Stage Select

Anime and Manga Thread: Isekai must Die edition

After 10 years it's finally here

Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War adapts the last story arc of the Bleach manga, which was never covered in the anime. The trailer opens with a recitation of the prophecy of “The Confined Quincy King,” referring to the foretold revival of Ywach, the ancient king of the Quincy civilization. The Quincy are the people which Bleach character Uryu Ishida is descended from, a group of humans with powers that rival those of Soul Reapers. The trailer then transitions into a montage of many of the characters present in the arc, including the Captains of Soul Society’s Gotei 13, and members of the Quincy’s elite Stern Ritter. Characters who previously did not appear in an anime adaptation like Bambietta Basterbine, Bazz-B, Jugram Haschwalth, Asguiaro Ebern, Quilge Opie, and Ywach himself will make their debut in Thousand-Year Blood War.

FWtZH_BVQAEdxpR-725x1024.jpg

In a recorded message, Bleach creator Tite Kubo confirmed that he’s involved with all aspects of the anime production. He said that they’re working on covering some material, such as battles and scenes he couldn’t get into in the manga, with the anime adaptation.

The Viz Media panel also confirmed key staff positions for the project at Studio Pierrot, which is animating it. Tomohisa Taguchi, who worked on Akudama Drive and Kino’s Journey – The Beautiful World, will direct the show. He’ll work on scripts too, alongside Masaki Hiramatsu. Character designs and music will once again be provided by Masashi Kudo and Shiro Sagisu, respectively. Most of the voice cast is also returning, though Binbin Takaoka will play Genryusai Shigekuni Yamamoto. Yamamoto’s original voice actor Masaaki Tsukada died in 2014. Some newer voice roles for characters from the Soul Society Royal Guard, Stern Ritter, and others were cast for Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War.

Hopefully they'll do something extra for that final battle...

1 hour ago, HD-Man said:

Started watching Bastard, why this nigga always end up somehow naked? 🤦🏾‍♂️😂

That's how Darsh gets chicks!

On 7/3/2022 at 12:52 AM, Crucades said:

Enjoy, it's a rare classic

Just finished binging it on Prime and it didn’t disappoint.  Askeladd is (was) DAT NIGGA, Floki’s a bitch (wish he would’ve got his), Bjorn’s a real one, and Thorkell’s certifiably insane. I planned on buying this on Blu-Ray months before watching it, but it was a little expensive on RightStufAnime. Because of Thorfinn, I now have to start new games in Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen and Elden Ring running the dual dagger rangers lmfao.

Edited by hanzohattori12

I've watched the 2021 Rurouni Kenshin movies in an airplane recently and got hooked, so I started watching the old anime and man, am I disappointed. It's not nearly as good as I remember it being when I was a kid. Loved the 2 live action movies, though. Will give the other 3 a shot too. And the OVA's. Those look interesting. It does look like a story better told in movie format that serialized, because the good stuff is clearly there... but the anime is just a chore to get trough.

Edited by Dracu
3 hours ago, HD-Man said:

I remember Rourouni Kenshin anime having alot of filler, and they never got to adapt the last arc. Gotta pick select parts, (and make sure you watch the illegally so the mangaka doesn't get a dime) 

Yeah, I've basically finished all canon material by now. There's a couple more episodes at the end which are adaptations, according to this  list https://www.animefillerlist.com/shows/rurouni-kenshin. I'll try to skim trough the rest, but what interested me, the Kyoto arc, I've already finished.

8 hours ago, HD-Man said:

I never got around to reading the final arc (they should animate that one day) or the last two live action movies. I'll pick a day to catch up on Kenshin.

Shit was my jam back in the day

The last two movies were great. Especially the prequel one. I'm watching the Trust and Betrayal OVA now and I must say I prefer the movie version.

So I treated myself to some Blu-rays for my birthday. After so many freaking years, I can FINALLY watch Mobile Fighter G Gundam. I got both volumes that collects all the episodes and dang, does this series look nice. And the music still slaps. Also, some of the English VAs definitely sound familiar. Like, I know Domon's VA plays X in X8, Command Mission and Maverick Hunter X but Rain and the other cast also sound like I've heard them some place before.

I also picked up Cyborg 009 on Blu-ray via Discotek, one of my fav companies to do Blu-ray releases.

3 hours ago, VirginDefiler said:

whats the difference between might gai's red beast 8 gates mode, and goku's kaio ken tech? seems like both techs are exactly the same. dontcha think?

No. While both are amplifiers, but each gate level gives you access to a different ability. As well as opening the final gate is instant death of used too long. Supposedly rock can use it but we haven't seen it. Only two people have used the 8th gate and both died. Might had to be brought back by ninja jesus. Gate of death is literally eating up your body. That red vapor? That's actually blood being vaporized. 

Kaio ken while theoretically could kill goku he just gets exhausted and relies on a diff tactic. 

8 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Watching Saiyan’s play a game of pick-up again. 

Kuroko is some wild ass shit. 😂

kuroko no basket GIF

ive watched alot of sports anime and its absolutely the most shonen ass sports anime. the fact basketball basics are super powers..the ability to break ankles is a fucking OP power in this lmfaoo

the movie is forbidden jutsu for the fact they stole and1 mixtape moves lol.

Edited by Maxx
7 minutes ago, Maxx said:

ive watched alot of sports anime and its absolutely the most shonen ass sports anime. the fact basketball basics are super powers..the ability to break ankles is a fucking OP power in this lmfaoo

You’d like Eye Shield 21 and Yowamushi Pedal then. They both battle shonen af. 

Edited by iStu X
On 7/16/2022 at 1:05 AM, Maxx said:

heard of the former but not the latter. ill check them out

Yowamushi Pedal focuses on Road bicycle racing, me and my brother started watching it during the holy week, and basically became obsessed with it, we watched all the seasons available in like 4 days, lol.

The new season will start around september or october.

On 7/15/2022 at 11:57 PM, Maxx said:

Prince of Tennis literally killed the dinosaurs.

Michiko to Hatchin is a good anime, while you can see elements that were on CB and SC, it is more of a road trip anime than action (there is still action and fights, but in less quantity) the key focus of the anime is on the relationship between the 2 main characters and how both of them grow and how they influence each other.

Is also an anime that mixes a lot of latin american, specially brazillian culture with japanese culture and sensibilities.

So i watched Shaman King, both series back to back. I must say that I much prefer the old anime's pacing. Sometimes these character and their evolution needs more room to breath. The new series is crazy fast. That worked for me when watching the introduction part, which is the same between both series. It served as a nice recap, with the proper changes made to accommodate the later developments. However, once new material kicks in, I felt like everything was going crazy quick. Not all of it needed expanding, but there's certainly a couple of parts that I wish they took more time to develop. However, the 2021's show's later half blows the old story out of the water with ease and makes the show worth to watch. Many characters get much better development, including villains and the story is simply more entertaining. The old show's later half is a slog to get trough. The biggest change for me comes with Lieserg. I despised him in the old show, but the new one actually got me to tolerate him. 

All in all, I prefer the old show's first half, before it diverges from the manga, better than the new show, but the new show has a much better later half, so it evens out. However, I go with the new show, for the best experience, if I were to chose.

One other thing, while the old show has a very choppy 2000's animation style, with barely any movement at all, I can't say the animation of the 2021 version is much better. I expected a lot more sakuga, but it's not that much better. Of course, it's much prettier than the old show, but I found it to be lacking in some aspects. Maybe I had too high expectations.

Looking forward to Flowers. 

14 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

I knew none of those, but #7 may be of interest if you like:

Can you post the actual list? Not clicking on Kowacku links. 🤣

11 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Michiko to Hatchin is a good anime, while you can see elements that were on CB and SC, it is more of a road trip anime than action (there is still action and fights, but in less quantity) the key focus of the anime is on the relationship between the 2 main characters and how both of them grow and how they influence each other.

Is also an anime that mixes a lot of latin american, specially brazillian culture with japanese culture and sensibilities.

Ash_IN.gif

15 hours ago, iStu X said:

apparently I anime more than Kotaku. Which is saying a lot, cause I don’t anime. But I’ve heard of/watched almost all these 

Same but I do watch a good some, outside of the one that sounds like Sens8, Kiz-something not sure there are too many Kiz/Kiv sounding anime, I was aware of or watched everything.