Stage Select

The Metroid Thread: The E.M.M.I. just want a hug! (Dread Available Now)

19 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Woah 

Reveal hidden contents

That BADASS suit Samus gets to kill Beak after absorbing his powers. Whew, just SICK

It's been like, 10 days. It should be fine to untag spoilers, right?

I'm not too active in GD, so I dunno how y'all roll with that. 🤷‍♂️

Spoiler

Samus roaring tho... 🤯

34 minutes ago, Volt said:

It's been like, 10 days. It should be fine to untag spoilers, right?

I'm not too active in GD, so I dunno how y'all roll with that. 🤷‍♂️

Hide contents

Samus roaring tho... 🤯

I just wanted to be on the safe side, not sure what the rule is on spoilers. But yea, I need THAT big in the next game, even if it's just there to look pretty

I like the power and crazyness that comes with that suit but I do NOT like the color or design of it when they showed it.  I think my face was visibly repulsed when we got the full look at it.  I get semi the reason why it looks the way it does but I think the shade of green they used I was not a fan of and it just made the suit look ugly to me on the whole.  I think if they had gone with a kind of luminescent green then it may have both fit better and looked better IMO.

18 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Someone should tell Kotaku about subtlety.  She wasn't emotionless...she showed emotion through her body language when was necessary as well as being a bad ass.  Her relaxed posture after being extremely tensed up while meeting Quiet Robe.  The flash of emotion you saw on her face after the meeting.  And all the emotion that she let loose on Raven.  She had just the right amount emotion in this game.

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Someone should tell Kotaku about subtlety. 

My guy, these are the clowns that straight up made an article telling people to pirate the game so they could play on emulator.

Anthony could walk up to them and do a whole ass seminar about subtlety and they wouldn't learn a thing.

Got 100%, time after beating TLB again was 9:29. I did look up something twice- the first time was at the gravity suit, I didn't think I could hit the last red blob I needed to based on beam shots and missiles stopping before getting there. Started to backtrack and decided it had to be something dumb I overlooked, which it was (needed to charge to hit it). Also looked up the missile+ in Ferenia that requires some speed boost gymnastics I didn't even know were possible.

Edited by Camacho

If I had to change one thing about Dread (not saying it's bad or anything the way it is) , I'd make EMMI encounters more random, maybe even rougelike where they wouldn't be stuck inside their zones or atleast move the zones around to a different section everytime you leave the area without the game telling you.

Obviously you wouldn't want them popping up in rooms where u get powerups but make the EMMI something like a far more dynamic like SA-X, where it constantly has you on your toes through the whole game, where u aren't sure if it'll pop up or not increasing the horror/tension 

Hard describe what I'm really trynna say but yea, I'd like something like that in the next game. 

1 hour ago, HD-Man said:

If I had to change one thing about Dread (not saying it's bad or anything the way it is) , I'd make EMMI encounters more random, maybe even rougelike where they wouldn't be stuck inside their zones or atleast move the zones around to a different section everytime you leave the area without the game telling you.

Obviously you wouldn't want them popping up in rooms where u get powerups but make the EMMI something like a far more dynamic like SA-X, where it constantly has you on your toes through the whole game, where u aren't sure if it'll pop up or not increasing the horror/tension 

Hard describe what I'm really trynna say but yea, I'd like something like that in the next game. 

I think i get what you are on about. Personally I think they are bit too predictable in their placement, they always are hunting around the EMMI room you are in, and one thing that made Mr X in RE2 Remake awesome was that he mostly didnt do that. He deffinitly teleported around, but he would be exploring other parts of the station and would port closer if you made a really big noise. The EMMI always just seem to port to the EMMI room you enter and thats a bit lame and makes them predictable. Like they never catch me off guard coming out of a cubby hole or something while moving from EMMI room to another and that would be far cooler then how they ar ejust always wandering around the room you enter most of the time.

Yea, it was hard to word what I wanted to say but that's it, some unpredictability, a sense you can't get TOO comfortable at any time. Mr X is the perfect comparison actually. I honestly feel like we'll eventually get something to that degree in a horror based series like Metroid.

DLC for Dread would be a good litmus test for more dynamic encounters, has Nintendo said anything about additional content speaking of that? 

Edited by HD-Man
54 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Yea, it was hard to word what I wanted to say but that's it, some unpredictability, a sense you can't get TOO comfortable at any time. Mr X is the perfect comparison actually. I honestly feel like we'll eventually get something to that degree in a horror based series like Metroid.

DLC for Dread would be a good litmus test for more dynamic encounters, has Nintendo said anything about additional content speaking of that? 

DLC for Metroid is unprecedented at this time.  TBH I'm not expecting it to happen since I feel this game is pretty complete unless they want to do some form of like epilogue that deals with the changes she went through  but at this point I'd feel it'd be I da know....tacked on and soulless?  I'd rather tackle that subject in a whole new game that'll be bigger in scope and that just being one of the topics the game will tackle. 

I wouldn't mind some Mr.X unpredictability either but can you imagine how much more shit this game would have gotten if they implemented that?  We already got people complaining despite the fact that they load you up right outside the door.

We still haven't heard how well the game has really sold aside from how the charts have been.  Still waiting to see how the NPD ranking looks so we gotta wait till next month.

Edited by Sonichuman

Finished the second playthrough, I'd put Dread right behind Super now. I did start playing Super again for contrast's sake, and man does that game's atmosphere still kick the shit out of almost everything. Someone at Nintendo fucked up royally with Dread's soundtrack, the contrast is almost as stark as comparing the best of 8 and 16 bit music to that annoying "house beat" (or whatever the hell they called it) music/dogshit that infested so many late 90's and early 00's PSX/PS2 soundtracks.  Of course it's not as bad as those, but holy shit, what a wasted opportunity.

On a non musical note, some of Super's sequence breaking feels a lot more natural and easy to stumble across than Dread's. 

I got to the final boss with like 56% something total items with a playtime of around 8:30 or 9:30 (can't remember) and went back to get them all before battling the final boss.

My final save is at 100% around 12:30 and I'd say it took me a good hour to figure out and beat the final boss.

I didn't use any guides or anything and probably the most fun and rewarding feeling was figuring out how to get some of the tougher items using techniques you didn't even know you could do with the shine spark until you needed to use it to get the item.  

Literally the only 2 things I watched about this game were the first 2 trailers and since then I've not watched anything or read anything about it, guides and stuff included.

EDIT:

Was actually intentionally avoiding this thread until I 100% the game and finished it lol.  Been posting my thoughts/opinions/progress on it in the main VG thread.

Edited by purbeast
4 hours ago, Camacho said:

Finished the second playthrough, I'd put Dread right behind Super now. I did start playing Super again for contrast's sake, and man does that game's atmosphere still kick the shit out of almost everything. Someone at Nintendo fucked up royally with Dread's soundtrack, the contrast is almost as stark as comparing the best of 8 and 16 bit music to that annoying "house beat" (or whatever the hell they called it) music/dogshit that infested so many late 90's and early 00's PSX/PS2 soundtracks.  Of course it's not as bad as those, but holy shit, what a wasted opportunity.

On a non musical note, some of Super's sequence breaking feels a lot more natural and easy to stumble across than Dread's. 

I think the Music is actually really good but its definitely not as memorable or melodic as much of the content from Super. They dove a lot harder into atmospheric tunes here then they did back in the day in Super.

14 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I finished watching Max's blind run of Dread and hearing him gush about the series after the finale made me smile.  He's officially a fan (weeb) of the franchise IP now and is gonna try to get caught up on everything before Prime 4 comes out.  Dread really is pushing up this IP eh?  Hoping Prime 4 lives up.

I've only seen the first three parts in their entirety. Did he ever learn that he could slide under EMMI's that was driving me nuts.

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I've only seen the first three parts in their entirety. Did he ever learn that he could slide under EMMI's that was driving me nuts.

LOL I never learned that.  I'm also pretty sure you can counter by pressing X at the right time too but I never did that either.

I actually didn't find the EMMI's too tough after I started to understand to just stay the F away.  I would basically just rush through those sections and sometimes it would see me sometimes it wouldn't, and sometimes it'd get really stressful when he's on my ass.  It took me a while to actually like the EMMI mechanics and I disliked it quite a bit initially.

19 minutes ago, purbeast said:

LOL I never learned that.  I'm also pretty sure you can counter by pressing X at the right time too but I never did that either.

I actually didn't find the EMMI's too tough after I started to understand to just stay the F away.  I would basically just rush through those sections and sometimes it would see me sometimes it wouldn't, and sometimes it'd get really stressful when he's on my ass.  It took me a while to actually like the EMMI mechanics and I disliked it quite a bit initially.

After you counter EMMI's you can slide between their legs. Max ended up dying a few times because he'd counter them, try to jump over them but couldn't.

Pretty good analysis of how Dread guides you along. Very much how I felt on my first playthrough, but as said earlier, looking into some sequence breaking really opened up the game and made it feel more like what I wanted. I'm glad Mercury Steam had the foresight to design (and even encourage) sequence breaking to cater to different types of players. 

7 hours ago, Camacho said:

Pretty good analysis of how Dread guides you along. Very much how I felt on my first playthrough, but as said earlier, looking into some sequence breaking really opened up the game and made it feel more like what I wanted. I'm glad Mercury Steam had the foresight to design (and even encourage) sequence breaking to cater to different types of players. 

I liked that video and honestly thought all of that design was fucking genius.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So...Nintendo put up another Dread report...this one is containing helpful hints to navigate out of tough situations per the Twitter post.

So I kind of grin at this cause I'd didn't think they'd do it but the thought of them doing it tickled me so I click on the Dread report just to see.

And they actually didn't disappoint.  Check underneath the question "I’m stuck because every path seems to be a dead end. How do I move forward?"