Stage Select

Anime and Manga Thread: Isekai must Die edition

• 2 weeks later...

New Saint Seiya spin-off that I wasn't aware of. Sounds interesting. Still need to watch Soul of Gold.

327906588_1603312440141953_7921573017402

A fifth spin-off manga series by Tsunaki Suda, titled Saint Seiya: Rerise of Poseidon (聖闘士星矢・海皇再起, Seinto Seiya: Kaiō Saiki, lit. "Saint Seiya: The Return of the Sea Emperor"), started serialization in Champion Red on September 16, 2022.

On 1/10/2023 at 12:27 PM, Dracu said:

Anyone here up to date with the Berserk manga? I've lately been thinking of starting to read it and I'm interested in the final released chapters. I'd like to know what's the general gist of the story (without spoilers if possible) currently. I've watched the 90's Berserk show, so I know the gist of the story as a whole, but I want to know what the current arc is about. And is it anywhere near to the end, so Miura's successor would not have that much work to do once the series resumes, or is this going to take like 20 more years?

The anime cliffhanger at the end left me gasping for air, but I'm much more satisfied with letting the story end there, than in a much less satisfying cliffhanger, considering I imagine the last released chapter was not intentionally designed to be a satisfying ending point. At least the anime ends does have some finality to it, even though it's like, not even a fourth of the story.

While there's a ton I don't know it does look like it's moving towards the finale, I'm not quite sure what's happening since I keep accidentally dropping reading it but I believe Guts is travelling to/has travelled to an Island of Elves to find a way to stop the God Hand. Honestly I'd rather not say too much since I really don't want to spoil things for you but I don't see it being a waste of your time to start reading it. Unless you're also worried about the release schedule of new chapters then yeah, it could be rough

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2023 at 8:08 AM, HD-Man said:

The sudden dark turn My Hero takes needs to be studied. Not that im complaining,  just caught me off guard and it seems to progressively get worse

Yeah, I am still reading the manga but it really doesn't get much better so far as it becomes a mad dash to a conclusion.

On Captain Pikachu, if they don't have that Pikachu do a homage to the "Bright Slap" I am going to hate that waste of a Captain's hat. 

On 2/27/2023 at 8:08 AM, HD-Man said:

The sudden dark turn My Hero takes needs to be studied.

Don’t worry, In true MHA none of it will matter, no character will have any personal growth, The villains will still go unpunished and what happens will be forgotten about shortly after some sort of training arc 

Edited by iStu X
  • 4 weeks later...

Binged the first season of Komi Can't Communicate. Loved it. Thought I would check out the manga. Surely, they have a few volumes in English right? By "a few" they currently have vols. 1-23 in English. Took a few weeks, but I got said volumes and I'm waiting for vol. 24 to release.

Last year, I decided to broaden my Osamu Tezuka horizon. I copped Princess Knight as well as Clockwork Apple, Melody of Iron. Would be nice if Phoenix could get reprinted.

Naoki Urasawa is becoming one of my favorite manga authors. I really enjoyed the first five books of Asadora! I just started reading Pluto vol. 1 and I am SO loving. Pluto is a new take on the Astro Boy story The Greatest Robot on Earth, which I made sure to read to prepare myself for Pluto. In the original story Pluto went around destroying the most powerful robots on the planet. Pluto begins with one of the robots already dead and builds mystery from there.

20th Century Boys sounds really interesting and I picked up the first two books in the Monster series. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished vol. 1 of ATOM: The Beginning. Pretty cool series.

Finally finished watching Neon Genesisn Evangeleon. I haven't seen that series in over a decade. I watched the Netflix redub. I'm sure there are those in the "The changed it, now it sucks" camp, but I really wasn't bothered by the new dub. And I forgot just how whacked out the final two episodes are.

One of the shows I'm watching this season is Dead Mount Death Play.

Setting aside that its premise isn't exactly fresh, I have to admit the show hits its story beats like they're on fire.  Like 4/5 episodes so far leave you hype to see where the next episode is going.

Edited by Reticently
2 hours ago, RegH81 said:

Been a hot minute since I watched Trigun. Thanks to Adult Swim, it became one of my favorite animes. Picked up the series on DVD about a year ago and finally decided to binge it. Legato is one of the coolest villains ever. His first meeting with Vash is a perfect encounter. The dialogue, the setting, the music. Dang, man.

Agreed.

Yet somehow the people who made Trigun Stampede didn't understand anything that made the original series great.

On 5/24/2023 at 7:24 PM, IcyBlackDeep said:

Agreed.

Yet somehow the people who made Trigun Stampede didn't understand anything that made the original series great.

That is the blessing/curse of adaptations. Sometimes they get the assignment and do it well. Sometimes they exceed and surpass the original. And sometimes the teams behind the adaptation fails. 

But at least it wasn't the giant turd that was 'Thr Way of the House Husband' levels of terrible. Jeez, it almost makes me agree with the rumor on why we haven't gotten a Yotsuba adaptation. 

• 2 weeks later...