Stage Select

Anime and Manga Thread: Isekai must Die edition

If you guys are into Kirby and gag manga, I recommend checking out Kirby Manga Mania. The first two volumes are out. I think my favorite story of vol. 1 is where Kirby and Dedede founded their own nations.

Also, Animal Crossing: New Horizons Desert Island Diary vol. 1 released on Tuesday. Like Kirby, this is a gag manga for kids but still enjoyable. If the first chapter is any indication, the humans are nuts and the villagers are the only sane ones. Annnnd it looks like Dom just encourages their antics.

EDIT: Looks like Tom Nook is the only sane person and dealing with the crazies on the island is taking a toll on him.

Family Guy Cockroach GIF

Edited by RegH81
On 9/21/2021 at 8:11 PM, Hawkingbird said:

When will Hollywood and Japan learn, just cause you can CG stuff better then in the past, like the armor and attacks, doesn't mean every battle anime/manga can make a good live action adaptation. 

That being said WTF at this cast do they owe people money or is the money they are getting paid that good?

On 9/21/2021 at 9:11 PM, Hawkingbird said:

If only this served as a catalyst to get a new English dub for the anime. What they did was criminal.

Imagine going from a timeless, kick ass opening

to this crapola done by "Bowling for Soup"

When TV Asahi, a television network in Japan, conducted a nationwide survey for the one hundred most popular animated television series, Saint Seiya anime came in twenty-fifth place.[82] In his number #271 of January 2001, Animage listed the anime series among the "Best 100" animes of the Twentieth Century.[83] The anime series won the Animage Anime Grand Prix prize in 1987.[84]

It's one of the greats and super popular in South & Central America and Europe. They have given Saint Seiya a really bad treatment in North America, and a lot of people have been robbed of enjoying it at its fullest.

I just found out there were 3 different dubs wtf lol

There are three English dubs of the anime series, one of which is heavily edited, and the other two of which are uncensored. The first two dubs to be produced are incomplete. In North America, the edited dub premiered on Cartoon Network on August 30, 2003, with only the first 32 episodes airing on Cartoon Network and 40 on YTV before the series was cancelled.[6] This dub, re-titled Knights of the Zodiac, was licensed by DIC Entertainment.[31] The edits made to this dub included cutting overly violent scenes, adding in previously non-existent digital scene transitions, coloring all instances of blood blue and renaming it "magical energies," rewriting the scripts, renaming several characters, and replacing the opening theme, ending theme, background music, and sound effects.

ADV Films licensed the home video rights to the series and released the DIC-dubbed episodes. In addition to this, ADV also released a separate DVD series featuring the original, uncut Japanese version of the show with English subtitles, which also included a new, uncut dub (with a different voice cast than the one used by DIC). ADV's dub, in addition to being uncut, also kept all of the original music and featured dub scripts that were much closer to the original Japanese dialogue. The first 60 episodes were released in this way. In early 2009, the uncut version was reissued in two box sets, and ADV had expressed an interest in releasing the rest of the series uncut and completing their uncut dub. However, ADV shut down and ceased operations later that year.

A DVD set entitled "Saint Seiya: Sanctuary Classic Complete Collection" was released to DVD in the US on April 15, 2014, by New Video, containing the first 73 episodes in Japanese with English subtitles.[32][33] On June 20, 2014, and September 2, 2014, two Blu-ray boxsets were released in Japan, containing all 114 episodes of the classic series, restored in high definition video and audio along with extra materials.[34] Additionally, on April 1, 2015, TV Asahi in Japan began re-airing the original anime series to commemorate its 30th anniversary, as well as the 30th anniversary of the manga upon which it is based.[35]

Just finished marathoning the 1st 2 seasons of Yowamushi Pedal, my brother and I started watching the 1st episode mostly as a joke since he is into cycling alongside with my brother in law the lil brother of my in law and the husband of a cousin , where they have even participated in events, we didn't expect to be hooked by it and finish the 1st 2 seasons on 3 binges, lol.

On 10/7/2021 at 9:05 PM, beesuit said:

Speaking of sports shows, I just finished the first season of Haikyuu as well.
I started it earlier this year and was watching it in little small episode spurts, then i just did like 15 episodes over 2-3 days lmao

Maybe now I'll might be able to catch up before the final season if it hasn't already ended lol

Well shit, i just finished the 2nd and 3rd season now too. 
Just the 4th season left and then I'm stuck waiting with everybody else lmao

This shit is great too
sarah ✨ on Twitter: "the character in haikyuu i relate to the most… "

Edited by beesuit

Finished the 4th season of Yowamushi Pedal.

Perhaps is a combination of watching around 113 episodes in less than a week, and finding out mid season that i will have to watch the 5th season to see the end of the race (fucking end me), but i was left with the feeling that this season was kind of weak when compared to the other ones, in some aspects i felt that there was a retreat on the growth of the main characters in terms of their strength to justify to put them on the underdog seat once again.

And while i enjoyed the rival team on the 1st race, on this one, outside some chars, i feel that they get their wins handed to them just for plot convinience, to put them on the seat of the people to beat.

All while putting the main cast on the short end with situations that make them don't have their plans as intended to handicap them.

And their talk about being strong feels arrogant, since key characters of the rival team keep looking down on their opponents, something that the old team didn't, even when they also talked about being the strongest team, they never underestimated their opponents, which in turn brought an interesting dynamic, where, yes, the main characters where underdogs, but the champions looked at them as worthy opponents that they had to go all out, otherwise they could steal wins to them (which they did).

It was the 1st time during my whole binge where i felt the need to just skip some scenes because i either felt the action was being dragged out or because i was uninterested on the character, and didnt want to bother with his backstory. (I didn't but i was really tempted on those 3 instances)

I still enjoyed it, and i am still hyped for the 5th season, and for what little i heard, it seems that this last races will be good, so hopefully, it was just a little misstep on what overall has been a fun watch.

It seems that there is also a spinoff focused on the old senior cast, dunno if is a series or a movie, but i will watch it later, i still need to finish The Alienist.

Edited by Hecatom

It's been a while since I've watched Yowamushi pedal, but I think I remember liking S4 more than S3. However I think the first two seasons are leagues better than the last two. I binged the first season then watched the other seasons week by week when they were airing. I think it mostly comes down to the cast. Still the S4 opening was pretty awesome as I last remembered it.

14 minutes ago, globe said:

If you guys are looking for more sports anime to watch then Diamond no Ace is pretty good, it's baseball related. Blue Lock (soccer) anime comes out next year I think and I like that series quite a bit.

Dai No Ace is phenomenal. Omg. Sawamura is one of the best written sports shonen protagonists ever.

He’s up there with Sakuragi from Slam Dunk imo

Edited by iStu X

Actual good plot developments tied to the lore of DB, wonderful chapter. Wonder what caused Bardocks change of heart? I'm guessing the birth of Goku, and him seeing kid Gramolah gave him a different perspective on how he's been living 

And I figured Gas would end up being the big bad, looks like it's heading towards that unless there's a twist

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2021 at 10:57 AM, HD-Man said:

Actual good plot developments tied to the lore of DB, wonderful chapter. Wonder what caused Bardocks change of heart? I'm guessing the birth of Goku, and him seeing kid Gramolah gave him a different perspective on how he's been living 

And I figured Gas would end up being the big bad, looks like it's heading towards that unless there's a twist

Canon wise they put in hints bardock wasn't like other saiyans in broly movie. He was noted to be weird and more of a Thinker than others of the warrior class. He showed more care already 

• 2 weeks later...