Stage Select

The Metroid Thread: The E.M.M.I. just want a hug! (Dread Available Now)

6 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

I really need to get around to beating the second Lords of Shadow. I loved the first game even though I felt like the end dragged on a tad too long. 

Isn’t the sequel more of a Metroid/Castlevania style game?

It isn't really. It's a bit more open world than the first one, but it would be misleading to call it a game from that genre whose name makes RSG's teeth itch 

Way ahead of ya. Have you played into Zero Mission any more?

I only got to play Prime for like an hour yesterday but I’m already at Magmoor Caverns. I will never forget Tallon IV’s map man, it’s burned into my skull.

Dolphin is really something else. Playing the game in 4K really brings out the details this game always had. I’m constantly amazed that a 20 year old game plays so fluently and manages to cram so much detail into every nook and cranny. The fog or drops of water on Samus’ visor, the clever ways they use volumetric lighting to add atmosphere….it’s all stuff we take for granted now but it’s so cool to see these conventions show up so long ago.

Probably just end up beating it today. Unless I get discouraged by the 12 Artifact hunt…..

47 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

Way ahead of ya. Have you played into Zero Mission any more?

Got the Charge Beam real quick. Still on phone tho.

47 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

Dolphin is really something else.

Really the GOAT emulator. Did you manage to set your pad up or are you playing on KB+M?

Edited by Volt
3 minutes ago, Volt said:

Really the GOAT emulator. Did you manage to set your pad up or are you playing on KB+M?

Nah I’m on pad. I was only looking into different control methods in case I decide to emulate Corruption. I’ll probably just end up buying a Wii remote and syncing that through Bluetooth honestly. Would like as genuine of an experience as possible 

Just now, M A R T I A N said:

Nah I’m on pad. I was only looking into different control methods in case I decide to emulate Corruption. I’ll probably just end up buying a Wii remote and syncing that through Bluetooth honestly. Would like as genuine of an experience as possible 

I'd guess Joycons would be close enough too.

Wait, wouldn't you need to set up a sensor bar for a wiimote to work?

15 minutes ago, Volt said:

Wait, wouldn't you need to set up a sensor bar for a wiimote to work?

The name sensor bar is a misnomer, the actual sensors are in the Wiimote.
The bar is just a series of infrared LEDs. You can use two candles like Chad suggested.

The wire that powers the Sensor Bar is just that a power cable, it sends no data or anything of the sort.

I made my own in the past with some IR LEDS, a battery holder, some wire, a switch and something to attached them to.
I used a cheap $1 ruler to glue the LEDs and Battery holder to. My Battery holder also contain the switch. 
Depending on your battery pack you might want some resistors as well. 

This is how the 3rd party Wireless Wii Sensor bars work

All this talk of this being the climax to the Metroid story arc has me concerned. Not about it being the last game but that we will get more bad attempts to add story to a Metroid game. Outside of some post credit scenes and the climax of Super Metroid, I can't say of their previous attempts meshed well with the games.

4 hours ago, Wellman said:

All this talk of this being the climax to the Metroid story arc has me concerned. Not about it being the last game but that we will get more bad attempts to add story to a Metroid game. Outside of some post credit scenes and the climax of Super Metroid, I can't say of their previous attempts meshed well with the games.

Prime Trilogy was fire on that regard, especially Echoes.

I'm mostly curious because Fusion sounded like a good ending to the "Metroid" arc, and a nice transition to the next. I was expecting full Galactic Federation nonsense but apparently Metroids still got more plot.

Weird.

1 hour ago, Volt said:

Prime Trilogy was fire on that regard, especially Echoes.

I'm mostly curious because Fusion sounded like a good ending to the "Metroid" arc, and a nice transition to the next. I was expecting full Galactic Federation nonsense but apparently Metroids still got more plot.

Weird.

Since we got living Chozos in Dread the Metroid threat can't be over. IIRC, the metroids are artificial creatures. Whoever the Chozo we saw could possibility be trying to create more of them. 

If it's anything like the previous Metroid series, or any semi recent switch game

The in-game text follows what ever you set as your default 

Alot of Japanese and Asian versions have English text and sometimes English voice acting. I collect imports and bought from the Japanese Switch e-store 

19 minutes ago, iStu X said:

The Japanese version of dread also has English support according to the Japanese eShop. That said, all the collectors edition text is likely in Japanese. 

so, buy at your own risk 

The Japanese version is already sold out. I checked it first. English version hasn't been opened up for sale yet.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
59 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

The next Metroid star someone new?

They may try, if this is the end of Metroids in the game universe story, you might get away with introducing a new character, game play and calling it something different while still claiming it is the same universe/franchise is Yakuza post Yakuza 6.

1 hour ago, iStu X said:

*End of the Samus/Metroid storyline

I think that's a misquote or mistranslation 
I think he means end of a chapter/era sort of thing when it comes to the continuing story. 

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

The next Metroid star someone new?

I find it unlikely, it's not like they gave the series a chance to introduce anyone else of note who could take over the mantel. 

2 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Nah Nintendo is still a Japanese company. If it were Sony they'd relaunch the game with Samiss the nonbinary homosexual lesbian black asian ginger 👀

Samiss me with that shit bro.  🤣

It's always fun to point out how all these "Feminist Gamers" don't say a peep about Samus that doesn't sound like they're jealous of her body or that the heels on the Zero Suit are stupid (And pretty much everyone agrees on that lmao.)

11 minutes ago, Volt said:

Samiss me with that shit bro.  🤣

It's always fun to point out how all these "Feminist Gamers" don't say a peep about Samus that doesn't sound like they're jealous of her body or that the heels on the Zero Suit are stupid (And pretty much everyone agrees on that lmao.)

Feminist Activists that pretend be gamers are  a cancer on the industry. Them and their simp male feminist cohorts. The "Feminist Gamers" are anything but and their "Male Feminist" compatriots are just wolves in sheep clothing that talk a good game but are usually sexual predators.

17 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Feminist Activists that pretend be gamers are  a cancer on the industry. Them and their simp male feminist cohorts. The "Feminist Gamers" are anything but and their "Male Feminist" compatriots are just wolves in sheep clothing that talk a good game but are usually sexual predators.

This.

This full stop.

10 hours ago, Volt said:

https://metroid.nintendo.com/news/#!/metroid-dread-report-vol--1--a-closer-look-at-the-reveal-trailer

Uhhhhh, low key disappointed in that story premise. But let's see what happens.

Why? Sounds like a great setup for what they’re trying to do imo.

My guess is these rogue Chozo took over the robots sent down to ZDR and force them to attack Samus. 

The only motivation I can think of are one of two things.

1. They want to kill Samus, whom, being infected with the SA-X now makes her a natural predator of their own creations: Metroids.

or 

2. They want her suit (or maybe even her body) to harness the power of SA-X like she can. After all she’s the only organic life form that can not only resist it’s effects, but use them symbiotically.

Can’t see what other benefit killing her would pose to them.

48 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

Why? Sounds like a great setup for what they’re trying to do imo.

The climax of Fusion is all about the reveal of GF cloning Metroids and having an interest in the X parasites' potential, obviously followed by Samus and Adam saying "screw this" and going the extra mile to nuke SR388 too.

Then Dread has Samus working with the Feds again? Doesn't sound right to me tbh.

Also, dunno about that Chozo being evil, maybe he comes through with an assist?

20 minutes ago, Volt said:

The climax of Fusion is all about the reveal of GF cloning Metroids and having an interest in the X parasites' potential, obviously followed by Samus and Adam saying "screw this" and going the extra mile to nuke SR388 too.

Then Dread has Samus working with the Feds again? Doesn't sound right to me tbh.

Also, dunno about that Chozo being evil, maybe he comes through with an assist?

Nowhere does it imply Samus is working with the Galactic Federation. All it says is they found footage of the SA-X existing on ZDR and deployed a unit of research robots that never returned. Samus is investigating of her own accord.

With the Chozo thing it’s really just a guess. Though it’d be really weird to have that tease at the end of the Samus Returns remake only to have a totally unrelated group of “nice” Chozo show up and help her out. 

38 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Samus needed Metroid DNA to even absorb SA-X. She wouldn't be an natural predator to the Metroid. She's practically one herself.

I got it backwards. The Metroids are predators of SA-X not the other way around.  

The second answer is probably the more likely one anyway. Since she has both types of DNA in her, maybe they want to biologically weaponize her unique DNA.

1 hour ago, M A R T I A N said:

With the Chozo thing it’s really just a guess. Though it’d be really weird to have that tease at the end of the Samus Returns remake only to have a totally unrelated group of “nice” Chozo show up and help her out. 

36 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

When you 100% Samus Returns you get a mural of a group of rogue Chozo slaughtering other Chozo. This game can be used to follow up on that.

Oh snap. I was completely unaware of that. That does make things a lot more interesting.

1 hour ago, M A R T I A N said:

Nowhere does it imply Samus is working with the Galactic Federation. All it says is they found footage of the SA-X existing on ZDR and deployed a unit of research robots that never returned. Samus is investigating of her own accord.

Note to self: Don't read and post at 2am. 🤣