcfVfgU1dvV_A7GqhZ5PtXzR2nh4k31OsYmrtEY2EP98b8  

My fighting game journey necessitates that we are aware of the full debauchery our genre has wrought.

ever looked up the backstory on Gandara from Samurai Shodown?  

Edited by Psychoblue
30 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@SoneroWhere I grew up, almost all arcades were in malls too. Mindboggle was my local arcade at the mall. It was directly across from the movie theatre. So I'd get my mom to drop me off a few hours before my movie would start and she'd give me $5 and I had to make it last. All the newest games were $0.75 a pop, I only got six chances at play the good stuff before I had to use my last $0.50 on some old discounted game. So if you didn't "get gud" there was a long weight before the movie started 😂

Side note: There was one stand alone arcade that opened right when MK3 dropped. We all went there for a bit but it wasn't a chain and the owner just could keep up with the releases. He was doing good business but when UMK3 dropped and he didn't get the update.....he was basically done. 😔

The Holy Trinity of Arcades: The Mini-Golf, The Mall, and the Laundromat.  Sometimes you had them at the exits of Wal-marts, that's how I first found Mace the Dark Age.  Bowling Alleys and Skating Rinks were another one, I first found MK1 at the Skate Land in Chester!

49 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

The Holy Trinity of Arcades: The Mini-Golf, The Mall, and the Laundromat.  Sometimes you had them at the exits of Wal-marts, that's how I first found Mace the Dark Age.  Bowling Alleys and Skating Rinks were another one, I first found MK1 at the Skate Land in Chester!

Don't forget grocery and departments stores. I had one department store near me that had a Neo-Geo MVS multi cab. It was a single cab with multiple games on it. Plus it had the arcade version of Super Mario Bros which was slightly different that the NES game.

Side Note: Shout out to the old school "Red Hat" Pizza Hut restaurants. They were always good for a Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, or Galaga table style cab. Anyone remember those? It was like a table with a clear top that you sat down at.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 hour ago, Sonero said:

I didn't really get to have an "arcade" until I was...12-13? All the arcades in PR were in malls. Unless we were going to the mall for something, I had no way to get there consistently.

First game I saw with the big screen set up was MK3. That game looked super cool.  Years later the Gawd Game debuted on the showcase cab. 

Man kids don't know how much they are missing from not having arcades. 

I first discovered SF2 when I saw it being played on a big screen cab at the indoor mini-golf location, one of those screens with a ton of space between it and the sticks you played on.  Best looking game in the whole arcade.  

Arcades here are unregulated but secrets like fatalities are unknown to many and very seldom performed due to lack of media like local gaming magazine during the time of MK1 and MK2.

Most that knows it either had both expensive magazine or had photo copied one.

We got  local comic book with 2 page posting video game cheats but they mostly focus on snk and capcom games.

Maybe MK1 and Mk2 cab appeared less here because of its not easy to be pirated.

Pirated SF2 are all over the place here compare to the unpirated official versions.

Edited by Shakunetsu
4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Don't forget grocery and departments stores. I had one department store near me that had a Neo-Geo MVS multi cab. It was a single cab with multiple games on it. Plus it had the arcade version of Super Mario Bros which was slightly different that the NES game.

Side Note: Shout out to the old school "Red Hat" Pizza Hut restaurants. They were always good for a Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, or Galaga table style cab. Anyone remember those? It was like a table with a clear top that you sat down at.

The pizza hut in my hometown had Rampage and Bad Dudes, but eventually got an SF2 machine years later.

My hometown is podunk af, but it had this old school soda fountain that was on the main street and my friend across the street, his grandpa owned it and let his sister who had some kind of disability run it. But they had SF2, Final Fight, and a few other games in there which was incredibly random because I don't think anyone knew this place even existed. I used to fill my pockets with quarters and walk down there in the dead of winter just to play and I'd talk to the old lady which was nice. I heard she passed away probably 15-20 years ago and from what I understand, his grandpa refused to sell the place so all that stuff might still be there.

Edited by DoctaMario
29 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Man, I forgot how slow characters are in the MK games. Walkspeeds are kinda weird. Also anti airing in it seems weird. Goddamn single hits do hella damage. Really fun to see people win with 0 combos.

Case and point. 

Anti-airing in MKII specifically is a strange process. 

You'd have to rely on an uppercut, a preemptive air-to-air jump kick, or something else entirely. 

In the earlier Mortal Kombat games there was also this thing called "P2 priority" where player on the said side will have priority if... 

For example: 

A jumping kick from P1 interacts with the jump kick of P2. If there *is* an interaction? P2 wins. 

(I am not sure if that applies to "Ultimate" Mortal Kombat II as it is a rom hack update). 

This extends to UMK3 as well. Some pretty interesting stuff going on, especially at that time. 

34 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I was digging through some my closet and I found an old Tips & Tricks magazine. It had some coverage from fighting game tournaments from it's day. 

2znkUuq.jpg

q8nG21Y.jpg

UNfCBVG.jpg

Greatest shock to me is seeing James Chen getting second place in CvS

Holy shit...

This is true history right here... I'd have to politely call this... A Flawless Victory.

34 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I straight up cannot play a random online game and not get super nervous/anxious. Is that normal?

and casual/ranked doesn’t seem to matter

What, lately, or ever? 

Best advice vs nervousness is just keep doing it until it becomes boring.  I used to be nervous about phonecalls way back when. So I consciously took a job as a telemarketer for a summer.  Week one was rough but by the end of the summer  that problem was extremely dead.

7 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

What, lately, or ever? 

Best advice vs nervousness is just keep doing it until it becomes boring.  I used to be nervous about phonecalls way back when. So I consciously took a job as a telemarketer for a summer.  Week one was rough but by the end of the summer  that problem was extremely dead.

Idk man. I was hoping that was the case like three years ago, lol, but it still happens to this day.

It’s always been nerve-racking to me. I finish my first match/set and my heart is racing, and I’m anxious. I don’t really mind except it puts me on edge and I’m not calm, which also means I may not be playing with the most open mindstate.

Edited by Mattatsu
12 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Idk man. I was hoping that was the case like three years ago, lol, but it still happens to this day.

It’s always been nerve-racking to me. I finish my first match/set and my heart is racing, and I’m anxious. I don’t really mind except it puts me on edge and I’m not calm, which also means I may not be playing with the most open mindstate.

Maybe it's cause you're playing a slot machine of death instead of some RPS with execution. If you know why you lost or won -- "I guessed wrong there and dropped there and he read there" -- then fights are much less random.  

(Also games today are too fast. 👴🔊☁️☁️☁️)

In Strive specifically I turn the background music volume to zero and all the volume down so I can just hear it. 

1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

I straight up cannot play a random online game and not get super nervous/anxious. Is that normal?

and casual/ranked doesn’t seem to matter

From the first time I took a deep breath and played a game of Black Ops II on PS3 online to this day, literally a decade later, I fear for my life every time I play a game online.

I'm not sure why, because I don't get mad at games, I don't place my worth as a person into them, and I don't really discuss them outside of dedicated circles. It's never just an offhand topic I bring up. Games are important to me, but not that important.

Still, I always feel a tight collar around me every time I play anything online or in person. I've come to like it. Gives me the kind of thrill you don't get from real life.

Drugs. I'm basically talking about drugs.

41 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I can’t speak for anyone else but for me this feeling has much more to do with the specific game Im playing than it does with any particular feeling inside. Like in SFV or MK11 fighting randoms can definitely be extremely stressful but I have absolutely 0 stress fighting randoms in Strive.

54 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I can’t speak for anyone else but for me this feeling has much more to do with the specific game Im playing than it does with any particular feeling inside. Like in SFV or MK11 fighting randoms can definitely be extremely stressful but I have absolutely 0 stress fighting randoms in Strive.

That’s a good point. It definitely happens more in SFV and MK11 than some other games (like 3S). I wonder what it is about both games that does that?

I do think MK11 is a tad bit better in this case though - it makes me nervous like this, but I normally don’t get tilted. Whereas SFV will make me nervous as well, but it’ll tilt me much quicker

13 hours ago, Dayaan said:

So what was the world like when everything was B&W?

Slower. And blurrier, unless you stood in just the right spot in the living room while touching the rabbit ears.

3 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

@HawkingbirdA childhood dream was to get my picture and name in Tips & Tricks and show my friends.  As an adult I had to settle for getting it up on the Eventhubs results site.  Definitely not the same thrill as picking up a magazine and going "See?  SEE!?"

Speaking of things which no longer exist...

12 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

That’s a good point. It definitely happens more in SFV and MK11 than some other games (like 3S). I wonder what it is about both games that does that?

I do think MK11 is a tad bit better in this case though - it makes me nervous like this, but I normally don’t get tilted. Whereas SFV will make me nervous as well, but it’ll tilt me much quicker

I think a few things contribute to it. 

The most obvious is ladder anxiety. Trying to rank up or finish KL league challenges is stressful. In GGS the ranked ladder has zero incentive for me to play it, so I don’t. The ladder resets monthly or whatever and there is no unlockables or anything I want so I avoid the towers. 

But the biggest thing is how quickly I can get back to fighting. In Strive if I lose it’s no big deal because more often than not I’ll be running it back against that person a dozen more times with more chances to prove myself, learn, have fun, etc. If someone wants to stop playing I’m still in a lobby and can immediately see any potential opponents because of the lobby system and go straight to them. In SFV lobbies you lose and get sent to the bottom of the list to play or head back to the queue to find someone new. 

Gameplay wise Strive also has a more consistent power curve across the match. Both characters start with the same amount of meter and there is nobody is getting an enormous power up when they are close to death. There are good universal options, chip damage matters, and damage is pretty consistently high across the cast. The online is also great, and as of right now at least there is a reasonable amount of characters. Basically what I’m trying to say is there is way less times i feel like I’m getting absolutely fucked by the game when I lose. 

Contrast this with SFV where I match up with someone I supposedly have a good connection with only to get a shit ton of rollbacks. I fight them and I’m winning but I can’t chip them out without dumping my entire super bar. Then they get there VT and suddenly their character is better than me and I feel like im being punished for winning. They’re also using a character im somewhat unfamiliar with because the game has over 40 characters. Then I lose and the person denies the run back to take the 1-0 and run and I get sent back to the games ass tier opponent search and hope I don’t have to repeat all of the above foolishness. There is too much working against me personally having a positive experience, and some of those things are actively trying to make my experience worse.

Edited by Vhozite

I hadn't played any fighting games in weeks. Hopped on SFV a bit last night. Actually did okay. I played 3 ranked sets and 2 casual. Won all them. The fix was in on ranked. I play Kolin and they gave two Sagats. Luckily I'm a Silver Scrub. The first one barely threw any fireballs so it was easy. The second one was chucking plasma so I had to work for that win.