Stage Select

Anime and Manga Thread: Isekai must Die edition

Nothing else even comes close imo.   A Place Further than the Universe is strong runner up.  

Zombie Land saga was a dumb but fun show that I really enjoyed at the end of the year as well as Goblin Slayer.   Golden Kamuy was just a good ride all around imo even with the bad cgi.    Megalobox was also cool even if it was too short imo. 

edit:  That revue starlight anime was weird but had some incredible animation, also Hinamatsuri

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Angel said:

Surprised at a packed theater for the premiere of a Dragon Ball movie?   This dude sleeping.

These Sasuke memes however should not be slept upon.

50061173_554029455110781_715484598099771

Dragonball Super: Broly made 7 million in one day in the US. Resurrection F made 1.9 million in 3 days. So yeah  I was surprised at how packed it was. The DB movie released like this did pull near the crowd.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Angel said:

lol You must have thought Goblins slayer was gonna be all rampages and rape XD,  and the whole teaching switch in Slime kinda lost me

It's a cool show for Dnd folks like myself.      Have you started Shield Hero aka being a black man in america the anime?

Nah man, Goblin Slayer let me down because it doesn't really go anywhere.  It's yet another generic anime adventurer/guild/DnD thing that doesn't really do anything special.  Honestly Grimgar and a bunch of others that came before did it better.

Slime goes downhill once his little country is all setup.  Lilim/big fish/teaching are all super bland arcs.  Didn't like the AI helper thing he has either...show would have been a lot better if they didn't narrate everything he does like it's some kind of MMO.  I just want to see things happen, not get a bunch of 'skills' explained to me.  It's kinda lazy.

I'm getting tired of web/light novel adaptations.  It feels like a bunch of these authors played a few fantasy games/MMOs and didn't try to do much more than emulate those while adding anime boobs and a ton of tropes.

I mean goblin slayer gave you just what is said it would.....the slaying of goblins lol.     But like I said for actual dnd players it has a lot of cool details and interactions that only we would appreciate I guess. 

Anyways apparently this facebook anime group I am in has some actual pull and got an interview with singing voice of Carole from Carole and Tuesday.

@MillionX

10 hours ago, Angel said:

I mean goblin slayer gave you just what is said it would.....the slaying of goblins lol.     But like I said for actual dnd players it has a lot of cool details and interactions that only we would appreciate I guess.

Naw man.  I used to DM, so  I get the references -- I just don't think it's that great.  The DnD-style adventurer/guild thing in anime has been done to death already at this point, and I think it's just been done better elsewhere.

77976l.jpg

This show is still the standard for serious DnD isekai!

Oh yeah I forgot you do play lol.   Naw Grimgar is cool for a slow as it was but GS just had so many funny little details and references to actual dnd, like the whole eye of the beholder thing or the way they made scrolls work like they actually do in dnd and their entire convo about it, down to the whole food comparison and campfire cookout.   Also Goblin Slayer isn't an Isekai so I don't get why you would compare it to one.   Also you say done to death?   Like what other shows are you talking about?   Record of lodoss war XD

• 2 weeks later...

Does Reiner belong on the list?  He's a bad guy...but he's not a BAD guy.

On 4/25/2019 at 4:40 PM, Angel said:

Oh yeah I forgot you do play lol.   Naw Grimgar is cool for a slow as it was but GS just had so many funny little details and references to actual dnd, like the whole eye of the beholder thing or the way they made scrolls work like they actually do in dnd and their entire convo about it, down to the whole food comparison and campfire cookout.   Also Goblin Slayer isn't an Isekai so I don't get why you would compare it to one.   Also you say done to death?   Like what other shows are you talking about?   Record of lodoss war XD

They don't have to be an isekai but I'm sick of seeing anime where they do the guild/adventurer/quest thing.  It's a lazy way to make characters go on adventures/interact with each other without having to put any effort into it.  Adventurer guilds are the fantasy version of high-schools.  They're lazy constructs that were interesting once but used as a crutch now.

• Grimgar
  • Goblin Slayer
  • Danmachi
  • Konosuba
  • Isekai Maou

Those are just off the top of my head and from the past 2 years.  Once you replace 'adventurer guild' with 'I played a western RPG once/saw LOTR' generic fantasy the number of entries on the list multiplies exponentially.

You can't do high-school dramas as well with isekai so the new hotness is bland western-style stuff/vaguely MMO-ish things.

Not all the shows are bad (some of them are great) but a lot of them are just rehashing the same thing.  Why come up with a new concept or setting when you can just do the same generic fantasy thing and put new girls in?

Lol I mean genres are a thing for a reason.   I am pretty sure konosuba doesn't belong anywhere near those others since it is literally a comedy making fun of isekia.   I will agree that isekia is super oversaturared and has been for the past decade.  But an isekia is a lot different than just having Tolkien  fantasy elements.    That being said you should at least check out Shield hero.  Also fuck Reiner

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...