Stage Select

The Metroid Thread: The E.M.M.I. just want a hug! (Dread Available Now)

29 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I don't know what the fuck I'm doing with these sequence breaks. I somehow got the screw attack before getting the space jump. I can't do shit with just the spin boost. Send help.

No, but I'll write this down so I won't do the same. 🤣

So I’m likely looking way too much into it but Jeff Grubb casual mentioned on Twitter than Metroid has been kind of a proving ground for Mercury and Nintendo’s relationship and if Dread sells around what he expect it will (5m+) that he wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo enters acquisition negotiations with them before anyone else can. 

Edited by iStu X

The dude has more than one of these videos. I had to laugh at this one. It describes me being stuck for two hours and realizing I passed a breakable block like a half dozen times. 🤣

At least I can laugh about it, and despite it describing my situation not call for someone to be canceled. 👀

Edited by Darc_Requiem

I 'm fighting the final boss right now and after finding out what to do for phase 2 dude pulls out phase 3...and what a fucking manly way to announce phase 3.   I was like is this the end?   And then he goes and does that and I'm like "oh..."  and then Immediately died in 2 hits cause his melee hit boxes are WIDE AF. 

Edit: Beat it.  8:53 was my final time.  That ending was chaos.  Game was incredibly satisfying.  Now I"m just going to roam the areas looking for stuff that I missed for the inevitable next playthrough and I can also now fully read ya'lls spoilers.

Edited by Sonichuman
8 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Raven Beak needs to be in the next Smash game. The series needs Metroid reps that isn't another Samus.

Raven gotta be one of the coolest characters they put out in this game.

That opening scene...

Spoiler

No, this is not Raven posting, even though I'm sure he got enough money to stack from the top of ZDR all the way up to his ship. Accept your helplessness and hold that Dormammu super while he god presses you for a gorillion damage.

3 hours ago, iStu X said:

So I’m likely looking way too much into it but Jeff Grubb casual mentioned on Twitter than Metroid has been kind of a proving ground for Mercury and Nintendo’s relationship and if Dread sells around what he expect it will (5m+) that he wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo enters acquisition negotiations with them before anyone else can. 

It'd be nice for them to have someone to rely on to do a good 2D Metroid but I have to question whether they'd actually make the acquisition right now or not.  Sure they've made 2 games good/great games for them exclusively thus far and it'd probably be pretty great also to have a Spanish studio under their belt but the last acquisition which was Next Level Games took years and a bunch of games that they made exclusive for the Nintendo's platforms with consistent quality before Nintendo put brought them under the umbrella.  And then let's also not forget that Alpha Dream was pretty damn loyal to the company as a 2nd party made some pretty solid games before things started becoming questionable and they just let them die off.  I don't even think this game surpassing 5 mill would make them attempt to acquire them yet.   I think they'd have to probably make like 2-3 more great games first exclusive to Nintendo and then they'd probably be in an undeniable position where getting brought in would be likely.     I just don't see it happening right now...not yet.

9 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

It'd be nice for them to have someone to rely on to do a good 2D Metroid but I have to question whether they'd actually make the acquisition right now or not.  Sure they've made 2 games good/great games for them exclusively thus far and it'd probably be pretty great also to have a Spanish studio under their belt but the last acquisition which was Next Level Games took years and a bunch of games that they made exclusive for the Nintendo's platforms with consistent quality before Nintendo put brought them under the umbrella.  And then let's also not forget that Alpha Dream was pretty damn loyal to the company as a 2nd party made some pretty solid games before things started becoming questionable and they just let them die off.  I don't even think this game surpassing 5 mill would make them attempt to acquire them yet.   I think they'd have to probably make like 2-3 more great games first exclusive to Nintendo and then they'd probably be in an undeniable position where getting brought in would be likely.     I just don't see it happening right now...not yet.

I dunno, with today's arms race for devs, I really don't see Nintendo letting them get snatched after successfully bringing back Metroid from the depths.

What is their deal with Retro? Sounds like both are on the same situation, maybe a game in another franchise just to play it safe?

5 minutes ago, Volt said:

I dunno, with today's arms race for devs, I really don't see Nintendo letting them get snatched after successfully bringing back Metroid from the depths.

What is their deal with Retro? Sounds like both are on the same situation, maybe a game in another franchise just to play it safe?

Nintendo has owned Retro for almost 20 years 

Edited by iStu X
19 minutes ago, Volt said:

Retro's acquisition is an interesting case.  Like they started out a 2nd party developing Prime 1 and then Spangenberg was doing some shady shit at the time and then NInty had to step in clean house and pretty much bought the company from Spangenberg out right then told the rest of the employees that they were on thin ice complete with the whole 2 finger pointing at the eyes "I got my eyes on you" gesture.  If you want to know the full story of that then Wha Happun's got you covered

SMH @ Spangenberg...you want to talk about someone who fucked around and found out?

Just got home from work. Was turning this theory around in my head while working. Could easily be wrong and since I haven't beat Razor Beak yet this is just based on the convo before you fight him. So spoilers y'all 

Spoiler

So it hit me as I was working that in the intro Adam calls Samus Lady. Like they go out of their way to make sure he calls her that...but I don't remember him calling her that even once during the game proper. If I remember right he always addresses her as Samus. I feel this would have stuck out to me more if I had more time with Fusion or any time more then a first run in Other M but it just wasn't a character quirk that stuck with me. So my thought is...did we get Liquid Snaked the whole game? Was he leading us through ZDR  the entire time on some "Would you kindly?" Bullshit? 

Basically I wanna know if was planning to ask me how I liked his Sunglasses!

On another note in that same cut scene he calls Samus his daughter. You think that's hyperbole or like he adopted and trained her to fight? 

Well gonna try and get back to clipping this birds wings. Like Sonic I got to that third phase and he waxed me in two hits lmao. 

Edited by RSG3
11 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Just got home from work. Was turning this theory around in my head while working. Could easily be wrong and since I haven't beat Razor Beak yet this is just based on the convo before you fight him. So spoilers y'all 

Hide contents

So it hit me as I was working that in the intro Adam calls Samus Lady. Like they go out of their way to make sure he calls her that...but I don't remember him calling her that even once during the game proper. If I remember right he always addresses her as Samus. I feel this would have stuck out to me more if I had more time with Fusion or any time more then a first run in Other M but it just wasn't a character quirk that stuck with me. So my thought is...did we get Liquid Snaked the whole game? Was he leading us through ZDR  the entire time on some "Would you kindly?" Bullshit? 

On another note in that same cut scene he calls Samus his daughter. You think that's hyperbole or like he adopted and trained her to fight? 

To answer your question it's not hyperbole.

Spoiler

He was one of the two Chozo that donated the DNA that was used to enhance Samus. So in a way, she is his daughter since Samus carries some of his DNA.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
7 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Hide contents

Well gonna try and get back to clipping this birds wings. Like Sonic I got to that third phase and he waxed me in two hits lmao. 

Spoiler

It really isn't clear when it stopped being Adam and when it was Raven Beak.  I was under the impression that it was only the last one that was Raven Beak but thinking about it though in retrospect..."Adam" as far as we know was more concerned with her surviving and getting off the planet and then somewhere along the way the shift started being about taking out Raven Beak.  When I do my new playthrough I'll have to see if there were any clues of a shift in personality.

7 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Adam calls her Lady during the intro sequence. Particularly when he tells Samus to treat the assets with care. 

In Fusion Adam doesn't really address Samus as lady until near the end where they decide to fuck with the federation's plans. 

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:
  Hide contents

It really isn't clear when it stopped being Adam and when it was Raven Beak.  I was under the impression that it was only the last one that was Raven Beak but thinking about it though in retrospect..."Adam" as far as we know was more concerned with her surviving and getting off the planet and then somewhere along the way the shift started being about taking out Raven Beak.  When I do my new playthrough I'll have to see if there were any clues of a shift in personality.

Spoiler

It stopped being Adam as soon as Samus lost contact with the ship. Adam addresses her as Samus on the very first network room. 

Edited by Hawkingbird
52 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

It's since the first one. The opening makes sure to show Adam only calls Samus Lady. 

The first Nav Room already has "Adam" calling her Samus and doing some suspect stuff like telling her to return to the ship ASAP instead of continuing on with the mission.

2 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Man I wish we could get a prime Ridley Scott to make a Metroid movie with a prime Natasha Henstridge as Samus.

Metroid has all the things needed to make a really solid sci fi action thriller.  We'll have to probably wait until after the Super Mario movie to see if other IPs will be able to get put on the table.  There's a lot hinging on the Mario movie's success and to a lesser extent Sonic 2.  If both of those movies are success and make good money then that might be the start of the flood gates for better or worse.

3 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Metroid has all the things needed to make a really solid sci fi action thriller.  We'll have to probably wait until after the Super Mario movie to see if other IPs will be able to get put on the table.  There's a lot hinging on the Mario movie's success and to a lesser extent Sonic 2.  If both of those movies are success and make good money then that might be the start of the flood gates for better or worse.

I know the original game and Samus being a woman was heavily inspired by Alien. It could make a great film but it needs the right people. Unfortunately there is a 99.99999% chance they'd fuck it up.

1 minute ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I know the original game and Samus being a woman was heavily inspired by Alien. It could make a great film but it needs the right people. Unfortunately there is a 99.99999% chance they'd fuck it up.

Oh no yeah I have no faith that hollywood won't fuck up something beneficial to the series on some "Kamehamehas heal people" shit.  It'd need someone who cared about the lore to some extent along with someone else who's has a good vision.  Ridley Scott would would be good for obvious reasons but I think Ridley would need someone else there to keep the movie staying true to Metroid.  The main actress would also have to b ok with their face being obscured for a good chunk of the movie and really good with body language. 

39 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Netflix already opened those floodgates with the success of Witcher and Castlevania. They greenlit lots of game adaptations. They're set to have their own Sonic cartoon

2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Netflix already opened those floodgates with the success of Witcher and Castlevania. They greenlit lots of game adaptations. They're set to have their own Sonic cartoon

I'm talking about for movies.  Though if we could get a Metroid series though?  Think that'd be way better.  So far it seems game adaptation might find a better time if they make a show out of it instead of a movie.

If be fine with Ridley being on board as a world builder and cinematographer, he knows how to shoot a film, but he tends to love his own story ideas more then what he's adapting. I love BladeRunner but its one hell of a loose adaptation of Androids Dream. I would like the main director to be someone more willing to stick to creating an adaptation proper then Ridley tends to be. 

I don't really want a Metroid movie that does what the new RE Media Adaptions are doing. 

Edited by RSG3
19 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

I've gotten it once or twice.

And missed about 50 times 😂

I mean I had a feeling that there was a second parry window but I have yet to hit that one so I thought it was just futile.  Also the fact of how they vary the timings for the parry shown in that vid means if you are purposefully getting caught by an EMMI then you are literally playing russian roullette.

Huge spoilers, but I lol'd. 🤣

Btw, for those who want to Air Spark. Y+B cancels the spin jump and goes straight into spark. Eaaaaaasy money.

Edit: Someone made a full map of ZDR using the images from Polygon's guide.

Edited by Volt