Stage Select

Anime and Manga Thread: Isekai must Die edition

i like demon slayers. the anime is amazing purely based on the work of ufotable. But this mugen train movie confuses me....i dont understand how it broke every gawd damn record in japan and is breaking records in america. Is the pandemic like having drake on your track? just an autobooster for any movie right now? 

4 hours ago, Maxx said:

i like demon slayers. the anime is amazing purely based on the work of ufotable. But this mugen train movie confuses me....i dont understand how it broke every gawd damn record in japan and is breaking records in america. Is the pandemic like having drake on your track? just an autobooster for any movie right now? 

Pretty much, it was one of the few original films when Japan reopened their theaters. That and in Japan the franchise blew up like no other by the end of the first season of the anime to the point it's manga which was ok selling as it was winding down suddenly started to sell enough to do what no other manga has done in years and for a moment outsold One Piece during a year.

And even now it is one of the few that is not also streaming at the same time as it opens in the US. So a couple things but COVID helping isn't the only part.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, RIP. Came here to post but you guys already onto it. 

Edit: googletranslate

[Mr. Kentaro Miura's death report]
Kentaro Miura, the author of "Berserk", passed away on May 6, 2021 due to acute aortic dissection. We would like to express our utmost respect and gratitude to Dr. Miura's painting work and pray for his soul.
May 20, 2021 Hakusensha Co., Ltd. Young Animal Editorial Department

Edited by beesuit

I wasn't a huge fan but respected the art skills. It was Def wayy ahead of where I was mentally in the 90s. But it Def was the first anime I ever saw an image of a black person who didn't look like a 1940s caricature. I don't think I saw a good drawn black person where it wasn't a "possibly Asian with dark skin" thing til I'd say tenjou tenge,naruto(though they fucked with the skin colors depending on the version you saw) and bleach.

15 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Not trying to downplay his work or anything but I am so glad I never started Beserk. 

Anyway rest on peace man. 

The 90s anime is the best depiction, while it cut stuff is some what self contained if want something without having to jump into the massive manga. 

RIP Miura this is another tough year.

• 2 weeks later...

I was finally able to watch the Demon Slayer movie again this week. Having done so, I want to say aside from other stuff myself and others have said about how it came out at the right place and time due to the anime hype and COVID. This movie actually does have a similar kind of thematic emotional core many other popular anime movies rock that find success. It is almost nonsense if you haven't read the manga or anime besides interesting visuals and a few cool fights but I can see more clearly with space and just an open mind sitting on my coach watching while eating a snack pack jello why this movie did as well as it did especially with what many people may have been going through first or second hand at the time.

Personally I found the first half kind of boring apart from the end of it, I always find "trapped in a dream" arcs to be really boring in anime and it didn't really deliver anything to stand apart from those, the fight at the end of that was really nice though and the second half was great but I kind of left feeling that the first half could have really been part of a season and was only there in the move because it hadn't been covered in a series and they needed to both get it out of the way and make up time.

10 hours ago, Wellman said:

I will need to figure out how erase smug Usopp from my memory.

I just realized that Luffy and Usop are the Twincesters. Lol. I can never unsee it now

also, does anyone know who was the animation studio that did the adaptation of The World Ends with You? It looks so damn good. 

Edited by iStu X

I'm probably the only one who cares about this. Nonetheless.....

City Hunter Season 2 part 1  Bluray comes out on July 27!

https://www.rightstufanime.com/City-Hunter-Season-2-Part-1-Blu-ray

City Hunter Season 2 , part 2 Bluray comes out on September 28!

https://www.rightstufanime.com/City-Hunter-Season-2-Part-2-Blu-ray

Edited by DangerousJ

lmao, Maid dragon s2 actually went and animated the MV to the first season's OP song. 
EatZa5O.png

On 7/10/2021 at 11:21 AM, Iduno said:

Personally I found the first half kind of boring apart from the end of it, I always find "trapped in a dream" arcs to be really boring in anime and it didn't really deliver anything to stand apart from those, the fight at the end of that was really nice though and the second half was great but I kind of left feeling that the first half could have really been part of a season and was only there in the move because it hadn't been covered in a series and they needed to both get it out of the way and make up time.

The first half felt a little lack luster for sure. Especially considering how much emphasis they put on the train at the end of the first season not to mention all the promo material regarding it too. It really was a disjointed  a  first and second half. If there's one thing that i thought the film did well, it was the nonstop constant ramp up though. Like each minute was always better than the last until it just absolutely sky rocketed. I mean the first half had its moment for sure, but then once it ended it was just like alright kiddy gloves are coming off now, this is the real shit that's going to start now. 

Edited by beesuit
On 7/17/2021 at 5:06 PM, Hecatom said:

Spoilers for the DBS manga

Hide contents

Suposedly, this is Vegeta Hakkaishin, aka his god of destruction form

e0097ebb-c132-45dc-b475-d1760742f649.jpg

41485bab-e7fa-4355-bb3b-95ebf2d961b6.jpg

Spoiler

So SSJ3 without as much hair and a different color. I know we have seen when they try somethings it doesn't work but I still want them to try new stuff if they are just going to introduce new transformations.

On 7/28/2021 at 9:33 PM, Wellman said:
  Hide contents

So SSJ3 without as much hair and a different color. I know we have seen when they try somethings it doesn't work but I still want them to try new stuff if they are just going to introduce new transformations.

its a god of destruction power though its not like any of the other gods every transformed. so we shouldnt expect too much.....alot of the new stuff is toned down forms now.

6 hours ago, Maxx said:

its a god of destruction power though its not like any of the other gods every transformed. so we shouldnt expect too much.....alot of the new stuff is toned down forms now.

I thought the way they handled Top was pretty good. He got a lot more muscular, had better standing posture (which felt like he grew a few more inches) along with that symbol on his chest.