Stage Select

Anime and Manga Thread: Isekai must Die edition

Isekai is possibly the worst genre besides harem bs and then it can be even worse since most brain dead cookie cutter isekai being crapped out are in fact also harems......shit is horrid.  

We need more actual fantasy stuff the likes of Goblin Slayer and The Promised Neverland.   

Emma is one of the best female protagonist that we have gotten in a while and Beardcutter is just a badass

I saw SAO back when S1 was popping and I honestly didn't hate it. Yes the pacing is shit and yes Cuckitito is OP and trash but eh..... it wasn't that bad. That being said that was like 4 years ago and I dropped anime after that so I wasn't around when the Ieskai floodgates opened. 

My taste in Anime is pretty post 90's early 00's Gundam/Shonen schlock so I'm not to hung up on what Anime isn't right now since I've gotten into some recent shows that entertain me.

I wrote a review about it on the original site a year or two ago. My issue with it is that SAO isn't the worst thing ever. I'd rather watch that over some garbage like Queen's Blade. What I really hated is that Season 2 used a plot element that could've made Season 1 really, good and season 2 itself was overall actual garbage. They finished the main arc of it with about 6 episodes left and they made that all filler so I bailed.

The point from Season 2 that I wanted them to explore was the real life repercussions while everyone was trapped in the game. Shit like what's happening the the players comatose bodies, what is the public at large doing to bring the whole incident to an end, etc. The first season had a bunch of time skips and I feel episodes covering outside happenings would've made it smoother on top if providing a better thought out story. You know like "Kirito is leveling right now so here's some other stuff to dig into instead". The whole premise of the series was wasted potential, and since SAO set the standard, I don't think it will ever be properly done. There's so many things you can do with that conflict especially for a talented writer.

22 hours ago, Angel said:

What is everyone looking forward to from these next few upcoming seasons?

Megalo Box looks pretty hype.

Upcoming seasons?  Shit I'm still waiting for all of last season's stuff to finish so I can binge it all.

Binging is the only true way to watch anime.  Once a week is for plebs, scrubs, and desperate people.

Not sure if it's an april fools joke but ANN is reporting that Toonami aired the first episode of FLCL3 in japanese. Gotta scour the internet now!

It wasn't an april fools joke.

Spoiler

Dunno what to think about this episode. It wasn't terrible but wasn't exciting. I guess I was expecting it to be a lot more whimsical but instead it turned out to be like a k-on episode and I hate that show. For now I'll try hard not to compare it to the original series and wait and see how it all plays out when it finally airs in September

Edited by Pastrami
Reasons
17 hours ago, misterBee said:

So I saw Basilisk for the first time this week.  It's from 2005 but man it's a masterpiece.

Then I saw the 2018 sequel...and it's a burning pile of shit.  I was so disappointed.  Had to drop it after 2 eps.

I think there's eventually a twist to season 2 but I'm not sure. The show isn't even finished yet and I'm a couple episodes behind. I do agree though, Basilisk is one of the most overlooked shows to ever come out of anime. It's an all time favorite for me

But anyway don't you think it's weird that

Spoiler

There are children who strongly resemble Gennousuke and Oboro, even though they never had children before the final episode? And that they even have the same powers?

Also I've been watching Kakegurui since they finally put it on Netflix. The animation is certain segments is really smooth and top notch, but I personally think the soundtrack really tops everything off. Majority of it has a slow build up and really shines within the context of the show, but there's something about the menacing, frantic nature of it that really helps encapsulate how mentally unstable most characters are. It also sounds like some Danganronpa shit so that's a plus for me

Is anyone subscribed to any anime streaming sites? HiDive is running a promotion that will end on the 9th which offers anime at 4 bucks a month for two years. I mainly got it since I'm a cheapskate and also because it was the only place I could find the 2nd season of Food Wars dubbed. I barely pay for anime as it is since I usually stream it for free so it makes me feel a little better to actually pay for it and give back to the creators in a way.

4 hours ago, Pastrami said:

Is anyone subscribed to any anime streaming sites? HiDive is running a promotion that will end on the 9th which offers anime at 4 bucks a month for two years. I mainly got it since I'm a cheapskate and also because it was the only place I could find the 2nd season of Food Wars dubbed. I barely pay for anime as it is since I usually stream it for free so it makes me feel a little better to actually pay for it and give back to the creators in a way.

If I wanted to pay for streaming I might do crunchyroll,  but I've never really looked into it.  Maybe I'll check this out. I don't usually do dubs though. ;)

19 hours ago, Poltergeist said:

I've got Crunchyroll and Netflix for anime. If it's not on those it usually isn't worth watching anyway

Don't know if I agree with that -- there's some good niche stuff out there that I'm reasonably confident isn't on those.  Could be wrong though.

33 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Don't know if I agree with that -- there's some good niche stuff out there that I'm reasonably confident isn't on those.  Could be wrong though.

I mean there's a couple older classic films neither of them have, but then again there is no streaming service that has EVERYTHING ya know? I'm just saying between the two of those I've usually got the majority of what I want to watch, and when they don't have it, it's probably a matter of time

13 hours ago, misterBee said:

It's ok. I still love you. :kissing_wink:

Heh 

Yeah for some reason anime is like the only foreign style of entertainment I prefer hearing in my language baring anime fighting games where that doesn’t matter to me. 

On the the other hand I can’t watch foreign films dubbed cuz it’s just stupid. 

Though I don’t even know if people still dub live action movies. 

Tbh I still use other methods to watch anime online and buy the dvds I want when they come out.

Crunchyroll completely fucked up with the UK when they went legit and Funimation can eat all the dicks for what they did to Dragon Maid.

Also that new boxing show that just launched is sick as fuck, kind of giving me some Redline vibes.

Edited by Iduno
i feel like it
4 hours ago, Iduno said:

Tbh I still use other methods to watch anime online and buy the dvds I want when they come out.

Crunchyroll completely fucked up with the UK when they went legit and Funimation can eat all the dicks for what they did to Dragon Maid.

Also that new boxing show that just launched is sick as fuck, kind of giving me some Redline vibes.

What did they do to dragon maid? All my DVDs are cowboy Bebop, Samurai champloo, and Ghost In The Shell related. I had FLCL but sold it for a couple bucks when I was broke lol

1 hour ago, Poltergeist said:

What did they do to dragon maid? All my DVDs are cowboy Bebop, Samurai champloo, and Ghost In The Shell related. I had FLCL but sold it for a couple bucks when I was broke lol

Same here and subscribed myself to Crunchyroll. Funny enough working on Dragons Maid so what am i missing?

They basicaly completely rewrote a lot of the lines for the dub and had haracters like Lucoa spouting lines that sound like they come straight off tumblr.

Not sure if their sub was effected since I was using another group at the time, found out about it when someone posted about it in the SRK animu thread.

For as much as I love dubs, I understand why the sub community would be up in arms about those types of re-writes. There's a fine line between trying to make sense of something that's difficult to translate and taking artistic liberties to the extremes. But I think comedy anime is just too fucking hard to dub right because so much of it so deeply entrenched in Japanese puns and subtext that most non Japanese speaking audiences will not get the references unless they're a huge huge huge fucking weeb.  A good example of this is Dagashi Kashi, which has a great dub but falls into the "you wont get this reference unless you are Japanese" trap. Although from what I've seen they didn't try to take away the cultural aspects of the candy and it's history to appease the normie anime audience. But many people still wondered why Funimation would even attempt to dub that show in the first place.

This is also why I'm not a huge fan of slice of life/moe blob comedy cuz I'm not interested in Japanese humor.

That being said the sneeze because someone is talking about you gag still gets a chuckle from me.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Pastrami said:

For anyone that's reading Shokugeki no Souma, I bet the sound is coming from the students' clothes exploding off their bodies due to the epic smell of the dish haha

I really love watching Shokugeki.  The animation quality in this latest season has dropped a bit though. =/

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 11:58 PM, Deadly_Raver said:

If Goblin Slayer is triggering, I hope these poor fools are never faced with NGE or ANYTHING from the 80s.  They won't know what hit them........................much like the cannon fodder that constantly got sliced up in the 80s.

They need a dose of the good ol' NGE+Akira=Instant Depression recipe to toughen them up. 

With Ninja Scroll for desert.

893f5a54dcb9c30942e9d47360bbba8689b2d583

QhUb.gif

Edited by Zero
21 hours ago, Zero said:

They need a dose of the good ol' NGE+Akira=Instant Depression recipe to toughen them up. 

With Ninja Scroll for desert.

OVAs and movies are on a different level though.  OVAs were always more fringe and where all the crazy stuff came from.  TV was relatively much more tame.

I do love me some 80s/90s anime though.  Bio-Booster Armor Guyver is still my favorite.

tumblr_ne5rdio6JB1s81xnto1_1280.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...